Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
By the way, last time I played missions were bugged to hell and you could rarely complete one that was more complex than haul given cargo. Is it any better yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm hurrdurr

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What frustrates me about Elite is that it's still a game that, at least to me, fails to give me any real reason to do something. There's very little player agency, especially with respect to the BGS, and while it's clear that Braben wants it that way it's a real shame because that just doesn't appeal to me. I would love to be able to put some kind of mark on the game universe, like having the right to colonize a planet or erect a space station in deep space. Given how large the universe is I feel like something that would be viable and still allow them to maintain their region of perfect control, especially if they required you to have colonization rights that only permitted you to settle on a planet that was some distance from the bubble.

There's a lot of ways I could fantasize about that happening, but it's just a fantasy.
There are rumours of them wanting to steer the game more into a player run story kind of thing, and there being a second bubble that expands purely on player activity around the Jaques station or what's it called, but they're just rumours at this point, yeah.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sultan Tarquin posted:

So 2.2 is going to add content which isn't really content? I mean yeah fighter ships seems interesting. But what exactly is it adding? Same with transport missions and station interiors. You're still hauling x to y, only this time you're a space bus instead of a space truck.

:nallears:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Elite Dangerous patch 2.2 - aliens, space stations & more | Gamescom 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA_FcXnyV5Q

Apologies if it's been linked already.

Bullet points:

* New station interiors that reflect the tech level.
* Fighters - implication being that you build these yourself.
* Teased alien ship
* Passenger/Troop missions - he implies multistage, or updated mission objectives

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 17, 2016

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

So the last time I played this game long-distance-smuggling was the hot thing and you could make a bunch of money taking smuggling missions from the edge developed space. Is this still a thing in the game? Everyone was expecting it to be heavily nerfed money-making-wise, but I thought it was one of the more fun things. I just zoomed around with a Cobra made to move as fast as possible and gave all the space cops the slip.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Count Mippipopolous posted:

So the last time I played this game long-distance-smuggling was the hot thing and you could make a bunch of money taking smuggling missions from the edge developed space. Is this still a thing in the game? Everyone was expecting it to be heavily nerfed money-making-wise, but I thought it was one of the more fun things. I just zoomed around with a Cobra made to move as fast as possible and gave all the space cops the slip.

Not as much, no. You can get similar money doing regular missions now so there's a lot less need for those shenanigans. You can still get smuggling missions if those are your thing, of course, but they're not the spectacularly overpaid option they were before.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What frustrates me about Elite is that it's still a game that, at least to me, fails to give me any real reason to do something. There's very little player agency, especially with respect to the BGS, and while it's clear that Braben wants it that way it's a real shame because that just doesn't appeal to me. I would love to be able to put some kind of mark on the game universe, like having the right to colonize a planet or erect a space station in deep space. Given how large the universe is I feel like something that would be viable and still allow them to maintain their region of perfect control, especially if they required you to have colonization rights that only permitted you to settle on a planet that was some distance from the bubble.

There's a lot of ways I could fantasize about that happening, but it's just a fantasy.

I'd love it if they took this direction, but unfortunately a large part of the ED community is deadset on the idea that anything that gives players as a group control of anything would turn the game into "EVE" and that apparently is a very bad thing.

It's a huge lost opportunity and it's very unfortunate as they certainly have the framework for adding player built and owned stations in the game. Unfortunately the position on ED is largely that of it being a single player game in a universe where there might be some other players. This is why the concept of solo play even exists...

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Count Mippipopolous posted:

You can stack planetary base assault missions for several million an hour too now.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Speaking of community stuff, where are the players at nowadays? do goons still hang around Big Harry's? Since picking the game up again a week or so ago, I haven't seen a single other human player.

edit: whoops - forgot this thread existed - seems like the days of big harry's are long over!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 17, 2016

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don't think the game needs to be EVE, but it should have a lot more player involvement and group mechanics that, well, benefit groups. There's great player driven lore and in-universe content that for me is half of what makes the game worth playing. I think they can expand on and enable that without having to delve too deeply into sandcastle-kicking that I think people fear when someone mentions EVE.

My biggest complaint in this area so far is how samey and boring the universe feels. Station interiors, however minor, are at least a tiny step toward addressing that.

