Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

My mag of choice was Videogames and Computer Entertainment. [...] Computer Gaming World

\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'm not gonna let these crazy Gamefan stories die out so quickly!

Gamefan posted:

Wolfie

Here's a fun one:

GameFan's first trip to the CES (consumer electronics show) in LAs Vegas to get some attention and advertisers for the mag. This was way back in '93 or so. Way before E3. Anyway, so a bunch of the guys go a couple days early to check everything out, then a bunch come a couple days later, myself and Jay Puryear included. So Jay and I are to share a room (oh joy), and this is the room previously shared by The Enquirer (Cockburn) and K. Lee. So we get there and the room is thrashed- the beds are all unmade, condom wrappers everywhere... (oh boy times two)

So the next day we are told that after asking Halverson for money for food etc... that K. Lee, The Enquirer, and Kai Kuboki promptly went and used that money to buy a hooker which they then all shared. Then they all played Yoshi's Island.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Wizgot posted:

Has anyone realized how amazing old video game magazines are? I've been looking through publications like EGM, Super Play and Video Games and Computer Entertainment. I didn't grow up with this stuff but its just so interesting to look through all the articles and think, "this was the only stuff these guys had to get information". The advertisements are sick too.

Yeah they're cool. I don't collect old games because flash carts exist, but I have what I'm guessing is one of the largest collections of video game magazines in America. I focus on post-crash (so, 1987) because the older stuff is all online, and I cut off at December, 1999 to save space (I figure all news and previews after that is online somewhere). Up to 12/99 I have complete runs of:

Nintendo Power
Game Player's
Ultra Game Players (formerly Game Players, formerly Game Player's Nintendo/Sega, formerly Game Player's Strategy Guide to Nintendo Games, etc.)
Game Player's Game Boy
Game Player's Sega
EGM
EGM2/Expert Gamer
VideoGames & Computer Entertainment/Video Games
Sega Visions
Super Play
GamePro
Next Generation

I'm missing a only a few GameFan (though I have the super rare one that was never mailed out!), and I've got a pretty good majority of Official PlayStation, Dimension P.S.X., Q64, Sega Challenge, Fun Club News, PSM, Super NES Buyers Guide, Mega Play, a bunch of the weird GamePro spinoffs, etc.

I have a shameful collection of the TurboGrafx stuff in comparison because they're hideously expensive.

Oh also the computer game-specific magazines are too hard to find. I mostly let Computer Gaming World go because they're all scanned, but I have maybe a 75% complete run of Computer Game Review (Sendai's magazine) and maybe 50% of PC Games/Electronic Entertainment (IDW's) at this point, and some scattered issues of the Game Player's PC stuff. Oh and I've also got a bunch of Game Developer (including #1).

Anyways, having all of this, my opinions are:

- Early Nintendo Power has layouts that I still admire, I have the most fun reading these

- Game Players/Game Player's is a really confusing magazine, but if you're like me and you appreciate these magazines as reference material, they were surprisingly good with news coverage, and the writing was pretty smart occasionally. I think it's really underappreciated, probably because those early issues were ugly as hell and printed on awful paper.

- Everyone remembers VideoGames & Computer Entertainment as being this sophisticated magazine for adults, but I don't think it holds up. It focuses on stuff nobody cared about way too much, to the point where I actually get suspicious about some of their choices. Example: there's literally a U-Force cover story. Also, they had writers on staff who designed games on the side, and then talked about those games in articles without disclosing that they worked on them, which is...no.

- EGM was really fanboyish, but lord do I appreciate how dedicated Ed Semrad was to photographing screenshots of every game at every trade show. Sometimes literally the only information we have about a game that didn't ship was because of his photos.

- I can't read GameFan. The layouts hurt me so much that I don't see the words.

EDIT: I take scan requests as often as I can manage them (for specific things, not entire issues!), so if there's anything you really need that you can't get online, let me know.

