Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If we're doing plain horrific injustice songs I think Phil Ochs still takes the cake for his calm hury. I had one person actually change their mind on the death penalty just from listening to the first song when I was in highschool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWamd3jh3TY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7fgB0m_y2I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

it's actually one of the worst tracks off the album, but it's an incredible album so

It's an ok album I liked it a lot when I was 19 ten years ago

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
If we're talking about murderers and music, would anyone be interested in some not-quite-long-form writeups about murderers in black metal? :black101: I am qualified to teach :black101: Black101 :black101: and beyond.

Spoiler: Two groups of neo-nazi murderers are more famous than ever after being released from prison, the gay-slashing orthodox Satanist is legendary, and the guy who couldn't finish his axe-murder returned after two vocalists committed suicide, only to release a lackluster album about Nazi Germans. And much more!

Zodijackylite has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Aug 17, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zodijackylite posted:

If we're talking about murderers and music, would anyone be interested in some not-quite-long-form writeups about murderers in black metal? :black101: I am qualified to teach :black101: Black101 :black101: and beyond.

Spoiler: Two groups of neo-nazi murderers are more famous than ever after being released from prison, the gay-slashing orthodox Satanist is legendary, and the guy who couldn't finish his axe-murder returned after two vocalists committed suicide, only to release a lackluster album about Nazi Germans. And much more!

:justpost:

The answer is yes, the answer is always yes.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Yeah man, go for it. I've always found that whole weird scene fascinating, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

:justpost:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

In other Manchester death news, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...rk-9973702.html

djssniper posted:

Sure it's been mentioned before... But tell me why I don't like Mondays

Because you are Brenda Spencer

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zodijackylite posted:

Oh yeah, lay on the Faust/Jon Nödtveidt/Varg Vikernes/etc. hosed-up-ness.

Black Metal is a crazy as gently caress scene.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That article got rubbished as nonsense about five seconds after it was published. This "academic" is literally saying that drunk people falling into a canal is evidence of mass murder.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a nazi

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Weber

quote:

On 2 March 1905, Weber was babysitting for her sister-in-law, when one of the woman's two daughters — 18-month-old Georgette — suddenly "fell ill" and died. Strange bruises on her neck were ignored by the examining physician, and Weber was welcomed back to babysit on 11 March. Two-year-old Suzanne did not survive the visit, but a doctor blamed the second death on unexplained "convulsions."

quote:

Weber was babysitting for her brother, on 25 March, when his daughter, seven-year-old Germaine, suffered a sudden attack of "choking," complete with red marks on her throat. The child survived that episode, but she was less fortunate the following day, when Weber returned. Diphtheria was blamed for her death, and for that of Weber's son, Marcel, just four days later. Once again, the tell-tale marks of strangulation were ignored.

and so on and so forth. 10 more times

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That poor woman, it must be awful for all the kids around you to come down with cases of spontaneous strangulation. Maybe she was a carrier and should have been quarantined? :ohdear:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
She died doing what she loved.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There is something morbidly funny about how she literally couldn't stop.

quote:

Weber quickly dropped from sight, surfacing next as an orderly at a children's hospital in Faucombault, moving on from there to the Children's Home in Orgeville, run by friends who sought to "make up for the wrongs that justice has inflicted upon an innocent woman." Working as "Marie Lemoine," Weber had been on the job for less than a week when she was caught strangling a child in the home. The owners quietly dismissed her and the incident was covered up.

quote:

Back in Paris, Weber was arrested for vagrancy and briefly confined to the asylum at Nanterre, but doctors there pronounced her sane and set her free. She drifted into prostitution, picking up a common-law husband along the way. On 8 May 1908, the couple settled at an inn in Commercy. A short time later, Weber was found strangling the innkeeper's son

It's like kleptomania or something, but just so oddly specific. Is there any information about what specific mental illness gave her this singular fixation?

