Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Discendo Vox posted:

Don't cite to Russia Today.

But then how will we know Dear Leader's thoughts on American law?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RT is the direct mouthpiece of the Kremlin and absolutely nothing produced by them should be taken at face value without other sources. My current struggle is explaining to berniebros why RT is a bad source of info of how Clinton rigged the primary against Bernie.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

BiohazrD posted:

Why don't we just say gently caress districts all together? Take the number of seats and if the split is 50% D 50% R give half to the Democratic party to assign and half to the Republican party to assign.

Most people are trying to aim for more representative, not less. Giving sole power to decide elected officials to two small non-representative, not necessarily democratic groups seems... not that. Saying "gently caress districts altogether" might be part of a better plan, but "just let the party bosses decide who makes up the government, screw what the public thinks" does not.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mors Rattus posted:

Listen to a Trump speech

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Most people are trying to aim for more representative, not less. Giving sole power to decide elected officials to two small non-representative, not necessarily democratic groups seems... not that. Saying "gently caress districts altogether" might be part of a better plan, but "just let the party bosses decide who makes up the government, screw what the public thinks" does not.

Yeah that's a good point, but I'm not really sure how you get there. You could have people run for the seat as a member of the party but if you constrain who can vote for them geographically then, congratulations you just recreated districts.

The other option is to put everyone who runs on the same statewide ballot. You'd have a lot of candidates changing their names to "Aaron Aardvark"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mors Rattus posted:

Just follow Wikileaks and Julian Assange on Twitter.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

EwokEntourage posted:

First Liberty (formerly the Liberty institute)
American center for law & justice

Prove it however you want, I got my smug satisfaction to keep me warm at night

You can be smug after the 8th circuit rejects the appeal. Seriously, though, do you honestly believe the IRS is in the business of evaluating organization's claims of being a religion?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Keeshhound posted:

You can be smug after the 8th circuit rejects the appeal. Seriously, though, do you honestly believe the IRS is in the business of evaluating organization's claims of being a religion?

As it pertains to Title 26 of the USC....yes?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just because it’s a religion doesn’t mean it’s tax exempt.

The IRS can reject tax exempt status without declaring “that isn’t a religion”.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are there examples where the IRS has said that something was tax exempt as a religious organization, but another part of gov't held that it wasn't a real religion?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GlyphGryph posted:

Have the party members elect the slate of candidates representing the party in the primary through preference based voting. The candidates get ranked from most to least preferred and get seated in that order based on the number of seats the party wins.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Potato Salad posted:

Would it still be as bad, however, as "this fish-hook-attached-to-a-firetruck-with-the-ladder-extended is my district" gerrymandering? Cities kinda lumping together liberal voters and large swaths of countryside lumping together conservative voters still sounds very representative as there isn't an intentionally, precisely-tuned border that puts safe-but-close wins in some districts and large losses in others.

The one you're probably thinking of from Chicago was specifically requested by its district members because that was the only way to get a Hispanic Representative in Congress.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm pretty sure NC and Virginia ...yeah the shapes I'm referring to are everywhere -- unless you mean there's a district that actually looks like a fire truck and ladder.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Mr. Nice! posted:

RT is the direct mouthpiece of the Kremlin and absolutely nothing produced by them should be taken at face value without other sources. My current struggle is explaining to berniebros why RT is a bad source of info of how Clinton rigged the primary against Bernie.

If they're still supporting Bernie, I'm not sure what there is to salvage there

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Keeshhound posted:

Lol almost wish I had picked before organizations to donate to but a guy arguing about religious freedom donating to the liberty institute is too good

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Discendo Vox posted:

Don't cite to Russia Today.

Russia Today is hilarious and without it I would never know about the glorious RedRussian Army and the dystopic hellhole that is America. It also comes in Arabic, German and Spanish flavors if you're working on another language.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

It was facetious in that you don't need to do that to get protections for your ideological identity, but you can absolutely declare whatever you want a religion. I can declare myself a worshiper of orange juice as a divine fluid, and as long as I don't harm or severely inconvenience anyone in the pursuit of my newfound faith, I will receive the exact same recognition and protections that a practicing catholic would. Namely, none, and if I could prove that I had been discriminated against for my beliefs, I could sue in the same circumstances the catholic could.

Good luck convincing a judge that it's a sincere, devoted religious belief and not some bullshit you made up to circumvent some rule or annoy someone.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

in retrospect, I feel bad about you giving money to the liberty institute, so please donate the remaining 50 to freedom from religion foundation to balance it out https://ffrf.org/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hold on, was this originally about tax exemption or the right to worship Kleenex and have a nice little meaningless nod of legitimacy from a tired [City Name Here] Federal Building employee with absolutely no bearing on your tax status? I think the goalposts have been moved.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Potato Salad posted:

I'm pretty sure NC and Virginia ...yeah the shapes I'm referring to are everywhere -- unless you mean there's a district that actually looks like a fire truck and ladder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois%27s_4th_congressional_district

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Hold on, was this originally about tax exemption or the right to worship Kleenex and have a nice little meaningless nod of legitimacy from a tired [City Name Here] Federal Building employee with absolutely no bearing on your tax status? I think the goalposts have been moved.

