Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Alright I have to end this game-buying frenzy before long. Since yesterday evening I've added Spy vs. Spy NES, Pushover for SNES, and the European version of Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits to my collection.

One of these days I will play all these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Hey, kind of a weird tangent, I guess, but if there's anyone who would know the answer to this question, I'd assume you guys would.

I just got the PS4 port of the PS2 game The Warriors - and it's been a long time since I've played it. I was watching the intro FMV, and one of the characters says "Are you going human being?"

It really surprised me - I don't recall hearing that at all when I played it, and I'm surprised that they kept the phrase in the game. I haven't seen the film - shame on me - so I'm assuming that it's drawn verbatim from it?

But it got me thinking - what other games have ever prominently used the word 'human being?' Because your garden variety swears of 'gently caress' and 'drat' and 'poo poo' et al have certainly become commonplace - but thankfully human being hasn't, and it's certainly fallen out of use in recent years.

I can remember, back in 2005 (when this game was released) and certainly before it, that I would utilize the epithet, casually even, in conversation and on the internet, but since then I've come to blanch and react negatively to it as strongly as I would incredibly strong racial epithets, which now brings me to a better inquiry - how many notable games in history have utilized what are certainly now nearly forbidden epithets/insults?

I listen to Louis CK, Bill Burr, Joe Rogan, etc. all the time, so I still hear that term a lot in their comedy and podcasts. I also don't remember hearing that in the game, but its been awhile since I played it. But ya, in 2005 it wasn't as taboo as it is now and since it is rated M, I don't see Rockstar editing that out. Especially since it is a "period piece" and based off the movie (and possibly the book?).

What pisses me off is that I have that game and Bully downloaded on my PS3, however, if I want them on my PS4 then I would have to buy them again... what is this? Nintendo eshop?!?!? Plus, I think they are like $9.99 games on the PS3 but $15 on the PS4?

Also, apparently there may be a show based off The Warriors in the works to air on either Amazon Prime or Hulu? At least there is talk of it being made.

Edit: as to your question, does Cartman go off on his usually anti-Semitic rants on Kyle in any of the South Park games? I still haven't gotten around to playing the Stick of Truth or whatever it's called.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 17, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

I heard El-P and Aesop Rock got bit parts voice-actor-wise

I didn't know this and have never played the game but this makes me want to

Also is there a retro rap thread where we can talk about how good these guys were without being laughed at, being an earnest def jux fan is hard in 2016 :smith:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i cant afford retro games right now so i'm just adding more and more games to my amazon wishlist

by retro i mean ps2 generation cause... im not really a collector i just wanna play the games and ps2 games are at least still sub-$20 for the most part.

my wishlist has grown to

henry hatsworth (DS), shining force EXA (PS2), nightshade (PS2), chaos legion (PS2), crimson sea 2 (PS2, this is on PSN tho..), nanobreaker (PS2), musashi samurai legend (PS2), under the skin (PS2), last story (Wii), metal saga (PS2), skygunner (PS2), gungrave/overdose (PS2), wild arms 4/5 (PS2), ape escape 2/3 (PS2), DQ Swords (Wii), dawn of mana (PS2), radiata stories (PS2), 4 heroes of light (DS), radiant historia (DS), bujingai the forsaken city (PS2)

so many obscure action games on ps2 i've missed out on.

also my magazine of choice was PC Gamer with the not-offensive-at-all coconut monkey

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Hey, kind of a weird tangent, I guess, but if there's anyone who would know the answer to this question, I'd assume you guys would.

I just got the PS4 port of the PS2 game The Warriors - and it's been a long time since I've played it. I was watching the intro FMV, and one of the characters says "Are you going human being?"

It really surprised me - I don't recall hearing that at all when I played it, and I'm surprised that they kept the phrase in the game. I haven't seen the film - shame on me - so I'm assuming that it's drawn verbatim from it?

But it got me thinking - what other games have ever prominently used the word 'human being?' Because your garden variety swears of 'gently caress' and 'drat' and 'poo poo' et al have certainly become commonplace - but thankfully human being hasn't, and it's certainly fallen out of use in recent years.