Compare ED to Freelancer: Freelancer had identifiable color schemes for system backgrounds, aesthetics for ships and planets that identified the area. Factions there had clear purpose and place - they didn't like these people, they liked these people, with simple reasons why. There were defined, secure core worlds that bustled with activity and lowly trafficked, dangerous border systems in between.

I get that the sheer mechanics of elite prevents a lot of those things being copied 1:1 into this game, but I've never quite felt the same feelings as hauling a huge load of gold and getting tense as I approach a border world in Freelancer. I've never felt like I need to get out of dodge after pissing off cops because the local government isn't that threatening and is usually exceedingly local.

For a game that boasts about its environment/scale, there is literally nothing identifiable about any one place beyond like, Sol and I guess now Jacques/Barnacles. The only thing you can do is look at stuff.

What I'm really saying is Croberts should stop Star Citizen and give us Freelancer HD but with Elite's flight model.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Glad they're introducing more variety into station interiors. It also looked like there might be some new types of station/station configurations altogether from one shot in that vid?
It is going to be interesting to see if they manage multicrew before the end of the year. Having an NPC fighter is a fun idea but it'd be cooler to be out there with a friend messing about with Anaconda + fighter/SRV combos. Not sure why they're limiting it to just the CQC fighters except I think I remember hearing they couldn't fit a Sidewinder in the Anaconda's bay?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

El Grillo posted:

Glad they're introducing more variety into station interiors. It also looked like there might be some new types of station/station configurations altogether from one shot in that vid?

Yes, that was a CQC station. They wanted those to be added to the game at some point.

Regarding the interiors, I do appreciate the change. Due to the way FDEV have tackled modular construction via blocks (for both outposts and stations), it is only a matter of time and resources for the stations to have more variety as time goes on.

A looot more variety is needed though, and an update to the rules that specify what blocks can go where. At least, they have concepted this stuff years ago..this guy did a lot of them for Frontier when he was on the team.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xDoGO
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GXd5a

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 17, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yes. Sidey is technically not a fighter, it's a starship.

Still, looks like we're getting a brand new edit:fighter model, so that's nice.

Panch posted:

My biggest complaint in this area so far is how samey and boring the universe feels. Station interiors, however minor, are at least a tiny step toward addressing that.

Compare ED to Freelancer: Freelancer had identifiable color schemes for system backgrounds, aesthetics for ships and planets that identified the area. Factions there had clear purpose and place - they didn't like these people, they liked these people, with simple reasons why. There were defined, secure core worlds that bustled with activity and lowly trafficked, dangerous border systems in between.

I get that the sheer mechanics of elite prevents a lot of those things being copied 1:1 into this game, but I've never quite felt the same feelings as hauling a huge load of gold and getting tense as I approach a border world in Freelancer. I've never felt like I need to get out of dodge after pissing off cops because the local government isn't that threatening and is usually exceedingly local.
It doesn't need to be copied 1:1, but more permanence and more activity would be great. The only reason you know you're flying into a warzone right now is a "DROP INTO THIS TOTALLY OPTIONAL WARZONE" icon will show up on your HUD, that's hardly the dynamic universe they were talking about in the kickstarter.

Of course, the minute they implement anything like the above, they'll get another 10,000 nerds writing angry Steam reviews because they can no longer fly around with a 10 billion credit bounty with impunity and they can't be max rank in the Imperial and Federal navies at the same time.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 17, 2016

Axxslinger
Jun 9, 2004
somethingawful account

Main Paineframe posted:

They're going to have to do some kind of serious revamp to combat for fighters to be viable. There's a reason people don't just fly Eagles and Vipers into fights, and I don't expect this to address that. There isn't much that's fun to shoot at when you've got maybe 1-2 small mounts and your ship vaporizes (shields and all) from a single seeker salvo.

Maybe the fighter bay inside the larger ship holds like 20 fighters, and if the 2nd player gets shot down in a fighter, s/he immediately, or after a short delay, respawns and can fly out another fighter. 1 condor is not much of a plus, but a stream of them could make a difference. If you have multiple fighter bays with a third or 4th person, thus allowing 3 or 4 fighters at a time, each with 10+ respawns, this might be pretty powerful.