His contention was that you could declare yourself a worshipper of orange juice and then have all the same legal protections of the Catholic Church. I cited tax rulings as an example of courts determining the legitimacy of religious beliefs in relationship to legal rights

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

The key issue at play was his claim that the courts never ever differentiate between an actual religion and something someone is just claiming as a religion to avoid regulation/laws.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, which should tell you something about their merit. Think of it this way: which should be used, and why?

I don't think a politician (or group thereof) refusing to consider a solution to a problem is a valid reason to discount its merit at all. Please see the vast majority of healthcare, environmental, fiscal and social welfare policy that's currently in the mainstream among politicians in the US for examples.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

BiohazrD posted:

Yeah that's a good point, but I'm not really sure how you get there. You could have people run for the seat as a member of the party but if you constrain who can vote for them geographically then, congratulations you just recreated districts.

The other option is to put everyone who runs on the same statewide ballot. You'd have a lot of candidates changing their names to "Aaron Aardvark"
There are plenty of good ways to achieve proportional representation without requiring party bosses to select winners.

You can give everyone one single vote, but have more than one winner. (Single non-transferable vote)
You can give everyone multiple votes, and let them spread them out or dump them all on one candidate. (Cumulative voting)
You can give everyone a ranked ballot, and have excess votes for the winners spill over to second choices. (Single transferable vote)

None of these methods even require voters to declare explicit parties. There would be no need for primaries, since having "too many" candidates who agree with you doesn't break the election the way it does with only one winner.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Potato Salad posted:

Rephrased: we see lots of fish-hook-shapes gerrymanders as red states and blue states try to put wealthy white suburban doughnuts around cities into districts, and we see large pizza slices or meandering rivers where someone's trying to negate the blue weight of a city itself. Having the areas simply lumped separately without intentional, far-reaching blending borders seems more representative as it wouldn't be artificially imposing blended suburbanite/urbanite near-contest-but-safe districts that are the foundation of rigging by gerrymandering.

e: I am using lots of hyphens because I don't know what you actually call these things and am an amateur / outsider on this poo poo

double edit: am I being clear with my experimental vision? A state with a big city in the center and lots of conservative environs (let's take my state, Georgia) would have some very strong blue urban districts in the city area and lots of strong red districts elsewhere. The representatives in this situation would more precisely match the actual balance of blue and red voters as opposed to the VERY out-of-balance 10 red versus 4 blue status quo in federal House reps and two red senators. The state, by population, is much closer to 50-50 these days.
The wikipedia article on gerrymandering is actually pretty good. There are a whole lot of reforms that can make gerrymandering less bad by imposing various rules -- everything from requiring "compactness" to prohibiting the group from drawing it to have information about racial makeup.

But why stop or reduce gerrymandering? If we actually believe in representative democracy, then perhaps we should get rid of districts altogether and use a better method of selecting representatives.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Munkeymon posted:

I don't think a politician (or group thereof) refusing to consider a solution to a problem is a valid reason to discount its merit at all. Please see the vast majority of healthcare, environmental, fiscal and social welfare policy that's currently in the mainstream among politicians in the US for examples.

You're kinda missing my point here. Proportional representation systems are similarly ideologically and theoretically laden-it is no more objective than other approaches to the representation question.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 19, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Representative democracy is a poo poo show from first principles and you're all arguing over what shade of lipstick to put on this pig. Just embrace sortition as the true form of democratic governance and get on with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Geographic districts are literally the worst, at least when they’re used for both chambers of the legislature.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Discendo Vox posted:

You're kinda missing my point here. Proportional representation systems are similarly ideologically and theoretically laden-it is no more objective than other approaches to the representation question.

That's true, but if you establish some measures for what you want to achieve, you can at least prove a computer program fulfills them fairly and consistently, unlike a bunch of people going to town on a map with pencils.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

That's true, but if you establish some measures for what you want to achieve, you can at least prove a computer program fulfills them fairly and consistently, unlike a bunch of people going to town on a map with pencils.

