Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

BiohazrD posted:

How the gently caress does Exchange not have DBL support? What do people use as a spam addon for exchange so it isn't complete loving garbage

They want you to pay $1 a month per user for EOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

air- posted:

The most common routes I've seen based on face to face networking are either devs transitioning into DevOps or sysadmins who can code.

Typically this results in a person who's proficient at neither role.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arsten posted:

The only time I was subjected to this, I was paired with a person who would not stop farting. In a closed room. In a 150-year-old building. Without ventilation.

"Team building" where you are forced to suffer for the company can go to hell. If you want to build a team without spending money, setup a goddamn pot luck.

Edit: Oh, and the lady in there was convinced that Canada was secretly the British wing of the Kremlin. :shrug: It was fun listening to her while trying not to pass out for two hours.

aaahahahahahaha that's just perfect

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CrazyLittle posted:

Typically this results in a person who's proficient at neither role.

How so?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

DevOps people: how do I get into that? Also, do most places really just use it as a buzzword without knowing what it means, or is that standard goon hyperbole?
You're asserting that there are "DevOps people" or that people "get into DevOps," so clearly the meaning has been diluted to the point of worthlessness

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fine. People with DevOps in their title and/or responsibilities: How do I get into a similar position since that seems to be how people get from being admins to being developers, which is what I actually want to do.

Is that better?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

That lady was....not perfect. Man, the crazy she would spew. Let's see.....

Bill Clinton was planting demon babies in innocent christian girls making them turn evil.
Al Gore was using wiccans to mind control....someone?
George Bush's name somehow added up to the mark of the beast (I think in Roman Numerals).
9/11 was the new face of satanism and it would constantly continue to happen because the pentagon is secretly a pentagram (gotta sacrifice buildings to the building gods, I guess)
AIDS was created by the government to infect the gays.
Motorcycle clubs were used to spread ebola into the pagan states by the Christian fundie right wingers.
The progressive agenda was to convert us all to polygamous mormonism ( :pervert: )
The conservative agenda was to elect Rush Limbaugh our dark master

Then you got vast conspiracies about other countries. The Canadian kremlin thing was during tortureteambuilding day. Then there was England being secretly ruled over by an immortal hitler and that's the only reason the allies won WW2. The Roman church was taken over by germanic forces over 1,000 years ago and the scripture was rewritten to allow women to vote (and it only took effect 900 years later! :v: )

Uh....I'm sure there's more I'll think of. She was special.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

We're not falling for your dismissive laughter now that we're on to you, Kremlin stooge!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Docjowles posted:

There does seem to be a 3rd edition coming out in a couple months that's updated for PS v5, fwiw.

https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Windows-PowerShell-Month-Lunches/dp/1617294160
The preview for PowerShell 5.1 is already out, so I'm afraid it's obsolete.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Happiness Commando posted:

This is pretty close to where I was when I gave up, except I used WMI to get all the shares and then foreach() looped against that list. (While driving I realized just a bit ago that I would have to use Get-ChildItem -recurse because of the special snowflake subdirectories.) The issue I am finding is that I can't (don't know how to) filter accesstostring so that I only end up with interesting domain\secgroup entries and not NT AUTHORITY or BUILTIN whatever permissions. I can't seem to get any of the conditional logic operators to work on it.

Also, because I have to recurse through 4 or 5 directory layers, in an instance where a root share has 10 standard-permissioned subdirectories each with 10 standard subdirectories and 1 special snowflake folder, I will either have to code for every special condition (how?) or manually trawl through all the duplicates

Thanks for the help :)

If you only want to go a few layers deep and not grab all the subdirectories, you can cudgel it together (added some variables for readability:

code:
$layer1 = \\server\share\*
$layer2 = \\server\share\*\*
$layer3 = \\server\share\*\*\*

Get-ChildItem $layer1,$layer2,$layer3 | Get-ACL | Select-Object path,owner,accesstostring,group | Export-CSV security.csv
Would get you the acl entries for the first 3 layers for instance.

