Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm sorry that you needed to grind potd just to get into void ark. Do you not have any crafter friends that could make you 220 gear? Also the Nidhogg that everyone is referring to is not the one in the Aery. Same dude, different fight.
Nope, no one was left over from a year ago when i stopped playing. I've transferred servers now to meet up with at least some of them, but at that time crafted gear wasn't an option when even just the belt cost 2.5mil on the MB.

Also since when does "casual play" = grind, all in all it was like 7 hours of fun new content. Do you only ever enjoy the first ten minutes of playtime for any given content patch or what??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I meant more in the sense of sorry that you had to do anything just to get into void ark. Void ark sucks and the gear isn't worth grinding for.

Market prices are going to be ridiculously marked up. A full suit of 220 gear only requires 1160 esoterics and few 100k worth of materials. Seriously, make friends with a 3* crafter. It will save you literal days of grinding.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i play on excalibur and i have completed all of the heavensward release content using ilvl 100 pvp gear left side. its awesome

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I liked Void Ark, at least for the few runs i've done, but it's still fresh to me and i like the comical Event Horizon theme. I'm sure that'll change once i've been in there as often as i've been in Syrcus Tower, but for now i'm cool with it.

PotD was also very nice for me as a returnee as a kind of turbo crash course in "how do i play this 50 class with twenty buttons again?", it was a nice way to get eased into class concepts like the WHM that i leveled to 50 in ARR, but had no clue how to play anymore when i came back.
It also let me play around with other fun stuff like the Bahamut Trance on my lv42 SMN, and it's a cool sight into other classes you could play but couldn't be arsed to level yet, an incentive to branch out more. It's a very accelerated growth curve, but it doesn't just drop two and a half hotbars of abilities on your head, so you can still figure it out as you go along.

What would i need to spend esoterics on for the crafted gear?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
They require materials that can only be bought from a vendor in Idyllshire with (not very much) eso, which is an excuse for MB shitlords to mark all the pieces up four million percent. If melded properly, the 220 crafted pieces are often competitive with 230 Lore pieces, anyway.

Also yeah the legit best use for POTD is to go in on a job you plan on leveling, and take the chance to get all your hotbars nice and set up while you have access to the skills.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Most of the really expensive materials can be bought with esoterics. 1160 is a steal for a full suit, considering you need 2480 for the i200 class-specific esoterics gear, not including a weapon (and you'd need to run void ark 10 times to upgrade it all to i210, still worse than the crafted stuff).

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Nope, no one was left over from a year ago when i stopped playing. I've transferred servers now to meet up with at least some of them, but at that time crafted gear wasn't an option when even just the belt cost 2.5mil on the MB.

Also since when does "casual play" = grind, all in all it was like 7 hours of fun new content. Do you only ever enjoy the first ten minutes of playtime for any given content patch or what??

it's not fun if it's not performed at the absolute maximum possible efficiency. cant you see how much time you've wasted by enjoying old content

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Where is the best place to get time cards for this game? I've always used subscription trough my cc but asking for a friend atm. Preferebly if a digital code if that's a thing.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Void Arks biggest issue is the fights are just really boring with not many mechanics in the mix besides Cuchullainn. It's seriously a chore for me to run it weekly for the farthing, for the last month and a half I've just been running it twice in a row so I can go a week without entering. Weeping City is still fun though, even though Forgall really needs his health slashed.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Scrublord Prime posted:

there's a goon in DGKK that's been trying to move on to Midan but can't round up a party to clear A4 and queues have been brutal.

Tell him to annoy the FC for help because A4 takes like 10 minutes nowadays and is actually really fun to poo poo-stomp with 230 gear, I know I'd join just for the fun of it. DGKK is really good about first-time helping, in my experience!

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Meldonox posted:

I'd be willing to be the guy carried through Nidhogg if we want to show tedium who's boss.

Same.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

mistaya posted:

Tell him to annoy the FC for help because A4 takes like 10 minutes nowadays and is actually really fun to poo poo-stomp with 230 gear, I know I'd join just for the fun of it. DGKK is really good about first-time helping, in my experience!

There is, again, the matter of time zones. If said player is European he's gonna have a harder time. Everyone IS very nice, but it's always going to be a struggle if you have 8 people online, 5 of whom are AFK.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i'm at 15 of each UID, you guys think the smart bet is to stop spending tomes on those and start stockpiling umbrite and getting my 5th aether oil?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah, work on your umbrite now, and don't forget the crystal sand.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

mistaya posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if the queues weren't empty, we did round up four people to clear A2 and A3 which popped quickly. A4 was just barren, we sat without another person getting into our queue for 8m or so before people had to bail. I'll have to appeal to getting somebody a step closer to hearing Brute Justice's theme next time! :v:

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Skaw posted:

Void Arks biggest issue is the fights are just really boring with not many mechanics in the mix besides Cuchullainn. It's seriously a chore for me to run it weekly for the farthing, for the last month and a half I've just been running it twice in a row so I can go a week without entering. Weeping City is still fun though, even though Forgall really needs his health slashed.

