Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

photomikey posted:

Always assume ignorance before assuming nefarious intent. If I had a dollar for every tenant who called me, yelling and crying, saying "my air conditioning has been hosed up for a year!", I could buy another house.

Call the guy, tell him you feel like the install wasn't done right, there's cool air blowing out everywhere, and could he have somebody come out and take a look. Remember, your landlord doesn't live in your basement with the A/C, he lives 10 miles away. He has no idea your A/C is leaking... unless you tell him.

WTF is this? Who's yelling and crying? I was just asking if a brand new AC is a big deal or something I should just wrap up with tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Tell your landlord it wasn't done right and ask him to have someone come look at it.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Human Tornada posted:

WTF is this? Who's yelling and crying? I was just asking if a brand new AC is a big deal or something I should just wrap up with tape.

pretty sure s/he wasn't talking about you specifically, mister touchy

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
So I'm hunting for an apartment to live in. I'm already using PadMapper, CL and such, but I have a question about PadMapper. How important is the age of listings? Has there been cases of listings being posted 60 days ago, but are still legit? Just wondering if I should go for every apartment possible or go by this number and filter out certain listings.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

rngd in the womb posted:

So I'm hunting for an apartment to live in. I'm already using PadMapper, CL and such, but I have a question about PadMapper. How important is the age of listings? Has there been cases of listings being posted 60 days ago, but are still legit? Just wondering if I should go for every apartment possible or go by this number and filter out certain listings.

Depends on the area. I'm sure some are just people neglecting to remove the ad after rental. Where I live if an ad was up for 60 days and live then there would have to be something seriously wrong with the place.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

rngd in the womb posted:

Usually anyone advertising on CL would repost their ad once a week so that it stays at the top of the listings. If an ad has been up for 60 days the place is likely already filled and the owner forgot to take the ad down.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Alright, thanks! Apartment hunting is hell, though. Only got two showings out of the 15+ numbers that I've called but that's better than nothing at all.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm not sure whether this belongs here or the legal questions thread. Is it possible for a lease to supercede state laws? The property management company at my old place is saying that some property that I told the maintenance guy I was coming back for was assumed to be abandoned and probably disposed of. The thing is that Colorado law says that before disposing of abandoned property, you have to give 15 days notice. I don't have a copy of the lease with me, so I'm not sure if there is something in there that says they can get rid of it immediately. If there is, is that valid?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Probably not. If it's worth less than $7,500, sue them in small claims court and find out. If they offer to settle, do so. They can charge you for the time they stored your things, possibly for the disposal of your things, and for other breeches of the lease if you moved out in dispute. These charges may outgrow the worth of your property.

Whether you go to court or just deal with the property, be brief, be reasonable, don't be emotional, and get to the point.

Read this:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/handling-tenants-abandoned-property-colorado.html

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that's what I thought. Hopefully the charges won't be too much. I did call them the same day I moved out about it, and I've been bugging them about it for the past week, so hopefully if it comes down to it I can argue that they have been delaying the process of me getting it back.

I would say odds are good they just took all of it to the dump, which would mean no storage costs.

It's a lawnmower, vacuum, weed whacker, and other assorted house and yard maintenance supplies, so it is worth a few hundred dollars.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Anyone know the best way to mount a large silk fan? I have one my Oma gave to me that I'd like to hang in our spare bedroom. I tried putting it up with 9 pieces of mounting tape, but it fell down. Then I tried with 19 pieces of mounting tape, but it fell down again. I don't really know how these things are supposed to be mounted.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought. Hopefully the charges won't be too much. I did call them the same day I moved out about it, and I've been bugging them about it for the past week, so hopefully if it comes down to it I can argue that they have been delaying the process of me getting it back.

I would say odds are good they just took all of it to the dump, which would mean no storage costs.

It's a lawnmower, vacuum, weed whacker, and other assorted house and yard maintenance supplies, so it is worth a few hundred dollars.

A lot of this will be open to a judge's interpretation. Even though the law says they have to hold it for 15 days, the management company may argue that you waived that in the contract, freedom of contract, etc. Things aren't always cut and dry. And a judge may not be sympathetic to someone that didn't bother moving all their stuff out when they were supposed to. Definitely talk to them and see if they'll do something for you, but I wouldn't be super optimistic if it has to go to court.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nessa posted:

Anyone know the best way to mount a large silk fan? I have one my Oma gave to me that I'd like to hang in our spare bedroom. I tried putting it up with 9 pieces of mounting tape, but it fell down. Then I tried with 19 pieces of mounting tape, but it fell down again. I don't really know how these things are supposed to be mounted.

Obviously you need to try it with 29 pieces of mounting tape.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Nessa posted:

How big is the fan? It is a big display piece, you are probably going to want to use one or more hooks or other mounting hardware. I am going to guess that part of your problem is that the mounting tape isn't designed to hang anything other than paper/poster to a wall.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A lot of this will be open to a judge's interpretation. Even though the law says they have to hold it for 15 days, the management company may argue that you waived that in the contract, freedom of contract, etc. Things aren't always cut and dry. And a judge may not be sympathetic to someone that didn't bother moving all their stuff out when they were supposed to. Definitely talk to them and see if they'll do something for you, but I wouldn't be super optimistic if it has to go to court.