Also, how lovely must it be to run an inn and whoops, you let the famous serial child strangler stay in your home with your child. Poor guy. :smith:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
http://allday.com/post/9526-these-rock-climbing-hippies-looted-a-crashed-plane-in-yosemite-and-struck-marijuana/
Sorry about the clickbaity website this is hosted on. This has everything: hippies living in bear caves, a crashed plane full of marijuana, throat slitting, frozen bodies in a lake and people who looked like this irl:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

http://allday.com/post/9526-these-rock-climbing-hippies-looted-a-crashed-plane-in-yosemite-and-struck-marijuana/
Sorry about the clickbaity website this is hosted on. This has everything: hippies living in bear caves, a crashed plane full of marijuana, throat slitting, frozen bodies in a lake and people who looked like this irl:

I like how the authors think that 6 tons = 6,000 lbs

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Yeeaaah, there's a few points where it needed a proofread.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Thoughts? - Only $399US. I'm surely intrigued and my try convincing a coworker to buy this so I can watch it work.

edit: pfffft - wrong thread. Duh.

porktree has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Aug 17, 2016

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

porktree posted:

Thoughts? - Only $399US. I'm surely intrigued and my try convincing a coworker to buy this so I can watch it work.

edit: pfffft - wrong thread. Duh.

That's pretty unnerving in itself

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Throbbing Gristle also made a song about the Moors Murders, which I guess was creepy at the time but now it's campy and unlistenable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghR5XXi4QGw

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh yeah, lay on the Faust/Jon Nödtveidt/Varg Vikernes/etc. hosed-up-ness.

Black Metal is a crazy as gently caress scene.

I like how Mortiis, famed literal cave troll who wore a mask at all times as some kind of perfomance art thing, is now considered one of the well balanced people who escaped the scene.

Also you forgot about Dead, the original vocalist for Mayhem, who would bury his clothes until they were rotting and wear them on stage and had a dead crow as a pet. He eventually shot himself with a shotgun and left a suicide note that just said 'Sorry about all the blood'.

His bandmate Euronymous (who would eventually get murdered by Varg) found the body, rearranged it and took a photo, which would eventually be used as the cover of a bootleg Mayhem CD. Allegedly Euronymous also took some of the fragments of Dead's skull and fashioned them into necklaces that he would give to people he considered worthy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh yeah, I left a lot of people, but there are just so many of them. People like Gaahl, who:

quote:

From April to December 2006, [...] spent another nine months (of a fourteen-month sentence) in prison. He was accused of assaulting and torturing a man for six hours while collecting his blood into a cup and threatening to make him drink it. The victim received a total of 190,000 NOK (32,424 US$) in compensation. Gaahl claims that he was acting in self-defense, saying: "I was the one who was attacked, but they think I punished him too hard. As I always say, when people cross my line ... then I will be the one to decide what their punishment will be."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkl4Yeh-BTo

What a cheery fellow! :v:

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?
I guess the Daily Beast recently ran a short series about the two Dutch girls who went missing in Panama, because they somehow got hold of a bunch of the case documentation and did their own investigation. It doesn't really seem like they discovered anything new, except for possibly being able to glean more details about exactly where/how they might have died, but I figured the thread would find it interesting regardless. This is one of the few cases I've read about ITT that truly does creep me TF out :stonk:

Here's the Longform.org collection of all 3 of the Daily Beast articles on it

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
What is black metal? Black metal is metal that is black - dark, evil, satanic.

Black metal came about in the 80s with bands who didn't just sing about it, they made it sound like it. Vocals became ghostly wails, then demonic shrieks and growls. Recordings were extremely harsh and primitive, first out of necessity, then because it completed the sound. We're not talking about Black Sabbath - a Christian band who wrote some spooky songs about Satan - black metal took over the lives of those who made it. They were possessed.

The "first wave" of black metal was bands who metal a step further. Toneless shouts, uncontrolled distortion on guitars, and rough recordings - it sounded straight from hell! That's exactly what they were going for, and they framed it well. Listen to NME's 1986 album "Unholy Death" - a faster, rougher take on theatrically goofy black metal pioneers Venom, or Goatlord's 1987 demo - downright evil and ahead of its time, and finally Mayhem's "Deathcrush" - which set the standard for sliding high distortion riffs around.

This isn't just a lesson in music - I picked those three bands for a reason. So, shall we get to the first story, with some music to set the tone?