Or you could stock up on mats, and use them to build new fighters on the fly.
basically modeling the protoss carrier I suppose

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Truga posted:

I'm hurrdurr

There are rumours of them wanting to steer the game more into a player run story kind of thing, and there being a second bubble that expands purely on player activity around the Jaques station or what's it called, but they're just rumours at this point, yeah.

Rumors are still better than nothing.

FileNotFound posted:

I'd love it if they took this direction, but unfortunately a large part of the ED community is deadset on the idea that anything that gives players as a group control of anything would turn the game into "EVE" and that apparently is a very bad thing.

It's a huge lost opportunity and it's very unfortunate as they certainly have the framework for adding player built and owned stations in the game. Unfortunately the position on ED is largely that of it being a single player game in a universe where there might be some other players. This is why the concept of solo play even exists...

It would be fascinating if they flat out created a subset of space that simply did not exist in solo or group play. They would be invisible if you were playing solo, and if you entered them then you could not use solo or group play until you had left them. I think that would go a long way words enabling player agency and encouraging interaction, and would dovetail nicely with the player-run stuff.

Of course the solo play spergs would be enraged that a bunch of systems hours away from where they play might have content they can't access unless they actively decided to engage other people.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

It really seems like the ED community is just not ready to deal with any kind of player driven adversary. There is 16 pages of tears because someone unsuccessfully tried to shut down the mission board in Ceos/Sothis.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/280908-Ceos-Sothis-UA-bombing-underway

I cannot imagine how upset people would be if 'their' station got shat on etc.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Elite's brown sea is fuckin' terrible. It's all forumdads who get pissy when an NPC interdict them, calling it griefing.

I don't really give a poo poo about player agency, all I play elite for is one simple thing: To fly in a space ship and make other space ships go BOOM. And it does that really, really well. Especially with the new engineer stuff, now that it's not a ball crushing grind, you can really do some amazing things to your ships. Which helps me, again, make other ships go BOOM.

I also really like the improved AI, as well. It's actually really satisfying to dunk on an Elite ranked ship, because they fight hard, use their modules, and have upgrades.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 17, 2016

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

FileNotFound posted:

This, but replace all the criticism of all that stuff with support and praise.

I'm perfectly fine playing in a game world driven by an artificially-but-professionally-scripted narrative rather than being hammered over the head by the actions of whatever handful of player orgs can manage to attract a critical mass of grind-spergs.

In a game universe with the scope of Elite's, I like that the player (and small groups of players) can nudge the scales on economic events and community goals and such, but that--lore-wise--most things (colonization, station-building, military actions, etc.) happen on such a massive scale that the individual is a mere grain of sand on a sparkly spacebeach. It gives the universe a right proper sense of scale, and lends a realistic amount of magnitude to our individual actions.

Keep on keepin' on, Elite, you magnificent game of starship jockeys scratching out a living within a complex machine comprised of a kajillion different societies; a mind-bogglingly immense mega-civilization inside a mind-bogglingly immense galaxy that gives zero fucks about some gang of random assholes no matter how much gold paint they spray on their Anacondas.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It would be fascinating if they flat out created a subset of space that simply did not exist in solo or group play. They would be invisible if you were playing solo, and if you entered them then you could not use solo or group play until you had left them. I think that would go a long way words enabling player agency and encouraging interaction, and would dovetail nicely with the player-run stuff.

Of course the solo play spergs would be enraged that a bunch of systems hours away from where they play might have content they can't access unless they actively decided to engage other people.

The only thing this would change is that instead of blaming vast imaginary hordes of solo players for their total inability to accomplish anything in this game about grinding numbers in solitude, self-proclaimed hotshots will claim that they're being thwarted by connection exploits and preemptive combat loggers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Main Paineframe posted:

The only thing this would change is that instead of blaming vast imaginary hordes of solo players for their total inability to accomplish anything in this game about grinding numbers in solitude, self-proclaimed hotshots will claim that they're being thwarted by connection exploits and preemptive combat loggers.

Yes, but at least they're bitching about people.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Trustworthy posted:

This, but replace all the criticism of all that stuff with support and praise.

I'm perfectly fine playing in a game world driven by an artificially-but-professionally-scripted narrative rather than being hammered over the head by the actions of whatever handful of player orgs can manage to attract a critical mass of grind-spergs.

In a game universe with the scope of Elite's, I like that the player (and small groups of players) can nudge the scales on economic events and community goals and such, but that--lore-wise--most things (colonization, station-building, military actions, etc.) happen on such a massive scale that the individual is a mere grain of sand on a sparkly spacebeach. It gives the universe a right proper sense of scale, and lends a realistic amount of magnitude to our individual actions.

Keep on keepin' on, Elite, you magnificent game of starship jockeys scratching out a living within a complex machine comprised of a kajillion different societies; a mind-bogglingly immense mega-civilization inside a mind-bogglingly immense galaxy that gives zero fucks about some gang of random assholes no matter how much gold paint they spray on their Anacondas.

ED is big enough to be both - just like EVE can be played just fine without ever doing PvP.

There is no reason for why some of the uninhabited areas of ED space cannot be allowed to be controlled by players. You do not have to be a part of that just like you never have to venture into low sec in EVE let alone 0.0.

ED community would never accept anything that they would feel would be 'gated' behind PvP even if they had zero interest in what was behind the gate.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Was there ever a good guide to planetside stuff? I threw a buggy on my Asp when Horizons hit, flew over to a planet, landed on it, rolled around for a while, found absolutely nothing, spent about thirty minutes trying to actually get back into the ship, flew over to a base on the ground, docked at it, logged off, and never did anything after.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There is actually a surprising amount of politicking and fuckery w/r/t the BGS. DF have an amazing robust model and their constant interactions with the Brown Sea not only assert the superiority of Lowtax's Chosen People, but also take it a step further by unironically beating them at their own, stupid RP-meta. Players do have some agency, but it is really only in aggregate and when it does not directly conflict with FDev's vision.

If that's the kind of thing that interests you, you should :getin:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

drat all these rumors have me extra excited to do extra sexy Spacemans stuff.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Elite's brown sea is fuckin' terrible. It's all forumdads who get pissy when an NPC interdict them, calling it griefing.

I don't really give a poo poo about player agency, all I play elite for is one simple thing: To fly in a space ship and make other space ships go BOOM. And it does that really, really well. Especially with the new engineer stuff, now that it's not a ball crushing grind, you can really do some amazing things to your ships. Which helps me, again, make other ships go BOOM.

I also really like the improved AI, as well. It's actually really satisfying to dunk on an Elite ranked ship, because they fight hard, use their modules, and have upgrades.

Agreed about the AI and especially the engineers. The RNG is annoying, but the reduced material requirements have made it a non-issue for the most part. I've upgraded my anaconda with a bunch of overcharged multicannons with incendiary and corrosive rounds, a burst laser with scramble spectrum, and a frag cannon with double shot, plus upgraded power distributor, drives, shields, armor, FSD, etc. And even though most of my weapons are turreted, they quickly wreck poo poo (Thanks to the turret buff too). So I now have a fully upgraded combat ship that can still jump 30 ly. Now I need thargoids, so my dream of being an explorer and long range alien hunter can come true.

:spergin:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

FileNotFound posted:

ED community would never accept anything that they would feel would be 'gated' behind PvP even if they had zero interest in what was behind the gate.

Its not really about the community though, or parts of it. It is the developers themselves that don't want players to control the game. The idea behind E:D is that you - as a player - are put into a vast space dystopia of sorts, and you are simply a cog in the machine that grinds both lore and gameplay. They don't want to treat the player as a hero, an all powerful immortal (like EVE does), but simply as another solitary speck in the universe. And the universe does not really give a gently caress about you.

From the MMO perspective, that is bad of course, but then again this is not an MMO in the strict sense of the word. And it will never be, due to the way networking works (making rear end-hattery like combat logging impossible to curb, and having the option to segregate the playerbase into three distinct communities. Solo, coop and open). There is actually no way to play this game as a PVP MMO with an even playing field between the players.