I'd probably take the output into Excel to handle the rest there myself. Make it a table, use some filters to hide anything starting with "BUILTIN*", then setup a conditional highlight for accesstostring fields that don't match with what you expect. It's probably doable in a script of powershell, but it'd probably take a few lines of code at least to make the comparison between one folder and it's neighbors.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arsten posted:

Then you got vast conspiracies about other countries. The Canadian kremlin thing was during tortureteambuilding day.

flosofl posted:

We're not falling for your dismissive laughter now that we're on to you, Kremlin stooge!

*posts about healthcare and worker rights*

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Fine. People with DevOps in their title and/or responsibilities: How do I get into a similar position since that seems to be how people get from being admins to being developers, which is what I actually want to do.

Is that better?

Learn to code if you don't already know how to.
In case you don't, pick a language that is suited best for the type of work you'd like to do. Around here Java or .Net are always winners, but ymmv.

Apply for DevOps jobs which require heavy Ops knowledge. Improve coding on the job and switch to a full dev job.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The senior took me into a project, which had me just prepare a server and workstation with the requirments that the consultant asked for. Now i've been appointed the technical lead.
I feel I am horribly underqualified to lead a project. But I am somehow managing to hang on. I've contacted the consultants a week in advance to check if they need more information, if their login is working and if they miss something crucial. I've fulfilled the requirments of the consulant. So they can build the software. The connections are working as expected. Everybody is working now.
It wasn't difficult but I am not sure I am ready for this kind of responsibilty. I'm the newest IT person at this company. It seems so overwhelming.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The vast majority of people in every job everywhere are incompetent, so don't feel like if you can actually do the tasks you are set that it means you're being set up for a huge fall. I mean don't get complacent either, but the only way you pick up new stuff is by doing what you're not totally comfortable with. If you don't then you end up like a bloke on our helpdesk who is in his late 30s and has been answering phones to users for 16 years.

I kind of felt like I was a bit of a fraud and had lucked into way too much responsibility until I had to explain what a VLAN was to the head of networks for an investment company.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This is normal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

Take some deep breaths, you'll be fine.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Jeoh posted:

SharePoint Online with mapped drives :smug:

I literally told my former boss that it was Satan incarnate to even suggest such a thing, I think it was added to my pile of quotes that lead to my contract not being renewed.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My company is moving from a ancient version of SharePoint to a brand new version of SharePoint because it HAS to be better right???? (It still sucks).
They also wanted to use it as a place to store build iso's. :gonk:

Luckily I never have to do anything with SharePoint!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is that better?

We actually have a thread!

Unlike my colleague up a few posts, the languages to know in my case are python, bash, and golang for proper systems programming.
I've heard of windows-based devops shops, but everything I've worked with/am looking at is linux and linux derivatives.

Getting in the door, you want to know at least the following:
- Programming language of choice. Bash, Python, Go, or similar, if *Nix shop, I would assume at least Powershell for Windows guys.
- A working knowledge of how VCS systems work, Git seems to be the industry standard. Don't just know about this, actually know how to create a new branch, merge, etc, etc.
- Experience with a config management system, they each have their pros and cons: Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, etc. Each one is the least worst in a given scenario.
- Experience with a monitoring system, know why you need them (and it's not just alerting when a host is down).

Bonus points:
- You know how containers work/you know your way around docker
- Experience with whatever cloud provider (AWS, really is the 9000lb gorilla here)

Generally it also pays to actively be fiddling with similar work on the side. Contribute to an open source project, have a few projects up on github, double bonus points if they're devopsy stuff like "Wrote an RESTful api for an obscure hypervisor", something along those lines, and be fairly confident when interviewing. "I was a sysadmin automating all the things BEFORE it was popular :smug:" seems to get people pretty far.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

LochNessMonster posted:

Learn to code if you don't already know how to.
In case you don't, pick a language that is suited best for the type of work you'd like to do. Around here Java or .Net are always winners, but ymmv.

