Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jpublic
Aug 14, 2015
Those dudes before the bridge are called Purgatory Guardians, not Grave Wardens.

They're got really odd aggro response from my experience. I've noticed that they seem to aggro at larger range nwhen human than when hollow, but that may just be my bad luck.

And that item under the bridge can be got without dropping from the bridge, if you Try Jumping from the ledge above the bonfire. I usually get it that way. It's also a fun place to hide and troll invaders from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

jpublic posted:

And that item under the bridge can be got without dropping from the bridge, if you Try Jumping from the ledge above the bonfire. I usually get it that way. It's also a fun place to hide and troll invaders from.

He Tried Jumping like three times and gave up on that approach, one or two videos ago.

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015

KieranWalker posted:

He Tried Jumping like three times and gave up on that approach, one or two videos ago.

Sorry, must have missed that bit. Yeah, it's a very tricky jump.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Did anybody mention running (not jumping) from the area above the bridge approach bonfire yet? That's the best method I've found.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

My brain finally caught up to what I watched a day or two ago.

a roooom with a MOOOOOOOSE!? And you without walnuts... horrible.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
this isnt the punchyfist run we did

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Thank you guys for keeping up the content on a regular basis!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I never realized that those sounds came from the vase :aaaaa:

I just thought they were background sounds.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I mostly dropped those effigies 'cause there are some cool NPC small soapstone summons around.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Kuvo posted:

this isnt the punchyfist run we did
im editing it!!!!!!!!!!!!

also I'm an outstanding puncher, you guys. Just gotta tweak my timing a little

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Something i forgot about until Vicas mentioned it but Dark Souls 2 was really bad about having really rare armor and weapons only drop from invaders, Roenna dropping their hat i believe, and that being the only way to get that item for the most part.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Frionnel posted:

I never realized that those sounds came from the vase :aaaaa:

I just thought they were background sounds.

Yep, it's from the jars. It's... a bit odd. And I don't know why the hell they gave the curse jars the sound effect of childish laughter. It doesn't seem fitting at all. So I don't get the idea at all.

Also, Merciless Roenna is a good point of comparison for how the original NPC invaders work compared to the new and improved DLC invaders. Merciless Roenna was really easy to just beat into a pulp and behaved predictably. New ones like Forlorn not so much.

Smornstein posted:

Something i forgot about until Vicas mentioned it but Dark Souls 2 was really bad about having really rare armor and weapons only drop from invaders, Roenna dropping their hat i believe, and that being the only way to get that item for the most part.

Yeah, there are other examples of this too; like an NPC black phantom enemy that is NG+ only in the varangian pirate place. And almost all appearing only once per new game level, of course. It was really obnoxious.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 18, 2016

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

rougery

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I forget, did you guys go back to talk to Cale in Majula? I believe you did but I've forgotten.

Smornstein posted:

Scholar lightened it up a fair bit (even with Roenna's hat, which is pretty great for some niche applications) by shuffling things around, but at the end of the day it's about as tedious as chopping tails off dragons.

MGlBlaze posted:

Yep, it's from the jars. It's... a bit odd. And I don't know why the hell they gave the curse jars the sound effect of childish laughter. It doesn't seem fitting at all. So I don't get the idea at all.
It's supposed to be odd, to get your attention as an audible tell before you wander into their radius. (Also, what kind of children laugh like that?)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Smornstein posted:

That particular hat does drop from an enemy later in the game, albeit one that I think is the only enemy of that type in the game so you only had so many shots at it without asceticing.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Man now I really wanna invade Geop, but I've only got the PC version.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

(Also, what kind of children laugh like that?)

The demonic messed up kind, of course. :black101:

I did describe it as "childish" as opposed to being an actual child, though there is one set of laughter from them that sounds like Candy from DK64. I literally just made that connection and now I will never be able to un-hear it.

I do see what you mean but I feel like more of a raspy hollow-like groan or something would make more sense.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 18, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Roenna never dropped down from anything (or from behind, for that matter) in the original, she spawned in front of you further along towards the waterfalls. You are probably confusing it with one of the nastiest NG+ additions in this area.

A lot of NPC invaders can drop rather surprisingly nice gear, actually. Some drop "only" +3 or +5 weapons they are using, but I once even got a certain crossbow from one very early, and of course Roenna can drop her hat which does boost casting in some way (I forgot, maybe just + Int).

Speaking of stupid drops, the Necromancers don't respawn, right? Well, too bad their staff is actually quite nice and if you want full fashion, you also need their mask...there is a way, but it is a truly obnoxious one.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vdWX7khOvI

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wrong link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2rwxs1gH9w

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Simply Simon posted:

A lot of NPC invaders can drop rather surprisingly nice gear, actually. Some drop "only" +3 or +5 weapons they are using, but I once even got a certain crossbow from one very early, and of course Roenna can drop her hat which does boost casting in some way (I forgot, maybe just + Int).