For some people then, the whole idea of the game is pointless without them affecting it in the way they like. I fully understand that, and I can get behind it (I was an EVE player after all). But this is a very, very different game. And for all the wings, and factions, and powerplay etc etc, the scope has not really changed. And I don't want it personally to change either (I am weird though, I play this game like I played FFE, making characters and deleting them after their purpose is completed).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 17, 2016

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
The DBOBE isn't into players having control over territory, stations or organizations. Really early on he was asked about player orgs/territorial control and he compared in game player orgs to the mafia, he's not a fan and it (probably) won't happen.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

Rhubarb94 posted:

The DBOBE isn't into players having control over territory, stations or organizations. Really early on he was asked about player orgs/territorial control and he compared in game player orgs to the mafia, he's not a fan and it (probably) won't happen.

For a long time, I lamented the fact that this game does not have stronger player organization tools. But honestly, I do enjoy that you CAN play this solo, in any one of the game modes, and have a lot of fun doing whatever it is you want to do. Engineering upgrades have made it even more open to a solo play style, allowing you to get a ship, and upgrade it enough that you can do, with a challenge, content that was previously gated by needing a wing.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Ugh I shouldn't have waited this long to jump into the engineers stuff. Tried 5-6 different barnacle sites and they're all broken or guarded by capital ships. There's no meta alloys for sale on obsidian orbital so I'm going to have to fly back and get my combat ship or fly back and re-fit my exploring ship for combat which is still a 600LY round trip just for one commodity.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The video linked for 2.2 is private now

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

frank.club posted:

The video linked for 2.2 is private now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UssBtjEQ150

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Ugh I shouldn't have waited this long to jump into the engineers stuff. Tried 5-6 different barnacle sites and they're all broken or guarded by capital ships. There's no meta alloys for sale on obsidian orbital so I'm going to have to fly back and get my combat ship or fly back and re-fit my exploring ship for combat which is still a 600LY round trip just for one commodity.

I've never done any of the engineers stuff, but want to give it all a run to get some upgrades. Is there a guide to where to go and what to do and what the rewards are? Or do I just go to them on my galaxy map in-game and live the whole mystery? I'm good with either, to be honest.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

The what?

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

I had to look this up, but DBOBE is David Braben Officer of the Order of the British Empire

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
oops

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's a knighthood, in laymens terms.

He got knighted for services to the computer and video games industry in 2014 (not just for games, he's also one of the founders of the Raspberry Pi Foundation).

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Dante80 posted:

Its not really about the community though, or parts of it. It is the developers themselves that don't want players to control the game. The idea behind E:D is that you - as a player - are put into a vast space dystopia of sorts, and you are simply a cog in the machine that grinds both lore and gameplay. They don't want to treat the player as a hero, an all powerful immortal (like EVE does), but simply as another solitary speck in the universe. And the universe does not really give a gently caress about you.

From the MMO perspective, that is bad of course, but then again this is not an MMO in the strict sense of the word. And it will never be, due to the way networking works (making rear end-hattery like combat logging impossible to curb, and having the option to segregate the playerbase into three distinct communities. Solo, coop and open). There is actually no way to play this game as a PVP MMO with an even playing field between the players.

For some people then, the whole idea of the game is pointless without them affecting it in the way they like. I fully understand that, and I can get behind it (I was an EVE player after all). But this is a very, very different game. And for all the wings, and factions, and powerplay etc etc, the scope has not really changed. And I don't want it personally to change either (I am weird though, I play this game like I played FFE, making characters and deleting them after their purpose is completed).

I'm weird as well, probably because of having to PVP in real life everyday at work. Going home to a serene / boring routine of exploring / trading / bounty hunting cause you can is quite the escape.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
OK so my HOTAS doesn't work so I was wondering if this game is worth playing with keyboard and mouse, or if a HOTAS is basically required.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

FileNotFound posted:

ED is big enough to be both - just like EVE can be played just fine without ever doing PvP.

There is no reason for why some of the uninhabited areas of ED space cannot be allowed to be controlled by players. You do not have to be a part of that just like you never have to venture into low sec in EVE let alone 0.0.

Isn't a PVP-gated zone basically what CQC is? Now Frontier only has to add base building to it and done! :v:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

MC2552John posted:

OK so my HOTAS doesn't work so I was wondering if this game is worth playing with keyboard and mouse, or if a HOTAS is basically required.

Most people play with keyboard and mouse and it's really good. A friend plays with a 360 controller and really likes that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Video is private :( I want to get hyped.

• Locked thread