Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just wanted to chime in and say fuuuuuuuuuuuuhuuuuhuuuuuck DC for the poo poo they pulled with Prez's second half.

Which tears me up because I really want to buy Flintstones now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Flintstones is really good. I've never really cared for the property, but you take the writer of Prez, and you get solid gold. Did DC get a big editorial shake up? Because that is an inspired choice.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

Did DC get a big editorial shake up? Because that is an inspired choice.

The HB stuff is completely Lee and Didio's deal. Prez sold like poo poo and it's sad that they didn't just do right by propping it up till the end, but giving him another book to do his thing on that might have a better chance to sell, they must like what he does.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 17, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorry about your book that we did no promotion on. Would you like to write a garbage fire?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Would you like to write a garbage fire?

Flintstones has started pretty well.

Prez #1 28,309
Flintstones #1 43,996

We'll see how #2 goes. Prez got in trouble dropping over half of that right away.

e: I have no idea what lost all those people on Prez #1. Unless they were just blind buying the new #1s, what did they want from it?
I'd think the sort of audience who would try it in the first place would've stuck on.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 17, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The theory is that they were waiting to see what trade sales were like for Prez, right?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: I have no idea what lost all those people on Prez #1. Unless they were just blind buying the new #1s, what did they want from it?
I'd think the sort of audience who would try it in the first place would've stuck on.

I wanted to like it, but I didn't care for the satire. It almost felt too modern, like it was trying too hard to sell itself as a reflection of the 2010s. Can sci fi futures be DOA*?

*dated on arrival

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
How did justice league dark end up?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

How did justice league dark end up?

The Peter Milligan run is a mess with fairly cool ideas, much like most of Milligan's later work. Then Jeff Lemire shows up, and it gets pretty average, with some nice touches and an ambition he could never live up to, because it's Jeff Lemire writing a team book and that's the way these things go. By the time DeMatteis picks up the reins, I completely checked out, but the book can be described as "exceedingly workmanlike".

Still, it's got some nice Mikel Janin art, from before Nightwing, which is nice.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I actually found Milligan's the best part. I enjoyed the Justice League being trapped in a teeth tornado for an arc.

Supergirl Rebirth was pretty average, and there were some weird details like it being a 'few months' since she crashed on Earth, and the DEO fitting a Kryptonian Regeneration Matrix in a rocket they're blasting Kara off into the sun with, when that's exactly what PFP Superman couldn't find to bring the other Supes back to life.
Also the letterer uses really distracting S's

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 17, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Fumbled Shade hard, then dropped him, and I immediately stopped caring.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I actually found Milligan's the best part. I enjoyed the Justice League being trapped in a teeth tornado for an arc.

Yeah the one thing Milligan did super well was coming up with threats for which it wouldn't make sense to send the actual Justice League. The book made a fairly strong case as to why its existence was justified in a story sense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

I just wanted to chime in and say fuuuuuuuuuuuuhuuuuhuuuuuck DC for the poo poo they pulled with Prez's second half.

Which tears me up because I really want to buy Flintstones now.

If you didn't want it cancelled you should have been more people.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

If you didn't want it cancelled you should have been more people.

This works very well with your current avatar.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wait, there was a Star Trek/Green Lanterns crossover? Starring the Abrams Trek crew? Is it as poo poo as such an idea sounds?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think most found it pretty decent.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
The Abrahms-verse comics have actually been pretty good.

During the GL crossover, the Enterprise crew and Chang (from STVI!) all got power rings.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Toxxupation posted:

Wait, there was a Star Trek/Green Lanterns crossover? Starring the Abrams Trek crew? Is it as poo poo as such an idea sounds?

It's even getting a sequel, believe it or not.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Justice League - Getting better! The big bad's cool to watch gather power, Jessica and Barry are friends :allears: and the Superfamily is fun to watch interact with the JL especially Jonathan offering Batman a cookie.

Green Lanterns - Getting worse! Latest issue almost takes place in a vacuum. Just fighting reds and reiterating their basic profiles, again.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey - The preview pages had me worried about lots of dark interior art without room to shine, but the issue itself is fine.