I can remember, back in 2005 (when this game was released) and certainly before it, that I would utilize the epithet, casually even, in conversation and on the internet, but since then I've come to blanch and react negatively to it as strongly as I would incredibly strong racial epithets, which now brings me to a better inquiry - how many notable games in history have utilized what are certainly now nearly forbidden epithets/insults?

I don't see what's so controversial. He's just talking about some delicious meatballs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt8IAJZTc-w

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Discount Viscount posted:

Alright I have to end this game-buying frenzy before long. Since yesterday evening I've added Spy vs. Spy NES, Pushover for SNES, and the European version of Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits to my collection.

You have to focus on games you want to play. The other stuff that just lies around you should sell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quest For Glory II posted:

i cant afford retro games right now so i'm just adding more and more games to my amazon wishlist

by retro i mean ps2 generation cause... im not really a collector i just wanna play the games and ps2 games are at least still sub-$20 for the most part.

my wishlist has grown to

henry hatsworth (DS), shining force EXA (PS2), nightshade (PS2), chaos legion (PS2), crimson sea 2 (PS2, this is on PSN tho..), nanobreaker (PS2), musashi samurai legend (PS2), under the skin (PS2), last story (Wii), metal saga (PS2), skygunner (PS2), gungrave/overdose (PS2), wild arms 4/5 (PS2), ape escape 2/3 (PS2), DQ Swords (Wii), dawn of mana (PS2), radiata stories (PS2), 4 heroes of light (DS), radiant historia (DS), bujingai the forsaken city (PS2)

so many obscure action games on ps2 i've missed out on.

also my magazine of choice was PC Gamer with the not-offensive-at-all coconut monkey

For what it's worth, Ape Escape 2's also on PS4 as a PS2 Classic. GG Overdose (but not the original) is a PS2 Classic on the PS3.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ugh I finally got around to attempting to install my n64rgb and I just found out that I have the smallest video encoder chip, so I need an adapter. Guess it'll have to wait a little bit longer.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Light Gun Man posted:

Japanese gaming magazines need to get scanned for the internet ASAP far as I'm concerned. They have decades of poo poo we probably don't even know is there, countless tie-in manga we've never seen, etc. There's barely any effort into that field at all other than like some of the PC Engine or Neo Geo communities maybe.

Sadly I imagine a ton of Japanese stuff is likely lost forever. The Japanese consider paper media (newspapers, magazines, manga, etc.) disposable. After it is read they will throw it away or recycle it.

A bunch of US and Euro stuff is lost to time and we invented hoarding. I hate to think what is lost in Japan.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For what it's worth, Ape Escape 2's also on PS4 as a PS2 Classic. GG Overdose (but not the original) is a PS2 Classic on the PS3.
I dont have a PS4 but I forgot that GGO is on PS3 PSN. man i wish the PS2 classics were the same across both platforms. fuckin. gently caress. PS4 gets rogue galaxy and okage :/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Djarum posted:

Sadly I imagine a ton of Japanese stuff is likely lost forever. The Japanese consider paper media (newspapers, magazines, manga, etc.) disposable. After it is read they will throw it away or recycle it.

A bunch of US and Euro stuff is lost to time and we invented hoarding. I hate to think what is lost in Japan.
The Shmupulations guy has mentioned in the past that he's found shitloads of old magazines etc. from 1983-2003 at the Tokyo National Diet Library.

In entirely unrelated news, a friend of mine did a write-up and lengthy video recording of a FMV game that might as well be considered lost to time: Gooch Grundy’s X-Decathlon!

quote:

Enter Gooch Grundy’s X-Decathlon, the zero-to-hero sports fantasy of your deepest nightmares and a triumphant disaster on every imaginable level. Top to bottom, from its concept to execution, the game’s freaky version of an international sports championship straddles the line between horrible and wonderful. It shouldn’t work, but because you can sample the game at your own pace as you find most entertaining, it endures as a stupid miracle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSCaGyQsNzE

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

d0s posted:

Also is there a retro rap thread where we can talk about how good these guys were without being laughed at, being an earnest def jux fan is hard in 2016 :smith:

This is the rap thread, I dunno how much laughing would happen, I'm not in it.

