Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Here's a nice interview about the state of the world/europe:
http://www.e-ir.info/2016/08/13/interview-mark-blyth/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

So the EU EFFECT research about firearms and forensics was published, you can read it here: http://www.coventry.ac.uk/Global/08%20New%20Research%20Section/FINAL%20EFFECT%20PROJECT%20REPORT.pdf

I dunno how good it is to illustrate trends or try to predict anything if the datarange you use is only one year.

And apparently they state that 6700 people die of gunshot wounds each year and 75% are self-inflicted. So the rest 1675 cases are either criminal incidents or accidents, they dont really make it clear. But to get to this number, they have listed 770 cases from Turkey(not EU), 22 from Macedonia(not EU), 13 from Montenegro(not EU) and 75 from Serbia(not EU). So almost half of the cases are not even from EU. What is the purpose of trying to affect EU gun policy with research that includes case that are decidedly not EU?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm pretty sure you're the only person in here who gives a poo poo about your Tough Guy Toys.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Nope there's at least two of us

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Youd think that people would be interested that EU pays for research data that is biased to support policy making whether its gun policy on refugee policy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

EU sucks poo poo, should be destroyed, news at 11.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is there some magical difference that makes gun wounds follow different rules of physics and physiology in the EU compared to out of the EU? I'm trying to get why statistics from countries outside the EU are necessarily invalid.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Is there some magical difference that makes gun wounds follow different rules of physics and physiology in the EU compared to out of the EU? I'm trying to get why statistics from countries outside the EU are necessarily invalid.

I would think crime statistics outside EU are not relevant when making policy inside EU.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

punakone posted:

I would think crime statistics outside EU are not relevant when making policy inside EU.

I must have missed that EU regulation that magically turns bullets into singing flowers once they enter into our borders.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I must have missed that EU regulation that magically turns bullets into singing flowers once they enter into our borders.

So you are saying murder rate inside France is somehow related to that inside say Turkey?

Could you elaborate the connection here for me?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

punakone posted:

So you are saying murder rate inside France is somehow related to that inside say Turkey?

Could you elaborate the connection here for me?

Related? No. You do comparisons between states using different policies and analyse the similarities and differences according to relevant criteria.

You remember in science how you have a control group?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
I'm not sure gunchat is better than burkinichat. Let's talk about the Common Agricultural Policy or something.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

blowfish posted:

I'm not sure gunchat is better than burkinichat. Let's talk about the Common Agricultural Policy or something.

It's badly implemented and France should stop trying to stymie reform. How it works so well for them but manages to just benefit the landed gentry in Britain I don't kn-- oh yeah Britain's a kleptocracy never mind I figured it out.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Related? No. You do comparisons between states using different policies and analyse the similarities and differences according to relevant criteria.

Of course, but why then would you lump said control group (outside EU countries) with the group (EU) you are studying and who will be affected by it?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

It is incredibly hard to make the comparisons because there are so many different things you need to adjust for before you can be sure your comparison is actually apples to apples. Almost everyone fucks it up, very badly. It's not like a control/test experiment at all, that should be very clear if you've done any work in this field.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Greece is trying, again, to get war reperations.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/211232/article/ekathimerini/news/tsipras-revives-greek-bid-to-seek-wartime-reparations-from-berlin

It looks like Tsipras is copying the Trump strategy of torching diplomatic reputations for internal gains again.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

punakone posted:

Of course, but why then would you lump said control group (outside EU countries) with the group (EU) you are studying and who will be affected by it?

You wouldn't of course, that comment didn't make any sense at all. Experiment design has little in common with the sorts of studies that try and compare country to country statistics.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

punakone posted:

So the EU EFFECT research about firearms and forensics was published, you can read it here: http://www.coventry.ac.uk/Global/08%20New%20Research%20Section/FINAL%20EFFECT%20PROJECT%20REPORT.pdf

I dunno how good it is to illustrate trends or try to predict anything if the datarange you use is only one year.

And apparently they state that 6700 people die of gunshot wounds each year and 75% are self-inflicted. So the rest 1675 cases are either criminal incidents or accidents, they dont really make it clear. But to get to this number, they have listed 770 cases from Turkey(not EU), 22 from Macedonia(not EU), 13 from Montenegro(not EU) and 75 from Serbia(not EU). So almost half of the cases are not even from EU. What is the purpose of trying to affect EU gun policy with research that includes case that are decidedly not EU?

The report focuses not only on the EU but also neighbouring and candidate countries, including for reasons involving cross-border trade in guns. It's explained in the beginning of the report.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

blowfish posted:

It's great, more money to farmers. gently caress capitalists (through reforms that help small farmers).

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Pesmerga posted:

The report focuses not only on the EU but also neighbouring and candidate countries, including for reasons involving cross-border trade in guns. It's explained in the beginning of the report.

Indeed, missed that while skimming, sorry. No mentions of cross-border trade though, just intelligence gathering. Would be interesting to see what kind of traffic there is from non-EU countries to EU countries regarding legal vs illegal firearms and what kind of systems are in place for police intelligence gathering regarding investigations with ballistic forensics.

