Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

I maintain that him not loving a woman was a terrible mistake in retrospect though.
there is still no guarantee that the eventual child would inherit the brains and not, say, being real short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

xthetenth posted:

I maintain that him not loving a woman was a terrible mistake in retrospect though.

There is some conjecture that this might not have been entirely his own decision. There's a lot of circumstantial evidence that even with his boy he never got into anything penetrative, and a lot of people wondering if one of the beatings he got thrown as a kid (especially after he tried to run away) didn't gently caress up his plumbing.

edit: of course refusing to procreate as the ultimate "no gently caress YOU dad" would just be the ultimate F der G thing to do.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

There is some conjecture that this might not have been entirely his own decision. There's a lot of circumstantial evidence that even with his boy he never got into anything penetrative, and a lot of people wondering if one of the beatings he got thrown as a kid (especially after he tried to run away) didn't gently caress up his plumbing.
depends on what was in among dudes who liked dudes at the time though, like intercrural was more common for them than for us i think

poor dude though. jeeeeeeze what a young adulthood.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

depends on what was in among dudes who liked dudes at the time though, like intercrural was more common for them than for us i think

Yeah, I can't pull a cite or anything right now but I remember reading a few years back that there's evidence of "frustration" and "pent up desire" that indicates he might have been unable to achieve an erection.

edit: of course trying to figure out if a major royal head could :gizz: is going to be all kinds of tied up in court gossip and politics so in the end it's all speculative as gently caress.

edit x2: it will never stop bothering me that the SA jizz emote is spelled with a loving g

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I can't pull a cite or anything right now but I remember reading a few years back that there's evidence of "frustration" and "pent up desire" that indicates he might have been unable to achieve an erection.
was there anything about his life that wasn't really goddamn depressing

apart from the part where he got to meet bach

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

there is still no guarantee that the eventual child would inherit the brains and not, say, being real short

Honestly I think that even a short dude with his mom's brains wouldn't be a bad thing and being raised by a guy who'd done the militarism thing and kind of soured on the costs might have helped that family not end up ruled by a manchild with a brain full of withered arm and battleships in the margins of his notes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

was there anything about his life that wasn't really goddamn depressing

apart from the part where he got to meet bach

He always struck me as the kind of guy who would have been really, really happy living a bog standard early 21st century life but had the bad luck to be born when he was. Although I guess that could be said for a lot of people who ended up on the wrong end of some cultural norm any time before about the 80s,.

edit: that should have been 21st century. You know, the era of gay activism and r/atheism.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 16, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

He always struck me as the kind of guy who would have been really, really happy living a bog standard early 20th century life but had the bad luck to be born when he was. Although I guess that could be said for a lot of people who ended up on the wrong end of some cultural norm any time before about the 80s,.
my subjects, on the other hand, would fit in nowhere else in world history but the early 17th century. except for wallenstein, sadly. Deprivatize yourself and face to Hapsburgs.

edit: and loving dudes was not Fritz's problem. everything else was his problem.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

my subjects, on the other hand, would fit in nowhere else in world history but the early 17th century. except for wallenstein, sadly. Deprivatize yourself and face to Hapsburgs.

edit: and loving dudes was not Fritz's problem. everything else was his problem.

Wallenstein would either end up with a C level job somewhere or totally blacklisted from his industry. Possibly both.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

or totally blacklisted from his industry
hell, it's what happened to him irl

edit: i don't think he was a traitor, exactly. FERDINAND 2 KNEW

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 16, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: that should have been 21st century. You know, the era of gay activism and r/atheism.
i thought you were talking about the early 20th century in germany. You know, gay activism and atheism.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

i thought you were talking about the early 20th century in germany. You know, gay activism and atheism.

hah, drat, yeah you're right. Dude would have had a blast in Weimar era Berlin

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

hah, drat, yeah you're right. Dude would have had a blast in Weimar era Berlin
if only because by then the place was finally something more than a flat expanse of sand with a few brand new buildings on it

edit: i looked up where he was buried, and his wishes for how he was to be buried were only fulfilled in the 90s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tomb_of_Frederick_the_Great
"Quand je serai là, je serai sans souci."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 16, 2016

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

interestingly enough, philip II had access to something almost like just nuking the rebellious parts of the Netherlands--someone brought up the idea of just cutting the dykes and flooding the entire thing. he rejected it because it would have killed too many people and ruined farming for a long time.

which makes him a better person than nixon, who wanted to do the same drat thing in vietnam

edit: i guess every spanish monarch or governor of the netherlands would have been able to do that, they just chose not to

What a wuss.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Do historians seriously study whether some fellow could get it up or not?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MrMojok posted:

No, I'm sure it amuses them greatly.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Just want to say that These mine posts are loving great and pretty much the perfect posts for the thread

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Disinterested posted:

The most Nazi moment in this book so far is army group north had thousands of Jews in Riga producing huge quantities of desperately needed winter clothes for the German army and then they were all liquidated with the ghetto in November of 1941. Simultaneously the army quartermasters are still at this point telling the generals on the front to stop requesting winter equipment.

Wooooooooooooooooooooow.

This is both :smith: and :downs: as hell.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

HEY GAL posted:

Iunno, seems like they could likely have fit in anywhere where 'have gun/sword/pike (delete as appropriate), will travel' is a valid job description. Probably including Blackwater or whatever they're calling themselves now.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: of course refusing to procreate as the ultimate "no gently caress YOU dad" would just be the ultimate F der G thing to do.

I've always wondered if his war making wasn't in part because he really, really, really wanted to show his father what you really used an army for. And it conveniently also completely bled the army his father had created white. I can imagine good old FdG was very cut up about that.

