Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I am going to update the PTS thing this time around and I suggest others do the same. Going to break this thing right out of the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I just hope this power draw thing doesn't break twist-boom-twist uber brawlers like the Atlas-S or Spirit Bear

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Pattonesque posted:

I just hope this power draw thing doesn't break twist-boom-twist uber brawlers like the Atlas-S or Spirit Bear

Oh right. It probably will. Welp.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

Can't you solve this by giving heavier classes more power to draw from?

maybe they will, maybe they wont.

It just dawned on me that the 2xuac10 + 2xuac5 kodiak is indeed dead with this change.
Welcome our new overlord, the 3xuac10 kodiak.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

maybe they will, maybe they wont.

It just dawned on me that the 2xuac10 + 2xuac5 kodiak is indeed dead with this change.
Welcome our new overlord, the 3xuac10 kodiak.

(2x10)+(2x5) = 3x10

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

(2x10)+(2x5) = 3x10

4 guns weight and space =/= 3 guns weight and space
also no synchup and no mixed ammo.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 17, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The Mauler that had it all:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

The Mauler that had it all:

this is basically a Huggin bolted on top of a lovely Catapult

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Yolomon Wayne posted:

4 guns weight and space =/= 3 guns weight and space
also no synchup and no mixed ammo.

Yes. Though I guess you can already run a 400XL with 2x UAC/10 and 2x UAC/5. So it's not like one is strapped for tonnage. Going for triple UAC/10 would have the advantage of making room for a bigger t-comp. For even faster projectiles. Or one could add some ER Small Lasers for added short range punch. I'm sorry for triggering some of you. Don't be :pgabz: levels of :argh:I'm lied, I'm not sorry.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

RIP using SRM6's. 3 of them is 38 damage. Also RIP the LBX kodiak, aka the one thats not as good as the 2x10,2x5 UAC version.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Great Beer posted:

RIP using SRM6's. 3 of them is 38 damage. Also RIP the LBX kodiak, aka the one thats not as good as the 2x10,2x5 UAC version.

They might actually reduce their draw to damage ratio. And do the same for other "inaccurate" weapons. Though they're also talking about increasing the dmg of LB-X pellets 8 or increasing the number of pellets.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Great Beer posted:

hopefully they'll make SRM damage count as half damage or something in their calculations

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

as i said, rumor has it scatter-weapons like srms or lbx cannons most likely do not count their full potential damage towards the cap.
dont know if that includes lrms.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

as i said, rumor has it scatter-weapons like srms or lbx cannons most likely do not count their full potential damage towards the cap.
dont know if that includes lrms.

So the new system is "extra heat over 30 damage except in these cases which will interact with the normal use cases in unusual ways and make the system completely impenetrable to the average user". Yeah, paul was involved here.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Great Beer posted:

So the new system is "extra heat over 30 damage except in these cases which will interact with the normal use cases in unusual ways and make the system completely impenetrable to the average user". Yeah, paul was involved here.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Great Beer posted:

It's OK, most MWO players haven't mastered difficult concepts like 'object permanence' yet.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Maybe we could wait to find out how this new system sucks before tearing out our hair about how much it sucks.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Cease to Hope posted:

Maybe we could wait to find out how this new system sucks before tearing out our hair about how much it sucks.

Vorfreude ist die schönste Freude. Weit vor Schadenfreude.
I think we ought to get to do a bit of pre hair pulling. If it turns out to be a well thought out system, we can't do that anymore. I mean we'd look like fools. But considering I'm going to buy a mech pack...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cease to Hope posted:

:catstare:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I've somehow drifted into playing a 4xPPC Catapult, an AC20/2xPPC Marauder, and a 2xAC20/2xPPC King Crab. I dearly miss the crazy damage values from when I was running SRMs and LRMs all day, but drat does it feel good to fell Kodiaks left and right.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I for one, do not give two shits about the new system they're going to force on the game.

Because Dishonored 2, Battletech, Space Hulk : Deathwing, Battlefront 1, etc are all around the loving corner.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Oh man the public queue :negative:

You are guaranteed to get 3 or 4 LRM boaters on your team per match. Everybody picks polar, alpine, frozen. Also having pubs mad because nobody will hold locks.

I gave up trying to run battlemasters. I switched to just the regular old standby 6spl cheeta, started raking in kills, gorged myself on tender butt meat

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

to be a bit fair if the ghost heat replacement has an actual parsable UI element associated with it it will already be 150% better than ghost heat. And I do like weapon diversity and longer TTK, for all that I doubt they'll improve it with their new system.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

sebmojo posted:

to be a bit fair if the ghost heat replacement has an actual parsable UI element associated with it it will already be 150% better than ghost heat. And I do like weapon diversity and longer TTK, for all that I doubt they'll improve it with their new system.

