Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Just watched it; probably going to Scharnhorst now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MoraleHazard posted:

Same. RIP my wallet.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

wdarkk posted:

Tier 9 looks like a crappy version of the Iowa which isn't really good when you're going to be fighting the Yamato every other game.

Except unlike the Iowa it probably will have decent side armor.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Krogort posted:

Except unlike the Iowa it probably will have decent side armor.

Isn't it weaker than Bismark's?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

First game out in a naked scharnhorst with a babby captain. :getin::hf::black101:

I love the fact that there are so many secondary guns, with good range.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

0.5.10 video is now out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwDrKM188WA

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MoraleHazard posted:

Yeah, WG needs to hire atsf immediately.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, WG needs to hire atsf immediately.

He's on the payroll of Wargaming Asia isn't he? Or makes content for them, or something.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Should I have the track locked on target option on? On one hand, it makes aiming easier, on the other it likes to gently caress up and switch to another target right when I'm getting ready to fire.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

He's on the payroll of Wargaming Asia isn't he? Or makes content for them, or something.

"Community Contributor" as far as I know. But I could easily be wrong.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Destroyers are fun when you get to sneak up to an enemy and dart out from behind an island, dump your load, then smoke and cackle as you swim away. And then their friends chase you through the smoke still firing at your team, but they don't bother with defensive maneuvers because I'm in smoke so I don't need to avoid going in a straight line easy to torpedo.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

El Disco posted:

"Community Contributor" as far as I know. But I could easily be wrong.

This whole time i was under the impression it was a goon. Welp

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

HiroProtagonist posted:

This whole time i was under the impression it was a goon. Welp

His videos make him an honorary goon.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

His videos make him an honorary goon.

Is it the anime?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
DASHA! :swoon:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Scharnhorst would be rigged as gently caress if it didn't have a bit of a scattergun effect, the rudder turn time makes it actually possible to dodge a lot of fire, especially floaty cruiser shells.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

xthetenth posted:

Scharnhorst would be rigged as gently caress if it didn't have a bit of a scattergun effect, the rudder turn time makes it actually possible to dodge a lot of fire, especially floaty cruiser shells.
Yeah, even with 2.0 Sigma, wide dispersion makes it a Shotgunhorst. Even at close range you'll have hard time hitting a destroyer running away in a straight line.

Apart from that I like the ship. It's got fast shell/rudder/turret turn speed and good belt armour that makes up for lacking big punches. I'm now playing it like an agile but weaker version of Iowa and it's working good despite only doing cruiser-like average damage.

Just don't head on because 25 mm bow/rear armour will be overmatched by any tier7+ bb (except Scharnhorst)

Aesis fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 17, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I was on the fence about the Schotgun, but I just got it as a gift anyway!

Very first game:

That sinking Colorado that you can see in front of me was about to go down the channel when I appeared around the corner. His guns were all pointed in the other direction so he didn't even fire a shot before my torps hit. SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER!

Second game:

A silly Nagato tried to charge me down. So many battleship drivers don't realize this ship has torpedoes. :kiddo:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Scharnhorst torp is bit weak though. I don't expect devastating strike against battleships but even cruisers sometimes manage to survive full 3 hits.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Aesis posted:

Scharnhorst torp is bit weak though. I don't expect devastating strike against battleships but even cruisers sometimes manage to survive full 3 hits.

I'm used to it. Even the Tirpitz torps won't usually finish a BB off unless they were already hurting. The guns turn and reload fast enough (on both Tirp and Scharn) that chewing through the last of their HP isn't very hard. Especially if you managed to get them flooding and/or burning.

On both of those games I posted, I had done ~25k damage with my guns on those BBs before my torps took off the last 20k or so.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 17, 2016

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I don't like the Scharn because it can actually cause problems for my Blys :(

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you aren't detected because of smoke, will secondaries fire on you? I tend to rush my torps once I start getting hit by secondaries in my DDs.

It's really weird being in relatively close line of sight to a ship and knowing I'm not spotted, I tend to think I'm spotted much farther out than I am.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Picked up the Scharnhorst today and while I'm not a consistently great player, I have the odd great game.

Secondaries on this thing are beastly. It's secondary specced, but w/out the Tier V Captain skill.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

godammit people i feel like i should buy one

e: did. this is my gift to myself after finishing my first dissertation draft and im completely sleep deprived, lacking judgement.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 17, 2016

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The Gneisenau has very similar characteristics I think, if you're willing to wait a bit?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Torpedoed and sank my first Shiny Horse today and set several more on fire. It was a good day.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I loving love my shotgunhorst. Probably the best reason and time to come back to the game more. I logged in out of boredom, saw it was for sale, said "eh, gently caress it" and haven't even looked back.