MrMojok posted:

At least in Early Modernity, the health of the monarch is considered to be representative of the health of the realm, so a monarch not being completely healthy is BIG loving DEAL HOLY poo poo YOU GUYS. A monarch not being able to further his line would be double plus ungood because that invited all kinds of issues. So any historian must assume that decision made by people in that era were informed by these considerations. So yeah, if you really want to understand FdG and his court, you kind need to know if he could get it up.

For science.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

MrMojok posted:

ArchangeI posted:

At least in Early Modernity, the health of the monarch is considered to be representative of the health of the realm, so a monarch not being completely healthy is BIG loving DEAL HOLY poo poo YOU GUYS. A monarch not being able to further his line would be double plus ungood because that invited all kinds of issues. So any historian must assume that decision made by people in that era were informed by these considerations. So yeah, if you really want to understand FdG and his court, you kind need to know if he could get it up.

For science.

Also notably relevant to: the production of heirs.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yes, I had not thought of the relevance of these things. Good points all.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Though to be honest I think that court was gossiping a lot more about his homosexuality.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

actually i think almost everyone i study was a better person than nixon and everyone who hung out with him

metternich, kemper boyd, any thoughts?

I HAVE THOUGHTS

Nixon was a strange dude. He had some pretty significant mental health problems while in office; like I think he thought more often than not that political opposition to his plans was not driven by, y'know, what people thought of his plans, but rather because they hated him, personally. For no reason other than he was Richard Nixon. I think he was actually a genius on one or two axies; namely his understanding of politics and international relations, but he seemed to only really understand the dark side of people. Without an understanding of the good side of people, he navigated the two aforementioned fields pretty well, but without the balance that comes from understanding the good side of people, he'd make decisions that would ultimately cause him to, er, resign in disgrace. He also was pathological about presenting an image to other people. Because he was paranoid and unable to really like himself, he put a lot of energy into keeping up a front of what he thought people wanted to see. This went both for his public image, and even managing immediate subordinates with talk he didn't really believe in. The result was that he was manipulative with pretty much everybody.

poo poo what was my point

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Book update: it's October 1941 and there are 20 German battalions currently under the command of a Lieutenant.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

Book update: it's October 1941 and there are 20 German battalions currently under the command of a Lieutenant.

this sounds like about the most stressful job situation i can imagine

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

or, wait, is that 20 battalions each with their own lieutenant or is it just one unfortunate chap who has to deal with all twenty of them

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

or, wait, is that 20 battalions each with their own lieutenant or is it just one unfortunate chap who has to deal with all twenty of them

It's 20 battalions with their own Lieutenant. That's approx 3 ranks too low.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Disinterested posted:

Is that because their Captain is off running the regiment while the Major is off running the division, or are they just dead?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Disinterested posted:

It's like all those sci fi stories where a heroic junior officer ends up in command of a battleship by some calamity, only with more genocide.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

Is that because their Captain is off running the regiment while the Major is off running the division, or are they just dead?

They're mostly dead, but it's actually not as big of an organisational challenge as you might imagine as presently there is one company with a reported strength of 12 soldiers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"Congratulations Heinz! You are now 1st platoon!"

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Disinterested posted:

They're mostly dead, but it's actually not as big of an organisational challenge as you might imagine as presently there is one company with a reported strength of 12 soldiers.

I have a feeling that this war might not end well for the Germans.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grand Prize Winner posted:

English name question: I know there used to be a lot of towns with streets like Gropecunte Alley and so forth, but did any people end up with names related to their not-socially-acceptable trades? Like, is there today one James Whoremonger living a quiet life in Hamfast or something?

There was a dude in my German language class who made the teacher do a :catstare: doubletake reading the roll, his surname was Foltermann.

Torture-man

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

"Congratulations Heinz! You are now 1st platoon!"

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Disinterested posted:

It's a pity it's not 1945 or all the rest of the men would be officer cadets too :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trin Tragula posted:

I've got him plugged in somewhere near Richard III.

So a crafty rear end in a top hat who somehow ended up getting portrayed as a ridiculous cartoon villain? Sounds about right.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sir do you mean to say that Henry VII was not entirely truthful in his accounts of his adversary?

Preposterous!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Jaws was a bit of a propaganda, which the author later repudiated once he learned some species of shark were endangered, partly because of him, but it's still a damned good movie, mostly because this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9S41Kplsbs

is actually a mostly-accurate telling of the death of USS Indy.

If I'd enlisted, I woud've gone Army, partly because my father and grandfathers were infantrymen (well, Dad was Airborne, but he got a CIB, so near enough for govt work), and partly because of that.

Edit: Speaking of the CIB, I've noticed that Nick Moran wears something similar but yellow instead of blue on his polo shirt -- I assume it's the Cavalry version of the "seen the elephant" badge, since he had his head outside at 73 Easting? (Working for 1CAV at the time, despite his racial handicap.*)

Also all you tank fans should watch Nick Moran's youtubs. He's the NA technical advisor/social media guy for World of Tanks. Applied for an IT job and got hired for his current position because actual tank commander.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?TheChieftainWoT

*--It's okay to be ironically racist against the Irish now, as long as you're not English, innit? The would-be Baron Blaney says it's okay. (Long story, but my boyfriend is the heir to an Irish castle the English burned down. Actually that's the whole story, it was shorter than I thought.)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Speaking of which, the Blaneys are Welsh, originally. Yeah, that seems like a good idea, give the fiefdom in the newly-conquered territory to a descendent of the people you conquered 400 years ago and he's still sore about it. That can only go well. (Amazingly, it did.)

Also the last Welsh prince of Wales (before Edward Longshanks beheaded him in between crusading and genociding the Scots) had the most Welsh name possible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llywelyn_ap_Gruffudd