Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Dunno if it was discussed here before or not, but recently GW hired a marketing manager from outside the company. The recent social media upsurge and retooling of White Dwarf back to a monthly format seem to be attributable to him, so hopefully he'll continue to hammer home how important getting your loving product out there is to the higher ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This is pretty cool, space wolf fans

http://cosplay.kotaku.com/warhammer-40k-cosplay-is-ready-to-die-for-the-emperor-1785279626

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
They're definitely taking clear strides in the right direction--the "Star Collecting" boxes, actual cheaper prices on new releases with the DW stuff, the FAQs (releasing those weekly is incredibly smart), moving back to Monthly White Dwarf--these are all good steps.

Here's what Games Workshop should do (for 40k) in the next 6 months from a marketing standpoint, in my opinion:

- Add a "New to Warhammer?" section to their site that introduces new players to the game and showcases the products and supplements you need to get started. Easy place to include hobby information and act as a selling point for everything from models to hobby supplies to terrain. Include an applet that allows players to locate stores and schedule intro games with staff. Complete an intro game and register on the site to get a free model (probably a monopose space marine, but plan to have more options in the future).

- Add "Start Playing" web bundles to the online store that include the codex, a copy of the mini rulebook, and the "Start Collecting" box, and whatever other option you need to get to an acceptable CAD. These should be priced at a slight discount over buying the items separately (~10% at most).

- Plan a campaign to cross-promote and Capitalize on Dawn of War 3. Nothing massive--rules for 3 new special characters, one for each general in the upcoming game, and a Dataslate that has rules for playing Blood Ravens -- new Chapter Tactics and 1-2 formations. I'm going on a tangent here, but I'd make the Blood Ravens' chapter tactics that they can go up to ML 3 with their Librarians, and give their scouts a bonus of some kind.

- Re-release the Kill Team rules for 40k, with a focus on incorporating the "Start Collecting" boxes and imposing more restrictions on what can be brought to games. Create a web campaign around this with content that shows how to customize and building a kill team, designed to entice established players to build a kill team for an army they don't own. Consider a rewards program for players that have spent some amount in the last year or two--look at their past purchases, and use that data to offer a small discount on any "new" army purchase.

- Create web content around expanding a starter army into a full force--a series of articles for each major 40k army that talks about where to go next, how to build, and what you need. Easy cross promotion.

- Painting guides should be free. Bring those back on to the website, stop printing full books of them. They're a vehicle to sell paints, brushes, and models and it's insulting to treat them otherwise.

- Plan to add content back to the site, either through an in-house team or freelancers. Plan a content strategy around daily releases (1-3) that cover the following topics, regularly:
- hobby/modeling/painting
- game tactics
- building/collecting an army
- cool community content/models (Armies on Parade)
- notes/interviews with the designers
- cool fluff/book excerpts

- Plan to release some test rules for 8th edition early for testing. Test the rules, gauge feedback in the community. This increases engagement with the brand and creates excitement for the new edition.

More to be done, but that's where I'd go next with 40k if I were CMO.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think step one of any marketing approach should be:
- Do some loving market research

Followed closely by:
- Develop a brand management team

They obviously don't have the in-house expertise but hiring a consulting firm should be a no-brainer. I'm suspicious that they even have a business development team, I feel like they're much more akin to the stereotypical start-up tech firms in HBO's Silicon Valley where they have a monstrous sales team, small design/engineering team, and an executive making decisions based solely on expanding the short-term value of the company so as to be sold-off.

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 15, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

- Painting guides should be free. Bring those back on to the website, stop printing full books of them. They're a vehicle to sell paints, brushes, and models and it's insulting to treat them otherwise.

- Plan to add content back to the site, either through an in-house team or freelancers. Plan a content strategy around daily releases (1-3) that cover the following topics, regularly:
- hobby/modeling/painting
- game tactics
- building/collecting an army
- cool community content/models (Armies on Parade)
- notes/interviews with the designers
- cool fluff/book excerpts

On these two notes - there was a job listing they posted looking for someone to do just that for the website, or at least something resembling that. As for painting guides, I'm fine with them selling them, but they'll be putting them in WDs and they've been releasing pretty great painting guides on Youtube for a while now. Right now they're even doing daily painting videos on Facebook showing off techniques and little things based on fan demand. I feel that's an area they're actually doing pretty well for the moment.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Boon posted:

I think step one of any marketing approach should be:
- Do some loving market research

Followed closely by:
- Develop a brand management team

They obviously don't have the in-house expertise but hiring a consulting firm should be a no-brainer. I'm suspicious that they even have a business development team, I feel like they're much more akin to the stereotypical start-up tech firms in HBO's Silicon Valley where they have a monstrous sales team, small design/engineering team, and an executive making decisions based solely on expanding the short-term value of the company so as to be sold-off.