TheRedEye fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 16, 2016

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I found something at the thrift store...

my first famicom multi/bootleg cart!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ambitious Spider posted:

Those are excellent ones, they really do have 111 different games onboard instead of like 20 copies of the same 6 games.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

it has bird week what else do you need

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

it has bird week what else do you need

Dig Dug II

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

The Famicom version of Donkey Kong 64 is the best one.

I always find it funny when Bird Week is a game they choose to put on the label...

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I always find it funny when Bird Week is a game they choose to put on the label...

uhh why wouldn't they it rules

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Phantasium posted:

There is for the 2016 version, which I haven't tried.

https://www.amazon.com/RBI-Baseball-2016-Xbox-One/dp/B01CR385LS

Not for any system I own, though. =[

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TheRedEye posted:

Yeah they're cool. I don't collect old games because flash carts exist, but I have what I'm guessing is one of the largest collections of video game magazines in America. I focus on post-crash (so, 1987) because the older stuff is all online, and I cut off at December, 1999 to save space (I figure all news and previews after that is online somewhere). Up to 12/99 I have complete runs of:

Nintendo Power
Game Player's
Ultra Game Players (formerly Game Players, formerly Game Player's Nintendo/Sega, formerly Game Player's Strategy Guide to Nintendo Games, etc.)
Game Player's Game Boy
Game Player's Sega
EGM
EGM2/Expert Gamer
VideoGames & Computer Entertainment/Video Games
Sega Visions
Super Play
GamePro
Next Generation

I'm missing a only a few GameFan (though I have the super rare one that was never mailed out!), and I've got a pretty good majority of Official PlayStation, Dimension P.S.X., Q64, Sega Challenge, Fun Club News, PSM, Super NES Buyers Guide, Mega Play, a bunch of the weird GamePro spinoffs, etc.

I have a shameful collection of the TurboGrafx stuff in comparison because they're hideously expensive.

Oh also the computer game-specific magazines are too hard to find. I mostly let Computer Gaming World go because they're all scanned, but I have maybe a 75% complete run of Computer Game Review (Sendai's magazine) and maybe 50% of PC Games/Electronic Entertainment (IDW's) at this point, and some scattered issues of the Game Player's PC stuff. Oh and I've also got a bunch of Game Developer (including #1).

Anyways, having all of this, my opinions are:

- Early Nintendo Power has layouts that I still admire, I have the most fun reading these

- Game Players/Game Player's is a really confusing magazine, but if you're like me and you appreciate these magazines as reference material, they were surprisingly good with news coverage, and the writing was pretty smart occasionally. I think it's really underappreciated, probably because those early issues were ugly as hell and printed on awful paper.

- Everyone remembers VideoGames & Computer Entertainment as being this sophisticated magazine for adults, but I don't think it holds up. It focuses on stuff nobody cared about way too much, to the point where I actually get suspicious about some of their choices. Example: there's literally a U-Force cover story. Also, they had writers on staff who designed games on the side, and then talked about those games in articles without disclosing that they worked on them, which is...no.

- EGM was really fanboyish, but lord do I appreciate how dedicated Ed Semrad was to photographing screenshots of every game at every trade show. Sometimes literally the only information we have about a game that didn't ship was because of his photos.

- I can't read GameFan. The layouts hurt me so much that I don't see the words.

EDIT: I take scan requests as often as I can manage them (for specific things, not entire issues!), so if there's anything you really need that you can't get online, let me know.

What do you know about a magazine called Intelligent Gamer? I had a subscription for it around the N64 launch and it was really good and not snobbish or weird like the title would suggest, I always wondered what happened to them because for a while it was really good. I still have my old issues somewhere and I remember scanning one of them because it had a giant article on Sonic Xtreme that people on sonic cult wanted

e: wow they still have my "scan", totally forgot it was just a photo https://i.imgur.com/LNM1dOA.jpg

d0s fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 17, 2016

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

uhh why wouldn't they it rules

Is it an entire week of birds and is it a 5 day work week or a full 7 day week please reply

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well I can't beat Redeye in American rags but maybe I can get the world record for Japanese rags. Been steadily collecting Technopolis lots and Dengeki PC Engine.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

There is for the 2016 version, which I haven't tried.

https://www.amazon.com/RBI-Baseball-2016-Xbox-One/dp/B01CR385LS

"All thirty MLB ballparks"? Was there some sort of rights issue?

