Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Dog tags are retarded and I was so happy when someone showed me the looping around your belt buckle and sticking in your pocket trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I didn't mind wearing them around my neck in garrison. A lot of times I would forget, especially when I got put into a leadership position and I was the one doing the inspections. But I didn't really mind playing the gently caress gently caress games about dog tags.

On deployment though? Wearing that poo poo around my neck was retarded and served no purpose but to make my gear that much more uncomfortable.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Runs with dog tags annoyed me. Cling cling cling cling cling cling.

For some stupid reason my PSG didn't want us wearing silencers on them.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

here's me IRL with my dog tags N4I I hope you don't mind ^__^

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
well i can tell by the facial hair you're natl guard alright ahahahaha hoo boy

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know why you guys are so mad. I just got back from Europe and i woke up every morning laughing because I was actually being paid to pretty much party with our "international partners" every day.

And this is my last year in the Army.

Europe Army = the only way to Army. We need to make the Cold War great again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

Bring back BDU patterns.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nobody I met over there had a stick up their rear end. NCOs, officers, civilians, contractors. It was incredible. I felt like I was in some alternate timeline where the Army wasn't full of miserable assholes.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Where every General has a squad of hot lady soldiers with him.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I really should have stayed in Germany instead of getting choice of duty station to go home to Washington. Germany was so much loving better than Ft. Lewis.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Germany is the only duty station I hear good things about consistently.

Even Hawaii, which should be a drat tropical vacation, seems like it sucks when I talk to people who have been there. It ranges from a few people saying Hawaii is nice to a lot of people saying "people kill themselves a lot here."

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
All I know about Hawaii is that the traffic is bad enough to ruin everything else about being stationed there.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Vasudus posted:

All I know about Hawaii is that the traffic is bad enough to ruin everything else about being stationed there.

And the Navy loses more sailors there to motorcycle accidents than they have to anything since the IJN

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vasudus posted:

I lived in Waikiki. I was 12.5 miles from the piers at Pearl Harbor. In the mornings I could get to work in 15-20 minutes because no one is driving at 5 in the morning. Going home ranged from 45 minutes to 2.5 hours (valentines day 2011 EVERYONE wanted to go to waikiki for dinner apparently). The traffic going towards Pearl City and any of the army bases was typically worse. If you live near where you work, traffic isn't too bad. A lot of army people in hawaii I knew lived in the Kunia area to help alleviate traffic, but living in a nice place like Kailua or Kaneohe is reasonable enough because the H3 is the fastest freeway on the island.

Basically if you're stationed at any army facility living in downtown or waikiki is an exercise in frustration. Living elsewhere isn't near as bad, but it all depends on what you're looking for.

Also the schoffield barracks PX had SGTs in uniform outside the door ensuring both dependents and active people were following the appropriate civilian dress code before they could shop when I left the island.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

About to do a little trip to VA for some training. We have half a dozen rentals, 50 soldiers, and 50 rifles, machine guns, pistols, and etc. Unit isn't supplying cases to transport it with, we have no armory to store our weapons when we get up there, so the plan is to have an unarmed fire team guard the weapons that will be all loaded into one of the rentals outside our hotel.

I can't wait to get robbed at gun point for all those weapons.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
this is a great money making opportunity if you play your cards right!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Call the local police station. I've had luck storing poo poo in their vaults when nothing else was available. Plus they're happy about not having unsecured NFA poo poo out and about.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Call the local police station. I've had luck storing poo poo in their vaults when nothing else was available. Plus they're happy about not having unsecured NFA poo poo out and about.

seriously 100% do this

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kaliber posted:

About to do a little trip to VA for some training. We have half a dozen rentals, 50 soldiers, and 50 rifles, machine guns, pistols, and etc. Unit isn't supplying cases to transport it with, we have no armory to store our weapons when we get up there, so the plan is to have an unarmed fire team guard the weapons that will be all loaded into one of the rentals outside our hotel.

I can't wait to get robbed at gun point for all those weapons.

You're probably supposed to have an armed guard by regulation. Just had this fight with a one star.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
in three days the newspaper will read "LOCAL POLICE POST PICTURES ON INSTAGRAM WITH TOP SECRET MILITARY EQUIPMENT" even though it'll be your standard line unit NODs or some poo poo.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Whenever the PA guard traveled with weapons like that, I always saw an armed guard.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Had a mandatory resiliency seminar. While the trainer is talking about the faulty thinking trap of everything always being someone else's fault, a company commander speaks up to say all his superiors are like this and always screwing up. And that all his subordinates are this way and screening it up and he's forced to treat them all like children.

My irony meter. It's broken.