NME - Unholy Death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxzcODytcis

I must say, this one isn't sensationalized much, it's just the first, chronlogically. Washington State's first black metal band, NME were said to have a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor about the whole evilness thing. They weren't worshipping Satan, they were just writing music that sounded evil-as-hell. Three of them never even engaged in extracurricular activities worthy of this thread. At least, such is lore. The real lore starts a few months after the January, 1986 release of their first album, "Unholy Death" - released on the same day as the Challenger disaster.

Guitarist Kurt Struebing was the interesting fellow of the group. The axeman is always the most important member of a heavy metal group, and this one did double-duty. Two rumored causes of his odd behavior were mental illness and psychedelic drug use. Not to exaggerate rumors, but I heard he liked some really heavy hallucinogens, and I'm inclined to believe it. Unlike later black metallers, Kurt didn't think he was possessed by Satan.

Kurt thought he was a robot, at least that's what he said. He wondered if his adoptive mother was a robot, too, which raises all sorts of questions, but Kurt was an inquisitive one. One day in April 1986, he decided to find out whether or not his mother was a robot, so he took a hatchet and a pair of scissors and did some research. Presumably, he found out that she was't a robot, as she was killed in the process. He then called 911 and told his story. He thought he was a robot, and wanted to find out of his mother was, too. That's the story. 20-year-old Kurt Struebing murdered his adoptive mother with a hatchet and scissors. He was sentenced to twelve years in prison and released in 1994.

"He cut his mother open to find out if she was a robot, too."

The band was put on hold, and reunited with the same lineup upon Kurt's release from prison, none of the other members fazed by Kurt's first killing. Yes, you read that right. Apparently unaware or unconcerned that the best publicity a black metal band could have in the mid-90s was having a murderer in their ranks, NME recorded an album of punkish thrash metal songs and Black Sabbath covers. Kurt seemed to have an attitude that he did his time, so they carried on. They released another album in 2002 and played some shows. They were received positively in the local scene, and looked to make an honest mark on society. The next time Kurt made the news, many locals who knew him remarked that they didn't even know about the 1986 murder.

In 2005, while waiting for a sailboat to pass a drawbridge, Kurt Struebing pulled out of traffic and drove his car through a barricade and fell 60 feet, to his death. No explanation was ever given, with speculation that it was an accident, he was under the influence, or suicidal.

The next installment will be much more dramatic, because the next high-profile death in black metal was photographed and used to promote the band!

Zodijackylite has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Aug 17, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking about murders, Washington state and music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScT9eo5cljk

Neko Case's song Deep Red Bells is about the green river killer.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Zodijackylite posted:

What is black metal? Black metal is metal that is black - dark, evil, satanic.

Black metal came about in the 80s with bands who didn't just sing about it, they made it sound like it. Vocals became ghostly wails, then demonic shrieks and growls. Recordings were extremely harsh and primitive, first out of necessity, then because it completed the sound. We're not talking about Black Sabbath - a Christian band who wrote some spooky songs about Satan - black metal took over the lives of those who made it. They were possessed.

I'm pretty into metal and I still think this is about the single douchiest paragraph on the subject ever written

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Vladimir Poutine posted:

There was this link embedded in that article and it's a much better read about the story.

http://www.mensjournal.com/features/articles/the-legend-of-yosemites-dope-lake-w209503

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Travis343 posted:

I'm pretty into metal and I still think this is about the single douchiest paragraph on the subject ever written

Which makes it a perfect description of metal!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Music and murder deserves a mention of Charles Manson and the Beach Boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi2YRtIKg9Q

The above, Never Learn Not to Love is a re-write by Dennis Wilson of Manson's Cease to Exist.

Dennis Wilson was a freewheeler. The only natural surfer of the band, it was possibly he who ultimately got the group started when mentioning to record producers that their family (and friend) band totally had one more song, one about surfing. The sport was trendy and the song - Surfin', written by Brian Wilson as a high school assignment - was tight enough to get them signed and became their first single.

