Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

WaffleStomp posted:

The same thing can be said about Tired Hands cans too. Those beers fall off quick.

Not completely true. Some of them have gotten better after a couple weeks. There was a batch of Alien Church that was really grassy fresh but after a week or so it mellowed out and was awesome. And I know there were a couple of other things that held up really well. I drank my last can of Death Tripper when it was about six weeks old and while it wasn't as good as fresh it was still super juicy and awesome. So far I haven't had any issues with the cans I've bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I thought Nomura was Pinthouse Pizza's Treehouse/Trillium equivalent? poo poo tasted just like Julius when I had it a month ago.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

arbybaconator posted:

I thought Nomura was Pinthouse Pizza's Treehouse/Trillium equivalent? poo poo tasted just like Julius when I had it a month ago.

Haven't had it but Nomura is the "imperial ipa" version of Electric Jellyfish and yes that's also a replica attempt.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

What's the story with wicked weed? I thought it was grocery store/gas station iced tea flavored malt liquor but now it's popping up with strict bottle and pour limits around town.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sextro posted:

What's the story with wicked weed? I thought it was grocery store/gas station iced tea flavored malt liquor but now it's popping up with strict bottle and pour limits around town.

They're delicious, try something from their angel series.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I think you're thinking of Jeremiah Weed.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

poop dood posted:

I think you're thinking of Jeremiah Weed.

Or Twisted Tea, which sounds similar.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Wicked weed sours are fantastic, they're non sours are kinda mediocre.

I posted in beer trading but no one seems to be reading that...looking for sweet potato and anything else good from Buddha. Actually a good Florida hookup with cycle, angry chair etc would be nice.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Old Style Oktoberfest is the real deal. It is the truth. I am going to drink so much of it.

Actually, it is actually pretty alright. It is not amazing by any stretch, but it is better than I thought it would be and better than some craft Oktoberfests I have had in the past. For $5.99 a 4pack of pint cans you could do a whole hell of a lot worse.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Fat Lou posted:

Old Style Oktoberfest is the real deal. It is the truth. I am going to drink so much of it.

Actually, it is actually pretty alright. It is not amazing by any stretch, but it is better than I thought it would be and better than some craft Oktoberfests I have had in the past. For $5.99 a 4pack of pint cans you could do a whole hell of a lot worse.

WHAT IN THE HOLY gently caress.

I blame you people for me only learning about this now. My cheap-rear end-loving-beer drinkin' has gone down significantly and the timeline corresponds pretty closely with starting to post here. Now I'm all "Ooohhh, another Maigre variant" and "Look at this 3 year old bottle I just opened!" Meanwhile, Old Style is pushing out something that isn't OSL (THE L STANDS FOR LUXURY) or the much-loved-but-mostly-bad OSGD.

gently caress.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Could be worse, my beer experiments today have brought me across CORN BEER, proudly made with COLORADO CORN (it was just a mediocre adjunct lager), so there is a cost to delving into the cheap poo poo

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Surprisingly less bad than WUSSIE though jfc stone stop putting a million hops into every loving beer not everything needs to be halfway to an ipa

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Control Volume posted:

Surprisingly less bad than WUSSIE though jfc stone stop putting a million hops into every loving beer not everything needs to be halfway to an ipa

Yeah, Wussie is not good and I don't recommend it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah it tastes like an IPA except the only thing the hops add is bitterness, its literally just bitter budweiser the more I taste it

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
i thought it was fine and certainly not any hoppier than say, prima

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Traveling to Portland in the next few days, for three days. I'd appreciate top-three brewery recommendations! I'll have a rental car, so I can drive a bit if need be.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Fat Lou posted:

What.
What?!

It's 11pm and I'm drinking a Live Oak Pilz and holy crap do i want to run out and find this Right Freaking Now. My second thought was legit "I wonder if my Old Style guy at the Cubs game will have them..."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So while I was out in Arizona, I went to the only local brewery I'd heard that was really worth going to (Having now tried most of them, I'd disagree with that, I think one or two others are worth a stop if you're in town): Arizona Wilderness Brewing in Chandler.

Man oh man do they do some good beers. Their IPAs are only passable, but they have been knocking goses out of the park, and that's really the perfect style for Arizona summers. First time I went in they had a grapefruit gose that was the exact color of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice, it was amazing and I got a growler fill to bring back with me (I have a stainless-steel screw-top growler that's safe to carry in checked baggage). Everyone back home loved it.

This time around, they did a watermelon gose. Wow. Nothing the least bit artificial-tasting about it, you drink it and the finish explodes with fresh watermelon juice. So good. And they were doing a can release, so I showed up on that Saturday morning and bought my limit: 2 32-ounce cans each of the watermelon gose and the blood orange gose.

