Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Sean posted:

I've seen players in videos use a laser pointer for primary firing arcs, etc., but I can't really find one on Amazon that specifically makes a line with the laser. Can anybody help, please?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NJXR0C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course, when I got it, it was like $5. Not sure why it's $11 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I bought one of these from my FLGS for like $5.

https://www.amazon.com/Tools-Target...y+painter+laser

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I also use the Army Painter Target Lock, and it's OK.
I find that when your arc might be just barely clipping the corner of a base but not hitting the pilot card, I end up using the template anyway due to wigglyness of the laser in your hands.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thank you all for the input and recommendations.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
The advantage of the Army Painter one for me was that the LGS had it on the wall, and it was eight dollars. Every other laser I've seen works better, but I'm lazy, so whatever.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Devlan Mud posted:

The advantage of the Army Painter one for me was that the LGS had it on the wall, and it was eight dollars. Every other laser I've seen works better, but I'm lazy, so whatever.

:same:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Devlan Mud posted:

Yep, same.

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005
Harbor freight tools has a decent laser line for about $5, it has a little stand with magnets because it is meant for a table saw. Of course, being harbor freight, 20% probably won't work out of the package so check it at the register.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dunno about how much better other lasers work but the Army Painter one puts out a clear red line that I can use to check arcs and that's all I need. It's also small and compact as hell.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Devlan Mud posted:

Same, thats the one i use. Works well enough

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm really liking epic ships and I put together a team that I'd appreciate your opinion on. Mind you this is not for competition. I just play for fun at a friends house.

CR-90 Fore (50)
Toryn Farr (6)
Engineering Team (4)
EM Emitter (3)
Automated Protocols (5)
Tantive IV (4)
Jan Dodonna (6)
Quad laser cannons (6)

CR-90 Aft (40)
WED droid (2)
Back-up Shield Generator (3)
Optimized Generators (5)
Quad Laser Cannons (6)

YT-2400: Leebo (34)
Opportunist (4)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Outrider (5)
Dash Rendar (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)

T-70: Red Squadron Veteran (26)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated astromech (0)

T-70: Red Squadron Veteran (26)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Y Wing: Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin laser turret (6)
R2 astromech (1)

A Wing: Gemmer Sojan (22)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Autothrusters (2)
A wing test pilot (0)
Outamaneuver (3)

The basic idea is the CR-90 provides 3 dice worth of obstruction and a big wall o' hit points for the Outrider. With Toryn on board it can strip tokens so the Outrider's HLC + Opportunist gets 5 attack dice. Having Dash on the Outrider means it is not affected by the CR-90's obstruction. I considered switching the Tantive and Jan for Jaina's Light for extra tank.

The rest is just fluff to get more ships on the board to screen for the CR-90.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have both the army painter and harbor freight one and the army painter one works better. It has a thinner line, smaller profile, and has a much better success rate. I always recommend opening up the harbor freight one in-store after purchasing and trying it out so you can immediately ask for a replacement about half the time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Someone please make some sort of ice cream themed Scum list called Bosskin Robins, TIA

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

Someone please make some sort of ice cream themed Scum list called Bosskin Robins, TIA

I've been calling a Bossk/Dengar list "Who's the Bossk?"

Bosskin Robbins should include Palob, Old Teroch, or Ka'ato robbin' tokens from their neighbors.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Super Dengar is a lot of fun and it's sad that he's not that viable in regional+ competition.

He's like Kyle Dash but better. It's just scum have total dogshit for wingmen choices for him and I don't think either of the new ships really change that.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 17, 2016

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So I'm thinking of trying out a bomber buddy, Vessery, Redline list for funsies. I haven't flown the buddy before, any general advice beyond expect to lose it and practice bump avoidance?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Dulkor posted:

So I'm thinking of trying out a bomber buddy, Vessery, Redline list for funsies. I haven't flown the buddy before, any general advice beyond expect to lose it and practice bump avoidance?