Yeah I mean I'd do both of those things, but this is working under the assumption that I've been hired as CMO, so they've already recognized the need for a Marketing team and I've got the staff in place to execute this. It's also more boring to talk about creating and filling positions than to talk about larger campaigns and initiatives (it would also take a few months to hire and ramp up that team). For research, I'd look at developing a set of buyer/gamer personas and identifying ways to bring in new customers/players that don't explicitly involve dramatic price cuts.

SRM posted:

On these two notes - there was a job listing they posted looking for someone to do just that for the website, or at least something resembling that. As for painting guides, I'm fine with them selling them, but they'll be putting them in WDs and they've been releasing pretty great painting guides on Youtube for a while now. Right now they're even doing daily painting videos on Facebook showing off techniques and little things based on fan demand. I feel that's an area they're actually doing pretty well for the moment.

Fair enough--I've seen the YouTube painting guides before but that just means you've already got regular content you can put on the site. Unless the print painting guides are real sources of profit, I'd cut them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

- Add a "New to Warhammer?" section to their site that introduces new players to the game and showcases the products and supplements you need to get started. Easy place to include hobby information and act as a selling point for everything from models to hobby supplies to terrain. Include an applet that allows players to locate stores and schedule intro games with staff. Complete an intro game and register on the site to get a free model (probably a monopose space marine, but plan to have more options in the future).

They're already doing this to an extent. But with AoS in this case as they released a magazine last month that is supposed to serve as an introduction to the game and comes with a monopose Sigmarine. Haven't been able to flip through it. Not going to spend money on it on my own if anything.
So I mean the idea is already there.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Their guides are getting a lot better. I've peeked at the newer Sylvaneth one and it's leagues above the older How to Paint guides they released a couple of years ago in showing off how things can be painted. The older ones can be surprisingly vague at times but I was surprised at how clear and concise the new one is. So I'm glad they've made strides in improving that.
Tend to prefer picture guides over the video ones as I feel like the videos skip out on showing me how to do some detailing work and such so I can learn how to do it before it skips to the next section. Videos ones for me are good with "Here's what colours you need and in what order" but not so much as "Here's how to do the detail work on this stuff".

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Boon posted:

This was exactly the sort of thing Rountree was on about. Kevo's whole shebang was a late-term abortion practice of "slick 1%-er shows up with promises to expand/improve company, temporarily blows up value of company at extreme cost to long-term survivability, then bounces before it tanks with a pocketful of millions in ill-gained contractually-mandated executive departure package." It's the sort of poo poo that made even Greenspan loving blush and admit that HUH, I GUESS PEOPLE CAN'T BE COUNTED ON TO MAINTAIN LONGTERM SUSTAINABILITY IF MAXIMIZING PROFIT IN THE SHORT TERM IS AN OPTION THAT COUNTERS IT.

I wish this activity granted people cancer and impotence.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's 20 minutes of some dude attack moving around a map.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sux-9e190pw

I really don't like the new cover mechanic. It's almost non-existent. I'm really just not all that excited about DoW3 from what's been shown so far, but I guess we'll see how it turns out in the end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Safety Factor posted:

I really don't like the new cover mechanic. It's almost non-existent. I'm really just not all that excited about DoW3 from what's been shown so far, but I guess we'll see how it turns out in the end.

This looks AWFUL. It looks like an iPhone game. Even more so than the trailers did.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
E: Nm

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Rumor is that the new DW Flyer (Corvus Blackstar) is going to retail at $65. Not bad--that's about $10 less than what I expected

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How much time invested in a Chapter backstory is considered healthy? I think I've passed it no matter what and I'm afraid the fun, casual story has been infected with Grim Darkness...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

How much time invested in a Chapter backstory is considered healthy? I think I've passed it no matter what and I'm afraid the fun, casual story has been infected with Grim Darkness...
The Darkblood Wolffists were a noble chapter of heroes...

You do you, man. If you're enjoying coming up with things, continue to do so. Just don't spew your homegrown fluff at people who don't ask about it. :v:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Professor Shark posted:

It's your hobby, enjoy it how you want to.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

40k is already peak nerd, so you can't really mess up your reputation any further. May as well enjoy it :)

For me having a great chapter backstory is really fun. I also like coming up with at least a loose scenario for why I'm fighting my friends' army.

I had a friend who took it so far, he had a backstory and name for every marine. (Grey Knights :rolleyes:)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zaphod42 posted:

I had a friend who took it so far, he had a backstory and name for every marine. (Grey Knights :rolleyes:)
I had names for every member of my Wolf Guard when I played Space Wolves back in high school. I still try to name my sergeants and characters but I forget to a lot.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Huh. :stare: That might be a bit of a step too far.

