Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

namaste faggots posted:

holy poo poo gently caress the latest anova app and wifi pairing

Yeah, it's basically broken...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah I gave up on the app and wifi thing about a week after I got the circulator in the first place. Just spin the temperature knob and use my microwave timer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I ended up liking the torching method of finishing enough that I returned my bro's torch, bought a TS8000 and decided to try out a Searzall; both arrived today.

Dumb question before I go season the searzall, is there any reason not to just open the torch regulator fully when I'm using the thing?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I ended up liking the torching method of finishing enough that I returned my bro's torch, bought a TS8000 and decided to try out a Searzall; both arrived today.

Dumb question before I go season the searzall, is there any reason not to just open the torch regulator fully when I'm using the thing?

Just be careful not to blow out your screens. I have a hole developing and will need to replace the screen soon.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Ciaphas posted:

It doesn't really make it "sear" any faster, and if you're blowing fire past the searzall grate, you're not broiling anymore - you're just torching.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

If you find a good source for PC tubs let me know tia.

This has been a while but I did some research into German based PC tub retailers.
I have just placed an order with one and thought I'd share their site here.

"GN-Behälter 24" is a specialized retailer of GN tubs of all kinds of materials for restaurants/businesses. On their site it states they only deliver to businesses, but I just called them and the very friendly guy explained they have to put that there for legal reasons because their prices are stated BEFORE VAT. Unlike other shops, they do not have different prices for businesses vs. private customers, so what you see is the net price for anyone. (I saw up to 3 € difference in net prices for private purchases vs business in other shops). I am not sure whether they ship to all EU countries though.

My order to give you an idea of the prices(before VAT):
GN 1/1 (530x325x200mm L/W/H) pc tub 12,88€
GN 1/2 (325/265/200mm L/W/H) pc tub 6,16€
1 pc lid for the big one 5,74€
2 pc lids for the small one (in case I gently caress up in my first attempt at cutting out the lid) 6,26€ for 2
styrofoam "transport" box sized 1/1 16,10€

Price including shipping (9.90 to Germany) and VAT was 68€.

German language site only though:
http://gn-behaelter24.de/
Direct to PC tubs:
http://gn-behaelter24.de/gn-behaelter-aus-polycarbonat

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Chefsteps' Joule pre-orders are $149 today.

https://www.chefsteps.com/joule

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It says $199

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Steve Yun posted:

It says $199

Looks like they sold out

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I've been having issues with sous vide lately-it just seems like I can get better results through normal cooking or grilling and I'm thinking it's due to seasoning, or lack there of.

The big thing I've seen this with are pork chops. If I grill them, I'll brine first and then cook on the grill and they always come out juicy and taste great. Sous vide though, I'll vac seal then without seasoning and cook to 140, then take out and season them, then dry off and sear in cast iron...I can get the crust good on them but they don't taste like anything. Probably not seasoning enough in sous vide?

Should I be seasoning things before I vac seal them?

My other problem is chicken. Sous vide chicken thighs with skin are great but chicken breast without skin suck...again, I normally don't season before vac sealing but even the texture in my skinless chicken breast suck...it's like there's no good way to brown the outside without drying the outer layer completely.

Steak is ok, but again-better results and a better crust through grilling it seems. And it's also like I feel like I'm cooking them too much that it will raise the temp too high. Example, sous vide at 135 for medium rare, but then I sear for 30-60 seconds a side-won't that raise the steak above medium rare? Obviously thickness of the meat will affect to a large degree...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Are you seasoning the meat after you sear it when you use the puddler?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Chemmy posted:

Are you seasoning the meat after you sear it when you use the puddler?

No, I generally take it out of the vac bag, pat dry, season, sear. I might put pepper on after searing, but never salt...I always do salt before. Probably because I'm used to that from normal cooking.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
As for steak searing: Look on the Anova website, the recipe for tenderloin steak I think. It has post puddle instructions. Kenji sears the steak for 1.5 minutes total iirc but you have to turn it every 10-15 seconds.
I got an amazing result doing this.

Also heat your cast iron slowly first, then go to high heat shortly before you dump the steak in. I used canola oil and when it was slightly smoking I add a tad of butter and immediately dump the steak in.
Also no joking: Open your window wide, it will smoke like made once the steak is in there.

Your steak need a to be thick, I haven't tried under 1/2 inch. Thinner steaks might heat through when searing.

And the chicken breast I puddled unseasoned turned out fine?
I will season next time, but the first I did I wanted it seasoned and it was juicy and absolutely great. I also just pan seared it quickly at slightly lower temp than I would a steak.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anova Precision Cooker on sale today for $149

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anova-Precision-Cooker-WiFi-/201629220085?afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Direct Best Buy link (free shipping too!) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/anova-precision-cooker-wifi/5251600.p?id=bb5251600&skuId=5251600

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Welp, just pulled the trigger on this, looking forward to joining the brotherhood of puddle-cookers. Thanks for the heads up!

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

SMDFTB posted:

Should I be seasoning things before I vac seal them?

Yes, definitely 100%. It takes a bit of trial and error to get it right, though. You'll get a feel for it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

um not 100%, for instance, you don't want raw garlic if that's part of your chop.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Test Pattern posted:

Yes, definitely 100%. It takes a bit of trial and error to get it right, though. You'll get a feel for it.

I dunno about other seasonings but I thought I read that it's a bad idea to salt before puddling?

Or maybe it was it's a bad idea to salt before vac sealing then freezing.

Actually now I'm wondering what the truth is 'cos I was gonna go to the butcher tomorrow for a bunch of skin-on boneless chicken breasts to freeze raw for later, that I could puddle the night before and bring to work. Now I dunno whether to salt them before I vacuum them or what :saddowns:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I did up five boneless pork chops to bring to work for lunch one weekend and salted them all before they were vacuum-sealed. The first few were great but Thursday's and Friday's were almost unpalatably salty. It seems that they draw in more salt the longer they're in the vacuum bag. I've done other stuff since, with no notable objections, it just seems like letting it sit amplified the saltiness somehow, even though it's not like they got any more than the others.

e: of course if you season them and then freeze them before cooking them later they'll probably be fine.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 12, 2016

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Ciaphas posted:

I dunno about other seasonings but I thought I read that it's a bad idea to salt before puddling?

Or maybe it was it's a bad idea to salt before vac sealing then freezing.

Actually now I'm wondering what the truth is 'cos I was gonna go to the butcher tomorrow for a bunch of skin-on boneless chicken breasts to freeze raw for later, that I could puddle the night before and bring to work. Now I dunno whether to salt them before I vacuum them or what :saddowns:

You absolutely have to salt before vaccing and puddling. Use less than you would otherwise, but if you don't, the meat will not be seasoned! Would you salt anything else only in the last 2 minutes of cooking?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Actually for longer cooks you don't want to salt before puddling because you'll start curing the meat. For anything going less than let's say 8 hours, yes salt it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How does that change when you're gonna freeze some of it? Seems a bit of a faff to vacuum, freeze, thaw, open, salt, vacuum, cook again; be nice if I could just salt, vac, and freeze then cook in the same bag later without ruining the meat.

(ed) And yeah I'm talking about short cooks like chicken breasts or whatever, I haven't forayed into anything longer than two hours yet.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
What's the go-to circulator for restaurants now a days? I see units from Vollrath, Fusionchef, Polyscience, etc at the high end but am not sure what their track record is.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mikey Purp posted:

Actually for longer cooks you don't want to salt before puddling because you'll start curing the meat. For anything going less than let's say 8 hours, yes salt it.

This has been my experience. If it's a short cook, season away. Long cooks get a cured texture from salting.

deimos posted:

What's the go-to circulator for restaurants now a days? I see units from Vollrath, Fusionchef, Polyscience, etc at the high end but am not sure what their track record is.

Anecdotal, but I've only seen Polyscience when I peeked into kitchens.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Ciaphas posted:

How does that change when you're gonna freeze some of it? Seems a bit of a faff to vacuum, freeze, thaw, open, salt, vacuum, cook again; be nice if I could just salt, vac, and freeze then cook in the same bag later without ruining the meat.

