Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zoness posted:

"My fun comes at the expense of that of my teammates" - a reasonable person

If those people won't have fun just because we don't have an optimal team comp then gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

flashman posted:

Of course they are. They are the people who think they are stuck in the 50s because their team mates won't pick the right heroes, and not because their aim sucks and they aren't killing the enemy team over and over.

Even a bad player will have a higher rank if he plays on consistently well thought out team compositions though. And considering it's a lot easier and quicker for people to stop doing dumb poo poo like playing Reinhardt on KOTH than it is to improve aim by 10% or develop higher level game sense, it's really not unreasonable. Picking the right tools for the job is low-hanging fruit for improving your game.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
look there is a wide gulf between optimal team comp and "i picked whatever i want gently caress you", let's not make a false dichotomy here.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zoness posted:

Well, I mean, this is a little bit unfair. The psychology of a competitive game is already based on mutual agreement to have fun at each other's expense, just across sides rather than within them. Solo queue undermines this because you don't know anything more about your allies than you do about your oppoenents.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if there is any new video footage from gamescom please link it thanks

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, I mean, this is a little bit unfair. The psychology of a competitive game is already based on mutual agreement to have fun at each other's expense, just across sides rather than within them. Solo queue undermines this because you don't know anything more about your allies than you do about your oppoenents.

Your game time must be miserable if you don't have any fun when you are losing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Andrast posted:

Your game time must be miserable if you don't have any fun when you are losing.

It's more that I really enjoy winning, a lot.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Losing can be fun when you're giving it all you've got. If you're just losing because "gently caress you a guy on reddit said offense Symmetra is really good," that kind of sucks the fun right out.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
season is over?? but my quest for 65...

oh wait it ends the 18th. one more day...

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 17, 2016

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

if there is any new video footage from gamescom please link it thanks

This one should be new afaik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUP5U-yPWj8

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

season is over?? but my quest for 65...

oh wait it ends the 18th. one more day...

it's over in like 7 hours i thought?

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748074764

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
My favorite QP game in forever, in which I spent the entire game trying to nanoboost either of our two Symmetras. It even garnered a Symmetra POTG where she stopped to put down a teleporter in the middle of the highlight, lmao.
https://www.twitch.tv/hungriterri/v/84066403?t=42m33s

Winstons
Nov 9, 2009

Zoness posted:

Isn't that how multiplayer games work? I must've been doing it wrong all these years.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

I want to play this game with other languages like this, just to hear all the voicework :allears:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

lucio and reinhardt have a higher skill ceiling than you seem to think

someone that's bad at reinhardt contributes basically nothing to the team and just dies over and over, for example

Can a bad player wring out those characters' maximum potential usefulness? Are those characters' skill ceilings really low? Of course not. But you don't need to continuous-wallride halfway across the map while dishing out 100% accuracy headshots and flawlessly speed-boost dodging every single shot that comes your way in order to contribute something to your team as Lucio.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Can a bad player wring out those characters' maximum potential usefulness? Are those characters' skill ceilings really low? Of course not. But you don't need to continuous-wallride halfway across the map while dishing out 100% accuracy headshots and flawlessly speed-boost dodging every single shot that comes your way in order to contribute something to your team as Lucio.

I've met some really bad Lucios though: Riding straight into the enemy team, staying in the outside lanes so no one gets healed, never boosting heals, leaving on speed boost when multiple people are hurting.

When we're talking about skill ceiling, a "good" Lucio does require some thought to contribute.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

season 2 patch is on PTR.

RIP Genji. The reign of Hanzo has begun.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20243886#patchnotes

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 17, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

they reverted Hanzo's bullshit hitboxes and buffed his fire speed by 30%

lol

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Steeltalon posted:

Guess we're back to not poking against Hanjos.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad all those Hanzos on my teams will occasionally kill something again.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

All of the changes in the notes are pretty questionable but the Hanzo buff is insanely stupid.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tfw your two favorite characters get buffed

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

RIP Genji

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Actually the worst change is the Mercy buffs because this game was 100% more fun when she was never picked.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Steeltalon posted:

All great changes

Except Hanzo

gently caress Hanzo

edit:
"When activating the "Needs healing" communication while targeting a teammate, Ana, Lúcio, Mercy, and Zenyatta will now tell allies to group up to receive healing. A marker will appear above the player's head, allowing teammates to locate the healer more quickly"

Yessssssssssss finally a button to spam to tell that tracer halfway across the map to gently caress off

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

they reverted Hanzo's bullshit hitboxes and buffed his fire speed by 30%

lol

well we're not going to get people to stop picking Hanzo so they might as well make him less useless

I don't get the Mercy and Mei changes, though. Do they just have absolutely no idea what to do with those two? It's like they vaguely understand that those two are bad, but they either don't understand why or are unwilling to give those two any meaningful buffs, so they just get weird poo poo that does nothing.

