Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Coolguye posted:

you also forgot shieldbearers

just...literally everything to do with shield bearers is one massive gently caress you to the air raider's existence

Fencers exist to dashcancel and punch shield bearers to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

I once took out a shieldbearer by strapping multiple charges of remotely detonated explosives to my Air Raider's own SLD1 bike and gunning it through the shield screen. It's cathartic, but tends to leave you high and dry without a ride.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Is this also the thread for EDF 4.1 on steam?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

People had some questions about the skywires a while back and the trick is that you can hook enemies after the initial shot, as well as hook the same enemy more than once. Every time an enemy touches a segment it sticks to them and becomes two segments that can snag additional enemies.

Moving yourself is one of the most basic techniques to hook more enemies. Just aim towards the back of the crowd and sideroll in order to sweep the wires through the crowd. The more enemies you catch, the more their own milling around causes them to catch themselves and increase the rate of tangling.

The other big technique is to use another weapon to blast enemies or send them flying which sends the wire segments with them flying as well. Pinballing is your friend here since the dead enemies can hook more enemies as they go flying around. Teammates with shotguns and explosives are particularly handy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Michaellaneous posted:

Is this also the thread for EDF 4.1 on steam?

yes

Potato Salad posted:

Fencers exist to dashcancel and punch shield bearers to death.

but good loving luck if it's got close range support on Hardest

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Cool. I just got this yesterday, now I am kinda stuck with the giant walking fortress dog thing.

Somebody told me I should farm weapons, just wondering what's the best way to go about that and how to play with goons.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Michaellaneous posted:

Cool. I just got this yesterday, now I am kinda stuck with the giant walking fortress dog thing.

Somebody told me I should farm weapons, just wondering what's the best way to go about that and how to play with goons.

The first mission with the fortress, you can't damage it. Just stick with your crew.

After that, you'll want to take out the cannons before trying to attack the hatch, unless you've got a good sniping weapon.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Michaellaneous posted:

If that's the first time you encounter it, just run away from it and hit the smaller things.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The first mission with the fortress, you can't damage it. Just stick with your crew.

After that, you'll want to take out the cannons before trying to attack the hatch, unless you've got a good sniping weapon.

Oh. Because I destroyed the landing ships with my rocket launchers decently quicky, and I clearly did damage when hitting the open hatch.

The big bipedals are the problem.

In any case my friend suggested doing the first mission on Hard and I did it, getting a bunch of sick weapons.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

1337JiveTurkey posted:

People had some questions about the skywires a while back and the trick is that you can hook enemies after the initial shot, as well as hook the same enemy more than once. Every time an enemy touches a segment it sticks to them and becomes two segments that can snag additional enemies.

Moving yourself is one of the most basic techniques to hook more enemies. Just aim towards the back of the crowd and sideroll in order to sweep the wires through the crowd. The more enemies you catch, the more their own milling around causes them to catch themselves and increase the rate of tangling.

The other big technique is to use another weapon to blast enemies or send them flying which sends the wire segments with them flying as well. Pinballing is your friend here since the dead enemies can hook more enemies as they go flying around. Teammates with shotguns and explosives are particularly handy.

Conversely, the best way to dodge Spider strings at mid to long distance is to just stand still. They will almost always miss you or do negligible damage.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh. Because I destroyed the landing ships with my rocket launchers decently quicky, and I clearly did damage when hitting the open hatch.

The big bipedals are the problem.

In any case my friend suggested doing the first mission on Hard and I did it, getting a bunch of sick weapons.

Too bad those weapons will only matter on other Hard missions, or the very end of Normal. You won't be able to bring them otherwise, unless you're playing single player I guess.

You can skip the entirety of Normal and go straight to Hard if you like, but you will likely find yourself dying a lot due to lack of armor on mission 25 or so (give or take, depending on your general comfort with your chosen class). Alternately you can use cheat engine to cheat in armor and just say gently caress it to Normal.