Okay. I ended up posting in the legal thread already, hopefully someone there will know about Colorado's contract laws. Hopefully the fact that I put everything in an out of the way location, told the maintenance guy I would be back, and was back the same day would make a difference if I took it to court. The maintenance guy even said I was fine to come back later, so I was working with them, but there's no actual evidence that he said it was okay for me to come back, and he doesn't have the power to make a binding oral contract either, I would think.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
What date were you supposed to be out, what date did you do the "I'll be back later today" thing with the maintenance man, and if it wasn't the maintenance man who took the stuff to the dump, who the hell was it? There are gaping holes in this story. The whole story will come out in court. If it's not going to make you look good, consider that before you pursue it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was supposed to be out by noon on the 31st, they let me stay a little late getting the last few boxes out around 1 while the maintenance guy did checkout. I told the maintenance guy at that time I would come back shortly. It was raining as I left, so I didn't come back until around 6PM on the 31st, the same day. They hire cleaners separately from the normal maintenance crew. I probably should have come back earlier despite the rain, but I didn't think it was going to be a problem since the maintenance man seemed completely unconcerned about it, and the cleaners didn't have anything to do where I had put the stuff outside.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If that's the story, you're probably in the clear.

Treat it like a misunderstanding, not malicious. The landlord didn't throw away your poo poo, the cleaning people did, presumably with no direction from the management. It's been 8 days, the cleaning people probably still have your poo poo, just try and approach it with "I just want my stuff back and I'll leave you alone" and not quoting their responsibilities under the law.

Then, if that doesn't work, sue the poo poo out of them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I don't think it was malicious at all. I've told the people in the office that I think it was just a communication breakdown between maintenance and cleaners. Judging by their response, though, I think the cleaners might have tossed the stuff immediately and now the property management people are trying to avoid paying for the hundred dollar lawnmower, hundred dollar vacuum, and unknown value weed whacker. I'm also concerned they are going to try to take the charge for hauling that stuff off out of my deposit.

I'm going to try to find the contract tonight, if that fails I'll get a copy on lunch tomorrow.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Ashcans posted:

How big is the fan? It is a big display piece, you are probably going to want to use one or more hooks or other mounting hardware. I am going to guess that part of your problem is that the mounting tape isn't designed to hang anything other than paper/poster to a wall.

It's a few feet wide. Other websites have shown that they can be mounted using mounting tape and I'm not sure what kind of hooks I would need, or if specialty hooks exist for this kind of thing.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Nessa posted:

It's a few feet wide. Other websites have shown that they can be mounted using mounting tape and I'm not sure what kind of hooks I would need, or if specialty hooks exist for this kind of thing.

Something like this to set it on?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not sure whether this belongs here or the legal questions thread. Is it possible for a lease to supercede state laws? The property management company at my old place is saying that some property that I told the maintenance guy I was coming back for was assumed to be abandoned and probably disposed of. The thing is that Colorado law says that before disposing of abandoned property, you have to give 15 days notice. I don't have a copy of the lease with me, so I'm not sure if there is something in there that says they can get rid of it immediately. If there is, is that valid?

Contact a lawyer, not a bunch of goons

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I don't think it was malicious at all. I've told the people in the office that I think it was just a communication breakdown between maintenance and cleaners. Judging by their response, though, I think the cleaners might have tossed the stuff immediately and now the property management people are trying to avoid paying for the hundred dollar lawnmower, hundred dollar vacuum, and unknown value weed whacker. I'm also concerned they are going to try to take the charge for hauling that stuff off out of my deposit.

I'm going to try to find the contract tonight, if that fails I'll get a copy on lunch tomorrow.
The cleaning people have your poo poo. I guarantee it.

edit: actually, we are in day 8, now day 9. It was at the pawn shop or on Craigslist or at the swap meet 5 minutes after they got home from cleaning your place on the 31st. It may have sold now. But I'm telling you right now there's no way they threw away a lawnmower, a weed whacker, and a vacuum cleaner into a trashcan. Not because of their inherent value, but because they won't fit, and they are not ingenious enough to find a dumpster or drive them to the dump. Trust me. I have experience in these things.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 9, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jeoh posted:

Contact a lawyer, not a bunch of goons

I might eventually depending on how things go. I wouldn't be surprised if a lawyer would be more money than he/she would be worth. I was hoping this was a clear, cut and dry issue.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I was pointed in the direction of this thread for questions about renting. Of course, I didn't find out it existed until after running into a problem, but hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

I rented in Oklahoma for a few years while working a contract. It was a mostly okay experience - important things got done, but minor stuff would take forever to fix, if it was done at all. I was busy with work and just enough of a slob that I didn't give enough of a poo poo to do anything about it, but I recently moved and am being told that my deposit is being held because of nebulous damages to walls and surfaces. I was also shown a section of lease that implies that I will be held liable for the final bill, but have not yet asked for clarification to that effect since I want to find out more about what my rights actually are.