But I will digress just momentarily to say that The Impossible Kid is Aes' best record since Def Jux stopped being a thing at least, imo probably his best since Labor Days. Just saw him live last month. Good times.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

There should be 36 MLB stadiums and yet the sales page just says "all 30." It was probably just an oversight.

There are only 30 MLB teams though?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think the Scarface game might be the most gratuitous celebrity-VA game from that era:

quote:

9th Wonder
Adell Henderson
Affion Crockett
Ahmed Best
Al Israel
Alec Willows
Alessandro Juliani
Alex Désert
Alex Mendoza
Amanda Righetti
Andre Gordon
André Sogliuzzo
Andrea Zafra
Andrew Kavadas
Andy Toth
Angie Martinez
Anthony Anderson
Ark of Tweaponz
Art Bonilla
Bai Ling
Bam Margera
Big Poch
Bishop Lamont
Bob Robertson
B-Real
Brenda Strong
Brian Dobson
Brian Drummond
Camille Martinez
Campbell Lane
Carlos Arellano
Carlos Ferro
Carrie-Anne Zronick
Cathy Weseluck
Cheech Marin
Cheming Martinez-Carroll
Cheryl Rhoades
Chuy Gomez
Clinton Sparks
Cree Summer
Crystal Scales
Daetwon Thomas
Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Dale Hall
Daniel Day Kim
Dante Basco
Dave Fennoy
David Kaye
Debbie Brown
Debi Mae West
Deejay Jackson
Diora Baird
DJ Eque
DJ Kid Scratch
DJ Laz
DJ Whookid
Doug Coupland
Dylan Rhymer
Efrain Figueroa
Eileen Galindo
Elliot Gould
Enrique Sandoz
Eric Cubichee
Erik Weiner
E-Swift
Eugene Byrd
Eva De Viveiros
Felli Fell
Fred Tattasciore
Gabriel Romero
Gichi Gamba
Gillian Barberie
Glenn Plummer
Gonzalo Suarez
Greg Eagles
Heather Christie
Huey Morgan
Ice-T
Ivy Queen
Izreal of Tweaponz
Jack McGee
James Mathis III
James Woods
Jason Harris
Jay Mohr
Jennifer Robertson
Jerry Ferrara
Jessica Blossom
Joch Long
Joe Ferrero
John Marino
Jose Coronado
Julianne Grossman
Karen Holness
Karina Carreck
Kevin Dillon
Kevin Killebrew
Kim Shattuck
K-Shy
Lee Tockar
Lemmy
Linda Cullen
Louie Chorillo
Marco Rodriguez
Marcy Goldberg
Mark Oliver
Matt Hill
Mauricio Mendoza
Meagan Good
Michael Dobson
Michael Kopsa
Michael Rappaport
Michael York
Miguel Sandoval
Mr. Choc
N.O.R.E.
Nancy Sorel
Nikka Futterman
Oliver Platt
Paul Dobson
Peter Kelamis
Peter New
Phil LaMarr
Pitbull
Planet Asia
Psalmz of Tweaponz
Rene Mujica
Richard Green
Richard Roundtree
Rick Yune
Ricky Gervais
Rik Kiviabe
Rino Romano
Robert Davi
Robert Lassardo
Robert Loggia
Rodney Saulsberry
Rohff
Roma Maffia
Roxanna Hernandez
Ruben Trujillo
Scott McNeil
Sen Dog
Shani Pride
Steven Bauer
Stoney Emshwiller
Tabitha St. Germain
Thomas Chong
Tim Harrison
Tiny Lister
Tommy Lee
Tony Plana
Tony Samson
Vida Guerra
Wanda Christine
Wes Parker
Wilmer Valderama
Yareli Arizmendi

Electromax
May 6, 2007

d0s posted:

Aesop just had a great new album come out and El-P blew up with Run the Jewels.

It's cool they did a VG voice once. AR's new single will be in Madden '17.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I AM THE TOILET posted:

It's a direct quote from the movie. I'm hard pressed to think of any examples. The protagonist of M rated games are too macho to have their sexuality questioned and no matter how crude they are they wouldn't call another character that, usually because the subject matter wouldn't allow it (too busy shootan' mans to have a conversation).

