Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

Oh man, coming back to Quick Play is painful: I Hanjos, Widows, tons of offensive bastions, bad genjis and grounded pharahs. My quick-play MMR must be low as poo poo.

Offensive Bastions own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thor-Stryker posted:

Oh man, coming back to Quick Play is painful: I Hanjos, Widows, tons of offensive bastions, bad genjis and grounded pharahs. My quick-play MMR must be low as poo poo.

Just came off a defending Kings Row against a 4 soldier comp as the only healer. I proceeded to get POTG, 4 golds, and had the other team complimenting me as Zenyatta. Our only healer. What does one guy on my team say? We needed a better healer because Zen can't outheal 4 soliders worth of damage. I guess he was too busy playing symmetra to go second healer since no healer would be able to outheal that dps alone... :shepicide:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

Offensive Bastions own

Reported.

Totally TWISTED posted:

Just came off a defending Kings Row against a 4 soldier comp as the only healer. I proceeded to get POTG, 4 golds, and had the other team complimenting me as Zenyatta. Our only healer. What does one guy on my team say? We needed a better healer because Zen can't outheal 4 soliders worth of damage. I guess he was too busy playing symmetra to go second healer since no healer would be able to outheal that dps alone... :shepicide:

Reported. Next time be a team player.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
This comp thing people talk about is unlocked at level 25 right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I wish this game had replays with global spectating. I just had a failed Route 66 where I as Dva was repeatedly trying to push the payload against 3-4 enemies stalling as much as I could, and I'm curious what was going on in places outside my field of view. Were my teammates shooting over my shoulder? Were they trying to flank and failing? was there 1 or 2 guys in the backfield keeping them shut down? Were they having a campout singing Kumbaya? Given how long I was not dying I'm guessing at least a few were A.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

"We need a better healer than Ana." "How about you join me healing? 2 healers would really help stabilize this clusterfuck." "If it's a clusterfuck go Lucio so you heal everyone." "Nobody's standing together, which is WHY it's a clusterfuck, so a totem won't help much."

Everyone promptly stopped lone wolfing, stood on the payload, I tranq'd Genji just after he ulted (don't cheer me too much, I'd been trying and missing all game) and we won 30 seconds later. Not what I was trying to accomplish but I'll take it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zephyrine posted:

This comp thing people talk about is unlocked at level 25 right?

yea you can play competitive once you hit level 25

first season ends tomorrow tho so you might have time to get your placement matches done but nothing else

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mystic Stylez posted:

Offensive Bastions own

The rudest beeps and boops, I am so offended by this uncouth machine.

I think that's the only plausible way in which offensive bastion is effective.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea you can play competitive once you hit level 25

first season ends tomorrow tho so you might have time to get your placement matches done but nothing else

I've been playing for a week now and I'm level 12 so... easy does it I guess :v:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Mukaikubo posted:

I just tried to queue for quick play and got put in skirmish. There were 4 anas in skirmish that appeared to never be queued anywhere, and instantly surrounded me and started chain-sleeping me while typing "uninstall" every time I got put to sleep.

It may be time to uninstall, is what I'm getting out of today's Overwatch effort. :smith:

This is so good it needs to be on this page as well

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'll see you goons in a few weeks when comp comes back. I tried doing some QP today and matches with poo poo like 3 expert level genjis on the enemy team or no tanks/heals on my team reminded me real quick why I stopped doing that game mode.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I'll see you goons in a few weeks when comp comes back. I tried doing some QP today and matches with poo poo like 3 expert level genjis on the enemy team or no tanks/heals on my team reminded me real quick why I stopped doing that game mode.

Says the person who almost exclusively plays Torbjorn in comp.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

Says the person who almost exclusively plays Torbjorn in comp.

:shrug:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Verranicus posted:

Drink it in. If the two guy premade in your group wants to pick Symmetra and torb on attack, gently caress you its just quickplay gently caress you ur dumb.

I miss server browsers and private servers.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't know why you'd complain about multiple Genjis in quickplay because in terms of multi-hero comp nothing shuts down multiple Genjis faster than multiple Winstons and there's at least one other person in every six-person team who when you say "hey let's go multi-Winston" will totally be down for playing a jetpack gorilla. Seriously, I just got out of a game where the opposing team (Gibraltar, we were defense) started out trying that poo poo and we went double Winston and just clowned on them until they went like two Reapers and a Mei, at which point we went triple Junkrat and won between the second and third checkpoint.