I can't even come up with names for HQ characters. Like, I'm going to put together a heavily customized Forge Lord for 30k and I've just settled on calling him Superdork. No backstory or anything, he's just going to be a dude with a hilarious pile of weird wargear. Even this little bit of characterization is out of the ordinary for me.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I saw these live at GenCon, and I'm here to tell you that the woman in the back left pulled off the costume way better than any of the dudes. Her general bearing, cool poo poo braided into her hair, and no-bullshit countenance were perfect. If you ever wanted a justification for why there should be female Spesh Muhreens, she was absolutely it.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Ilor posted:

I saw these live at GenCon, and I'm here to tell you that the woman in the back left pulled off the costume way better than any of the dudes. Her general bearing, cool poo poo braided into her hair, and no-bullshit countenance were perfect. If you ever wanted a justification for why there should be female Spesh Muhreens, she was absolutely it.

My justification was to watch permavirgin fucksock sperglords absolutely lose their poo poo any time anyone even brings it up. It's terrible to go culturally slumming like that, but god drat, that "reeeeeeeEEEE" factor is just irresistibly hilarious in a setting with goth elves, Egyptian terminators ruled by Lovecraftian abominations, Johnny, and power-armored death metal guitarists who make you come and your head explode by playing SIKKK RIFFFFFS~.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

It looks like World Of Warcraft and the animation on the Knight moves like it's a tiny robit rather than a massive thing lumbering about.

You know what the next Chaos Marine Codex needs? Doomrider.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Since space wolves get Wolf Rider and Wolf Sleder, it's only fair we get Doom Rider

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

It looks like World Of Warcraft

You could at least be genre-appropriate and say "Warcraft 3", come on man I expected better of you

Truth be told having dudes all act in tandem and stay in formation always is one of the biggest visual problems the game is facing. If you look at DoW1 or 2 they're always all working at their own pace, slightly off-beat with each other, and it makes it a lot more immersive and realistic. Having them all act wholly in sync is what really makes the game look like a mobile game.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Given the complete lack of any visual effect at all when Gabriel destroys the Webway portal right at the beginning, it just vanishes, I think that this is till using alpha placeholder graphics.
That is at least what I'm hoping, that animations and VFX get polished up/added in the release version.

\/\/\/I'm well aware, but hey Relic is like all new people now. It might at least be a hilarious train wreck. :v:

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 16, 2016

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
That's exactly what people said about Soulstorm :v:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Soulstorm's campaign was such a piece of poo poo, it was like all the worst parts of Dark Crusade cranked up to 11. Most of the "levels" are entirely empty skirmish maps made for like 4v4 so they're gigantic wastelands and most of the fortresses are just dumb. Like the Necron one where you can literally just build your base up for 20 minutes and win.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SRM posted:

You could at least be genre-appropriate and say "Warcraft 3", come on man I expected better of you

Truth be told having dudes all act in tandem and stay in formation always is one of the biggest visual problems the game is facing. If you look at DoW1 or 2 they're always all working at their own pace, slightly off-beat with each other, and it makes it a lot more immersive and realistic. Having them all act wholly in sync is what really makes the game look like a mobile game.

Yep, that's what I said when the first trailer came out. Having everybody equally-spaced all the time looks way too clinical and fake. DOW 1 and 2 both had realistic crowds that would snag on each other and clump up and then spread out, and this completely lacks that and it looks godawful.

I can't get over how bad that looks, I can't even get jazzed about anything else because that's always there. I guess they added a drop-pod mechanic or something? The UI also looks like a mobile game, things are really big or really small for no reason.

Okay, that Knight looks kinda cool. That's the one positive thing I can say.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Relic didn't make Soulstorm, fortunately. They were made by Iron Lore, which was a studio that went bankrupt before the game even was released. My lovely for-profit college still had them as an option for animation internships even after they closed. Man that expansion was bad.

Fun fact: I was thinking I could maybe hire whoever did Boreale's voiceover for my dumb cartoons since he had to be someone both cheap and local, I thought. Turns out he's one of the most prolific and talented voice actors out there and I'm guessing he was just slumming hard that day:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_McNeil

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay, that Knight looks kinda cool. That's the one positive thing I can say.