Off the top of my head there's Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude which has a mascot called Twiggy, a literal bundle of sticks on fire. I think GTA3 had a "fag" joke about a cigarette company since that was DMA Design and they were still heavily British for a game set in America. They probably said it in Harvester, a terrible FMV game designed to be crude. And I think it also crops up in The Orion Conspiracy, an old adventure game about a guy investigating his homosexual son's murder.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I listen to Louis CK, Bill Burr, Joe Rogan, etc. all the time, so I still hear that term a lot in their comedy and podcasts. I also don't remember hearing that in the game, but its been awhile since I played it. But ya, in 2005 it wasn't as taboo as it is now and since it is rated M, I don't see Rockstar editing that out. Especially since it is a "period piece" and based off the movie (and possibly the book?).

What pisses me off is that I have that game and Bully downloaded on my PS3, however, if I want them on my PS4 then I would have to buy them again... what is this? Nintendo eshop?!?!? Plus, I think they are like $9.99 games on the PS3 but $15 on the PS4?

Also, apparently there may be a show based off The Warriors in the works to air on either Amazon Prime or Hulu? At least there is talk of it being made.

Edit: as to your question, does Cartman go off on his usually anti-Semitic rants on Kyle in any of the South Park games? I still haven't gotten around to playing the Stick of Truth or whatever it's called.

Yeah, it sucks given Microsoft's "put the disc in" approach, but the PS4 versions are actual remasters compared to the PS3 versions which are emulated. They frequently go on sale enough that I don't mind it. Bully right now is $10 and some change.

Regarding Stick of Truth, "Jew" is an entire player class but it honestly feels like they stuck it in only because it's so strongly associated with Cartman (it's basically a priest-warrior). Cartman comments on it during the character select screen then basically never again even when Kyle shows up.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
In terms of upcoming titles anyway, that new South Park game seems to lean real hard on "coon" based on E3, and a few people have said that Mafia 3 is gonna go places re: race in the south. So.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Crosspost from retro computer gaming.

Short and sweet: I need an idea of the value of some games I bought at an estate sale. This past weekend I went to one with my girlfriend and ran across a bunch of old as sin Apple II games. I didn't--and for all practical purposes still don't--know what the gently caress an Apple II is or anything about these games. But I figured they'd fetch for a few bucks on eBay, so I bought them for $60, figuring at worst I'd break even.

The games I bought (all complete):
Ultima IV
Ultima V
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Planetfall

I know the first two are likely far more valuable than the latter two. I can post pictures if someone wants to see them.

Questions:
( 1 ) Will these games even play given how old they are? Does this even matter, i.e., does this impact the value of these games?

( 2 ) How much do you think each is worth?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

Yeah, it sucks given Microsoft's "put the disc in" approach, but the PS4 versions are actual remasters compared to the PS3 versions which are emulated. They frequently go on sale enough that I don't mind it. Bully right now is $10 and some change.

It's definitely still emulation. A lot of the "enhancements" that were reported for some of the early PS2-on-PS4 games were due to inaccurate emulation that just happened to be beneficial to those particular games.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For a lark I decided to boot up a couple of games I had on my Wii U's virtual console as a point of comparison with the NESRGB and god drat the VC versions look terrible. I definitely had the idea before going into all of this that if I had a game on the VC that'd do just fine, that was the best the game could reasonably look and something like the NESRGB would just be the same sort of thing but with the added nostalgia from playing on an actual NES. The VC version looks blurry as hell, I'm not sure if it's the upscale or the emulation but it's nowhere even the same conversation as RGB on the NESRGB. Guess that answers the question as to whether I should re-buy some of my favorites that I have on VC but not yet in cartridge form yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's definitely still emulation. A lot of the "enhancements" that were reported for some of the early PS2-on-PS4 games were due to inaccurate emulation that just happened to be beneficial to those particular games.

The additional purchase cost is probably because they had to rebuild the emulated version for PS4 really. The cross-buy versions for PS1 and PSN games worked on PS3/PSP/Vita is because it was one standardized version across all three, so it's no big deal to just let people have'em.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gio posted:

Ultima IV
Ultima V
Planetfall

I'm no expert, but a few minutes of cursory eBaying would indicate that you should be able to make money on the purchase, assuming you can move them. Ultima seems to hover around 30ish each for the disks alone, much more if it's boxed. I saw a couple of HHG2TG disks ranging anywhere from 10-30.