The problem is never that the people don't fulfill their objectives fairly and consistently. It's that the objectives are themselves not fair.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Munkeymon posted:

Computers haven't really changed or improved things that much- objective ways of achieving different goals have been around for centuries. The underlying problem is that no one agrees on the measures for what is supposed to be achieved. That's the representation problem. The folks with pencils approach has the advantage of being an impermanent and openly imperfect answer to an unsolveable problem.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 20, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The classic example is inventing a religion to claim conscientious objector status to avoid the draft. Before the draft ended this happened all the time. It typically didn't work, because government officials aren't robots and can totally say "lol you just made that up." Even if it goes to court, judges can examine your lifestyle and see if it squares with the principles you claim to hold so dear.
This is perhaps not the best example, because there were districts where the draft boards wouldn't give CO status to members of the Religious Society of Friends, a.k.a. the Quakers, who have a 300-plus year history of pacifism. Draft boards were very much ZIP code lotteries, and draft board members weren't actually full-time government officials but were local appointees. There was no consistency between boards. Which nicely brings us around to why just relying on "common sense" doesn't get you very far in an organized legal system.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Kalman posted:

The problem is never that the people don't fulfill their objectives fairly and consistently. It's that the objectives are themselves not fair.

I'm sure you thought this was clever but it doesn't mean anything. The issue people in this thread seem to have with districts is that they don't accurately represent the preferences of the population. There are definitely issues with fulfilling this goal accurately and consistently. The problem is that these objectives aren't shared by everyone. If you could magically convince everyone to agree on their priorities it probably wouldn't be too difficult to find a workable solution.

Discendo Vox posted:

The folks with pencils approach has the advantage of being an impermanent and openly imperfect answer to an unsolvable problem.

This isn't an advantage, and this method carries the major disadvantage of openly biasing elections. Having an independent commission draw districts via whatever method is equally impermanent and imperfect but is no longer a directed effort by the party in power to retain power. Do you honestly think there are no possible improvements to be made?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yashichi posted:

I'm sure you thought this was clever but it doesn't mean anything. The issue people in this thread seem to have with districts is that they don't accurately represent the preferences of the population. There are definitely issues with fulfilling this goal accurately and consistently. The problem is that these objectives aren't shared by everyone. If you could magically convince everyone to agree on their priorities it probably wouldn't be too difficult to find a workable solution.

The concept of "accurately representing" is doing work in a bunch of illegitimate ways here. Again, there isn't a particular valid answer to this.

Yashichi posted:

This isn't an advantage, and this method carries the major disadvantage of openly biasing elections. Having an independent commission draw districts via whatever method is equally impermanent and imperfect but is no longer a directed effort by the party in power to retain power. Do you honestly think there are no possible improvements to be made?

The method matters. I have been arguing against the idea that a particular method of drawing districts is better or more fair. Setting aside the fact that not all forms of gerrymandering are illegal, the advantage of the current system is that its open variance and politicization means that one holds the false belief that it is objectively unbiased. All answers to the representation problem are political.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

The concept of "accurately representing" is doing work in a bunch of illegitimate ways here. Again, there isn't a particular valid answer to this.

Your "we can't have a perfect system ergo all systems are imperfect" is doing a lot of work here, specifically smearing together that there are more and less imperfect ways to do it. There are no compelling arguments for why gerrymandering so a minority can get a majority of the seats. There are many ways you can consider "accurately representing" the population and there's ones that are a lot more solid than others.

For example, a system where I represent the entire population and pass that right on to my heirs is, in a certain sense, somewhat representing the population. I cast the vote for the whole population, it's my job. But that's a lot more imperfect than gerrymandered districts, which is a lot more imperfect than systems that generally have some form of proportional representation or are more likely to award control to the genuine majority.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

All human systems of government are imperfect even in theory, so we may as well keep sacrificing virgins to the volcano god and interpreting His will in their entrails.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

All human systems of government are imperfect even in theory, so we may as well keep sacrificing virgins to the volcano god and interpreting His will in their entrails.
You of all people making this complaint is hilarious, when seven pages ago you were arguing that Supreme Court justices should dispense with the notion of neutrality because no person can truly be a neutral arbiter of the law.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Dead Reckoning posted:

You of all people making this complaint is hilarious, when seven pages ago you were arguing that Supreme Court justices should dispense with the notion of neutrality because no person can truly be a neutral arbiter of the law.

Believing that there is no perfectly neutral legal philosophy also means you should never strive to improve democracy? How in the gently caress did this sound remotely reasonable in your head?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Ten days ago, VS was arguing that jurisprudence was inherently political, and it was therefore acceptable for SC justices to have a nakedly partisan agenda because true neutrality can't exist and it's foolish to pretend otherwise. Today, DV is saying that the representation problem is inherently political and that we should abandon attempts to dress the process up as "neutral." VS thinks that's absurd.

Where is your realism now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Dead Reckoning posted:

Ten days ago, VS was arguing that jurisprudence was inherently political, and it was therefore acceptable for SC justices to have a nakedly partisan agenda because true neutrality can't exist and it's foolish to pretend otherwise. Today, DV is saying that the representation problem is inherently political and that we should abandon attempts to dress the process up as "neutral." VS thinks that's absurd.

Where is your realism now?

Yeah, I guess that is one interpretation.