Ghost heat has a vague warning indicator in the mechlab, same as 'you forgot ammo' and 'you forgot armor', along with other helpful indicators. It's not explained, they just warn you about it.

I'm not hopeful for the new system but I'm not sure it'll be worse. I really don't want to install firecontrol, as I like alt tabbing, and I'm not a huge fan of external tools.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

This would be a perfectly reasonable stance except for the entirety of PGI's resume' with respect to game balance mechanics.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

This would be a perfectly reasonable stance except for the entirety of PGI's resume' with respect to game balance mechanics.

I didn't say anything about it being good. In fact, I said the opposite. Everyone is losing their poo poo about the version of the system that exists only in their fevered imagination, even so.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Ghost heat has a vague warning indicator in the mechlab, same as 'you forgot ammo' and 'you forgot armor', along with other helpful indicators. It's not explained, they just warn you about it.

I'm not hopeful for the new system but I'm not sure it'll be worse. I really don't want to install firecontrol, as I like alt tabbing, and I'm not a huge fan of external tools.

Yeah, i meant something that shows your 'energy' or w/e depleting as you fire. They could have easily done that with a popup HEAT SPIKE announcement when you triggered ghost heat, but :pgi:

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I know its :pgi:, but isn't heat normally the thing that stops you from firing all your weapons at once? Why can't they just use a combination of modifying weapon heat and lowering the max heat to get the behavior they desire?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ardlen posted:

I know its :pgi:, but isn't heat normally the thing that stops you from firing all your weapons at once? Why can't they just use a combination of modifying weapon heat and lowering the max heat to get the behavior they desire?

Because no amount of tweaking alpha damage can fix the core problems with MWO.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I haven't played since I got the Marauder and realized I didn't enjoy the stupid thing at all. Is the game worth me actually updating or can I safely uninstall again.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Colon Semicolon posted:

I haven't played since I got the Marauder and realized I didn't enjoy the stupid thing at all. Is the game worth me actually updating or can I safely uninstall again.

I find it fun to shoot robutts and I think you will too when you find the mech you like :mrgw:.

E: Get on mumble and play with gooons too. Pubbies are always awful.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 18, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Colon Semicolon posted:

The marauder is a pretty good robutt. If you don't enjoy that, then yeah,d on't play this game.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

WHooooooooooooooops totally missed the assault sale

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/LzuT9G4.png

Big chart of data on the recent weight class events. The victor performed worse than the ice ferret.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Great Beer posted:

http://i.imgur.com/LzuT9G4.png

Big chart of data on the recent weight class events. The victor performed worse than the ice ferret.

JFC the panthers outperformed the PHX's :psyduck:

What's worse is I believe it. The Cicada is god mode compared to a PHX.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cease to Hope posted:

Because no amount of tweaking alpha damage can fix the core problems with MWO.

Especially since you can sidestep most if not all heat issues by, get this, not alpha striking. Don't even need a third party app to do it to, chainfire/weapon groups and a little skill are all you need.
Total damage versus total health is the core issue that they'd have to solve and they can't make everyone happy no matter what solution they think up to the problem, it's a subjective issue.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

EponymousMrYar posted:

Especially since you can sidestep most if not all heat issues by, get this, not alpha striking. Don't even need a third party app to do it to, chainfire/weapon groups and a little skill are all you need.
Total damage versus total health is the core issue that they'd have to solve and they can't make everyone happy no matter what solution they think up to the problem, it's a subjective issue.

This.

Hell it's not hard to find a nice ergonomic mouse with multiple buttons on it and just use more than 2 fire groups.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Even with just two buttons, all you need to do is learn the cadence of what .5s is, and then you can do it reliably all the time.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

DancingShade posted:

Hell it's not hard to find a nice ergonomic mouse with multiple buttons on it and just use more than 2 fire groups.

But they look weird.

I play @50-80% not-sober. Not "% of time in game", but instead, "level of basic fuctionality".

How is manual dexterity going to help me then, smart guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Nerfing alpha strikes makes Xv1 worse, because a shooter who doesn't need to protect themself can go through whatever contortions necessary while someone trying to attack while escaping or mitigating incoming fire is more likely to gently caress up (or just not bother trying to shoot back at all).

But no. The problem is not "total damage versus total health". Changing alpha strike sizes or damage:health ratios can't fix the problems in MWO's core design. Design decisions like ablative HP, one life per drop, or limited ability to shoot and scoot cause MWO to be as miserable as it is, and they aren't negotiable.

e: Test server for energy draw goes up at 3PM today. Presumably Vancouver time.

e2: If you want to test the patch, download the Test Client. It probably doesn't yet have the ghost energy version of the game, but patching up to the new version will be faster than downloading the whole thing.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 18, 2016

• Locked thread