Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
What do I do about a dog that was potty trained but suddenly doesn't want to go outside anymore? The dog in question is a Maltese. At least the dog only pees and poops in the bathroom tub. I have another dog that is perfectly fine with going outside.

I do have a rather large owl prowling around when I used to catch mice on traps, place it outside and watch the owl come down at night and grab it. Could it be harassing my small dogs at night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Don't know about the owl. But with housetraining regression, go back to basics. Treat your dog like a puppy. Use crates, gates, exercise pens, etc to control its access to your house. Provide regular potty breaks on leash so you can track pees & poos. Reward for proper elimination outside. For puppies, I recommend using hardcore management for a month. For an adult dog who has gotten into the habit of soiling the tub, it may take longer since you have some bad habits to overcome. Start a 30 day counter of managing your dog. If you slip up and your dog soils indoors on day 28, whoops, bad owner, reset the 30 day clock and start again.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
An owl killed both of my cousins dogs, I wouldn't encourage it to hang around if you have small dogs.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Might want to make sure it's not endangered before you do anything. The feds have little in the way of a sense of humor at the best of times, much less so in something like this.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Saw a small dog that had been splatted completely on the road today. :(
Not sure if I should call the SPCA or animal control?

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Warbird posted:

Might want to make sure it's not endangered before you do anything. The feds have little in the way of a sense of humor at the best of times, much less so in something like this.

you arent allowed to gently caress with any raptors or birds in the migratory bird treaty act regardless of whether or not they're endangered. but what i meant was maybe dont encourage it to hang around by feeding it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ausrotten posted:

you arent allowed to gently caress with any raptors or birds in the migratory bird treaty act regardless of whether or not they're endangered. but what i meant was maybe dont encourage it to hang around by feeding it.

sometimes you gotta save a wounded raptor though even if you have tiny fake dogges.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Is there a reason my dog is jumping up at my throat like she's trying to rip it out. It's not like a gentle let me jump up on you to lick your face, it's a full on lunge for the throat. Is she trying to play with me or did I accidentally get an attack dog.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Carmant posted:

Is there a reason my dog is jumping up at my throat like she's trying to rip it out. It's not like a gentle let me jump up on you to lick your face, it's a full on lunge for the throat. Is she trying to play with me or did I accidentally get an attack dog.

Try the deescalation word, "kill".

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

She was seriously acting like one of those attack dog videos, biting at the back of my knee and jumping up and biting at my arms and wriggling around and poo poo.. but not actually hard enough to break skin. I'm confused because I've never seen or had a dog who plays like this and it almost seems aggressive, but she's otherwise great with people. Its just sometimes when we're out walking, especially if we're out on a field with a lot of room, she'll go crazy to the point where it's a bit frightening. On the other hand maybe I'm being a huge pussy? I can't tell.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

If she's not breaking skin, that to me further indicates play behaviour. Just really, really inappropriate play behaviour. When she gets like that, redirect to a toy and play that way. (Ideally, redirect BEFORE she gets like that.) If she ignores the toy, play time is over, and a time out in a quiet room or crate or tether station may be required to help her chill out. Offer chews etc while she cools down.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i may have missed it, how old is the doggo?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
I'd rather take the owl over the Maltese, that sounds cool as gently caress.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Free at last, free at last. Fuckface is gone, free at last. (Also, a nice check for my damages)

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I want a cool rear end snap collar and leash for my dog. So much of the stuff on Amazon.ca is pretty boring. Anyone have a brand recommendation?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Any hot tips on leaving a 6 month old Aussie alone for a bit? Right now before I go to class I take her for a good walk to poop and pee which usually tires her out, but as I leave I can hear her whining a bit as I close the door and for a few minutes afterwards before she goes and lays down on my bed (I assume as that is where she was when I got home.) I'm investing in a bigger crate tomorrow as she has out grown the one she used when she was smaller. I'm just looking to make it easier on her if I have to leave for 3-4 hours to take care of school / work / gym etc.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

cougar cub posted:

I want a cool rear end snap collar and leash for my dog. So much of the stuff on Amazon.ca is pretty boring. Anyone have a brand recommendation?

Etsy has a poo poo ton of collars in every style you can imagine.