As far as Hectors go, Rangers and Air Raiders want to handle them by staying far away (Rangers use rocket launchers, Air Raiders should ideally use an Epsilon Armored Railgun, but a Gigantus will work in a pinch), Wing Divers and Fencers will want to get close (Wing Divers should ambush them from a high place and go down their throats with the highest damage Rapier they can manage, Fencers should use a melee weapon and shield to get close and go absolutely insane). Don't be afraid to back off more if things get hairy, there should be plenty of first aid around to get healthy again.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 16, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Coolguye posted:

just...literally everything to do with shield bearers is one massive gently caress you to the air raider's existence
Maybe use the Big O?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Amusingly shields completely no sell BIG O, though most of the air raider's other tricks still work (Whale!) simply because they walk towards you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Coolguye posted:

Drive a tank right up under the barrier and blow them to hell.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Talking about class balance? My two cents is that every class is the indisputably best at one of four fairly crucial tasks, and are better or worse at the other three tasks depending on how much they dominated at their primary role. Air Raiders are kind of the exception because vehicle choice allows them to be dominant at one task or fairly good at any one of the other three, but in return they are unredeemable dogshit at the other roles they didn't specialize in.

The four tasks and who is the best at them are tanking the biggest entity on the field, distracting the biggest horde on the field, killing the bulk of a horde (long distance AoE), and killing the stragglers of the horde (close in fighting). The classes that are best at each of those are Fencer, Wing Diver, Air Raider, and Ranger respectively. I'd add killing the biggest entity on the field as a task but it's not fair to give Air Raider two core competencies; especially when actually killing the biggest critter isn't nearly as important as locking it down. You can just skip the rest of this post, as it's mostly based on watching pubbies play.

Fencers are also good at kiting, but are surprisingly bad at close in fighting, having few options for stunning a wave of insects. They can be babied like an Air Raider to do good at long distance AoE. They aren't as good at it but can switch to a different weapon set so don't need quite as much watching. Or they can be babied BY an Air Raider and be kings at it, but is it really them or is it the Air Raider?

Wing Divers are reasonable at dodging the biggest enemies, but they do need to hold aggro while a Fencer can protect a teammate. Their close-in weapons are really powerful, but they're always trading damage for the risk of future immobility and may find themselves low on energy at a crucial moment. Their long distance AoE eats up a lot of energy, so they're not actually as good at it as it might seem by the damage numbers. They have solid close in AoE at safe ranges, which unless flamethrowers are very good makes them the only class to have it.

Rangers are reliant on assault rifle stuns to survive extended kiting attempts. Their long distance AoE is the weakest of all classes by pure DPS, but it isn't that much weaker than Fencer/Wing Diver and it doesn't lower their mobility to have them out and reloading like it does the other two classes. They can do barely anything about the biggest enemies that other classes can't also do. Because, their master plan could be bouncing timed grenades off of buildings while remaining out of sight. Hypothetically, anyway. Special mention that if someone else kites and tanks for them they can amass a formidable blob of NPCs.

Air Raiders can run Gigantus tanks for ranged AoE and limited kiting. Naeglings for the do-or-die extreme ranged AoE only option. Vegaltas for a solid compromise between ranged AoE and close in fighting. (Fire Vegaltas are a trap, however.) Helicopters, APCs, and hypothetically bikes for kiting. Titans for stunning big enemies with the Requiem cannon. Balams for tanking. And hypothetically Proteus for enough extreme ranged AoE and missile spam for the group to clear out everything before it gets close. If you're playing with an Air Raider, do take note that they are so very, very much better at long distance AoE than you are for as long as their vehicle survives. Like... four times the alpha damage, double the burst damage, and four times the sustained damage as you better. Or they do your single target DPS as an AoE better. Purely based on their vehicle and not getting into the air raid call-ins that reload while the Air Raider is in their vehicle. And they pay for this with all of their foot weapons having a 10+ second reload and/or an AoE that will kill them in close quarters. Even their limpet guns that are more useful for expressing spite than killing insects have an AoE too small to hit multiple insects but large enough to make escaping a bite deadly.

gently caress Air Raiders, basically, because they're playing a different game than everyone else. You can baby them and they'll kill the hordes leaving only stragglers (which they are powerless against), or you can ignore them and they don't do poo poo. I mean, unless they decide to double everyone's damage. Or drop nearly unbreakable force fields to hide behind. Or basically any of the other ways they completely gently caress up the game. Like letting Fencers fire 100k damage 50m blast radius missiles every 11 seconds from mid-hardest on.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
This was my first time using a tempest

http://giant.gfycat.com/DearestHonorableFossa.webm

I didn't kill anything but at least it did a loop

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rangers have great long range aoe if you use a level appropriate Emerald missile. Quickly lock several bugs with a decent aoe radius and your reload is usually finished about the time the previous salvo lands. Good enough to instakill standard ants and spiders while still fast enough to chew up drones. Might not have the sheer reach of a rocket but it kills many waves in just a few quick salvos so w/e.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 17, 2016

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

TheBlandName posted:

gently caress Air Raiders, basically, because they're playing a different game than everyone else.