Speaking of Mei, guess who got a stealth nerf hidden under the bugfixes section?

quote:

Fixed a bug preventing Mei's Ice Wall from being destroyed by a moving payload

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Torb buff? Nope. Mei? Barely. Symmetra? Nope.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yessssssssssss finally a button to spam to tell that tracer halfway across the map to gently caress off

lol that tracer is never in line of sight, stop trolling the thread homie lmao

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

fadam posted:

Actually the worst change is the Mercy buffs because this game was 100% more fun when she was never picked.

Actually the Hanzo changes are the worst for this exact same reason.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

well we're not going to get people to stop picking Hanzo so they might as well make him less useless

I don't get the Mercy and Mei changes, though. Do they just have absolutely no idea what to do with those two? It's like they vaguely understand that those two are bad, but they either don't understand why or are unwilling to give those two any meaningful buffs, so they just get weird poo poo that does nothing.

Speaking of Mei, guess who got a stealth nerf hidden under the bugfixes section?

I have a sneaking suspicion Mercy will get picked competitively again. A 20% increase to healing throughput almost makes up for the earlier nerf they gave to her ult cost and the good healers received not insignificant nerfs.

I agree tho I wish they would just trash her kit and make her more active and fun to play. Right now she's easily the most boring hero in the game (at least Symmetra has the meme beam) and she attracts the worst players.

Papercut posted:

Actually the Hanzo changes are the worst for this exact same reason.

A fair point.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Torb buff? Nope. Mei? Barely. Symmetra? Nope.

Torb is fine, the Mei ult is loving Huge, Symmetra's kit is far too gimmicky and limited for her to ever be used on anything more than the first point of any map.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

They literally said in a video interview that they don't want Mei to ever be viable because it would be too frustrating for bad players, although maybe she could be allowed to be a little better.

the state of game design in TYOOL 2016

e: The Mercy stuff is different, she was god-tier at one point, and she'll probably be modestly good after getting her healing buffed -- although it sounds like her healing throughput is going to be greater than Ana's, which is funny because the one thing Ana had going for her besides her ult was that if you had perfect aim she could out-throughput Mercy.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 17, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fadam posted:

I agree tho I wish they would just trash her kit and make her more active and fun to play. Right now she's easily the most boring hero in the game (at least Symmetra has the meme beam) and she attracts the worst players.

I personally find Lucio far more boring to play than Mercy.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

They probably could've gone with one or the other for those Hanjo buffs.

Why does Genji have two sections for "dash" and "swift strike" both of those sound like they're describing his shift.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hanamura point A is just... the worst. God. I can't believe people complain about point B. I'd be okay with never seeing Hanamura ever again

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'm having a really really really good time lately slampicking Symmetra on maps where a first-point defense is plausible and chalking up POTG as often as not as I chainsaw through a bunch of folks dumb enough to ignore the ADAD'ing bunnyhopping waif, though a lot of that is fueled by Rein and Genji forgetting that Symmetra does not give a single gently caress about their nonsense.

Regardless, I feel as if you're bored as Symmetra in the situations where Symmetra brings usefulness to the team, the problem is between your ears.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Willie Tomg posted:

lol that tracer is never in line of sight, stop trolling the thread homie lmao

It sounds like you just need line of sight to one teammate to :siren: your entire team.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The way you make playing Mercy fun is to use your pistol more than you probably should and tag all your kills by putting the halo spray above their head.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think just making the Hanzo arrow hit scan or at least really fast when fully charged is fine. Bringing back the logbox is a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Hanamura point A is just... the worst. God. I can't believe people complain about point B. I'd be okay with never seeing Hanamura ever again

They're both miserable but point B can potentially last a lot longer. On point A, whether you're winning or losing, it's usually over within five minutes. If you get an early cap on A, point B can last twice as long