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

d0s posted:

What do you know about a magazine called Intelligent Gamer? I had a subscription for it around the N64 launch and it was really good and not snobbish or weird like the title would suggest, I always wondered what happened to them because for a while it was really good. I still have my old issues somewhere and I remember scanning one of them because it had a giant article on Sonic Xtreme that people on sonic cult wanted

e: wow they still have my "scan", totally forgot it was just a photo http://www.sonic-cult.org/imagebin/xtreme.jpg

Not much. I know it's really hard to find (in fact, I'd want yours if you don't want them anymore...), and that it was the fourth and final iteration of the Sendai/Ziff magazine that I don't think they ever knew what to do with. It started as the awkward 90s relaunch of Electronic Games, which became the more "multimedia"-focused Fusion, which got tied in to Ziff's Intelligent Gamer website as "Intelligent Gamer's Fusion," and then finally was just Intelligent Gamer. My guess based on the one issue I have is that Intelligent Gamer was Ziff-Davis' answer to Next Generation/Edge.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

Well I can't beat Redeye in American rags but maybe I can get the world record for Japanese rags. Been steadily collecting Technopolis lots and Dengeki PC Engine.

my japanese mag thing is "backup technique" and the early backup-technique-ish issues of "game labo", the magazine it became. I have nearly every issue of BT, and most of GL from before it turned lovely and became all about action replay codes or whatever

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TheRedEye posted:

Not much. I know it's really hard to find (in fact, I'd want yours if you don't want them anymore...), and that it was the fourth and final iteration of the Sendai/Ziff magazine that I don't think they ever knew what to do with. It started as the awkward 90s relaunch of Electronic Games, which became the more "multimedia"-focused Fusion, which got tied in to Ziff's Intelligent Gamer website as "Intelligent Gamer's Fusion," and then finally was just Intelligent Gamer. My guess based on the one issue I have is that Intelligent Gamer was Ziff-Davis' answer to Next Generation/Edge.

If you want them to archive or something I'd gladly send them to be (non destructively) scanned but I'd want them back because they're kind of nostalgic/sentimental to me. I think I have around 10 issues

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bonobos posted:

Local CL has this PVM for sale for $50.

Sony PVM-14N5U 14" NTSC Monitor

See here for details --
http://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/model/17906/pvm20n.pdf

No RGB, guess that makes this a pass? How much should I expect to pay for an RGB model? Guessing CL is still the best outlet for these types of monitors or is there some other place to find one?

Unless you're fine with it cluttering up your house indefinitely, I'd pass if it doesn't have RGB. As I've said before, Craigslist is hit or miss depending on where you live. If you're in southern California or the San Francisco area and are willing to drive, there is probably still enough film, broadcasting, video production, and medical surplus stock out there that you might find some potential options on a semi-regular basis. Up here in the Pacific Northwest? It's *crickets* more or less, barring the rear end in a top hat who tries to get $300 for a 14" display just because "retro games".

I'd say that if you're serious about it, also look on Ebay for any "local pickup" options in your area, or look at having one shipped to you. The cost for a 14", depending on condition and how much the seller cares, could be $100 to $200 for one with RGB. Expect to pay more for a larger screen size, and even more if it's one of the desirable later models like the Sony 14L5 or 20L5.

MrLonghair posted:

S-video is more than good enough for 16bit and earlier, you should already have contacted the seller and struck the deal.

Bzzt. If S-Video is good enough, he might as well get a regular TV with it as an input option and at least have a nice large screen size. The whole point of PVMs, here in the US, is RGB. Bar none, no excuses, no other justification..

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Japanese gaming magazines need to get scanned for the internet ASAP far as I'm concerned. They have decades of poo poo we probably don't even know is there, countless tie-in manga we've never seen, etc. There's barely any effort into that field at all other than like some of the PC Engine or Neo Geo communities maybe.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

d0s posted:

If you want them to archive or something I'd gladly send them to be (non destructively) scanned but I'd want them back because they're kind of nostalgic/sentimental to me. I think I have around 10 issues

Yeah I might take you up on that someday. I wouldn't slit the spine or anything but I would press down flat to get those margins as best I can, so they might come back a little bit floppier.