The bomber buddy needs to be within range 2 of your other pilots after he moves and before they move, so he basically wants to be playing catch up with them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

canyoneer posted:

I've been calling a Bossk/Dengar list "Who's the Bossk?"

Bosskin Robbins should include Palob, Old Teroch, or Ka'ato robbin' tokens from their neighbors.

You have surpassed Bossk and have earned the title of Big Bossk

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Dulkor posted:

literally all the BB wants to do it move within the relevant range (in this case, 1-2) of his allies, and take an action for as many rounds as possible. You don't care about getting shots, you don't care about getting IT shot, you just care about getting that Fleet Officer off. And with this build, about what the second crewman on the BB is, because Systems Officer is drat near useless, apart from the first round of engagement with Redline.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Panzeh posted:

Super Dengar is a lot of fun and it's sad that he's not that viable in regional+ competition.

He's like Kyle Dash but better. It's just scum have total dogshit for wingmen choices for him and I don't think either of the new ships really change that.

I think Fenn could be pretty good. He's similar to a Corran in that he can remove a threat to Dengar pretty handily. Less durable, obviously. The Shadowcaster can also be built pretty cheap in the 40-ish point range, so that's also a possibility. I also ran a Slaver for a bit with him, it sort of worked. Needed more practice though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, Fenngar is gonna be solid, as I suspect is Dengar/Ketsu. Not built the latter out fully yet though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Gate posted:

I think Fenn could be pretty good. He's similar to a Corran in that he can remove a threat to Dengar pretty handily. Less durable, obviously. The Shadowcaster can also be built pretty cheap in the 40-ish point range, so that's also a possibility. I also ran a Slaver for a bit with him, it sort of worked. Needed more practice though.

Fenn has the offense but his defense is pretty weak and he lacks Corran's ability to hit and run using regen. The shadowcaster is more interesting but every build i can think of wants dengar crew.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
PtL with K4 seems strong to me. Little less flexible than Dengar, but also more rerolls potentially. Can also potentially just have PtL with alt crew like Latts if it's Asaaj or something. I think there's a lot of potential builds.

Latts sounds pretty hilarious against torpedo Jumpmasters, free evade whenever they shoot you since they have to run Overclocked R4 now.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Will Fearlessness work with the mobile firing arc? I assume so.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

Will Fearlessness work with the mobile firing arc? I assume so.

Yep. Works with the YV-666's 180 degree arc too. Both will probably be great carriers for that EPT.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
I have always liked my Decimator. I am trying to make a Decimator/mini swarm list that but can't quit make the numbers work. Anyone try something like and had success? I don't have palpatine. I have all the normal expansions/core sets (no epic ships). Thanks in advance!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

[url]https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v4!s!99:57,-1,45,46,21,-1:-1:3:;195:18,-1,-1:33:17:&sn=Deci%20Ryad[/url]

Chirpy barrels in and destroys the enemy's ability to hurt Ryad. Ryad cleans up.

I have a hard time with Palp on a Decimator because it's too expensive to keep out of the fight, but if you bring it into the fight, it WILL die. So instead, just gear the thing up to do as much damage as possible in as small a time span as possible.

You can drop Predator for VI if you want to be more arc dodgy with RAC...but you're almost guaranteed to get max damage on every roll with the decimiator I posted. Hard to pass that up.

I'm entering a bracketed championship and I think I might use this as my second hangar bay list.
My concern is that there are so many Inquisitors in Palp aces lists these days, and those shields on the Inquisitor really take the sting out of Vader crew.
I might just take brobots instead. I can handle aces pretty well with my other list, and Brobots are versatile enough for just about anything else out there.