(ed) And yeah I'm talking about short cooks like chicken breasts or whatever, I haven't forayed into anything longer than two hours yet.

I do this all the time for chicken breasts and it's been fine so far. I buy the huge packs then salt + season them in bulk, vacuum seal them, and stick most in the freezer. It makes it way easier to just go straight from freezer to sous vide.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah my wild, psuedoscientific guess is that once the liquid in the meat freezes, the brining process is shut down since there's no longer a medium for the salt ions to permeate into the meat.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ciaphas posted:

I SV chicken thighs seasoned with salt, pepper and some lemon in large batches. Once they're cooked they go into an ice bath and then into the freezer. Toss them back into the SV at ~150 for 20 minutes then sear for nights where I don't want to cook anything.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I'm trying to get my exec to buy the Polyscience mx purely for VIP catering but our GM is having a melty about liability.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

uPen posted:

I SV chicken thighs seasoned with salt, pepper and some lemon in large batches. Once they're cooked they go into an ice bath and then into the freezer. Toss them back into the SV at ~150 for 20 minutes then sear for nights where I don't want to cook anything.

I'd wondered about puddling then freezing. I figured it'd take so long to reheat you'd lose the advantage of pre-cooking, but 20 minutes doesn't sound bad at all.

Going to the butcher tomorrow (for the first time ever actually :saddowns:) to try some random stuff I haven't tried, so I'll get a bunch of skin-on chicken thighs for mass mealing and try this in the meantime. Apparently said butcher stocks duck, bison, elk, and... uh, ostrich, gator and rabbit meat??? maybe broaden my horizons a little :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 13, 2016

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Took advantage of the $150 Best Buy Anova deal, so I'm back into Sous Vide after my Supreme died a while ago.

I can't find my copy of Baldwin's book. Could someone tell me what time and temp he lists for scrambled eggs? I seem to recall he lists two, one for 20 or 30 minutes, and one for an hour?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://www.citizensousvide.com/scrambled.html

20 mins @ 167°F

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 17, 2016

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
why would you sousvide scrambled eggs :(

my braindome hurts

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I don't get that either. It seems like an addition to pad the amount of things your expensive toy is good for if you need to justify your purchase.
But if you ask me, sous vide steak is the only justification that is needed. Everything else is a bonus. A tasty tasty bonus...

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

deimos posted:

Polyscience

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't need to justify my expensive purchase

here's the breakdown of what I use my anova for

50% : confit of duck, rabbit, pork
25%: cooking temperature sensitive meats (steak, duck breast, chicken, chops) to the right temperature
15% : cooking next level veg
10% : cooking 60deg eggs

0 % : cooking puddings/scrambled eggs/ whatever

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

why would you sousvide scrambled eggs :(

my braindome hurts
When you want a very specific consistency and don't want to have to gently caress around with it. Which is pretty much why you want to do anything sous vide.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Apparently the Sansaire people are launching a new kickstarter on Monday. Anyone have a clue as to what it is? New Sansaire at $99 price point maybe?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I love the custardy texture of sous vide scrambled eggs. I mean, sometimes I want the dryer american style but if you want french style scrambled eggs, sous vide makes it dead easy.

Aside from how awesome meat done sous vide is, I find it really helpful that's is so hands-off and has huge error margins (i.e. I can leave a steak in an extra hour or whatever without issue) because it means I can devote more time an attention to sauces or sides and such that really elevate the meal and have to worry less about perfect time coordination for everything (i love that if I finish a bearnaise or something before everything else is done I can just throw it in the water bath).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bonds0097 posted:

(i love that if I finish a bearnaise or something before everything else is done I can just throw it in the water bath).

How sensitive is that to the water temp? Can I throw it in next to a 132F steak, or 150F chicken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Subjunctive posted:

How sensitive is that to the water temp? Can I throw it in next to a 132F steak, or 150F chicken?

I haven't done this but both should be hot enough to keep it stable. The issue is 132 is a very nice incubation temp in the short-term.