I'm still optimistic because Relic hasn't made a bad RTS in my experience, but yeah the Knight looks pretty fuckin cool.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

Fun fact: I was thinking I could maybe hire whoever did Boreale's voiceover for my dumb cartoons since he had to be someone both cheap and local, I thought. Turns out he's one of the most prolific and talented voice actors out there and I'm guessing he was just slumming hard that day:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_McNeil

I would guess the casting direction was bad or somesuch which lead to that hilarity.
Sometimes you simply gotta get food on the table.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

This was exactly the sort of thing Rountree was on about. Kevo's whole shebang was a late-term abortion practice of "slick 1%-er shows up with promises to expand/improve company, temporarily blows up value of company at extreme cost to long-term survivability, then bounces before it tanks with a pocketful of millions in ill-gained contractually-mandated executive departure package." It's the sort of poo poo that made even Greenspan loving blush and admit that HUH, I GUESS PEOPLE CAN'T BE COUNTED ON TO MAINTAIN LONGTERM SUSTAINABILITY IF MAXIMIZING PROFIT IN THE SHORT TERM IS AN OPTION THAT COUNTERS IT.

I wish this activity granted people cancer and impotence.

Tom Kirby's soul to be cast into the abyss, forever tormented by She Who Thirsts

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Bourgeois blood for the Blood God
Corporatist skulls for the Throne of Khorne

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cooked Auto posted:

I would guess the casting direction was bad or somesuch which lead to that hilarity.
Sometimes you simply gotta get food on the table.

Yep, it almost certainly was the director. I missed working with Scott by about 6 months, but in a way its a blessing. Once you work with lots of voice actors you recognize people you know in just about every single movie and game. Takes some of the magic out of it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

Yep, it almost certainly was the director. I missed working with Scott by about 6 months, but in a way its a blessing. Once you work with lots of voice actors you recognize people you know in just about every single movie and game. Takes some of the magic out of it.

I hope Steve Blum voices at least a dozen characters in DoW3

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I hope Steve Blum voices at least a dozen characters in DoW3
The whole game should just be Blum talking at ever more gravelly versions of himself.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

The whole game should just be Blum talking at ever more gravelly versions of himself.

I'd be fine with that.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soulfucker posted:

That's exactly what people said about Soulstorm :v:

*Sister had a bug that let them get infinite resources*

GW: See, nobody wants to play against Sisters of Battle in multiplayer! Throw the new codex and models in the incinerator.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, if they had half a brain they'd bundle Dawn of War 3 with a blood raven special edition marine model, or a captain or something. That's how you convert people. "look, its the guy from your videogames! You already get him, for free, might as well buy some paints eh?" Then after you paint your blood raven captain, "hey, want to buy some other blood ravens to go with him?"

Instead they're pushing Crimson Slaughter as the introductory newbie friendly force... does anybody care about Crimson Slaughter really? They've gotta be like the least popular CSM faction and CSMs are in a bad spot anyways.

But GW has mostly always seen other products as competition. They've finally relented and realized that allowing for them to exist and accepting the licencing revenue is beneficial, but they still see them as mostly a side thing and if anything a distraction from their main tabletop business, instead of integrating it.

Not that anybody forgets, but this is the same company that told Blizzard to gently caress off with Warcraft. They could have had the entire Warcraft to Warcraft 3 series licenced from warhammer, could have been pulling in licensing for every single copy of Starcraft sold, and could be making a mint off World of Warcraft licensing.

But they told Blizzard to go gently caress themselves. And now they've gone from telling other companies to gently caress off to half-assed support, but its still too little too late.

My kindgom for a nice digital turn-based 40k videogame, with an army painter. But it'll never happen because GW is convinced it would be the death of their entire industry, when instead it could be the perfect way to win over new customers and ease them into the hobby.

This is a myth. Blizzard intended to make an RTS based on Warhammer, but bad experiences with their work with DC made them decide against it. It's still heavily inspired, but Blizzard never made the attempt to get i, touch with GW about a licensing deal.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
Finally got around to painting my Anniversary Marine. Seeing as those old timey schemes were overly elaborate, I thought I'd try a quartered scheme.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Wow, GW actually did something that impressed me:

quote:

CHARITY MODEL RAFFLE:
Supporting DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS/MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES

Created & Painted by Duncan Rhodes (GAMES WORKSHOP: Warhammer TV)
Put aside 1-1/2 hours to follow the creation of this incredible model HERE. Quoting Duncan, “This epic Citadel miniature requires an epic painting tutorial that is worthy of the Chaos Lord himself!”

“You watched him create it, now take a chance on winning it!”

The model comes in its own Citadel foam and carrying case. It also comes with a hand written note from Duncan Rhodes to the new owner! This is a first for Games Workshop, and the NOCF believes Archaon deserves a special set of circumstances:

JUST 2000 TICKETS AVAILABLE

Nova's little more than 2 weeks away. I was hoping to paint up a new Space Wolves army, but my eyes were bigger than my stomach. Guess I'll take the Necrons out for one final spin. SRM and Sex Cannon, what are you guys bringing? Anyone else planning to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Where's my combined adeptus mechanicus book GW!!!!

• Locked thread