Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Any rumors or leaks on the new expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
e: ^^^ that'd mean someone breaking their NDA

Ofaloaf posted:

Which is also why I'm upset so many cool buildings now are all RICO ploppables instead of growables.

Not much of a choice if they're bigger than 4x4 cells.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm in love with this lighthouse

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=738969376

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=739477206

:swoon:

Bogan Krkic posted:

I've just finished 2 maps, one which I taught myself the basics of map making with, and one which I've spent a long time planning out and making optimally conditioned to how I like to build cities.

I present Zoe Bay, and the theoretically better version of it, Mountain Bay.

Loving the look of these.

Do any goons have any recommendations for maps? I'm interested in maps with the widest possible variety of terrains in the package - river, coast, lakes, flat land, hills, mountains etc.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I have a crazy as poo poo map with waterfalls and a scary bridge over the waterfall, maybe I'll upload it. It's loving enormous though.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Do any goons have any recommendations for maps? I'm interested in maps with the widest possible variety of terrains in the package - river, coast, lakes, flat land, hills, mountains etc.

Mountain Bay was built to satisfy all these criteria, but the two best map builders on the workshop are OWL and MrMiyagi imo, both of whom have some that'll fit that. Golden Gate RM by OWL is probably the most varied in terrain, and is fully sick

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
When I try to subscribe to assets through the in game browser it crashes Cities Skylines, that's awfully strange

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A city I've been working on. I wanted to design some fun public transit lines so the city is mostly built outwards so I can have far reaching lines from the suburbs that converge in the city. Also I did it all with normal trains so I could have them be both above and below ground as needed. I think it turned out well. I'd like to complete the suburbs and merge them into an agricultural outskirts but I might hit a population wall before I get to that.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
If I wanted American/Canadian style urban row/town houses to develop, is that considered low or high density (with high rise ban)?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

JVNO posted:

If I wanted American/Canadian style urban row/town houses to develop, is that considered low or high density (with high rise ban)?

Download the Brooklyn themed buildings on the workshop and make that a district style ftw

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

New expansion's gonna be announced tomorrow at 1pm CEST. I'm hoping for "we've integrated a bunch of essential mods into the core game and optimised the poo poo out of it all, please pay us ten dollars". That or like, something centred around hosting events.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I really just want more actual game in the game, but I will settle for neat train/rail/subway expansions and more building styles/types.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe there'll be a new gas station ploppable.

Or hosting olympics which adds a ton of clutter agents as they head for the river where your swimming competition junk is floating downstream from the sewage pipes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have no idea what to expect. Part of me wants to get optimistic that they finally listened properly and watched how people are playing the game and are adding new content and improving existing systems to actually respond to that, or they'll double down on the stupid and announce a huge new DLC that adds yet another zoning specialization that does gently caress all and is poorly integrated into the game but changes just enough stuff that it forces most major mods to be re-done.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If they change metro systems so they can be above ground or a combo of that and underground, I'll buy it. That's all I want.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I have no idea what to expect. Part of me wants to get optimistic that they finally listened properly and watched how people are playing the game and are adding new content and improving existing systems to actually respond to that, or they'll double down on the stupid and announce a huge new DLC that adds yet another zoning specialization that does gently caress all and is poorly integrated into the game but changes just enough stuff that it forces most major mods to be re-done.

Their social media seems to post nothing but player made content, so you would hope they are actually paying attention. The question is how much they care.

CLAM DOWN posted:

If they change metro systems so they can be above ground or a combo of that and underground, I'll buy it. That's all I want.

Same. I want a deeper game, but if it is gonna keep being CityDrawTool, then give me more fleshed out metro systems.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
they specifically said there won't be above ground metro

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Metrication posted:

Well that is lovely and dumb.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ToastyPotato posted:

Well that is lovely and dumb.

Bloody penguin is apparently taking care of this

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's something I kind of miss from games like Transport Tycoon: the ability to merge stations to create the massive sprawling hubs of multiple transport types, arranged in a way that suits your needs rather than as dictated by some fixed asset. Add in the ability to shift the elevation of the station and have them overlap properly, and it would allow for the most wonderfully baroque setups that could solve so many public transportation issues the game currently suffers from.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Just download an underground train station asset and stop using metros

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Metrication posted:

gently caress everything.

Zero One posted:

No I like metros :colbert:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Zero One posted:

But those trains are so drat long :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mandalay posted:

But those trains are so drat long :(

If you ever see the horrible cartoony vanilla trains in your game you're playing it wrong.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Baronjutter posted:

If you ever see the horrible cartoony vanilla trains in your game you're playing it wrong.

Do you have a shorter train you'd recommend?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Red Bones posted:

New expansion's gonna be announced tomorrow at 1pm CEST. I'm hoping for "we've integrated a bunch of essential mods into the core game and optimised the poo poo out of it all, please pay us ten dollars".

The problem with that is that they release all core engine/simulation changes for free.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

From a Paradox employee on reddit:

quote:

Colossal Order has been super industrious to get the train rolling on their future expansion. They've customized this to a whole new level, placing this DLC on the highway to success. The flood of new users will be like rush hour in Hong Kong, and the decisions made are sure to appease the mobs and prevent riots. In short, it won't be disastrous, but will be an event to behold in its full reality. Be sure to weather the wait, because it's worth it!

There are no clues in the above paragraph. Only an opinion of how awesome I think the next expansion is ;)

Oh And Zombies.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Trains and disasters?!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This doesn't run so well on my laptop!

Sad!!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

More weather, including floods. More train stuff. Riots. Something about customization. More highway stuff. Rush hour mechanics or a traffic update? VR integration? Zombies?

This will either be very interesting, or just kind of another wonky layer of stuff to mostly ignore.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd rather they laser focus on a couple things and do them really well rather than 10 half-implemented features that never feel fully integrated or balanced.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I don't give a gently caress about disasters but the rest of it sounds cool. Hope to wake up to good news.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
I really wish medium density was a thing in this game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sounds to me like an event-based expansion with disasters being one kind of event, rushes being another, so on.

Eskaton posted:

I really wish medium density was a thing in this game.4 2

It'd be better if they changed density to a district-style paintable with like four or five levels.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 18, 2016

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Sounds like a transportation plus disasters patch. Err, expansion.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Hopefully they've rolled the rush hour mod into the game.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

well here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9IHTlOMW-w

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hell yeah! :woop:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Radio Stations oh man they really know how to win me over :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

An Objectively Good Feature: Scenario Mode allows players to design custom game objectives, including custom starting cities, win conditions, time limits, and more – and share scenarios to Steam Workshop

Oooo.

quote:

finally, a Paradox game where “Comet Sighted” actually means something

Ahhh.

quote:

or simply relax to new in-game music stations

eeee

quote:

Chirpocalypse Now: Heck yeah, new hats for Chirper

ohhhh