And speaking of Turkey, Germany has outlined them as supporting terrorists http://www.tagesschau.de/inland/tuerkei-619.html lol

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
«Bathers have to show x% of skin to use this beach»

Finally someone is tackling the serious problems Europe is facing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

punakone posted:

It doesn't do that. Read the loving report yourself.

It certainly does mention those states in terms of gun deaths, because the report also investigates harmonising legislation between the EU and countries sharing borders with it. As was part of its scope (did you even look at what the name of the report is?).

Also it's really telling here

punakone posted:

And apparently they state that 6700 people die of gunshot wounds each year and 75% are self-inflicted. So the rest 1675 cases are either criminal incidents or accidents, they dont really make it clear

Hmmm

THE loving SOURCE posted:

Previously, Duquet and van Alstein (2015a) estimated that approximately 6,700 persons die each ar as a result of gunshot wounds within EU member states. However, approximately 75% of these eaths are self-inflicted; suggesting that 1,675 people are killed by wounds inflicted by omeone else using a firearm each year in EU member states, and which would constitute a form f gun crime. Approximately fifteen percent of firearms related deaths in EU member states were homicide, with the remaining deaths by firearms being either accidental, or of undetermined cause.

Truly, :iiam:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's great, more money to farmers. gently caress capitalists (through reforms that help small farmers).

It's a corporate subsidy that eats up nearly half the EU budget.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

What would you like to see happen then?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Problem is, at least here in the UK, it goes via open arid land, not on the amount of food you produce (or promise to produce). This means that a dude can literally have a field dedicated to tea parties and games of bowls but benefit from the CAP for tens if not hundreds of thousands a year.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MeLKoR posted:

It's a corporate subsidy that eats up nearly half the EU budget.
It's also protectionist in a manner that fucks over farmers in North Africa and the Levant, and had a non-trivial effect in the start of the Syrian Civil War by forcing bankrupt farmers into cities. You can't undo that by scrapping CAP, but it's still intrinsically a bad thing.

punakone posted:

quote:

Following the November Paris attacks, the EC proposed amendments to the 1991 Firearms Directive, including measures such as: a five year ceiling on firearms certificate life; medical tests for applicants for gun licenses; bringing more forms of firearms within the scope of the directive (such as collectors’ items and acoustic weapons); regulating blank-firing and replica weapons; tighter controls on deactivation including a ban on the ownership of deactivated category A firearms; tighter controls on dealers; and stricter rules around deactivation standards inter alia.
What did any of these have to do with the November Paris attacks? Did the terrorists use converted blank-firing and replica weapons, or are they just doing "something must be done, this is something", as has often been the case after such tragedies?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Less farmed land area in Europe so all that lip service to sustainability actually amounts to something.

Also small farmers tend to be regressive nativists who vote for Brexits and don't like foreigners except as tourists and stuff.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 17, 2016

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

blowfish posted:

Also small farmers tend to be regressive nativists who vote for Brexits and don't like foreigners except as tourists and stuff.
Isn't farming in the UK concentrated in Scotland, which voted Remain?

edit - Also, I hope it's okay to repost two questions I had which got lost in the burkini chat:

icantfindaname posted:

But yes, France would probably have been better off with less rigid and intolerant ideologies and more decentralization
How would lifting the ban on religious symbols in schools help stimulate the economy and reduce unemployment? Give me a cause-and-effect here.

Friendly Humour posted:

Go find out what happens to people accused of being Daesh on the refugee trail and you'll get some measure of what the refugees in general think of these fuckwits.
I'm not who you were responding to, but I tried and I couldn't. Do you have a source for that?

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

What did any of these have to do with the November Paris attacks?

Nothing directly, the European Commission happened to be working on an update to the guns directive already, and the work was nearly done by the time of the attacks, so they were published a few weeks after. They did point to the attacks as a reason to pass the new directive, but the preparation time for new proposals for legislation by the European Commission is normally measured in years, not weeks. The attacks were not the reason for the new rules. However:

Guavanaut posted:

Did the terrorists use converted blank-firing and replica weapons, or are they just doing "something must be done, this is something", as has often been the case after such tragedies?

Terrorists have used reactivated decommissioned weapons produced in Slovakia in some attacks; one of the things the directive does is set more stringent standards for decommissioning weapons:

quote:

European security officials said decommissioned guns purchased legally from the AFG store, owned by AFG Security Corp., have been transferred to safe houses in Western Europe, primarily Belgium, a known weapons-trading hub. Jihadists used weapons sold by AFG and reactivated in Belgium in a three-day spate of terror attacks in Paris in January, the officials said, as well as in an attack on a French high-speed train in August, foiled when the culprit was tackled by passengers after his gun misfired.