Apply for DevOps jobs which require heavy Ops knowledge. Improve coding on the job and switch to a full dev job.

I've got an AS with almost all of the classes offered in CS, just missing the C class that was available once every two years. Java and C++. While I was unemployed I was doing a unity game in C#, which seems almost identical to Java at the level I'm working at.

I just started automating a couple months ago, but this is the first job where I was allowed to use powershell. Maybe I'll try to learn Python again if any of our appliances run Unix. I've been automating everything where it's appropriate.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I was told in no uncertain terms to attend the teambuilding event by the head of HR. :negative:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

devmd01 posted:

I was told in no uncertain terms to attend the teambuilding event by the head of HR. :negative:

Lmao maybe you should be a better team player

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

devmd01 posted:

I can't come in today I'm sick *cough*

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Ive got poo poo to get done I dont have time for this bullshit

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Is the team building event outside of work hours? Is it not compensated?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
During work hours, soooo yeah I gotta show up

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

devmd01 posted:

During work hours, soooo yeah I gotta show up

Man, you're getting paid to not do real work, so just roll with it. Unless it's like the dude who got stuck with someone hotboxing them with farts for an hour it may even be fun or at least unobjectionable.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

NippleFloss posted:

Man, you're getting paid to not do real work, so just roll with it. Unless it's like the dude who got stuck with someone hotboxing them with farts for an hour it may even be fun or at least unobjectionable.

I'm a metric of terrible experiences! :v:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

NippleFloss posted:

On the one hand, yeah it might actually be a good teambuilding exercise that helps you get to know other employees. It's during work, so whatever might as well try to enjoy it.

On the other hand, witnessing first hand how other people at the company troubleshoot and problem solve may destroy your will to live.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It's gonna be the latter. We don't get to pick our team.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've got an AS with almost all of the classes offered in CS, just missing the C class that was available once every two years. Java and C++. While I was unemployed I was doing a unity game in C#, which seems almost identical to Java at the level I'm working at.

I just started automating a couple months ago, but this is the first job where I was allowed to use powershell. Maybe I'll try to learn Python again if any of our appliances run Unix. I've been automating everything where it's appropriate.

Python is a very good choice as well, like OWLS explained. His advice is a lot more detailed than mine. Automation and monitoring are indeed very important pillars in DevOps environments and if you can get some experience with that it will most certainly help.

mewse
May 2, 2006

You must attend this mandatory company outing but also we need coverage so keep your cell phone on you and I guess bring a laptop and spend 2/3rds of your day out of the room working on calls

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The only team building event I could ever stomach would be putting HR in front of a firing squad

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

flosofl posted:

This is normal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

Take some deep breaths, you'll be fine.

This and Duning-Krueger(it goes both directions). I've found the cure is knowing the 3 kinds of knowledge.

http://jangosteve.com/post/380926251/no-one-knows-what-theyre-doing

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Knowing what I don't know has probably been more useful for me than knowing what I do know.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Way to fulfill the IT stereotype of being socially awkward outcasts, IT thread.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Way to fulfill the IT stereotype of being socially awkward outcasts, IT thread.

gently caress team building events and gently caress you for suggesting people hate them because they're "socially awkward". I'm at work to work not gently caress off with coworkers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cisco's getting ready to RIF a bunch of people.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/17/sources-cisco-planning-15-percent-cost-reduction-this-month/

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I want to do some Python studying in my downtime, but OverTheWire wargames require putty for Windows machines. Is there anything similar that can be done without downloading anything? I don't know if an SSH session would even be allowed through our firewalls.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Wait for Microsoft to get around to supporting SSH or turn on Developer mode in Windows 10 and install the Linux subsystem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

gently caress team building events and gently caress you for suggesting people hate them because they're "socially awkward". I'm at work to work not gently caress off with coworkers.

You sound like a delight to be around in a team environment!