Got them back to the hotel and disaster had struck. All four of the cans leaked. It turns out that what had transpired was they had a problem with the canning system, it was not properly calibrated, and basically the whole batch of cans had very-slightly-loose lids. You could turn a can upside-down and shake it and nothing would come up, but leave it sitting there right-side up and foam would eventually ooze out the seal and drip down the side of the can. Anyway, I contacted them and they did the right thing and said yes, bring them in and exchange them for some of the new batch with properly-sealed lids. Only trouble is they were out of the blood orange and offered me another can of something else instead. I asked if they'd fill my 64-ounce stainless growler with blood orange from the tap, they said yes, I was happy.

Until I got back into Philly and got my bag at the luggage carousel, where it was emitting a distinct odor of beer. Fuuuck, I figured, one of the cans of watermelon got punctured or squeezed open somehow.

I get home, bring the thing downstairs to the laundry, and open the bag.

Sitting there on top of my beer-sodden clothes is a paper from the TSA: NOTICE OF BAGGAGE INSPECTION.

Here is what happened. A TSA employee, upon seeing a 64-ounce bottle of liquid in my checked baggage, which is specifically permitted, and seeing that the screw top to this bottle was both secured *and* taped on, undid the tape, removed the screw top lid, presumably inspected the contents (I'm guessing his inspection consisted of tasting it), and then taped the lid back on.

Note that he *did not screw the loving lid back on prior to applying the tape*.

Please, I beg of you: if I am ever in such straitened circumstances, so bereft of productive or mental capacity or the wherewithal to concoct a pandhandler sign sufficiently amusing to encourage donations, that I turn to the TSA for employment, *please* shoot me in the face so that my organs might be donated to medical science and I can do some actual good in this world. I swear to Christ I would vote for Hitler himself if he promised to abolish that useless titsuck of a government agency.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

illcendiary posted:

Traveling to Portland in the next few days, for three days. I'd appreciate top-three brewery recommendations! I'll have a rental car, so I can drive a bit if need be.

which Portland?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

What.
What?!

It's 11pm and I'm drinking a Live Oak Pilz and holy crap do i want to run out and find this Right Freaking Now. My second thought was legit "I wonder if my Old Style guy at the Cubs game will have them..."

I am looking forward to exactly this sort of thing.

Re: 3 Floyds - I assume turn up early to avoid having to wait in your car to get a table? I understand that Indiana law prohibits standing at the bar waiting. Which is funny because reviewers clearly don't understand it.

Some idiot on google posted:

Jeez, a brewery trying to be a gourmet restaurant? Why should someone have to make a reservation, wait 30 to 90 min., to come in and try your beer??? I stopped in just to try their beer and was told they don't have a seat. I don't need a seat, I'll stand and drink. Sorry, we don't have seat. Sorry, I'll take my business elsewhere if you don't want it. I've been to all the top So Cal brewpubs (Stone, Ballast Point, Green Flash) and maybe FFF needs to study their tasting room design and operation. FFF operates like rookies

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Control Volume posted:

This is how I feel about Sixpoint. Cream ale? Hopbang it. Pilsner? Hopbang it.
I had serious reservations about trying their Jammer but then it wasn't hopped to hell and I was pleasantly surprised.
I might need to go back and try Sweet Action again, maybe my taste buds have mellowed; one of my first attempts at tasting craft beer was Rogue Dead Guy and I thought it was hoppy as hell the first time, then a few years later my perception was completely different.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

which Portland?

Whoops, Oregon.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

graybook posted:

This is how I feel about Sixpoint. Cream ale? Hopbang it. Pilsner? Hopbang it.
I had serious reservations about trying their Jammer but then it wasn't hopped to hell and I was pleasantly surprised.
I might need to go back and try Sweet Action again, maybe my taste buds have mellowed; one of my first attempts at tasting craft beer was Rogue Dead Guy and I thought it was hoppy as hell the first time, then a few years later my perception was completely different.

Sixpoint was dead to me ever since they stopped canning Apollo. And hey I live in Austin now and I can get Live Oak Hef both on draft and cans at the Quickie Pickie like 5 mins from my place :sg:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kaiho posted:

Re: 3 Floyds - I assume turn up early to avoid having to wait in your car to get a table? I understand that Indiana law prohibits standing at the bar waiting. Which is funny because reviewers clearly don't understand it.

If you hit FFF during the weekend- and even Fridays- plan on waiting a while.

And I don't think the issue about not having a table/place to sit is a legal one. I think they don't want 30 douchebags standing in the middle of the place, getting hammered, blocking servers from getting to tables and just being in the way. Seems completely reasonable to me.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

danbanana posted:

If you hit FFF during the weekend- and even Fridays- plan on waiting a while.

And I don't think the issue about not having a table/place to sit is a legal one. I think they don't want 30 douchebags standing in the middle of the place, getting hammered, blocking servers from getting to tables and just being in the way. Seems completely reasonable to me.