Int +2, souls gained +2.5%.

Armor giving small stat boosts or buffs was a part of DS2 I wish had made the transition to 3.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Paracelsus posted:

Int +2, souls gained +2.5%.
You forgot: "look rad as hell" :colbert:

necroid
May 14, 2009

I might be remembering things wrong but doesn't this game look a lot worse than DS1?

Although to be honest I have just finished playing Bloodborne, which in my opinion had a stellar art direction (at least for the first half) and I've also played DS1 on pc years ago with all the available graphical fixes/upgrades, so my memories might be warped.

But from what I've seen until now DS2 looks very bland and flat and unlike anything I can remember from DS1.

By the way, I have only recently been gifted a PS4 and retrocompatibility isn't very clear to me on these newer consoles. Is DS1 seriously not compatible with the PS4? What the gently caress? At least ME has announced a planned trilogy remaster for PS4, is this a common thing on consoles?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

A lot of DS2 looks like garbage, yes. From textures stretched over too big areas with no change to painfully obviously placeholder "you won't go here anyway" areas to the colours themselves. The models look better than DS1 I'd say, like they have more polygons or whatever, probably also for the world, but they use it worse. It's an art direction thing.

Also, from what I've heard the PS3 was just a giant mess internally and the architecture of the PS4 is now sensible, but radically different, so they can't just say "it also plays PS3 games, EASY". It annoys me too because I wanna play Bloodborne AND Demon's Souls at some point but excluding some weird streaming service or sth I won't ever play them on the same console, probably. Of which I own neither so far, for the record.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

necroid posted:

I might be remembering things wrong but doesn't this game look a lot worse than DS1?

Although to be honest I have just finished playing Bloodborne, which in my opinion had a stellar art direction (at least for the first half) and I've also played DS1 on pc years ago with all the available graphical fixes/upgrades, so my memories might be warped.

But from what I've seen until now DS2 looks very bland and flat and unlike anything I can remember from DS1.

The individual parts are higher-quality, but the way the environments are structured makes the overall impression less refined. Areas in DS2 are laid out more like pure video game levels, Mario 64 style, than they are like semi-plausibly functional places as in DS1. Bits of detail feel more like random window dressing than a part of the world.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Roenna never dropped down from anything (or from behind, for that matter) in the original, she spawned in front of you further along towards the waterfalls. You are probably confusing it with one of the nastiest NG+ additions in this area.

Speaking of stupid drops, the Necromancers don't respawn, right? Well, too bad their staff is actually quite nice and if you want full fashion, you also need their mask...there is a way, but it is a truly obnoxious one.

Speaking of the Necromancers i seem to recall the staff they drop being the best early game catalyst for the new flavor of magic in DS2. Meaning if you don't get it from the few in the caves you're stuck with the base sorcerers catalyst for quite a while.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Smornstein posted:

Speaking of the Necromancers i seem to recall the staff they drop being the best early game catalyst for the new flavor of magic in DS2. Meaning if you don't get it from the few in the caves you're stuck with the base sorcerers catalyst for quite a while.

There is a way to farm for the necromancer gear (they also drop clothing like in the video - geop got a hat!) but it's a pain and a half.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

After going back to DS1 I found that a number of textures in that look smeared or muddy, so :shrug: Something about it looks off compared to DS2 or Demon's Souls, even. Plus the original release on PC was even worse, such that you're effectively required to use mods to fix a distorted port. And woe betide you if you try tweaking it to run at 60 fps, because the engine really was only designed to work at 30 fps and starts messing up the bounding if you change that.

Smornstein posted:

I never really bothered to use that staff, but then again much of my time in DS2 was spent playing the original version that I'd preordered. And for doing so, you got early access to several interesting (if not top-tier in usefulness) pieces of gear, such as a staff that's decent for what you're talking about.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NGDBSS posted:

After going back to DS1 I found that a number of textures in that look smeared or muddy, so :shrug: Something about it looks off compared to DS2 or Demon's Souls, even. Plus the original release on PC was even worse, such that you're effectively required to use mods to fix a distorted port. And woe betide you if you try tweaking it to run at 60 fps, because the engine really was only designed to work at 30 fps and starts messing up the bounding if you change that.
Really? The only problem I ever had with DSFix was sliding down ladders, otherwise it ran just fine.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Really? The only problem I ever had with DSFix was sliding down ladders, otherwise it ran just fine.

Jump distance was affected as well, had to toggle back to 30fps to make a few of the further jumps

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Smornstein posted:

I think it's actually pretty drat good for normal-rear end magic, at least I farmed it for that once (and got it after five minutes, haha). The thing is, unless you want to cast really quickly or have a staff that's good for both magic and hexes, the starting catalyst is actually the best for a huge part of the game unless you get the Lizard Staff off the Necromancers. There is one that's better number-wise, but it might annoy you as you have to stay fully human for it to reach max damage. And it comes really late.

Said staff was moved to a far earlier position in Scholar, however, so now you really should use it (and just Effigy up often, not like that's hard), making farming for the Lizard Staff thankfully a little obsolete. Looks great though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

NGDBSS posted:

I never really bothered to use that staff, but then again much of my time in DS2 was spent playing the original version that I'd preordered. And for doing so, you got early access to several interesting (if not top-tier in usefulness) pieces of gear, such as a staff that's decent for what you're talking about.

i dunno, while ds1's textures might not be hi-res, they're well-crafted and used judiciously creating an overall more realistic look and feel. ds2's textures all feel like the color was simultaneously hypersaturated and then run though a 20% grayscale filter or something. simultaneously too colorful and yet extremely muted. in addition, the textures on objects in the world are used rather repetitively and with very little variation. in contrast, look at vicas's run through Anor Londo in his current LP and notice how even from room to room there's subtle changes in the textures and the way theyre applied that gives a real sense of place.

basically it's completely pointless to do super hi resolution hi polycount poo poo if your art direction is bad. tech vs craft basically. the classic example of a game with extremely fuzzy textures that still, imo, looks good today is ocarina of time. go play it on your n64 (you have one, right?). the poly counts are so low, the textures are fuzzy as hell, but the huge variety in textures and shapes and the careful application of them makes the world vibrant and believable. now compare that to a comparatively more modern game like, say, doom 3. doom 3 has detailed textures, more polygons, a complex lighting system, etc. but it's just boring to look at. nothing calls out to you to examine it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

DS1 struck me as a game that people have given a certain amount of leeway because it's their entry to the series. Like I said, among other things Demon's Souls looked better with similar constraints.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Shoutout to Ironsaber for popping in so much this session! :v:

At this point, we haven't been able to schedule another recording session! And I haven't solo'd! This is right where I left off.

In the mean-time, a shorter LP will be starting up. I'll link it here when it happens :shobon:

((also I enjoyed the illusion of a double-putdown at 8:06))

Geop fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 20, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

basically it's completely pointless to do super hi resolution hi polycount poo poo if your art direction is bad. tech vs craft basically. the classic example of a game with extremely fuzzy textures that still, imo, looks good today is ocarina of time. go play it on your n64 (you have one, right?). the poly counts are so low, the textures are fuzzy as hell, but the huge variety in textures and shapes and the careful application of them makes the world vibrant and believable. now compare that to a comparatively more modern game like, say, doom 3. doom 3 has detailed textures, more polygons, a complex lighting system, etc. but it's just boring to look at. nothing calls out to you to examine it.

ocarina of time is a startlingly hideous game, and i would not recommend that anyone play it at this point in time. go play wind waker instead.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Harvest Valley sounds like a salad dressing, but I don't wanna eat it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
hopefully at some point geop notices that he has another estus flask shard sitting around in his inventory

those things just keep piling up! junk, basically

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
You rank up in Way of the Blue when you defeat an Invading Phantom. Way of Blue awards you for defeating invaders.

Also, I don't think Geop noticed, but I was frantically tossing Alluring Skulls around during the boss fight so he wouldn't get ganked by skeletons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

This game does some multi-enemy-boss-fights nonsense and most of it is bullshit. Dark Souls 1 did it occasionally as well but Dark Souls 1 did it much more carefully. So I can't blame you at all for bringing along some buddies (Thanks IronSaber!). That said, Skeleton Lords is one of a grand total of two boss fights in this game involving multiple enemies (or maybe even at all) that I actually like.

Each of the three lords themselves has their own thing going on, and they don't have all that much HP. Them summoning a group of skeletons when they die (and it's a specific group for each of the three lords) is actually kind of an interesting mechanic. And while the enemy count may ramp up, it is both a large arena, and one of the few arenas that actually has some geometry you can legitimately put between yourself an the enemies to heal up, break their formation, and all that good stuff. And the arena even looks interesting. You're fighting on a pile of bones, the Lord thrones are bones, the floor undulates due to the un-even piles. Pretty cool music too.

And as Vicas said, they changed the spawns in SotFS. I can't actually remember how many bonewheels it used to be (It wasn't that many, really), but the other two really summon WAY more. The armoured skeletons with two falcions has a roughly doubled group size, and I swear there are three times as many of the sword-and-shield skeletons as there used to be. That isn't a change I appreciated. But oh well.

Overall I actually like this boss; although maybe it's one of the easier bosses in the game, which may ruin it a bit for some people.

And welcome to Harevest Valley, one of the game's weakest areas immediately after one of the game's strongest areas.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 20, 2016

• Locked thread