My kid did a number on the paint in her room, which I'm willing to eat the cost of out of fairness, but I'm told that a full repainting needs to be done despite touching up all walls beforehand. Same for the wood surfaces - there are small dings and scratches from the previous decade of occupancy, but I touched up what I could and left it in better condition than I found it. Aside from dents to doorframes left by movers, the only damage I couldn't do anything about was either preexisting or beyond our control - in my case, bathroom cupboards damaged by the sun after years in front of an eastern facing window. Repainting and refinishing surfaces seems like routine maintenance to me (ie, not due to neglect or wilful action), but I can't find any legal definition of 'fair wear and tear' in that state.

Any advice, goons? I'm willing to forego the security deposit if it comes down to it since a) it's not worth my time, and b) I don't want to engage in any protracted legal dickery. The landlord is an amateur, so I was inclined to think it's a case of ignorance over malfeasance, but after talking to the previous tenant and hearing a similar story I don't know what to think.

e. a word

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 9, 2016

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I think the general rule is that they can't hold back your security deposit for normal wear and tear, only for excessive damage. If you took any pictures before you moved in that could help.

As you said, it's a pain in the rear end sometimes to get back your security deposit, especially if you're now out of state, so it may not be worth the effort. Landlords tend to rely on this and know most people won't fight it. If this guy is just an amateur, then maybe paying a lawyer a couple hundred to write a sternly worded letter demanding it back might convince him.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Mocking Bird posted:

Something like this to set it on?

That could potentially work! Either that, or a really narrow shelf.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Wring thread.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Hey goons, I'm in need of an inspector in the NW Indiana area. Looking to buy a condo in Griffith :)
I was about to ask my realtor when I remembered this thread saying that was a terrible idea.
Thanks for any suggestions!!

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

CeramicPig posted:

Hey goons, I'm in need of an inspector in the NW Indiana area. Looking to buy a condo in Griffith :)
I was about to ask my realtor when I remembered this thread saying that was a terrible idea.
Thanks for any suggestions!!

Check out the house buying thread in BFC!

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Mocking Bird posted:

Check out the house buying thread in BFC!

Ah thank you!! I couldn't remember where it was

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What, if anything, should I expect to eventually be able to salvage from an apartment that:
  • Flooded with mud/water from 2-24" by room.
  • Was all tile flooring, no carpeting.
  • Was drained/scrubbed within 48 hours.
  • Has had power off and on, but no AC.
  • Has a fridge/freezer full of the absolute most perishable items.
  • Will be sealed for over a month.

I assume any metal furnishings, maybe some wood furnishings, pending mold inspection. Glassware and tableware?

I figure the bed, any pressboard furnishings, any clothes, most electronics are a lost cause?

I'm trying to estimate what I will need to replace and what I might be able to salvage so I don't buy anything in duplicate at my new place (wherever that ends up being).

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
You poor thing, I am so sorry for your loss of home and belongings. The tale Marketing New Brain painted for us of the flood was terrifying.

Anything you could put through a dishwasher will probably be fine. Things that were non-permeable and significantly above the flood line have a good chance too. I wouldn't count on furniture, clothing, books, or anything below knee level storage.

Metal furnishings may be ok, but ambient moisture could cause rust and mold and deterioration.

You may be surprised and more things than you imagine may survive - I advise living simply in the meantime.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Can I ask why it gets sealed for a month?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SEKCobra posted:

Can I ask why it gets sealed for a month?

It's structurally unsafe and that's the estimate they gave me on repairs before I can get back in.

For instance, we had another storm Monday night and the porch (my only entrance) fell off into a sinkhole.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you have renter's insurance?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Don't you need Flood Insurance for flood damage? I don't really know where the handoff is to Renters Insurance.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Renters insurance doesn't cover floods.

Flood insurance is prohibitively expensive and, from neighborhood reports, is being denied payment because "the water needs to be high enough to flood the basement and come back out the front door or it doesn't count."

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If you can get in there and salvage your stuff, I would expect a lot of stuff to survive. If you leave it in there for a month, I would expect a lot of stuff to be rotten by the time you get it out.

It's unclear to me the state of things right now. If the place was cleaned and scrubbed and then sealed, you're in the clear. But why wasn't the fridge emptied? But if the place was muddy/wet and sealed, I would expect not only everything the water touched to be ruined, but also things way about the waterline, like your entire wardrobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

photomikey posted:

It's unclear to me the state of things right now. If the place was cleaned and scrubbed and then sealed, you're in the clear. But why wasn't the fridge emptied?

Because my landlord is actually a family that owns the truck repair business behind me and happens to rent out the houses that they also own in the area. They mean well, but sometimes the dim brother makes decisions that don't end well (like when they sealed a bird's nest in my vents after I mentioned that it was in there and it stunk up the whole place).