That guys video is accurate as gently caress.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you aren't detected because of smoke, will secondaries fire on you? I tend to rush my torps once I start getting hit by secondaries in my DDs.

It's really weird being in relatively close line of sight to a ship and knowing I'm not spotted, I tend to think I'm spotted much farther out than I am.

Secondaries won't fire on you unless you're spotted. Though their shell velocity tends to be a little low, so if you get into smoke it's not unusual to have a few of them hit you that were fired while you were spotted.

MrKatharsis posted:

Torpedoed and sank my first Shiny Horse today and set several more on fire. It was a good day.

In between my Scharn games, I had a 3200xp Sims game where I got Arsonist from setting one on fire 6 times. :v:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Kinda hard to decide on Scharnhorst upgrades tbh.

Against CV you really want max AA distance, but secondary and dispersion upgrades are nice too.

As for 4th slot, steering reduces rudder shift by 3 seconds but it also needs burn time reduction because it's covered in oil.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Aesis posted:

Against CV you really want max AA distance, but secondary and dispersion upgrades are nice too.

As for 4th slot, steering reduces rudder shift by 3 seconds but it also needs burn time reduction because it's covered in oil.

Yup, atsf video on the tirpitz kind of covers that as well. Cheeky is the aa spec while manly is the secondary build. His video on the scharn pretty much suggests that you follow the same captain and ship modules for both. I'm going secondary spec because I don't really encounter cv as much.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JuffoWup posted:

Yup, atsf video on the tirpitz kind of covers that as well. Cheeky is the aa spec while manly is the secondary build. His video on the scharn pretty much suggests that you follow the same captain and ship modules for both. I'm going secondary spec because I don't really encounter cv as much.

Cheeky is the stealth build, salty is the AA build (for farming salty CV tears), and manly is the secondary build

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Are these all light cruisers ?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yes, all light cruisers.

e: Also that will be the large Minotaur that was never built, rather than the smaller Minotaur that was built

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 17, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Aesis posted:

I have the aiming module to help with the Schotgun effect, but I'm seriously considering the secondary module. I'm also using my AA spec Tirpitz captain so I guess I'll end up with a little bit of everything.

Krogort posted:

Are these all light cruisers ?

:flashfap:

e: wait hold on, a tier X with nine 6" guns? :psyduck:

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 17, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

El Disco posted:

:flashfap:

e: wait hold on, a tier X with nine 6" guns? :psyduck:

Wrong Minotaur. Like I said, one Minotaur was built, and was basically an improved version of the Ceylon, which was a Fiji that traded main turret X for more AA. The tier X Minotaur was a 15,000t design that was ordered but cancelled at the end of the war, which I think should have 4 triple mounts of 6" guns with Des Moines style power ramming/autoloading in DP turrets, but with ordinary muzzle velocity.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 17, 2016

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Not going to lie, I'm moderately anticipating the crown colony cruisers.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Wrong Minotaur. Like I said, one Minotaur was built, and was basically an improved version of the Ceylon, which was a Fiji that traded main turret X for more AA. The tier X Minotaur was a 15,000t design that was ordered but cancelled at the end of the war, which I think should have 4 triple mounts of 6" guns with Des Moines style power ramming/autoloading in DP turrets, but with ordinary muzzle velocity.

In other words, a tier 10 atlanta. Now with heals.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JuffoWup posted:

In other words, a tier 10 atlanta. Now with heals.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking as well.

Just to clarify, since the RN were a little different

I: Black Swan class (1939 Sloop) (3x2 4")
II: Town class (1910) - Weymouth subclass (8x1 6")
III: C class (1914) - Caledon subclass (5x1 6")
IV: Danae class (1918) (6x1 6")
V: Emerald class (1926) (7x1 6")
VI: Leander class (1933) (4x2 6")
VII: Crown Colony class (1939) - Fiji subclass (4x3 6")
VIII: Town class (1936) - Edinburgh subclass (4x3 6")
IX: Neptune class (X) - (3x3? 4x2? 6")
X: Minotaur class (X) - (4x3? 5x2? 6")

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 17, 2016

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Those sound moderately awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking as well.

Just to clarify, since the RN were a little different

I: Black Swan class (1939 Sloop) (3x2 4")

This better be played on the loudspeakers while in combat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW5yLvoJMD4