There are some awful and annoying multi-hero comps to deal with, but I wish every one of them was as easy and as fun to shut down as the team that goes "haha yeah we should totally go 2-3 Genjis, that's the ticket."

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm sure some people out there love hero stacking, I'm just not one of them. I think more than anything else that's what drew me to playing comp despite not usually giving two shits about ranked play in online games. I wasn't saying triple Genji was super effective, just that it was annoying and the idea that "oh lol if the enemy cheeses all you have to do is cheese back!!" is stupid. Now that comp exists nobody takes QP seriously, either, which is frustrating for people who don't just want to play "practice" for close to a month before the real game is turned back on.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
6 soldier is a fun gimmick once in a while (maybe not any more :rip:)

6 torbjorn on the other hand, dear god no.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I will confess to 6-Torbing Volskaya. It went a lot better than when some folks tried 6-Torbing Ilos against us. If they have a chance to get set up with covering bits of fire, it can be quite an annoying nut to crack.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
yous can be a tryhard AND a funhaver, dudes

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also I hate to break it to you but plenty of people don't take comp that seriously either.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Night Blade posted:

I miss server browsers and private servers.

Yeah... :(

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Verranicus posted:

I'm sure some people out there love hero stacking, I'm just not one of them. I think more than anything else that's what drew me to playing comp despite not usually giving two shits about ranked play in online games. I wasn't saying triple Genji was super effective, just that it was annoying and the idea that "oh lol if the enemy cheeses all you have to do is cheese back!!" is stupid. Now that comp exists nobody takes QP seriously, either, which is frustrating for people who don't just want to play "practice" for close to a month before the real game is turned back on.

Maybe "practice" playing someone besides Tobelrone?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

vulturesrow posted:

Maybe "practice" playing someone besides Tobelrone?

I can play other characters, I just chose not to. Was I on your team once or something? I'm sorry if I upset you.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean the thing about quickplay too is that if you go into the hero select screen and immediately see someone say "6 symmetras lolol" you can just, y'know, quit and queue up a new game and you aren't loving anyone over like you would be in comp. The worst that happens is you might get an XP penalty if you do it too much.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kai Tave posted:

Also I hate to break it to you but plenty of people don't take comp that seriously either.

Competitive and quickplay comes down to which set of rules you prefer and if you think golden guns look pretty. The people who treat competitive like an esports junior league have built it up in their minds to be something that isn't represented in game.

I play comp because I like the larger set of rounds per cycle of matchmaking, and I think it's annoying when people drop out in the middle of games in quickplay. I'm not there to reach rank 100 or whatever.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Verranicus posted:

I can play other characters, I just chose not to. Was I on your team once or something? I'm sorry if I upset you.

Nope. Just suggesting a way of approaching QP. I'd also offer that what you find irritating about QP might be similar to what I imagine would be people's irritation with someone who insists on playing Torj no matter what in comp.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Last match of the season. Let the bloodlust take over. 54 kills as Mei. Worth it.

i hanjo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Like I decided to play more comp as the season drew to a close even though I don't care for a lot of the design decisions going into it like sudden death, best-of-five for KotH, the lack of effective disincentives for leavers and no effective method of backfilling, etc, because I figured hey why not, maybe I can get myself up to a new golden gun threshold even though I don't really care about golden guns and maybe the games will be somehow magically superior to quickplay. Spoiler alert, they aren't, unless you're at the level where suddenly everyone is the perfect blend of genuinely skilled and not an rear end in a top hat there's literally no difference in the average quality of games the MMR is going to give you. I've had comp games where my team came together like a well-oiled machine and we did beautifully, I've had comp games where nobody talked the entire time, comp games where people switched as needed and games where they didn't. The solo queue comp highlight for me so far has been an Ilios match where we got stomped the first two rounds only to somehow rally and win the next three in a row. The same day as that I played a game on Lijang where one of the enemy team dropped and we still for some reason could not win the ensuing 6v5 despite having permanent numerical advantage. Comp is just as full of idiots and weirdos as quickplay is, and you (the general you, myself included) might even be one of them.