I've also been trying for like a year now to arrange being able to use the Internet Archive's book scanners, which would make things go way faster. I'd really like to have everything online, even if it's not in ideal form, and let the proper scanning groups of the future worry about going back and doing it right. Yeah because I want people to access this stuff, but also I just want all my poo poo OCR'd so I can search it.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

Japanese gaming magazines need to get scanned for the internet ASAP far as I'm concerned. They have decades of poo poo we probably don't even know is there, countless tie-in manga we've never seen, etc. There's barely any effort into that field at all other than like some of the PC Engine or Neo Geo communities maybe.

FWIW there's at least a good collection with these guys: http://gamepres.org

They don't do the actual scanning, but they're not opposed to someone else doing it I'm sure. They've even got public access to it on weekends I think.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TheRedEye posted:

Yeah I might take you up on that someday. I wouldn't slit the spine or anything but I would press down flat to get those margins as best I can, so they might come back a little bit floppier.

that would be no problem at all and I'd really love to see these mags get archived. whenever you want to do it PM me with an address and I'll cover the shipping to you

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

"All thirty MLB ballparks"? Was there some sort of rights issue?

I'll be honest and say I know fuckall about baseball and only followed it to this extent because of the NES game.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Gamefan was absolutely amazing, and that archive proves it. Dave Halverson, while perhaps not to be trusted with running a magazine, was a source of many wonderful quotes.

I remember poring over Gamefan back in the day; Casey Loe and Nick Des Barres did great import coverage, and it opened my eyes to just how many games never touched America. The magazine had a rough transition to its second generation around 1998, and I hated what it became. It tried way too hard to be aggressive and in-jokey, and the only part of it I could stand was the anime section (the writer of which is now the executive editor at EGM).

I miss having game magazines around, even just for the way they focused our opinions. In this age of clickbait controversies every day, nothing has the same impact as, say, GameFan and Working Designs squabbling over Lunar 2's boob jokes.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I didn't buy game magazines on the regular back in the day, but I remember grabbing a few from a neighbor's recycle bin in the late 1990s (I think before FF7 came out). I think some of them were indeed Gamefan, and like everyone else, I thought it was a solid magazine. It had a definite voice, unlike Gamepro and the like which were maybe a bit too business-like.

After the new millennium kicked in, though, I think most game magazines basically lost their luster. Between the Internet and a greater consolidation in the industry under EA and the like, the industry niche that magazines served for editorializing, showcasing, and previewing games (big label and otherwise) essentially vanished.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I remember buying magazines a lot for the big maps, even if it a game I have no interest in. Later on like getting them to see if they gameshark codes for games like FFVI to get late game items early and such.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

I'll be honest and say I know fuckall about baseball and only followed it to this extent because of the NES game.

There should be 36 MLB stadiums and yet the sales page just says "all 30." It was probably just an oversight.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Hey, kind of a weird tangent, I guess, but if there's anyone who would know the answer to this question, I'd assume you guys would.

I just got the PS4 port of the PS2 game The Warriors - and it's been a long time since I've played it. I was watching the intro FMV, and one of the characters says "Are you going human being?"

It really surprised me - I don't recall hearing that at all when I played it, and I'm surprised that they kept the phrase in the game. I haven't seen the film - shame on me - so I'm assuming that it's drawn verbatim from it?

But it got me thinking - what other games have ever prominently used the word 'human being?' Because your garden variety swears of 'gently caress' and 'drat' and 'poo poo' et al have certainly become commonplace - but thankfully human being hasn't, and it's certainly fallen out of use in recent years.

I can remember, back in 2005 (when this game was released) and certainly before it, that I would utilize the epithet, casually even, in conversation and on the internet, but since then I've come to blanch and react negatively to it as strongly as I would incredibly strong racial epithets, which now brings me to a better inquiry - how many notable games in history have utilized what are certainly now nearly forbidden epithets/insults?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm kinda jealous we didn't really have Gamefan/EGM etc over here, though I did mostly learn to swear from the Official Australian Playstation Magazine (sheltered household), where all the writers referred to their editor as the "Black Pig", so I guess there's at least that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know why someone would do that but ehh, the cab itself is probably fine?

I'm super late replying to this, but my guess is that it was on location in a movie theater or some such, they got a Beast Busters back in the day, it made approximately three quarters since nobody recognized it, and they swapped it for an Area 51 to try and still get some use out of the cabinet.

Keep in mind the overlap between arcade operators and arcade nerds has only recently gotten particularly large, certainly way after the heyday of Area 51 and Hyper Neo Geo 64s.

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Hey, kind of a weird tangent, I guess, but if there's anyone who would know the answer to this question, I'd assume you guys would.

I just got the PS4 port of the PS2 game The Warriors - and it's been a long time since I've played it. I was watching the intro FMV, and one of the characters says "Are you going human being?"

It really surprised me - I don't recall hearing that at all when I played it, and I'm surprised that they kept the phrase in the game. I haven't seen the film - shame on me - so I'm assuming that it's drawn verbatim from it?

Yeah, it's a line directly from the movie; the movie's very of-its-time politically, but it's still a drat fun watch. As far as other games that have used it... uh, honestly I think pretty much just Rockstar stuff, and I couldn't name specifics if I tried. I know GTA:SA and GTAV are like the only games that use the N-word.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Since the topic has turned to old video game magazines, I was wondering if anyone else can confirm my vague memories of an early 90s ('93-'94) American publication called "Newtype." I only ever saw one issue, owned by a friend in the fifth grade, but it was written in a very GameFan sort of style and had articles on Umihara Kawase Shun and one of the Cotton games. Google has been no help in confirming that this publication ever existed.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Claytor posted:

Since the topic has turned to old video game magazines, I was wondering if anyone else can confirm my vague memories of an early 90s ('93-'94) American publication called "Newtype." I only ever saw one issue, owned by a friend in the fifth grade, but it was written in a very GameFan sort of style and had articles on Umihara Kawase Shun and one of the Cotton games. Google has been no help in confirming that this publication ever existed.

Newtype was a Japanese anime magazine that was released for a while in a US version called "Newtype USA", but in the early 2000s. Maybe you're thinking of Protoculture Addicts? Or maybe there was some zine called newtype because gundam

e: if the mag was from 1994 there's no way they were talking about umihara kawase shun as its from'97

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

d0s posted:

Newtype was a Japanese anime magazine that was released for a while in a US version called "Newtype USA", but in the early 2000s. Maybe you're thinking of Protoculture Addicts? Or maybe there was some zine called newtype because gundam

e: if the mag was from 1994 there's no way they were talking about umihara kawase shun as its from'97

In hindsight, my brain may be carrying over the Umihara Kawase Shun article from the one issue of GameFan I got before a family road trip in 1997. I distinctly remember that this magazine introduced me to the word "Newtype" years before I was aware of Gundam. Protoculture Addicts, though, looks awfully familiar. I'll look further into it.

EDIT: And it looks like it existed after all - https://www.retromags.com/magazines/category/usa/newtype-gaming/#.V7PdEZgrK00

Claytor fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 17, 2016

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Light Gun Man posted:

I've looked through scans of early famitsu issues but apart form the pics I don't get much enjoyment out of them because they are in Japanese :(

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Bonobos posted:

Local CL has this PVM for sale for $50.

Sony PVM-14N5U 14" NTSC Monitor

See here for details --
http://www.broadcaststore.com/pdf/model/17906/pvm20n.pdf

No RGB, guess that makes this a pass? How much should I expect to pay for an RGB model? Guessing CL is still the best outlet for these types of monitors or is there some other place to find one?