HolyKrap posted:

Confirmed.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's beautiful

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Nah it's fine, I had another tempest ready, took down a retiarius

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

HolyKrap posted:

My first time I almost lost track of it while being chased around. What is taking this missile so long that it has already done a few flips and curves?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Ranger is my comfort zone.

Every time I feel jealous of watching a wing diver mulch bugs with blenders and lightning, every time I wish I could be best friends with Whale, every time I wish I could stab a hector in the dick.

I get that craving for "Range, Draw distance" rocket launchers, and not dealing with the secondary mechanics like Energy, getting a hand cramp spamming dash cancels, or waiting for my next Epsilon to air drop because those only have 25 ammo.

Honestly my two wishlist items for Ranger would just be "gently caress, stop it with the long shotgun reloads/hosed slug range" 7 second long buffalo breaks my heart, and 90m range means most slug shotguns are barely useable. Maybe give them a third weapon slot to further tag them as the "Boring but versatile weapons" guy.

Perhaps give more of their sniper rifles ranges that actually meet 1k range, because a lot of my "gently caress bringing a sniper rifle to this particular mission" has been because of how wide open they are, while Rockets will nail Hectors, dropships, earth eaters, and retarius spiders from across the entire map no matter what.

And while I'm asking for the impossible. one more MLRA variant :v: It's a crime the best one tops out before level 50, as a late hard mode/early hardest drop. I'm sure that Emerald MK5 is nice, but it's not 20 lock ons nice. And only really usable in Inferno multiplayer due to the caps system.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 17, 2016

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

HolyKrap posted:

They're only tangentially related, but that reminds me of my first timing using a Lionic. I brought a pair and sighted both in right away. Satellite Blasters are controllable that way, surely the other laser targeted supports could work! *Somehow* as I was targeting flying drones at varied elevations my missiles managed to explode a ranger on the ground and bean a Wing Diver in flight (this happens shockingly often, just like hitting helicopters with a 150mm). Just like that half the team was knocked out because I was playing around to figure out usable support weapons for Earth Eater maps.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Air Raider is fun to metagame as a way of helping a multiplayer game full of struggling pubbies. Healing and buffing them while dropping extra vehicles for Rangers to pilot and you fall back can give you the warm fuzzies like nothing else. Especially if you're covertly using an infinite ammo cheat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rangers have some of the worst weapons in the game in the form of literally anything that can't be reloaded

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I really wish NPC Rangers could be told to use vehicles. Go on, little buddy. Balaam calls to you.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

I really wish NPC Rangers could be told to use vehicles. Go on, little buddy. Balaam calls to you.

Just start calling in motorbikes.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Captain Invictus posted:

Rangers have some of the worst weapons in the game in the form of literally anything that can't be reloaded

Some of those are incredible for one shot objectives, like the hive in the later levels.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, the first time you fight the queens, where the only way in is a tunnel full of assacid, the Ranger lasers are an absolute godsend.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dis astranagant posted:

It's an air raider deciding that the wing diver's taking too long to zap a nest with lightning and instead blows it up good and proper. Spider gibs everywhere.

This is pretty much my experience with any class thgat isn't also Air Raider

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Air Raider will forever be worth it for calling in that perfect bombing run that sends insect bodies and limbs flying everywhere.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Just bought this game on PC (the 4.1 or whatever game).

Do I need any of this DLC garbage?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

NT Plus posted:

No. I'm really bummed I bought all of it without looking.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

NT Plus posted:

From what ive been told they are all just low level weapons youll stop using midway through normal or something. Havent heard if the extra missions are worth it though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Extra missions are always worth it.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Just the extra missions then. Thanks goonsirs and goonporpoises.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

A Russian piece of poo poo with the worst Japanese accuracy rating I ever saw. I don't think any other weapon series warns you about its origin and it has to be Russian.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

A Russian piece of poo poo with the worst Japanese accuracy rating I ever saw. I don't think any other weapon series warns you about its origin and it has to be Russian.

It's accuracy is greatly improved from the EDF2 original, where it was a Z and would go in literally any direction once fired.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The upgraded version is reasonably accurate and extremely powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It is the best: it's literally a tesla coil. I've seriously used it in a couple missions as a switch because hey, a weapon that can potentially shoot behind you is just magical. :allears:

And yes, the Grom SS is the good version of the weapon, about as good as the Idunn-E or the Reflectron Laser D