Void Ark just feels really dodgy to me because during nearly the entire thing (except for the loving tedious as hell Knot fight and one 'mechanic' in each fight), I was just thinking that this poo poo could just be done with 8 people. Crystal Tower felt like most of the content was built around being done with three groups of eight, Void Ark just felt like it was 24 man so that fuckups could be mitigated or something.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
It's weird set of 24 mans because VA is easily the worst one and WC is probably the best in terms of bosses. I think WOD still wins for aesthetic and music though

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Chucat posted:

Void Ark just feels really dodgy to me because during nearly the entire thing (except for the loving tedious as hell Knot fight and one 'mechanic' in each fight), I was just thinking that this poo poo could just be done with 8 people. Crystal Tower felt like most of the content was built around being done with three groups of eight, Void Ark just felt like it was 24 man so that fuckups could be mitigated or something.

What mechanics, it's void ark PUSHDPS.

Crystal Tower was the best set of 24mans, running them from end to end is still satisfying. VA is garbage and WC is full of idiots.

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

Liver Disaster posted:

Crystal Tower was the best set of 24mans, running them from end to end is still satisfying. VA is garbage and WC is full of idiots.

VA bosses feel like buckets of hp that take a little too long to kill so the limited mechanics stand out that much more. WC can feel the same way but you can usually rely on a bad group or two to keep it interesting as you try to carry their corpses.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
It's weird set of 24 mans because VA is easily the worst one and WC is probably the best in terms of bosses. I think WOD still wins for aesthetic and music though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Atomos is still the best fight in the game

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Had Operation Bone Dragon in XCOM 2 today :haw:

Thanks for listening friends

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Did you attack from the north

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Fishious posted:

I was typing in FC chat after I rolled "watch this drg beat me and win the mount" so I guess I am cynical and pessimistic enough to mount farm.

As if guided by some kind of malevolent spirit, this happened to me today with a terrible tank.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Liver Disaster posted:

I meant the one part of each fight where it just ineffectually goes "guys remember you're in more than one group...please"

Like when the big water dude puts some guys in a circle and then other people not in a circle
Or when Echidna spawns 2 big adds that have to be taken away when she's still around.
And uhhh...

Okay that was it.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Finally gave up tonight and got a WTFast subscription.
So this is what it's like for the game to be playable after 9PM. I had forgotten.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Klades posted:

Finally gave up tonight and got a WTFast subscription.
So this is what it's like for the game to be playable after 9PM. I had forgotten.

I can't really play the game without WTFast. Everything is just so laggy. Feels like every button press takes half a second longer to register.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Choyi posted:

Where is the best place to get time cards for this game? I've always used subscription trough my cc but asking for a friend atm. Preferebly if a digital code if that's a thing.

I always get mine off Amazon, they still use the 1.0 design for the time card but has not failed me yet

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can't really play the game without WTFast. Everything is just so laggy. Feels like every button press takes half a second longer to register.
Dang, I might need to try this. I've had some intermittent lag and DC issues over the past week or so.

Doing some googling, I see both WTFast and Pingzapper mentioned favorably with FF14. I might try both, and see which seems to give me the faster link.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Think about getting Mudfish instead of WTFast. It works as well, but you pay based on time used rather than subscribing, so it ends up being ungodly cheap. I think since January I've used maybe $1.50 across two three hour raid nights a week plus other stuff.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I want a bunch of gaudy glowing weapons. What's the best class for soloing PotD? SCH? DRK? SMN? WAR?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I want a bunch of gaudy glowing weapons. What's the best class for soloing PotD? SCH? DRK? SMN? WAR?

SMN or SCH, I'm doing it with my MNK right now though and it's fine.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
dps classes are probably best for potd, since floors 41-50 can still be handled with a party of four dps without too much risk. SCH and WAR are probably fine but each healer or tank added to the party is going to be slightly more time that you'll be spending on each pack

i see a lot of people without jobstones in the higher floors, i'm not sure if it's people doing powerleveling that don't have their jobs yet, or if they're exploiting the unbound cross class skills to slot revive and cure in case of emergency. either way i don't think it's necessary since potd is plentiful with both phoenix downs and potions, and every floor will have a cairn of return in case of emergency

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i made a big ol' effortpost about smn soloing that you can find in my post history in between all the snide shitposting, smn's real good

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Nobody in POTD is going jobstoneless for any benefit, it's all people (healers) who have little to no experience thinking they're gonna have an easy carry.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It's also worth pointing out that you can reasonably expect success while solo queueing PotD as loving anything (slightly better odds at the cost of slightly lower speed if you go as a healer). However, if you want to flat-out solo PotD, that's another matter.

Since you also say you're doing this for a bunch of glowy weapons, I'd assume then that you're going to go for the former. While you can absolutely solo it, it's more of a challenge thing for fun and to say you did it. In terms of actually making progress at a remotely decent pace, you're going to be much better off in a full group of 4 (even randoms) than you would be going truly solo.

In other words, go solo matched, not solo fixed, if your priority is getting weapons rather than overcoming a challenge.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah, while it's possible to beat PotD alone, it takes way too long to be enjoyable. Just do a matched party queue.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Healers and Tanks are great for Solo Matched parties. I tend to prefer DRK (good offense and defense for when you need it) for my runs though. Sometimes it really helps to have a tank when things go south and you don't have a healer.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Scholars are definitely really good for PotD. You can legit just have Selene carry you to 50 while you spam ruin/2/broil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

SMN with Titan lets you cover all things going south, plus it's fun doing everything at once

• Locked thread