Since the link doesn't work right with the :3: smiley

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Predator (3)
Darth Vader (3)
Rebel Captive (3)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Countess Ryad (34)
Push the Limit (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/x7 (-2)

Total: 100

[url=https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v4!s!99:57,-1,45,46,21,-1:-1:3:;195:18,-1,-1:33:17:&sn=Deci%20Ryad]View in Yet Another Squad Builder[/url]

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

canyoneer posted:

I'm entering a bracketed championship and I think I might use this as my second hangar bay list.
My concern is that there are so many Inquisitors in Palp aces lists these days, and those shields on the Inquisitor really take the sting out of Vader crew.
I might just take brobots instead. I can handle aces pretty well with my other list, and Brobots are versatile enough for just about anything else out there.

Since the link doesn't work right with the :3: smiley

Predator (3)
Darth Vader (3)
Rebel Captive (3)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Countess Ryad (34)
Push the Limit (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/x7 (-2)

[url=https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v4!s!99:57,-1,45,46,21,-1:-1:3:;195:18,-1,-1:33:17:&sn=Deci%20Ryad]View in Yet Another Squad Builder[/url]

There is a tournament going on here Sunday this is offering some ships as prizes. Here is what I am thinking of running. "The Hammer and Sickle"
The Inquisitor 31
-Autothrusters 2
-Tie v1 Title 1
-Push the Limit 3

Captain Oicunn 57
-Tactical Jammer 1
-Predator 3
-Mara Jade 3
-Gunner 5
-Rebel Captive 3

Academy Pilot 12

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

lazerus06 posted:

I have always liked my Decimator. I am trying to make a Decimator/mini swarm list that but can't quit make the numbers work. Anyone try something like and had success? I don't have palpatine. I have all the normal expansions/core sets (no epic ships). Thanks in advance!

No idea if this would be any good, but i'd fly it so there

Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)

Predator (3)
Rebel Captive (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Obsidians arent worth an extra point. Youre better off putting those 3 points on the decimator.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

enigmahfc posted:

No idea if this would be any good, but i'd fly it so there

Predator (3)
Rebel Captive (3)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

What about :
Black Squadron Pilot
-Crack Shot
Black Squadron Pilot
-Crack Shot
Black Squadron Pilot
-Crack Shot
Captain Oicunn
-Predator
-Rebel Captive
-Ysanne Isard
-Mara Jade

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So has anything useful come out of Long Range Scanners? Is it exactly as useless as everyone thought?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I know the conversation has moved on a bit, but as far as laser lines I had the Harbor Freight one and was super excited that the Army Painter may be better so I picked one up while I was out today.

Here's the comparison:

Harbor Freight is on the left and Army Painter is on the right. The Army Painter has a little bit of side bleed for lack of a better term. Did I get a bad one? That's about 2-3 feet off the table.

Also does anyone have any helpful thoughts about the squad I posted earlier? It's not a super serious one I'm just looking for feed back on if it has any merit.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Travic posted:

Also does anyone have any helpful thoughts about the squad I posted earlier? It's not a super serious one I'm just looking for feed back on if it has any merit.

It's epic so do whatever seems fun, imo

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Travic posted:

I know the conversation has moved on a bit, but as far as laser lines I had the Harbor Freight one and was super excited that the Army Painter may be better so I picked one up while I was out today.

Here's the comparison:

Harbor Freight is on the left and Army Painter is on the right. The Army Painter has a little bit of side bleed for lack of a better term. Did I get a bad one? That's about 2-3 feet off the table.

Nah my AP one is a bit cack as well. But they're pretty mch the only cheap supplier here, line lasers cost a fortune in the UK foe some reason.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
My Harbor Freight one is really wide. Maybe the battery's just dying.

How do you all deal with Zuckus crew when you're flying high agility ships? Just token up and hope for the best?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

canyonero posted:

How do you all deal with Zuckus crew when you're flying high agility ships? Just token up and hope for the best?

You hope you have tokens because Zuckuss works way better against normal green dice than Soontir green dice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

canyonero posted:

Bring all the dice mods you can that don't involve rerolls, because you will not get any god dice.

And focus loving fire.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That Shuttle looks really precarious.

• Locked thread