According to current plan I'll be there on a Tuesday. And I completely understand that too. They get to choose the type of atmosphere and environment they want to have at their venue.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

illcendiary posted:

Whoops, Oregon.

I was there a couple weeks ago and asked the same question beforehand

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

In Portland, I would recommend The Commons, Breakside, Culmination, and Ex Novo. All are very good breweries that will have a ton of beers that get limited or no distribution. You should also go to a good bottle shop, like Belmont Station, and pick up as many bottles of pFriem as you can lug back with you (they are in Hood River, which I assume you won't be going to). You should be able to get HotD bottles there as well.

I was stupid busy the entire time I was there — though fortunately the hotel I was at had a bar with Breakside, etc. on tap — but on my one outing did find by accident a new-ish brewery called StormBreaker that had some OK stuff.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Thanks for the recommendations! Looks like I have a busy few days ahead of me.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If you've never been to Portland before and you can only do one big thing I still say that the walk that includes Hair of the Dog, The Commons, and Cascade is one of the better things you can do.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Depending on when you're here, I might recommend Upright over The Commons. On the other hand, The Commons is in a very good area with Cascade, Growler Guys, and Loyal Legion all within walking distance, Hair of the Dog is quite close as well.

Edit - yeah, what he said ^^

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

illcendiary posted:

Do what the other's said RE: HotD, Commons, Cascade, etc. Also take the 1hr drive west to Tillamook for deGarde. Stop at the Tillamook cheese factory and take the tour/snack on some curds.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

arbybaconator posted:

Do what the other's said RE: HotD, Commons, Cascade, etc. Also take the 1hr drive west to Tillamook for deGarde. Stop at the Tillamook cheese factory and take the tour/snack on some curds.

If you've got time to travel an hour from Portland, I'd recommend Hood River over Tillamook. The combo of Pfriem, Logsdon, and Double Mountain > deGarde, IMO. Plus the surrounding area is much nicer.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

If you've got time to travel an hour from Portland, I'd recommend Hood River over Tillamook. The combo of Pfriem, Logsdon, and Double Mountain > deGarde, IMO. Plus the surrounding area is much nicer.

Hood River is great for all the reasons you mentioned. The view at Solera is absolutely amazing.
I love me some deGarde though - one of my favorite breweries.

arbybaconator fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 17, 2016

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Captain Duvel posted:

Wicked weed sours are fantastic, they're non sours are kinda mediocre.

Except for Pernicious, which is a fantastic IPA. I don't think I've been to the store once this summer and been able to resist picking up another fresh 4-pack of it.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Kaiho posted:

According to current plan I'll be there on a Tuesday. And I completely understand that too. They get to choose the type of atmosphere and environment they want to have at their venue.

I may have mentioned this before, but FFF uses NoWait for their seating/reservation system. Get the app on your phone and get "in line" like 10minutes before you show up, knocks a good chunk off your wait.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

WaffleStomp posted:

The same thing can be said about Tired Hands cans too. Those beers fall off quick.

I'm sitting on a crapload of the Modern Times "Juicy" IPA they just did, so let's see if these start imploding. Tasting delicious atm.

I know that Monkish canned IPAs are actually really solid a few weeks in, never had enough of any to let them get to like months old and sample though.

danbanana posted:

WHAT IN THE HOLY gently caress.

I blame you people for me only learning about this now. My cheap-rear end-loving-beer drinkin' has gone down significantly and the timeline corresponds pretty closely with starting to post here. Now I'm all "Ooohhh, another Maigre variant" and "Look at this 3 year old bottle I just opened!" Meanwhile, Old Style is pushing out something that isn't OSL (THE L STANDS FOR LUXURY) or the much-loved-but-mostly-bad OSGD.

gently caress.

I not jokingly want some of this so bad.

cryme posted:

i thought it was fine and certainly not any hoppier than say, prima

Yep, this is a hilarious example of perception influencing people's tastebuds. Wussie isn't particularly bitter at all. They do use more American varietals but it's actually pretty in line with any other pilsner.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

MunchE posted:

Yep, this is a hilarious example of perception influencing people's tastebuds. Wussie isn't particularly bitter at all. They do use more American varietals but it's actually pretty in line with any other pilsner.

lol gently caress off

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Control Volume posted:

lol gently caress off

If there are awards for beer thread poster of the year I nominate Control Volume. I also nominate Midorka for lifetime achievement award.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

HatfulOfHollow posted:

If there are awards for beer thread poster of the year I nominate Control Volume. I also nominate Midorka for lifetime achievement award.

Yep and 2015's was krustster

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Yeah hood river/the gorge are pretty much the prettiest things ever and it's a very quick drive.

Sierra Nevada's October fest is so drat good this year. Fall and winter are the best shelf beer seasons, I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
eh i'm gonna walk back my tree house accessibility complaint a little bit. i was in and out of there in 15 minutes today. not so bad. i still wouldn't have gone if it wasn't on my way though