Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

as someone who grew up in kansas city :agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Bloody posted:

getting mad over w being pronounced west in a context where w means west is kind of weird

i'm not angry, i'm just expressing my existential disillusionment regarding how algorithms and mass communication erode local culture :unsmigghh:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

getting mad over w being pronounced west in a context where w means west is kind of weird

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

infernal machines posted:

toronto_transit.txt

first term fuckwad somehow lands on the TTC board, in the face of further budget cuts from the city suggests that maybe the problem with the transit agency with the highest farebox recovery ratio in north america is that the monthly passes are losing money

http://torontoist.com/2016/08/councillor-john-campbell-thinks-the-city-should-get-rid-of-metropass-discounts/

hilarity ensues

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/761645299467100162

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/761646493354778624

Good poo poo. I feel there are better ways to demonstrate statistics, like showing the margin or "profit". I can't find the study though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

very classy advertising campaign, yes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Are they suggesting he shove that phone up his rear end

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

bicyles are the only thign that should be on the road

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bomb posted:

unironically agreed

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

bomb posted:

and buses. check your disability and weather privileges please

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

if ur disabled just get a recumbent

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
my fav gmaps tts failure remains the glorious city of eee ayy you claire wisconsin.

i assume driving in france with gmaps is a riot.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Is your city's mass transit system so bad, it's a game to make it better?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bomb posted:

if ur disabled just get a recumbent

yeah but what about the physically disabled

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

light rail motherfucker!!!!!!!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

NAT-T Ice posted:

my fav gmaps tts failure remains the glorious city of eee ayy you claire wisconsin.

i assume driving in france with gmaps is a riot.

ewe claire

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

Is your city's mass transit system so bad, it's a game to make it better?

:confuoot:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bloody posted:

Systems should provide information to users in a form that is understandable both in terms of language and cultural context, hth.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Yes, much like when using the subway, websites don't really work on your phone.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

Yes, much like when using the subway, websites don't really work on your phone.

we have full LTE coverage in the subway in Chicago :confuoot:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red Square Bear posted:

Systems should provide information to users in a form that is understandable both in terms of language and cultural context, hth.
navigation saying "west" is more appropriate since people who don't live there are less likely to understand local cultural context and will need accurate, useful navigation more than locals. locals will just know it's "wrong" and move on with their lives.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

minivanmegafun posted:

we have full LTE coverage in the subway in Chicago :confuoot:

it's so fuckin easy to use

just a big loop w/ a line goin out in each cardinal direction

more cities should be burned down imho

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's so fuckin easy to use

just a big loop w/ a line goin out in each cardinal direction

more cities should be burned down imho

honestly the hub-and-spoke system kind of sucks if you're going anywhere that's not downtown

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

minivanmegafun posted:

honestly the hub-and-spoke system kind of sucks if you're going anywhere that's not downtown

Pretty much this. Portland (Tri-Met) works in this way and while they've done fairly well at allowing for mid-way transfers, there are still neighborhoods or areas I have to go all the way downtown to transfer back out to

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

navigation saying "west" is more appropriate since people who don't live there are less likely to understand local cultural context and will need accurate, useful navigation more than locals. locals will just know it's "wrong" and move on with their lives.

this is some quality fishmeching. it's got the backpedal that's disguised as "well this is the real issue", the scientific-sounding assertion that comes with no sourcing, and the little hint of paternalism. good work

also i just remembered that i actually tracked down the dallas/ft. worth thread a while back and asked the goons from there how they pronounce 35 E/W down there, because i was curious:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032538&pagenumber=65&perpage=40#post449485946

but really, you should post the settled science that mndot and txdot are clearly ignoring about "accurate" and "useful" naming of roads, and/or that google is relying on here. i mean clearly that is the reason the google lady says it that way right

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 17, 2016

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bloody posted:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ehh, i think you're the only one who thinks anyone in this discussion is mad

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is some quality fishmeching. it's got the backpedal that's disguised as "well this is the real issue", the scientific-sounding assertion that comes with no sourcing, and the little hint of paternalism. good work

also i just remembered that i actually tracked down the dallas/ft. worth thread a while back and asked the goons from there how they pronounce 35 E/W down there, because i was curious:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032538&pagenumber=65&perpage=40#post449485946

but really, you should post the settled science that mndot and txdot are clearly ignoring about "accurate" and "useful" naming of roads, and/or that google is relying on here. i mean clearly that is the reason the google lady says it that way right

wow y'all sound absolutely retarded then

esp since the letter W takes three times as long to say as WEST

lol

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lutha Mahtin posted:

please go on

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"e" stands for "east." "w" stands for "west." i'm not sure what more "science" you need. basically:

Bloody posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
also fyi when it's an interstate it's not up to the state DOT to decide anything since those are federal roads

and guess how the federal government decided that they're designated

hint: what's printed on the smaller signs is an abbreviation

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i've yet to see any citations for anything anyone has asserted as law or scientific evidence about this topic. however this is indeed one of the dumbest derails in any discussion in the history of humanity so i'll just leave it here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i've yet to see any citations for anything anyone has asserted as law or scientific evidence about this topic.
:goonsay:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's not really law - the decisions are made by the AASHTO committees who are responsible for the interstate numbering system (they've been phasing out directionally suffixed routes for years)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

here in chicago we always use "east/west/north/south" in our directions when speaking street names

we have a grid so everything has a direction based on its position relative to Madison (N or S) or State (E or W)

this results in weird things that get pronounced like:

"North West Water Street"
"North Northwest Highway"
"East South Shore Drive"
"East South Water Street"
"South Park Shore East"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
why would you say DOUBLE-U instead of whatever word that it's abbreviating in the first place

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i don't know why you would say "double-you" instead of "west" but saying an abbreviation instead of the full word is common. i still wouldn't expect a gps to say "penn av" like people here say instead of "pennsylvania avenue"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ArmZ posted:

light rail motherfucker!!!!!!!

at grade light rail are bus systems for racists

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

at grade light rail are bus systems for racists

that dont locally pollute, move 4 times as many people, are more reliable, generally have much more grade separation, and are much harder for lovely local politicians to get rid of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

when the h st streetcar opened, a local radio show was talking about it and a guy called in trying to explain why it was good (it's not) and the host finally called him out that he was trying to say that it will have fewer black people than the buses on the exact same route.

• Locked thread