Collarmania.com is also a good source of cool-rear end collars.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Any hot tips on leaving a 6 month old Aussie alone for a bit? Right now before I go to class I take her for a good walk to poop and pee which usually tires her out, but as I leave I can hear her whining a bit as I close the door and for a few minutes afterwards before she goes and lays down on my bed (I assume as that is where she was when I got home.) I'm investing in a bigger crate tomorrow as she has out grown the one she used when she was smaller. I'm just looking to make it easier on her if I have to leave for 3-4 hours to take care of school / work / gym etc.

I really don't think a walk is going to tire her out.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 19, 2016

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

a kong frozen with PB in it is a great way to keep them occupied for a while. I'd be wary of leaving them with bones or bullysticks if you're not there to supervise. I was gonna say "unless the bone is way too big to swallow for their size", but then I had a bone chard break off and my puppy swallowed it and almost died so be wary. A crate is gonna be a good idea, also there's lots of games you can play that involve coming and going in varying, shorter bursts, that seem to work well for people(others can elaborate on this, I've never had an issue with it). Can you afford a dog walker or, more accurately, a dog jogger to come over at least on days when you're gonna be gone especially long? 3-4 hours isn't that bad though, so crate with a walk in the morning and a tasty treat will probably be enough for at least now.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
If it's the same 3-4 hours a day dogs get pretty used to routines so pretty soon she'll associative you leaving with "ok this is my few hours to chill in my crate" knowing you'll come back and do some fun stuff. As for stuff to do frozen kongs are great. I like to stuff mine with peanut butter and stuff a few biggish cookies in it too so they have a little harder puzzle to figure out.

The majority of people leave their dogs for 8-10 hours while they're at work so 3-4 isn't a big deal.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Our is typically on her own from 11-3 and occasions where I've come home for lunch, I have very clearly woken her up and she's like "WTF are you doing here...can't you see I'm sleeping?". Come 5pm, however, it's definitely go-time.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Any recommendations for a bed for the pooch? She's content to chill on the couch/bed/beanbag, but I'd prefer she had her own thing. She had one in the past, but I had to throw it out after it got washed too many time. I'm likely just going to pick one up from Ollie's, but if anyone has a recommendation I'd be happy to hear it.

Also, hot takes on cheap-ish dogfood. Go!

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
I like costco dog beds, ~$25 for a big bed isn't a bad price at all. Their nature's domain dog food's pretty decent too. if costco isn't an option, taste of the wild is a pretty good balance between price and quality

also grats on your freedom from fuckface :toot:

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

https://kuranda.com/

Great bed for dog. Can get them with and without a cover. Originally bought it for our last old dog but our new pup loves it as well.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
http://www.jaxandbones.com/

My dog likes hers. They come in nice-lookin fabrics.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So here's a weird thing I've never seen before.

My new dog is a big fan of dog beds, so we bought a few and put them around the house in strategic rooms. I put one in my bedroom, right at the foot of my bed, and she loved it when I brought it home. For a while she was all about that bed, she took naps there, she'd retreat there when we were playing, all good. Then one day she threw up in the bed, so I took it, washed it off, and put it through the washing machine and dryer -- and since then, the dog wants absolutely nothing to do with that bed. At all. She'll go to sleep on the ground, a foot away from the bed, and if I pick her up and put her in it she'll flop down to make me happy, and then immediately get up and walk out of the bed again. It's been over a month since I washed it, too, and I've made a point of storing some of her toys in the bed so that she'd associate the bed with good things and hopefully the smell would transfer, if it's a smell thing. But no dice. You guys got any ideas?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

To get rid of secret odors the dog can smell and you cannot, try an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. Others say white vinegar is good enough.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

SneakyFrog posted:

i may have missed it, how old is the doggo?

Anywhere from 1 to 2 probably not any older than that. She actually doesn't usually get like this at home, just when we're out and she gets worked up over other dogs/squirrels/birds/falling branches/wind

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Carmant posted:

Anywhere from 1 to 2 probably not any older than that. She actually doesn't usually get like this at home, just when we're out and she gets worked up over other dogs/squirrels/birds/falling branches/wind

yeah sound pretty normal, just double down on mouth training. My hippo dogge when she gets really excited and wants my attention take little nips at the back of my calves, not enough to hurt or anything just more like "HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I taught my dog to give my hand a lick when he wants attention which worked great until he started giving strangers drive-by licks on his walks

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
So I did a thing. Meet Mace!