The band was mostly beyond surfing in 1968, two years past Pet Sounds, and while on the back end of their first wave of popularity, still a big part of the Capitol label. Dennis was out driving one day that year and upon noticing two female hitchhikers, he picked them up. Later, he saw them again and not only picked them up, but brought them back to his place. He went out and when he returned, there was Charles Manson.

Dennis became enchanted with Manson and found out that his new friend liked songwriting and had a bit of skills. At some unknown point, possibly early 1969, Manson even went to the Beach Boys' home studio, set up in Brian's Bellagio home, and recorded several songs for a solo album. The sessions were produced by Brian and Carl Wilson. From those who remember them, it seems that Manson rarely did more than one take of a song.

Prior to then, and probably not long after they met, Dennis borrowed Cease to Exist. It was recorded in September 1968 and released in December as a single (the B side of Bluebirds Over the Mountain, which climbed to 61 on the US charts). Manson was uncredited for his efforts, which is a very lucky break on the band's part. Even if supposedly Manson threatened to kill Dennis for altering the words.

Things were still apparently hunky dory between the two late in the year as Dennis is interviewed in Record Mirror in December.

quote:

"[T]hey told me they they too had a guru, a guy named Charlie, who'd recently come out of jail after 12 years. His mother was a hooker, his father was a gangster, he'd drifted into crime but when I met him, I found he had great musical ideas. We're writing together now. He's dumb, in s ome ways, but I accept his approach and have learnt from him. He taught me a dance, The Inhibition. You have to imagine you're a frozen man and the ice is thawing out. Start with your fingertips, then all the rest of you, then you extend it to a feeling that the whole universe is thawing out..."

In the last paragraph, some of the Manson beliefs had apparently rubbed off and he had given much of his possessions away and lived simply.

Ultimately, the bickering between Wilson and Manson escalated. The Family ran up huge bills - there's rumors of a lot of money being spent to treat STDs - and Manson became more aggressive. Van Dyke Parks remembered Wilson beating the hell out of Manson after being threatened. The Family didn't go quietly, though, and ultimately Wilson had to vacate his home. He let the lease end so the Family would be evicted.

Not long after Never Learn Not to Love's single release, it appeared again on the Beach Boys' 20/20 album. It was their final with Capitol and they were fulfilling their contract (the album title partially refers to it being their 20th proper release under the label) before moving to their own label, Brother Records.

Manson had been pissed off at Dennis Wilson. He was also pissed off with producer Terry Melcher. Melcher, who was close to the Beach Boys, didn't come through for Manson in materializing an album.

Melcher and Manson met at the home Melcher was sharing with Candice Bergen and musician Mark Lindsay.

The address was 10050 Cielo Drive.

The three would leave the home soon after a falling out. The next occupant would be Roman Polanski. And Sharon Tate. She, Jay Sebring, Abigail Folger, Steven Parent and Wojciech Frykowski were murdered Aug. 9, with the LaBianca murders happened the next night.

It's long been speculated that Manson picked the address to get revenge on Melcher. Lindsay doesn't think it was case.

"Midland Reporter-Telegram posted:

"Everybody speculated that Manson sent his minions up there to get rid of Terry because he was angry about not getting a record deal. But Terry and I talked about it later and Terry said Manson knew (Melcher had moved) because Manson or someone from his organization left a note on Terry's porch in Malibu," Lindsay said.

That doesn't rule out, of course, that Manson was trying to send a message.

Not surprisingly, Dennis Wilson didn't like talking about Manson in the years after. The fallout might have even sped up his demons, but multiple divorces, accidents (he damaged his hand to the point he couldn't drum for a few years) and family disintegration didn't help. The Wilsons and Loves were an incredibly hosed up bunch and volumes have been written about all the incidents, including those from their ancestors. Mike Love's grandson is also his second cousin.

Back to Manson's album attempt, he did have one released. They weren't the Wilson home studio recordings, but those tapes might actually still exist.

Guns N' Roses released a Manson song, too, Look at Your Game Girl in 1993, but obviously knew what exactly they were doing.