If they are still boxed and have all the manuals, that will help a lot.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

We had HDMI switch chat a few pages ago--is there anything in particular to look out for in an S-Video switch?

This is the first google result, would it be an OK choice for some retro consoles in a commercial Trinitron crt? https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-28750-Composite-Selector/dp/B0032ANC8M

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Drone posted:

I'm no expert, but a few minutes of cursory eBaying would indicate that you should be able to make money on the purchase, assuming you can move them. Ultima seems to hover around 30ish each for the disks alone, much more if it's boxed. I saw a couple of HHG2TG disks ranging anywhere from 10-30.

If they are still boxed and have all the manuals, that will help a lot.

They are 100% complete. I mean, one if for sure, the other most likely. My concern is I have no way to test them. Dumb question, but does it even matter if they work or not? I only ask this because other listings don't specify if they'd been tested, and I figure not many games that old even work.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Turn on voice chat in any competitive online game. :v:

There is actually something to this, because I think a few early online games like Ultima Online got M ratings specifically because of this and not due to anything actually in the game itself, before the ESRB figured out they could just say that they don't rate online shitheads.

It's actually interesting since the use of slurs like "human being" and "friend of the family" are pretty rare in media, relatively speaking, even in books and film, I can't think of many movies where those words are used as a slur if you exclude movies where "racism" or whatever is the main central theme of the movie (I'm not counting white people antagonizing Jackie Robinson with the word friend of the family in a movie about him).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Japanese gaming magazines need to get scanned for the internet ASAP far as I'm concerned. They have decades of poo poo we probably don't even know is there, countless tie-in manga we've never seen, etc. There's barely any effort into that field at all other than like some of the PC Engine or Neo Geo communities maybe.

I've kept an eye out for the manga from the 80's about playing video games (as opposed to manga which is just video game tie ins) and not had much luck.

Gio posted:

Ultima IV
Ultima V
Planetfall

I know the first two are likely far more valuable than the latter two. I can post pictures if someone wants to see them.

I wouldn't bet on that. Actually complete Infocom games are worth a pretty good amount. The real question for you is are they really complete? Ultima IV and V need to have cloth maps. U4 has a metal ankh. U5 should have a metal coin. HHGttG should have packages of multipurpose fluff, a microscopic space fleet, peril sensitive sunglasses, and destruction orders for the Earth and Arthur Dent's house. I forget what special extras Planetfall came with.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I wouldn't bet on that. Actually complete Infocom games are worth a pretty good amount. The real question for you is are they really complete? Ultima IV and V need to have cloth maps. U4 has a metal ankh. U5 should have a metal coin. HHGttG should have packages of multipurpose fluff, a microscopic space fleet, peril sensitive sunglasses, and destruction orders for the Earth and Arthur Dent's house. I forget what special extras Planetfall came with.
I have all of these. The boxes have plenty of scuffs, but the contents inside are pristine.

Ultima IV lists on the box what it comes with, and mine is definitely complete. Ultima V has a ton of poo poo with it, including metal ankh and cloth map.

asking again: Does it matter if the disks play or not?

Gio fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 17, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gio posted:

I have all of these. The boxes have plenty of scuffs, but the contents inside are pristine.

Ultima IV lists on the box what it comes with, and mine is definitely complete. Ultima V has a ton of poo poo with it, including metal ankh and cloth map.

asking again: Does it matter if the disks play or not?

Generally speaking yes. Hardware can have the caveat of being "as-is" but I don't think games are covered by that. eBay favors the buyer so all it takes is someone upset to force a refund. Given the target audience I think you'll be safe, most people buying computer games that old just want the packaging, but there's always a risk.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

al-azad posted:

Generally speaking yes. Hardware can have the caveat of being "as-is" but I don't think games are covered by that. eBay favors the buyer so all it takes is someone upset to force a refund. Given the target audience I think you'll be safe, most people buying computer games that old just want the packaging, but there's always a risk.

Isn't there also often as much demand for the "feelies" that come with those games as for the games themselves?

