Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
So has anyone ever made up a games console, then made an emulator for it and made games based on the hardware limitations of the made up console?

Like the imaginary console would have some set specs that you cannot go over (like having 4 kB of RAM, or being able to only display 8 sprites)

Because I was just thinking how restrictions like those are partially the reason why programmers had to do tricks that then later turned into glitches that for example enable sequence breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Wheany posted:

So has anyone ever made up a games console, then made an emulator for it and made games based on the hardware limitations of the made up console?

Like the imaginary console would have some set specs that you cannot go over (like having 4 kB of RAM, or being able to only display 8 sprites)

Because I was just thinking how restrictions like those are partially the reason why programmers had to do tricks that then later turned into glitches that for example enable sequence breaking.

I feel like you're overestimating how many glitches result from intentional programmer shortcuts as opposed to unintentional programmer mistakes and unintended consequences of intentional design decisions.
There's probably a lot less "let's stick this guy on this roof, nobody will find him there" and a lot more "oops, I forgot to re-enable the player hitbox if it's disabled while they open a key item chest" and "we designed it so the player is knocked away if they take damage. It never came up in testing, but it turns out they can skip this entire level by getting hit while jumping right here".
I mean, it's not like glitches are exclusive, or even more common, in more resource-limited games.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Wheany posted:

That's Pico8, pretty much.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

wayfinder posted:

That's Pico8, pretty much.

Oh, that's cool

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Klades posted:

I feel like you're overestimating how many glitches result from intentional programmer shortcuts as opposed to unintentional programmer mistakes and unintended consequences of intentional design decisions.
There's probably a lot less "let's stick this guy on this roof, nobody will find him there" and a lot more "oops, I forgot to re-enable the player hitbox if it's disabled while they open a key item chest" and "we designed it so the player is knocked away if they take damage. It never came up in testing, but it turns out they can skip this entire level by getting hit while jumping right here".
I mean, it's not like glitches are exclusive, or even more common, in more resource-limited games.
"Let's stick this guy on this roof" isn't categorically different from ending a mission when the player enters a zone or talks to an NPC even if they didn't complete the preceding encounter. They're both done by finding ways around what were supposed to be physical constraints in the world design.

Hardware restrictions usually have the opposite effect though. Sequence breaks come from faults in the programming or design, which are more likely as the game becomes more complicated. Constrained hardware leads to more restrictive design. 16-bit era games often required frame-precise actions to abuse physics glitches, later 3D games introduced huge amounts of skips from just going too fast, and now every other speedrun is finding ways to get completely outside of the level. This isn't a coincidence.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Wheany posted:

Yep. You can try any of the games and programs I wrote for Mako from your browser.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Internet Janitor posted:

Yep. You can try any of the games and programs I wrote for Mako from your browser.

I have never had an original thought :smith:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Wheany posted:

Chip8 is pretty much what you are asking about - a simple game console that was invented so an emulator could be made for it, and then games for that emulator. Except it was created in 1977 and the limitations of the Chip8 machine were mostly driven by the limitations of the host computer (originally COSMAC VIP). Internet Janitor made a great web-IDE for Chip8, too.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Wheany posted:

I have never had an original thought :smith:

It wasn't an original idea when I came up with it, either- I just took the experiment a lot further than most people do.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

i just barely know enough CG/opengl to be dangerous:
http://zippy.gfycat.com/NeglectedAdorableDogwoodtwigborer.webm

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Typoed my 2D rotation code. I broke trigonometry.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

*cues up also sprach zarathustra*

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"my god, it's full of copperbars…"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

Seems fine to me. I mean, it gets there.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

*cues up also sprach zarathustra*
I was thinking more Koyaanisquatsi - The Grid Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmsTZAF1F-o

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

When ya give yo boss a special attack but he aint flexible enough for it

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Didn't crash or take like 3 hours longer than usual to render. So I gotta give this a D- for breaking. Try harder next time.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Doing live asset reloading for game Im working on, there are some bugs to iron out...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Manslaughter posted:

When ya give yo boss a special attack but he aint flexible enough for it

you could just rename the special move to "roll around like a dumbass"

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
No so much a bug as user error as the game worked exactly as it should have!

https://twitter.com/GhostCrabGames/status/766086244023623680

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

hmmmmm

e:

getting somewhere? Kind of?

netcat fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 19, 2016

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I think this baddy wasn't expecting this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaR4UuMr7-I

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I mean maybe it looks like a teapot if you squint at the bottom hard enough.

better...

Hmm, I don't think that one is quite right.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 25, 2016

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
My finest work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9zzeuqWUU4

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Obsurveyor posted:

Not really my glitch, Unity is retargeting the animation to another rig and flipping the feet or something. I can't figure out why the animation only works with the original model when Mecanim Humanoid avatars should take care of weirdness like this.

Not mine but I that reminded me of this.

https://twitter.com/crypticsea/status/586637266409230336

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 30, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Some walls are invisible when viewed through windows.

:shrug:

Edit: man, it's clearly time to just stop and go to bed. It took me a half hour to realize I'd broken my depth sorting code.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 30, 2016

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
https://fat.gfycat.com/DifficultIncompatibleIbisbill.webm

:doh:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Looks good to me. A ghost possesses one of the players, runs around for a bit trying to figure out how limbs work, gives up, and then tries and gives up on four other guys in rapid succession, while everyone else just stares blankly and tries to pretend everything is normal.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Forgot to reset a player isRagdoll or something? Can't really tell.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

It's mostly that you can still move around and knock guys over after you, yourself, are knocked over. I haven't done anything to reset them, yet, so that's expected. I need to make a state machine or something to control when you're allowed to move, or collect the puck or try to hit a guy, because right now it's just using timers and it feels really fragile.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ghost out of the shell

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

replication.jpg?

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Heh, not yet. I haven't even tested ragdolls multiplayer yet. I'm sure that'll have all sorts of strangeness of its own.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

ZombieApostate posted:

Heh, not yet. I haven't even tested ragdolls multiplayer yet. I'm sure that'll have all sorts of strangeness of its own.

We usually just turn off ragdoll replication if it's not gameplay critical -- lots of data to send. The ragdoll you see doesn't need to be the exact ragdoll anyone else sees. Usually.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

It's a hockey game, so that complicates things a bit. :v:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

It's technically a tonemapping, I suppose.

It should look like this:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Well, I mean, it technically repositions the blitter object...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So is Keyboard his first or last name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911: