Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
That barn is just packed with animals - a herd of Pygmy goats... and a jackass! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Johnny Walker posted:

Toni is a mystery, with no clues.
I hope you are ashamed.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

catlord posted:

What? What is this even supposed to mean? At least with most of the other dribbles this comic has you can kinda see what they're going for, but what is this supposed to be? Is like, the dream supposed to be about a world where Spiderman came out in the '90's and wasn't well received (based on the Carrot-headed guy whose name I can't remember, he was a '90's comic, right)? This is completely meaningless!

That's the Flaming Carrot, one of the better comics to come out of the '80s black-and-white glut (if you have a taste for surrealist superhero parody). Next to him is Mr. Beeba from Akiko.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Selachian posted:

That's the Flaming Carrot, one of the better comics to come out of the '80s black-and-white glut (if you have a taste for surrealist superhero parody). Next to him is Mr. Beeba from Akiko.

That's it, I knew I knew him. Never read it though.

WickedHate posted:

It's not like people exclusively get stuck with bit parts because they suck. But with a kid, he should be securing a good enough life for her, and right now the conflict is like, "well, since I have my family to help, I can raise my daughter and follow my dream!", while the others feel like he should be exclusively focused on his kid. I can kind of see both sides of it, and in a better, more nuanced strip, it'd be interesting drama, but here it's just "hur durr Jonah bad dad".

Of course, since he's apparently not having money troubles and the conflict is lack of time spent with his kid, it'd be meaningless for him to pick up another job because pretty much anything that'd keep them financially stable could keep him busy just as much.

This is more what I meant. Luann of all the strips feels like a very strange place to try to do this kind of story-line.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

From the JP illustrator's blog:

uh-oh?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

:golfclap:

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Reason #2967 to just go with Heloise instead.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Marks thought bubble: did she really just recite a full URL to me

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SomeMathGuy posted:

:golfclap:

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

So he just spilled the beans about the phantom not being an immortal ghost.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

*This* monkey's gone to Heaven!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Tunicate posted:

Even better, he spilled those beans fighting some random rear end in a top hat in the mountains and the entire reason he's in the mountains is to go to a school where he has to pretend to be the same guy as all of the previous Phantoms. I thought Dick Tracy hosed up a while back but this is on another level.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

From the JP illustrator's blog:

uh-oh?
Is that Alan and April? Meaning that April is actually dead?

:eng101: Do you think you could plug our website in your comic, James?
:downs: Sure, I'll find some way to slip it in there. It'll be very subtle.

Tunicate posted:

The Phantom is pretty much the opposite of Spider-Man when it comes to his secret identity (hardly bothers to hide it in any way, but it's still mostly secret), but yeah, that's dumb.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Both of these characters have phones. Why are they stopping and asking for directions?

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Inspector Danger

Deep Dark Fears

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

That's funny, the tobacco law was tightened this week over here, making it illegal to smoke in a car when there's a kid younger than 15 onboard. Mr. True's outbursts are still as current as they ever were!

(Okay, half of his outbursts are about rear end in a top hat smokers so it's not that much of a coincidence.)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It just rolls off your tongue!

quote:

The Phantom

All that earlier slow-building bullshit: forgiven.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

A water feature with giant robots & monsters. I approve.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nenonen posted:

That's funny, the tobacco law was tightened this week over here, making it illegal to smoke in a car when there's a kid younger than 15 onboard. Mr. True's outbursts are still as current as they ever were!

(Okay, half of his outbursts are about rear end in a top hat smokers so it's not that much of a coincidence.)

I love Everett True. He channels his assholishness into punishing other assholes, like some kind of 1920s Dexter. What a guy.

(and when he is a dick, his wife steps up)

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Yes sir, there is no possible way that this will be misinterpreted.

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Today's dialogue was provided by readers everywhere.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

:fireman:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I like that Mark just has this expression on his face that really conveys the idea that there is NO way he is putting that in his magazine. I know this is also his default expression.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Today's dialogue was provided by readers everywhere.

Ha ha haaaaa, it's funny because these hip modern adults are insanely chaste! The 90th consecutive day of this being the joke is just as delightful and relatable as the previous 89!

(to be fair, it would finally actually be weird if they had sex at this point, since despite what the backgrounds might lead you to believe I think they're supposed to be on a plane filled with other passengers)

Finally, the sobering takedown of the mildly-ironic-t-shirt industry that readers have been begging for.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is just a bad dream.

When your entire gimmick is referencing nerd poo poo, you should get "Spider-Man" right.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Tiggum posted:

Is that Alan and April? Meaning that April is actually dead?
Looks like it. Is this clearing the decks for Ces, or is this one of his upcoming stories?

I suppose it could be Sophie, too, what with all of the foreshadowing going on in that plotline (car full of teens and their drama! underage drinking! torrential rains! a mandatory detour over a dangerous mountain pass late at night!), but then the inclusion of the Judge in the picture would just be weird. I mean, weirder than it already is when either of the Judges Parker make an appearance in their own drat strip.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SomeMathGuy posted:

Even better, he spilled those beans fighting some random rear end in a top hat in the mountains and the entire reason he's in the mountains is to go to a school where he has to pretend to be the same guy as all of the previous Phantoms. I thought Dick Tracy hosed up a while back but this is on another level.
Did the strip ever explain why the monks don't find somebody having to be trained in the same things repeatedly suspicious?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr. Squishy posted:

When your entire gimmick is referencing nerd poo poo, you should get "Spider-Man" right.

Jeff Spiderman is my dentist.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Sure, commentators can say, "Jonah doesn't deserve Shannon! He should give her up to Toni to raise like an unwanted cat or something!" But that ignores Toni's long history of dumping Shannon on Luann at the first opportunity nearly every time she has her. Now, this isn't a judgment of Toni (Shannon is not actually Toni's child and Toni isn't obligated to watch her all the time or to act as a surrogate parent), but we haven't seen much of any evidence that Toni would take better care of Shannon than Jonah does. We've much more often seen Toni get annoyed about Shannon cramping her style.

quote:

As Yoda told Luke, “Do or do not. There is no try.” Jonah should learn that.

quote:

You’re the one who pogo-sticked your way into fatherhood. Face your reality…take her to the audition. You never get a call back anyway, so who cares?!?

quote:

IamJayBluE said, 1 day ago
A little help? You just asked drafted your sister to watch your kid….how much “help-ier” could you expect!?

quote:

@IamJayBluE
Unless…

A) He means acting lessons
B) An intervention for his audition addiction
C) an alarm to wake him from his Broadway dream
D) For Mr. Shatnrr to return his calls
D) A Scooby Snack
Or
E) He’s waiting for Mr. T.(’84 edition) to finally agree to be his life coach

:siren:

quote:

IF Jonah is being depicted as having mild borderline personality disorder then his biggest fear will be of anything he sees as abandonment (which CAN include not getting his way). Such people are also therefore terribly afraid of any rejection and tend to need to have people around and get their constant pats on the head. The result is that they do not cope well with living alone, and they do best in schooling or work which either involves a herd of people, or regular praise, or both. So, such a person could become a truly excellent waiter but not be a fiction writer.

Some people with it are not great at separating out their personal achievement fantasies from reality, so someone pursuing a career which remains out of reach due to ineptitude certainly could happen. The worse of the two tended/still somewhat tends to consistently have those about a future that was just out of reach, as w Jonah.

The younger of the two people i have known w it is the grandchild of the older one, and although a good student began to find it difficult to do homework if a tv was not in the room and tuned to a show with conversation. It let the person feel like others were there. Kind of a herd thing, i think. As someone who likes having a certain amount of solitary time each day it has never made sense to me, though i have tried to understand it.

I kind of doubt that the Evanes are going for actual pathology here, but if they are then Jonah feeling abandoned will get the emotional barbed wire unraveling and whipping around some. It his fantasy is also challenged it will get worse, though not as bad and if Jonah actually realizes that his dream does not match his abilities.

If the problem is not extreme these people can function in the real world, and aging or its lessons can reduce the worse behaviors.

Anyway, i doubt they will be going for anything pathologically that extreme, but just in case they are, there is the potential for Jonah to in that case have a response that would itself be extreme.
:siren:

quote:

“The King Of Pawns”
“Look In A Mirror”
“Fuzzy Game Logic”
“You Never Miss Your Water Until The Well Decides To Move”
“A Watched Iron Never Strikes Twice”
“Keys To The Audacity”
“Acting Badly”
“Acting On Your Worst Behavior”
“He Who Dealt It Smells”
“Ingrate Expectations”
“Games Without Frontiers” (♬)
“Forest For The Trees”
or
“Allergic To Selfish”

quote:

I have to wait until can I do a more complete comment on this strip today. This is Luannverse, so it’s fantasy so I should not be so drat MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But even at 70 I can’t totally be objective about absentee or irresponsible fathers mine having never felt necessary to involve himself in my life. I forgave him for that, but to have an objective comment I need to forgive him again. Don’t worry I will have one later though. Greg man this hurts actually!

fort knox

Dustin

:siren::siren:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Reply All

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse
This is a Ziggy strip stretched to four panels.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

On the one hand, they're making this fight more exciting than I thought they would. It's still dull and nothing seems to really happen and the characters tell us what happens instead of the pictures showing it, but, well, the keyword is "more than I thought" and my expectations were not great.

On the other hand, it's starting to feel like they have, at best, a vague idea of what Kadaver looks like, and are now avoiding having to commit. There's a point where imagination doesn't do the rest anymore.

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

I'll be honest: I didn't catch that one, because I was hyperfocused on counting his stitches.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Where did Tracy get the gun? Has he been travelling around Europe with a pistol on him? UK Border alone would throw an amazing poo poo fit.

edit - Oh wait, he's been in a private jet. They're probably ignoring all border security due to being rich.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Tiggum posted:

Reply All

Having my year go from September to September since 1968 (from nursery school through to teaching), I support this excuse for shopping cultural identity.

Aardmania posted:

[
9 Chickweed Lane

This, however, just makes me wanna barf. (Not the cuddling; that she's willingly pressing her face against what has to be a skanky roll-neck jumper and coat...unless she's simply passed out from the stench).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVxg_4h1uV8&t=4178s

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

To say nothing of putting an 80s-era Olympic Sales Club ad on the back of a comic from 1962.

I know that's goonsay as gently caress, but as heavily as this comic leans on slapping in/tracing over Google Image Searches of nerd poo poo...

Oh, and by the way: the first result for a Google search for "amazing fantasy 15" "back cover".

I hate Working Daze.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Robo cars aren't the future for the simple reason that infrastructure in most of the world (including the vast majority of the US) is so bad that they can't tell where lanes are.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Still no new Pros and Cons. I guess Meehan is on vacation.

Rhymes with Piccolo

And the childcare argument in the Luann comments has now spilled over into Candorville on Gocomics (it's currently doing a story where the main character, a single dad, has to go out of town for work and is looking for someone to take care of his sprog).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

By that logic, we shouldn't allow human-driven cars, since the driver could have a heart attack and cause an accident.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

goatface posted:

Where did Tracy get the gun? Has he been travelling around Europe with a pistol on him? UK Border alone would throw an amazing poo poo fit.

edit - Oh wait, he's been in a private jet. They're probably ignoring all border security due to being rich.
The Reichenbach Falls are in Switzerland, to be fair.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Dustin

That's an even better sign that she's into you... or wants to be :pervert:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Eating over the sink. Two of the people are happy, but the woman is unreasonably angry. This is pretty Foob right here.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (July 26, 1951)

Barnaby (December 31, 1942)

Nancy (September 9, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (May 23, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (June 7, 1923)

Barney Google (June 8, 1922)

Alley Oop (September 7, 1933)

Lil' Abner (February 4, 1937)

Adbot