He's 12 weeks old today and I think he's gonna be a hoss of a male.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Mourne posted:

So I did a thing. Meet Mace!

He's 12 weeks old today and I think he's gonna be a hoss of a male.

oh look at that. :kimchi:

gonna be a massive pupper

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
Mom was 95lbs and dad clocked in at a dainty 120.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

He's a cute little fellow for at least the next week. Then he's going to be a cute big fucker.

In other news, I ran into a neighbor that had just received a 8 week old little Fuckface. I didn't have the heart to warn her. Little bastard was cute though. It's nice having a quiet house and being able to take the beagle on hikes, but I worry she's not getting enough exercise without him to wrestle with her nonstop. She seems fairly low energy these days barring when I first get up, but I'm fairly sure she was like that before Fuckface showed up.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Carmant posted:

She was seriously acting like one of those attack dog videos, biting at the back of my knee and jumping up and biting at my arms and wriggling around and poo poo.. but not actually hard enough to break skin. I'm confused because I've never seen or had a dog who plays like this and it almost seems aggressive, but she's otherwise great with people. Its just sometimes when we're out walking, especially if we're out on a field with a lot of room, she'll go crazy to the point where it's a bit frightening. On the other hand maybe I'm being a huge pussy? I can't tell.

honestly it sounds like over-arousal especially since you said it happens outside where cool things are going on. Vex did this a l o t as a puppy and it was pretty alarming at first and very unfun. I was bruised to poo poo for the first ~4 months of his life and had to wear long sleeves all the time so people didn't give my husband dirty looks :smith:. What worked well for us was carrying his favorite tug toy in my pocket at all times and whipping it out when he started getting that psycho glint in his eyes. I also figured out what situations made his brain go into overdrive and preempted the crazy behavior with the toy. For him it was crossing streets, walking to the park, and seeing other dogs or small animals. It has the added bonus of eventually instilling exciting thing = turn to and engage with owner.

You don't want her to practice this behavior though so if you're too late and she starts landsharking on you, I personally would grab her by the collar, turn her away from you, and hold her body between your knees til she settles down. Don't be aggressive about it or anything, just calmly hold her there until she stops trying to use you as a tug toy.

You could probably do similar things with food but he's never given a poo poo about treats so I can't help you there

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 22, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ausrotten posted:

You don't want her to practice this behavior though so if you're too late and she starts landsharking on you, I personally would grab her by the collar, turn her away from you, and hold her body between your knees til she settles down. Don't be aggressive about it or anything, just calmly hold her there until she stops trying to use you as a tug toy.

this approach worked really well with the hyperpuppy for me, just like the lady said though be really calm about it and stuff.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
with a bit of practice you'll figure out where and how to grab the collar so that she can't get at your hands and arms and tbh its an invaluable skill to have. for most dogs, grabbing the collar so that it's snug and (GENTLY) pulling it up so that your hand is between and slightly its ears and your arm is running parallel to the spine is the best place

vex was such a shark that i eventually just got a collar with a handle. his harness had a handle on the back too so i'd just hold onto him like he was luggage until his brain finally kicked in again :lol: (its unlikely youll need to do this with your dog very often if at all, vex was a pretty psycho puppy)

Doctor Anatomy
Jan 24, 2016
I have two dogs, a 6 year old Pomeranian and a 2 year old Lab mix. We brought home an eight week old puppy yesterday. The Pomeranian now will not eat and is vomiting. She did not act like this when we adopted the lab. Should I be worried?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Doctor Anatomy posted:

I have two dogs, a 6 year old Pomeranian and a 2 year old Lab mix. We brought home an eight week old puppy yesterday. The Pomeranian now will not eat and is vomiting. She did not act like this when we adopted the lab. Should I be worried?

Your new puppy is probably really ugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Doctor Anatomy posted:

I don't know a ton about Poms, but I thought they could be a bit of a drama queen. She might be pissed that the puppy is here? If the vomiting continues for another day, maybe take her to the vet? My golden took almost 10 days to act right after I brought home my baby Berner.