Man, I wish games still came with feelies. Also big thick manuals and posters and poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Drone posted:

Isn't there also often as much (or more?) demand for the "feelies" that come with those games as for the games themselves?

That's what I'm saying. People buying old computer games want the contents. The disks are volatile, I wonder how many people overwrote their original media which is why the manuals would tell you to make backups.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

That's what I'm saying. People buying old computer games want the contents. The disks are volatile, I wonder how many people overwrote their original media which is why the manuals would tell you to make backups.

Nah, original media was always write-protected and you needed a set mind to get around that. Disks were always stupidly-fragile and I had a few games which specifically included a mail-in coupon you could send in with like :10bux: or something for a 2nd set of legit disks because they were extremely failure-prone.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

univbee posted:

Nah, original media was always write-protected and you needed a set mind to get around that. Disks were always stupidly-fragile and I had a few games which specifically included a mail-in coupon you could send in with like :10bux: or something for a 2nd set of legit disks because they were extremely failure-prone.

Maybe 3 1/2" games but I'm pretty sure you could overwrite 5 1/4".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

Maybe 3 1/2" games but I'm pretty sure you could overwrite 5 1/4".

5.25" floppies had a notch on the side.

To write protect them you had to tape over that notch (when you bought blank 5.25" disks they usually came with a sheet of little tape rectangles for this purpose along with labels to put on the disks themselves), and generally speaking retail software media straight-up had that entire thing as solid plastic with no notch, so to overwrite them you would literally need scissors and at that point we're well past things being accidental.

3.5" disks had a little black plastic square which slid to expose a hole to indicate write protection, and likewise retail software just straight-up didn't have the square to slide around so overwriting them required tape.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Yeah I have someone offering me $40 for Ultima IV b/c the game likely doesn't play, but now I'm pretty positive he's trying to low ball me if what you guys are saying is true.

Pretty sure I'm going to relist these. They're priced high enough now that if they sell I'm not upset. Not sure if I should list it as an auction or buy-it-now. Auctions are loving risky, particularly for something this old and niche, and I don't want to pay for a reserve price.

Gio fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 17, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FilthyImp posted:

Oddly enough The Warriors for the Xbox one (The First Xbox, the one that is xhuge) is a title that's eluded their vaunted backwards comp forever.

Which sucks because that's the version I bought when my movie theatre had an in-house Xbox for game night rentals

Well they stopped adding any new games to the backwards compatibility on the 360 after like 2009 or something. Rumor is that they're going to start doing backwards compatibility for original Xbox titles on the One though, sometime next year. And considering how much more powerful it is than the 360, it should result in better support among more games.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

univbee posted:

3.5" disks had a little black plastic square which slid to expose a hole to indicate write protection, and likewise retail software just straight-up didn't have the square to slide around so overwriting them required tape.

Oh man, now I'm getting flashbacks to using the tape trick to overwrite cassette tapes for my TalkBoy as a kid.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Saucer Crab posted:

There are only 30 MLB teams though?

poo poo really? I remember the leagues being unbalanced because of the wonky team numbers but could have sworn it was because they went over 32 back in the day, not because they were still under it.

Why did one of this threads many other baseball fans not call me out first?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gio posted:

Yeah I have someone offering me $40 for Ultima IV b/c the game likely doesn't play, but now I'm pretty positive he's trying to low ball me if what you guys are saying is true.

Pretty sure I'm going to relist these. They're priced high enough now that if they sell I'm not upset. Not sure if I should list it as an auction or buy-it-now. Auctions are loving risky, particularly for something this old and niche, and I don't want to pay for a reserve price.

If you have the full set of feelies and everything but the game working, price it to something reasonably high minus the cost of a basic/disc-only copy of the game. Those will still command high prices regardless of whether the actual game works.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Drone posted:

Isn't there also often as much demand for the "feelies" that come with those games as for the games themselves?

Man, I wish games still came with feelies. Also big thick manuals and posters and poo poo.

That's what "collector's editions" are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Discount Viscount posted:

Pushover is a really underrated SNES title if you ask me. That game is a lot of fun, especially if you have a friend to work on the puzzles with.

• Locked thread