Edit: Added when Tate was murdered.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Aug 18, 2016

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Fanky Malloons posted:

I guess the Daily Beast recently ran a short series about the two Dutch girls who went missing in Panama, because they somehow got hold of a bunch of the case documentation and did their own investigation. It doesn't really seem like they discovered anything new, except for possibly being able to glean more details about exactly where/how they might have died, but I figured the thread would find it interesting regardless. This is one of the few cases I've read about ITT that truly does creep me TF out :stonk:

Here's the Longform.org collection of all 3 of the Daily Beast articles on it

It's a good set of articles, despite a lot of early alluding to foul play / the inevitable sex trafficking / people being suspicious. The girls got lost, simple as that.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Now that I've gotten some background out of the way, onto the glorified violence in Norway! I'll try to cover as much as possible that isn't in the Wikipedia articles, while still telling the story. Now, shall we give it a title?

Mayhem (Norway): Part 1

There was a lot of one-upsmanship in the underground, with bands trying to be more extreme and more evil. It was only a matter of time before that went from music, artwork, and fashion, to more extreme behavior. You can only scream so loud and put so many pentagrams on your tapes, so what do you do? Well, one guy had a lot of ideas. The year is 1988.

Per Yngve Ohlin, better known by his stage name, Dead, started out in a Swedish band called Morbid. Evidently, they weren't morbid enough, so he contacted Mayhem, a Norwegian band. He sent them a demo tape with a letter and a crucified mouse, which had begun to disintegrate. Mayhem's bassist, Necrobutcher (who later proved to be the more sane of the bunch) took out the tape and put the mouse and letter in the back of his truck. He lost the rest of the package on the way home, but Dead wrote his address on the tape, too.*

*This story taken from the Necrobutcher interview in the documentary "Pure loving Mayhem" - it appears that there's a similar letter addressed to their friend Metalion (editor of Slayer magazine) with a "sacrifice" was for Mayhem. The letter mentioned more dead mice, and being unable to use rats because they were too expensive. Original letter: http://imgur.com/mreKKql

Like any hospitable band would do in response to the token gesture of internationally mailing the decomposing remains of a crucified animal, they invited Dead to move to Norway to join their band and live with them. Mayhem were going to live up to their name. So would Dead :suicide:

Who would've thought this guy was crazy?

You're probably thinking "this is not going to end well," and it sure didn't. That's not for a couple years though. Before we get to the bloody end, let's explore how they got there.

Let's set the atmosphere a bit. You know how teenagers think switchblades and brass knuckles are the coolest, toughest, most badass thing ever? They did the same thing with medieval weapons. They posed with swords and spiked mauls. They kept escalating it into adulthood. It was perfectly normal for them to keep spears and knives and guns lying around. What could go wrong?

Euronymous, with spiked maul

Mayhem wasn't the most productive band. Formed in '84, they had a couple demos and an 18-minute record to their name. They rarely played live. Dead joined in '88, and they managed half a dozen gigs and two studio tracks by the end of 1990. Dead didn't have a job, and he lived in the house outside of town where they rehearsed, along with their guitarist, Euronymous. They both thrived off each other and antagonized each other. A lot.

Dead was mentally ill. He suffered from the Cotard delusion (that's an unnerving Wikipedia article on its own), believing that he had died as a child in a tragic accident, which he actually survived. Most of all, though, was the mental illness. I think it's safe to say that he was not helped at all by living in a foreign country, without a job, only a band where his most self-destructive behavior was showcased. He was also just a sadistic weirdo in general. He hated cats. He kept a spear outside and would grab it and try to chase down and kill every cat he saw. He was never successful, a point which Euronymous teased him about.

Euronymous, with sword

Euronymous was also kind of a jerk. Perhaps he just didn't think it all the way through when making living arrangements with a roommate whose introduction was a rotting carcass, but they got on each others' nerves over the years. Dead once left the house, driven out by Euronymous blasting electronic music to bother him, and decided to go sleep in the woods. Euronymous responded by blindly firing a shotgun into the night, to further antagonize him.