I was looking forward to Supergirl, but based on the preview, she's still not allowed to just lead her own story and is beholden to receiving definition from everyone around her. Is that true? I've enjoyed Adventures of Supergirl for its relatively lighthearted, self-contained adventures and not getting bogged down in Kryptonian BS.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Justice League basically seems to be: everyone is lovely and useless and would all be dead right now without Superman. I've always been pretty meh on how heavily Trinity slanted JL has been in the New 52 and this is more of the same (on top of the first two issues being garbage). I dunno, probably my first drop of Rebirth now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Space Fish posted:

I was looking forward to Supergirl, but based on the preview, she's still not allowed to just lead her own story and is beholden to receiving definition from everyone around her. Is that true? I've enjoyed Adventures of Supergirl for its relatively lighthearted, self-contained adventures and not getting bogged down in Kryptonian BS.

It's very much a housekeeping issue that concerns itself more with establishing a new status quo for the character, by blending in as much of the show as they can fit. So she gets her powers back (Do I even want to know when and how she lost them?), the Danvers are her foster parents and she's super close with them even though she can't have known them for all that long, she starts to works for the DEO, but is an undercover high school student, etc. She also talks down a Kryptonian werewolf instead of punching it, so it's got that going for it.

But just like the show there's some hints that legacy Kryptonian BS is going to be at play.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I'm giving Nightwing one more issue to pull itself out of the dumpster fire. Even Green Lanterns is showing some potential down the road.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Do I even want to know when and how she lost them?

At the end of her last series she returned to Earth after going to some alien college, took up a civy job as a barista and started a relationship with a crippled boy. On the last page she got pricked by a pin and the thing ended going "am I becoming human?!"
Nobody used that till Rebirth started rolling along and they suddenly need a regularass Supergirl instead of that plot. The DEO power restoration thing started in that last Superman crossover.

Rhyno posted:

Her power loss was briefly brought up in the Last Days of Superman.

That's what I meant by "that last Superman crossover" which handwaved that plot point away setting up her Rebirth situation.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 17, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

At the end of her last series she returned to Earth after going to some alien college, took up a civy job as a barista and started a relationship with a crippled boy. On the last page she got pricked by a pin and the thing ended going "am I becoming human?!"
Nobody used that till Rebirth started rolling along and they suddenly need a regularass Supergirl instead of that plot. The DEO power restoration thing started in that last Superman crossover.

Her power loss was briefly brought up in the Last Days of Superman but it was mostly about her stepping up to the plate when he died.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 17, 2016

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I did actually laugh out loud when I read the latest Superman. Probably just because it caught me by surprise.

And then I felt bad about it when they made "that" line necessary.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I enjoyed the person in the Badass Panels thread not reading the paragraph of context, or the previous page where Lois finds the suit, or the "mom?" panel below that and assuming Damian became Superboy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well that's...a rather half-assed plot.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

XBenedict posted:

I'm giving Nightwing one more issue to pull itself out of the dumpster fire. Even Green Lanterns is showing some potential down the road.

I thought this week's issue was pretty enjoyable, what did you think was so bad about it?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

XBenedict posted:

I did actually laugh out loud when I read the latest Superman. Probably just because it caught me by surprise.

And then I felt bad about it when they made "that" line necessary.

I wonder if Tomasi will adress the fact that suit literally runs on the wearer's life.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I wonder if Tomasi will adress the fact that suit literally runs on the wearer's life.

I have no idea why they built the suit like that, or how (1) human life has enough energy to sustain a suit of ultra power armor that can hurt Darksied.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

What would 10 minutes in the suit do, anyway? Are we talking like 20 years? Are we going by something closer to Princess Bride machine rules?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Green Arrow #5 Oh thank God, Emiko isn't actually a traitor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I assume not because if it didn't kill Batman who used it much longer there's no reason it should kill Lois.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

I have no idea why they built the suit like that, or how (1) human life has enough energy to sustain a suit of ultra power armor that can hurt Darksied.

It's magic. Literally. It's magic. Don't think about it too hard.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A "mama bear" has a lot of lifeforce to drain.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Not even that. It's metaphor. All it takes is a single ordinary person's sacrifice to stop evil.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

Mazahs!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

is the suit a Daedric artifact or something, that's one hell of a drawback

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The origin of that suit is wonderful.

Forged in the sun by Superman! Held under bubbles by Aquaman!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Well, the Sun is hot! Aquaman cooled the armor off. :)

What is Flash doing? Lending Speed Force to it? (Can he still do that?)