Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oh thats not even counting irreplacable losses. I lost Burma (in large part due to the biggest battle of the campaign going 9-0) and Wake, but did make progress with OperationCascade in the Solomons, at the cost of most of my air force in a overaggressive attack. Then I tried to bring my fleet in for air cover and it got obliterated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm kind of getting the impression that Falling Sky is not as good a solo experience as the modern COINs? Maybe that's premature, but I do feel frustrated that I always end up beating up some faction but then a third party wins.

This is the reason I find Falling Sky to be the most satisfying solo COIN so far! The bots really feel like they're all trying to win, not just beat the player. The only one that doesn't seem very smart is Arverni, because they can easily get stuck in a rally-raid loop if Aedui keep suborning. If Vercingetorix doesn't march to a solid central position, Arverni might not even perform special actions very often.

Ithle01 posted:

I have to agree that FS is better balanced around solo play for the Romans than for the others.
I find a lot of solo FS comes down to finding the right faction to 'synchronize' with.

Yep, if you let Arverni keep Aedui in check while you focus on Belgae and the Germans, you might find your supply line unexpectedly cut off. But if you do too much fighting for Aedui, they can steal the game, because subduing allies lowers their victory threshold. But you need to keep beating down Belgae, because they can recover and hit their victory threshold quite easily.

I feel like solo Falling Sky is more complex than the solvable puzzle that is Cuba Libre and more balanced than Fire in the Lake.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Hey, if I already own Yanks and Paratrooper (and every other ASL module published to date), is there any reason for me to get the new Yanks?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

SlyFrog posted:

Hey, if I already own Yanks and Paratrooper (and every other ASL module published to date), is there any reason for me to get the new Yanks?

Nah. Better counters/printing, newer style cardstock maps, and there's a bunch of scenarios from annuals/journals/The General. Other than that there's no "new" content.

edit -- on that same note, the guy who came to hang out and saw my ASL stuff... he just texted me a picture of himself reading through ASLSK tutorials. Is this the same feeling of pride that parents get?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 16, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SlyFrog posted:

Not really. They added a few counters to round out some stuff (T-100, SMK) and some SS (blue) counters and they only have updated scenarios. Only reason to get the new Yanks is if youre missing them altogether, want the updated scenarios, or want the Chapter H stuff.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
As far as ASL dependencies go, looking at that chart, you need to have Beyond Valor before getting Yanks? As in, just having Paratrooper isn't enough to get something on level III.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Finster Dexter posted:

As far as ASL dependencies go, looking at that chart, you need to have Beyond Valor before getting Yanks? As in, just having Paratrooper isn't enough to get something on level III.

Correct. Paratrooper doesn't have any tanks in it, for example. And... most of the Yanks scenarios seem to have German tanks.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Nah. Better counters/printing, newer style cardstock maps, and there's a bunch of scenarios from annuals/journals/The General. Other than that there's no "new" content.

Yeah, I literally have 1-52 of the old hardbound maps, as well as all 52+ of the new soft cardstock maps. Because I'm a big dummy, and buy poo poo for hundreds (well, add it all up and probably thousands) of dollars that I don't play.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

SlyFrog posted:

Yeah, I literally have 1-52 of the old hardbound maps, as well as all 52+ of the new soft cardstock maps. Because I'm a big dummy, and buy poo poo for hundreds (well, add it all up and probably thousands) of dollars that I don't play.

Wait, you can PLAY ASL?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Wait, you can PLAY ASL?

It's actually quite creepy - ASL is like a snowball - once you own pretty much everything official for something that big, you start to fret not buying anything new that comes out, because if you ever do want it, it will be out of print and cost $1,000. So instead, you just fork over $150 for it now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I sold For King And Country to someone for $60 while it was still in print (and cost around $80 new). Now you can't find it for under $250 or so.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I sold For King And Country to someone for $60 while it was still in print (and cost around $80 new). Now you can't find it for under $250 or so.

I'm actually trying to remember if I bought for King and Country, or if I just relied on the fact that I had the underlying modules that it reprinted. I know I bought Rising Sun, even though I had Gung Ho and Code of Bushido.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right place, but there's a Bundle of Holding on for a bunch of wargame titles from Osprey Wargames and I'm very much a novice to the hobby, so I was wondering how people felt in general about OW products and if the bundle here seems like a sound investment for somebody interested in getting into wargaming? Appreciate it, thanks!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

KirbyJ posted:

I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right place, but there's a Bundle of Holding on for a bunch of wargame titles from Osprey Wargames and I'm very much a novice to the hobby, so I was wondering how people felt in general about OW products and if the bundle here seems like a sound investment for somebody interested in getting into wargaming? Appreciate it, thanks!

This thread is for boardgame wargames, you're looking for one of the miniatures threads, probably the historical one.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Apologies! I thought this was just a very, very general wargames thread, which was useful since the Osprey stuff shown is all over the place genre wise.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It's no problem. The title could be a little clearer.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

SlyFrog posted:

I'm actually trying to remember if I bought for King and Country, or if I just relied on the fact that I had the underlying modules that it reprinted. I know I bought Rising Sun, even though I had Gung Ho and Code of Bushido.