If you don't already have a CRT TV with Svideo, I guess it wouldn't be bad. I'm still waiting on SCART to BNC cables to try out RGB on my 14" PVM, but am using it for s-video in the meantime. It is good, definitely sharper than my 27" CRT TV, but I'd still choose my TV over the PVM right now just because of size.

So ya, if you already have a 20" or bigger CRT TV, I'd skip without RGB. If you don't have a CRT already, it probably wouldn't hurt to try and offer a lower price to see if they take it. You could always upgrade and resell later on and break even.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

FireMrshlBill posted:

If you don't already have a CRT TV with Svideo, I guess it wouldn't be bad. I'm still waiting on SCART to BNC cables to try out RGB on my 14" PVM, but am using it for s-video in the meantime. It is good, definitely sharper than my 27" CRT TV, but I'd still choose my TV over the PVM right now just because of size.

So ya, if you already have a 20" or bigger CRT TV, I'd skip without RGB. If you don't have a CRT already, it probably wouldn't hurt to try and offer a lower price to see if they take it. You could always upgrade and resell later on and break even.

Honestly though if you've got the space and you think you might want to play with some PAL stuff, this might not be a bad backup to have, since it supports PAL, NTSC, and SECAM over S-Video. You can play some weird Euro-only PS2 games without cutting any of the picture off, and they'll probably look pretty good on it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

TheRedEye posted:

Honestly though if you've got the space and you think you might want to play with some PAL stuff, this might not be a bad backup to have, since it supports PAL, NTSC, and SECAM over S-Video. You can play some weird Euro-only PS2 games without cutting any of the picture off, and they'll probably look pretty good on it.

very good point on the pal

I like having both right now anyway. My PVM is at a position that is playable from my desk and all the line outputs can go to my capture device. The CRT is at a position for chilling on the couch and playing.

Just noticed this week that there are Framemeisters on Amazon Prime, don't have to worry about overseas shipping or customs fees/taxes. Just sucks they don't sell the component to d terminal adapter on Amazon as well. It goes for $387 while I can order form Japan for $360, but One-Day prime and a return policy is nice... very tempted since I am getting into the RGB game anyway... but my wife would kill me.

May be time to list some things on SA mart for a Framemeister and RGB mod fund.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Welp, I actually managed to go through and put a title to every single one of those Fami games. The bad news? With additional duplicates found I am down to there actually only being 87 games here (as opposed to 92, 102 or 120, which I was originally told there was.) Also lots of baseball, even more than I had anticipated, and not so much of the good stuff. Still one or two gems slipped through and I am glad to put another big chunk of plastic on the wall. Also, having watched a fair bit of Chrontendo it was nice to see some of these things in person. I even got to go, "Oh, I know what that is!" once or twice. Thumbs down to Taito and Namco for not including their game IDs on the carts though, made this a heck of a lot harder since those were the two most prolific third parties for me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I AM THE TOILET posted:

But it got me thinking - what other games have ever prominently used the word 'human being?' Because your garden variety swears of 'gently caress' and 'drat' and 'poo poo' et al have certainly become commonplace - but thankfully human being hasn't, and it's certainly fallen out of use in recent years.

I can remember, back in 2005 (when this game was released) and certainly before it, that I would utilize the epithet, casually even, in conversation and on the internet, but since then I've come to blanch and react negatively to it as strongly as I would incredibly strong racial epithets, which now brings me to a better inquiry - how many notable games in history have utilized what are certainly now nearly forbidden epithets/insults?

There's really a very narrow window for this sort of thing, considering how late it was before you had the confluence of technology allowing swearing to be in games and the market being relaxed enough that developers could make games with swearing and they'd still end up on store shelves (which opens the phase) and now-slash-recently when such language becomes declasse.

Also, The Warriors is a loving great movie. I need to get a copy of the game. I remember wanting it back in the day because I heard El-P and Aesop Rock got bit parts voice-actor-wise, never got around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oddly enough The Warriors for the Xbox one (The First Xbox, the one that is xhuge) is a title that's eluded their vaunted backwards comp forever.

Which sucks because that's the version I bought when my movie theatre had an in-house Xbox for game night rentals

• Locked thread