At least he got called out hard by a 1SG who essentially said if he's too mad about not everyone recognizing he's the bestest officer, maybe he should quit.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
US TROOPS CANT EVEN PROTECT THEIR OWN WEAPONS AFTER BUDGET CUT BACKS

THANKS OBAMA

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

seriously 100% do this

Echoing N4B. Seriously do this. If locals won't do it, see if a county sheriff or state police barracks would store them.

spacetoaster posted:

You're probably supposed to have an armed guard by regulation. Just had this fight with a one star.

I think this falls under AR 190-11

JFC even my shittastic med labs clusterfuck of a reserve unit would have armed guards in place. Usually my dumbass and a one more.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Where can I find the regs?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kaliber posted:

Where can I find the regs?

What Lannister said. Physical Security.

If it's not in a straight up arms room vault with functioning alarm you're going to need an armed guard.

You can thank the extremists from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. They were stealing guns kept in plywood sheds and stuff.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Syrian Lannister posted:

Echoing N4B. Seriously do this. If locals won't do it, see if a county sheriff or state police barracks would store them.

I think this falls under AR 190-11

JFC even my shittastic med labs clusterfuck of a reserve unit would have armed guards in place. Usually my dumbass and a one more.

Can confirm my shittastic reserve unit uses armed guards when transporting military firearms.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
there are probably rounds in the armory/arms room w/e for this specific purpose.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Doubt it unless they've changed things. When I was running my arms room, AR190-11 only allowed us to keep ammunition in the arms room overnight. Couldn't be for any longer period of time, or for any kind of contingencies like that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's probably a built in contingency in anticipation of someone in the arms room getting bored.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah no rounds in the arms room or safe. Everything was pretty tightly controlled to/from the ASP at FTIG.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
ok well you probably at least have one kid with like 4 knives on him at all times and another weirdo who keeps a hollow point 5.56 round "just in case" now is their chance to shine

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
oh weird. the armorer always had a loaded m9 and a hundred or so rounds of 5.56 in the actual armory. the ammo was on the serialized equipment inventory. i wasnt in the army but it seems weird that there would be a significant difference between branches over something like weapons security.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
In Korea we had ammo in the arms room to fight Best Korea with. Can't wait on the ASP if North Korea decided to get zany.

"Hey Kim Jong we are still waiting on the ASP can you just give us a couple hours?"

And then after whatever invasion North Korea does we would probably have I police up brass.

Losing 7.62 ammo is what sent me over the edge in Korea because our rooms got ransacked by leadership looking for it. That's the night I threatened to kill my entire company.

Turns out the arms room had it all along, the fuckers just didn't count correctly. :suicide:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I had to inventory our little cache in korea in case of an invasion or whatever. it was probably less than 3000 rds of various caliber and a box of smoke grenades and some cases of MREs. Basically the army saying "eh good luck guys"

it was in its own little bunker, not the arms room though. I don't think I've ever seen live ammo in an arms room for any appreciable amount of time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We didn't have any ammo in our arms room in Korea. But we did have an ASP in the form of Castle North about a mile up the road, so maybe that was it.

The idea of an arms room in Korea having ammo terrifies me. You're putting live ammo AND weapons together where the population is nothing but misfits with severe drinking problems.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
We were allowed to keep ammo in our arms room. Had to get a ton of stuff signed off by the physical security office and various commanders, have an additional physical security inspection, mark the room with the proper signs, and keep it locked in a special cage though. That was just for the minimum required protection ammo. They asked about storing pyro in there and the physical security guys just laughed at them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

ok well you probably at least have one kid with like 4 knives on him at all times and another weirdo who keeps a hollow point 5.56 round "just in case" now is their chance to shine

One of our platoons (that was on BAF and then was sent to Dwyer, a place that hadn't had any enemy contact in something like 4 years) was secretly stockpiling ammunition for "the big one." I'm legitimately surprised they didn't end up committing war crimes on their way down there.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My experience in Korea in regards to ammo was dumb as gently caress.

When we got an alert, first we'd have to lug all our poo poo - by foot - after signing out from the arms room all the guns and poo poo. Then we gotta rig up the 240s, the .50 cal on the CROWS, and all of this takes fuckin' ages, like literally 3 hours. Then we gotta get up to the AHA and by the time the AHA is finished being a bunch of dicks about literally everything it's another 3 hours to get a whole company of tanks loaded up, and that's hauling rear end.

After realizing that intel called us the "Korean speed bump" as we'd be pummeled by about 100,000 rounds of artillery if poo poo were to kick off for realsies, I just made sure to see if the KATUSAs hadn't run for the hills when we got an alert, otherwise we'd just go put the guns in their mounts and then have a nap in our tank and wait for endex.

We literally had no 5.56 or 9mm let alone 7.62 and .50 in the arms room unless we happened to be keeping it for a range the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We would run to the arms room and get the 50s and poo poo too, we just never got ammo.

I don't know if anyone has seen what Camp Castle looks like, but it's on the side of a big loving hill. Running up that motherfucker with a 50 on your shoulder (or the goddamn tripod) loving sucked an insane amount.

• Locked thread