So can I have your Gung Ho and Code of Bushido

I'll pay like $20 each

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CaptainRightful posted:

This is the reason I find Falling Sky to be the most satisfying solo COIN so far! The bots really feel like they're all trying to win, not just beat the player. The only one that doesn't seem very smart is Arverni, because they can easily get stuck in a rally-raid loop if Aedui keep suborning. If Vercingetorix doesn't march to a solid central position, Arverni might not even perform special actions very often.

Yep, if you let Arverni keep Aedui in check while you focus on Belgae and the Germans, you might find your supply line unexpectedly cut off. But if you do too much fighting for Aedui, they can steal the game, because subduing allies lowers their victory threshold. But you need to keep beating down Belgae, because they can recover and hit their victory threshold quite easily.

I feel like solo Falling Sky is more complex than the solvable puzzle that is Cuba Libre and more balanced than Fire in the Lake.

I haven't seen the Arverni get stuck in a loop or anything that bad, but it sure is hard to get them to engage in a pitched battle. I do appreciate that the bots will take action against each other at times -- maybe it's just harder to predict than in the other COINs I've played.

I just soloed the 52 BC scenario as Romans and won handily in the 2nd winter thanks to Optimates, which Arverni optimistically took even though I had all but one legion on the map. During the second annual campaign Arverni mostly took events and did nothing with the ~30 warbands they had massed in Bituriges, which was pretty unfortunate for them because I was able to remove 7 or so Arverni allies during the same year. Probably the 53 BC scenario is more challenging because the Belgae are much stronger at the outset but this was a decent challenge all the same.

I don't feel that CL is really "solvable" because of the chaos of random events, but it is the least interesting solo game of the 3 you mentioned. Oerjan has mentioned that CL will get updated bots at some point which should be cool.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 17, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Interesting that nobody is talking much about the best COIN game: A Distant Plain.

My hard copy that I picked up for $40 came in the mail yesterday. It's been my favorite online-playing experience out of all the COIN games so far though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

ADP is the best COIN by far.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

My only ADP experience so far was rubbish :(. Think we were all a bit tired and we were playing with one new person to the COIN system which is always a bit of a minefield. On top of that we only really had time to do a sort of bastardised version of the medium scenario, so we didn't really get the long term experience. Hoping to get it back out though when we have the 3-5 hours to play the long scenario though sometime, everyone claims it's the best so I kinda want to find out why :D

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm probably going to play through the long scenario solo tonight. Should be fun, I'm excited.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
ASL.jpg

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

:wow:

Well, I was going to spend some money on getting Beyond Valor, but was tempted away by Last Blitzkreig. It seems a little less intimidating than OCS, plus I can get it for <$100. I'm annoyed that I can't seem to find a digital copy of the game rules, only the BCS rules, but oh well.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

I don't know why anyone would want to play something like that.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Is it worrying that I can basically completely understand what's going on in that picture? :ohdear:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SlyFrog posted:

I don't know why anyone would want to play something like that.

Because its loving amazing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Finster Dexter posted:

:wow:

Well, I was going to spend some money on getting Beyond Valor, but was tempted away by Last Blitzkreig. It seems a little less intimidating than OCS, plus I can get it for <$100. I'm annoyed that I can't seem to find a digital copy of the game rules, only the BCS rules, but oh well.

http://www.gamersarchive.net/thegamers/archive/LB-BCS.html

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah basically this

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It really is. Lots of stories being told in those little piles of counters...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

he1ixx posted:

Yeah, like how some random Russian gun crew got stuck on an American landing craft in the Tarawa atoll.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah, like how some random Russian gun crew got stuck on an American landing craft in the Tarawa atoll.

They look like they're playing Uno on their icon. Maybe they're Siberian "consultants"? Hard to say really.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

INinja132 posted:

Is it worrying that I can basically completely understand what's going on in that picture? :ohdear:

I regret to inform you that you may have Early Onset Grognitis

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

holy crap I googled all over for that. tyvm

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

he1ixx posted:

I wouldn't know, given I can only see roughly 1/15 of the story for each counter stack.

Though I know it is better if you are actually playing the game and therefore have a better idea what is in the stack, that level of counter density does actually become a turn-off for me. Particularly in a physical game (it's a bit easier to deal with in VASL).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
It seems to me that with the kabillion rules and counters, ASL is a perfect candidate for a proper PC treatment.

Yeah, I know I should turn in my Grog Card for speaking such heresy, but at some point the game no longer becomes the fun stuff like "How do I best assault that building?" and more about wrangling with the rules. I guess maybe that's part of the appeal, though, which is why ASL doesn't really speak to me as a gamer because I feel rules should be a means to an end, and not the end itself.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I...uh...I don't know a lot about ASL (played it maybe three times), but I'm seeing an awful lot of burning vehicles on that map. That's bad, right?

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

From what I can work out the Americans are taking staggering casualties (every white vehicle counter is destroyed as well), but equally all their stacks are huge so they have lots of reinforcements coming in.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The vast number of rules are generally easy to remember to be honest. Especially so when you are missing certain components like artillery.

And burning vehicles are great unless youre the owner of them :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

How much game and fun does the ASL Starter Kit #1 provide?

It's cheap so getting it seems very tempting...