Plus maybe I'm just unusually blessed but these days it seems like the number of quickplay games I get where people decide they want to hero stack are much rarer than the ones where everyone just sticks to 1HL anyway.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I've anecdotally seen that the kind of player who hits that Competitive Play button is more apt to want to have a conversation with an internet stranger about maybe, possibly winning the videogame maybe where in QP you're basically two pachinko machines bouncing off and past each other and then the round ends and sometimes you've won and sometimes you've lost. Comp still has uncommunicative groups and Hanzo slampickers, but generally speaking people are generally kinda sorta more willing to at least talk and let you into their thought process by having a conversation about videogames in general or hell maybe even Overwatch.

The season 1 comp ruleset was hot loving garbage though

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Donnerberg posted:

Competitive and quickplay comes down to which set of rules you prefer and if you think golden guns look pretty. The people who treat competitive like an esports junior league have built it up in their minds to be something that isn't represented in game.

I play comp because I like the larger set of rounds per cycle of matchmaking, and I think it's annoying when people drop out in the middle of games in quickplay. I'm not there to reach rank 100 or whatever.

In what magic candyland you play where people don't ragequit in comp? :psyduck:

Can I move there?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo is it ever vastly more annoying when someone quits in comp because at least in quickplay someone will backfill whereas in comp it's like oh okay, so the last 15 minutes was leading up to a wet fart, gotcha.

Also I may be the weird one here but I actually don't really like the larger set of rounds per match tbh. Like I don't hate KotH even though it often feels like I struggle more on it than I do payload maps, but going from best of three to best of five means that they often take a half hour for a single game, likewise having to back and forth poo poo like Hanamura or Anubis over and over becomes a chore. It doesn't feel more fulfilling to me, it feels tedious, especially when the matchmaker decides to throw me into three Anubis games in a row.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Laputanmachine posted:

In what magic candyland you play where people don't ragequit in comp? :psyduck:

Can I move there?

You know what I mean. It still happens, but it's less frequent and it restarts if people drop in staging. At least in EU. Maybe it's worse for other regions.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 17, 2016

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

It is really, really frustrating that some people can get event skins out of the first box they open, and I can open 20 of them and get nothing better than Mei's medal victory pose.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Solo queue won the first two rounds in Illios last night only for someone to quit twenty seconds into round 3. We lost that and tried to pull together at the start of round four, managing to just eek out a victory despite being 5v6.

It was fantastic but who leaves when there's like 2 minutes left and you're winning?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cirofren posted:

Solo queue won the first two rounds in Illios last night only for someone to quit twenty seconds into round 3. We lost that and tried to pull together at the start of round four, managing to just eek out a victory despite being 5v6.

It was fantastic but who leaves when there's like 2 minutes left and you're winning?

The game I had on Lijang where we got wrecked despite the other team being down a person? Same thing, they were winning and one of them dropped. I can only assume connection issues in a case like that.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Donnerberg posted:

You know what I mean. It still happens, but it's less frequent and it restarts if people drop in staging. At least in EU. Maybe it's worse for other regions.

I don't know what you mean. I'm EU as well and I get quitting babies pretty often, which is why I've mostly switched to quickplay. The season's almost over anyway, I clawed my way to low 60s which is enough for me and in quickplay whenever someone quits, there are immediate backfills so you're playing 6v6 practically all the time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Zokari posted:

It is really, really frustrating that some people can get event skins out of the first box they open, and I can open 20 of them and get nothing better than Mei's medal victory pose.

I finally managed to get Lucio's Selecao skin out of a Summer Games box, which is a million times better than the crummy ice hockey and not-deadmaus legendary skins Lucio already had. Really doubt I'll manage to get any of the others.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Bruceski posted:

I will confess to 6-Torbing Volskaya. It went a lot better than when some folks tried 6-Torbing Ilos against us. If they have a chance to get set up with covering bits of fire, it can be quite an annoying nut to crack.
I once joined a match that randomly decided to 6-Torb on Anubis. We got absolutely wrecked by the opposing team that went 6-Mei out of the gate. They just put walls up to block the turret fire all the way to the capture point, and froze anyone who got close. It was a massacre.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I got the Mercy red medic skin, which I like a lot, but I really want the Korea skin for D.Va and the Soviet red weightlifter costume for Zarya. The Japan skin for Genji is probably my favorite of his base-body skins, but I almost never play him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I've played against a QP stack of genjis and tracers convinced my team to stack Winston and demoralized them so hard they stopped. Instead quitting everytime things get hard try to beat it, you'll never learn your limits if you don't.