“The AK-47 type automatic gun used in the thwarted Thalys [train] attack came from the same provider as the guns used in January,” a French police officer close to the matter said. “The gunmen didn’t get the guns themselves directly in Slovakia, but from intermediaries in Belgium.”
In a recent interview from behind the counter at AFG, Frantisek Gajdos, the 24-year-old son of the store’s owner, said the business hadn’t broken any laws. “We sell these guns to many people, and some of them are foreigners,” he said. “But that’s legal.”

Slovakia’s laws governing decommissioned weapons have long been less restrictive than elsewhere in Europe. Until recently, these weapons were sold legally to anyone over 18 years old, no license required. Although it is illegal to restore them in Slovakia, doing so isn’t as difficult as it is with weapons bought in other European countries, according to gun experts and Slovak officials. Denmark decommissions weapons by sawing them in half; Italy fills the barrels with lead. Guns sold in Slovakia had their barrels perforated with a pin, a step gun experts said could be defeated by changing the barrel.

In July, six months after the first Paris attacks, Slovakia’s government tightened the laws on selling and reactivating decommissioned weapons, which experts say will make it more difficult, but not impossible, to restore such arms. Last week, the European Commission said it would tighten legislation to ensure deactivated guns couldn’t be easily restored.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Tightening laws regarding deactivated weapons is good imo even through it hosed over lots of people who now face the choice of destroying their already deactivated guns or paying to deactivate them again.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Pizdec posted:

Isn't farming in the UK concentrated in Scotland, which voted Remain?

There's also lots of rural areas in the rest of the UK, especially in sheepfuckerland Wales. Essentially all major cities voted remain while the countryside voted leave.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Terrorists have used reactivated decommissioned weapons produced in Slovakia in some attacks; one of the things the directive does is set more stringent standards for decommissioning weapons:
That's a case against (badly) deactivated weapons, but the rest seems to be using the terror attacks as an excuse to throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. The only terror attack you could commit by converting blank-firing and replica weapons is against your own fingers, I've never heard of an LRAD being used in an attack that isn't by a government sanctioned force, and collectors' items are usually overpriced and worthless for a spree attack.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The only terror attack you could commit by converting blank-firing and replica weapons is against your own fingers, I've never heard of an LRAD being used in an attack that isn't by a government sanctioned force, and collectors' items are usually overpriced and worthless for a spree attack.

You're probably right, but they weren't included in the directive as a result of the Paris attacks, because the Commission simply doesn't work that fast (the proposal was published two weeks after the attacks, and already had had a long public comment period). The linked article may have said that: "Following the November Paris attacks, the EC proposed amendments to the 1991 Firearms Directive,", but it's a classic post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

It doesn't do that. Read the loving report yourself.

It certainly does mention those states in terms of gun deaths, because the report also investigates harmonising legislation between the EU and countries sharing borders with it. As was part of its scope (did you even look at what the name of the report is?).

Also it's really telling here

Hmmm

Truly, :iiam:

What's a gun related death with undetermined cause?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Liberal_L33t posted:

Literally without exception, everywhere in the world that this kind of religious modesty becomes the norm, it has become mandatory. Why are Majorian and drilldo squirt et al. so adamant in telling Europeans they aren't allowed to push back or even vocally criticize this practice metastasizing into Europe?

Personally I suspect that theyre closet social conservatives who actually agree with the religious traditionalists to at least some degree in terms of what they want Society to look like in 20 years.

Oh yes, Drilldo squirt, notable BYOB poster is fully committed to a conservative Islamic fascist future. Every time I read his posts the first thing that comes to mind is Hitler. The second is Jihad. And no one wants Jihad Hitler.

You loving idiot.

I mean seriously, have you ever actually read his posts? "Conservative" isn't my first take.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

waitwhatno posted:

I suppose that would be cases where they haven't determined yet whether it was accidental or intentional. But you'd think that would be much lower when you're collecting data for a whole year instead of something like a report on gun deaths that occurred in the past 7 days.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

blowfish posted:

Less farmed land area in Europe so all that lip service to sustainability actually amounts to something.

More CAP it is then.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Wrong thread

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

waitwhatno posted:

fishmech posted:

I suppose that would be cases where they haven't determined yet whether it was accidental or intentional. But you'd think that would be much lower when you're collecting data for a whole year instead of something like a report on gun deaths that occurred in the past 7 days.

Yeah I'm imagining "is it suicide or homicide?" style uncertainty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pizdec posted:

I'm not who you were responding to, but I tried and I couldn't. Do you have a source for that?

Unfortunately this is purely personal anecdote told to me by two Syrians I met a half a year ago. They described to me an incident in Macedonia where some Iraqi teen was heard by someone talking on the phone about "something suspicious", after which a mob gathered, took his phone, decided that he was Daesh and proceeded to beat him to death with fists and stones. I got the feeling they were describing something that actually happened, but for understandable reasons it would have been a bit impossible to get them on record with that. They were incredulous about my suggestion to talk to the police or the press, so that was that. Sorry!

I'm a bit surprised there seems to be nothing on the net about this or other these kinds of violent incidents the guys told me were quite common on the trail. Or maybe they were just fooling me for the sake of it, who knows.