As much as they were at odds and weren't traditionally productive, they did a lot together to develop the aesthetics which defined the band. All of Dead's death-obsessed neuroses were quite unique. Euronymous was sociable and helped dramaticize them. Dead starved and cut himself for therapeutic effect. Euronymous bragged about it in letters. Dead whiffed dead animals for fun. Euronymous encouraged him to bring them on stage. Dead threw them at the crowd. Euronymous became an egomaniac and bragged about it. It was a hostile environment and they loved it. They drove crowds away, and taunted unresponsive audiences by shouting "are you dead?"

Mayhem, circa 1990

An aside, regarding the shirts worn above, Mayhem reveled in the insanity of their contemporaries. Blasphemy were infamous for their photos of grave desecration, and Sadistik Exekution were ridiculously vulgar, putting their signature word "fukk" on everything from their bodies to the master tapes of their self-titled album, which was then named after the message "We Are Death... Fukk You" and followed up by the albums "Fukk" and "Fukk II" - hilarious!

They weren't alone in playfully antagonizing people. Euronymous sent death threats for fun. Oh man, would that come back to bite him in the rear end! Remember what I said about them keeping guns around? Future Mayhem bassist Varg Vikernes sent Dead some ammo and encouraged him to shoot himself. I guess he learned from Dead that sending weird poo poo in the mail was a good way to land a job. They were a rough bunch to roll with.

Dead, still alive, in better times

Several years of strife led to fruition at the end of 1990. The band recorded two tracks in the studio for a compilation, the soon-to-be-famous "Projections of a Stained Mind" compilation. They embarked on a brief tour and recorded the shows. Two of them, recorded on November 26 in Leipzig, Germany and November 28 in Sarpsburg, Norway, would become famous. They both had iconic album covers. ;)

Live in Leipzig, photograph taken before the next part happened

Despite this success, tensions at home were stronger than ever, with Dead and Euronymous getting on each others' nerves and destroying their friendship. One day in April 91', Euronymous came home to find himself locked out. He pounded on the door to no response. He left and drove to the nearest payphone and called Necrobutcher to ask if Dead was at his house. He replied, "he's probably hanging in his room."

Euronymous drove back to the house and climbed in a window. Now, this being a bachelor pad, they didn't exactly take care of their cutlery. Dead had slashed his arms open with a kitchen knife, but couldn't achieve the desired result. He fetched the shotgun which Euronymous once fired into the air to taunt him after driving from the house, loaded it with the ammo Vikernes sent him, and blew his head off.

Well, maybe only half of his head. You see... ... ... (pictured: Dead, postmortem) :nms: http://i.imgur.com/jMyAbxH.jpg :nms: (yeah, that's an album cover)

Euronymous also had a lot of metal things go through his brain at the time. He spent three years building a band with this lunatic and here he was, alone in the house with his roommate's body, killed by his gun. People cope with shock and tragedy in strange ways. Euronymous decided to one-up his frontman for the final time and make him famous forever. He went and bought a Polaroid camera, arranged the knife and shotgun, then took pictures. Dead was immortalized. His suicide note infamously included the line "please excuse all the blood" - added after he failed with the knife.

He called back his bassist the next day to let him know that the singer had killed himself, and he took pictures. Necrobutcher told him to not call him back until he got rid of the pictures.

Keeping his life's work in mind, Euronymous never called him back. Needing both a bassist and a singer, he sent a letter to Abhorrent frontman Stian "Occultus" Johansen, asking him to join the band. That wasn't the only letter he sent. He mailed fragments of skull, brain, and lead to friends of Dead. (they still have them) He boasted that "Dead killed himself because he lived only for the true old black metal scene and lifestyle." He would spend the rest of his life making Mayhem more mayhemic and being a morbid egomaniac. Occultus soon decided that Mayhem was too crazy and left the band. They replaced him with the guy who sent Dead the ammo, Varg "Count Grishnackh" Vikernes, and also brought on a second guitarist, Snorre "Blackthorn" Ruch.

This concludes Part 1. Part 2 will deal with a bit more context and history, as well as Mayhem in the aftermath of Dead's suicide. That means murders and church burnings, and when there's only one member left, they finally release an album.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zodijackylite posted:

Sadistik Exekution

This is the most black metal name ever. What a bunch of edgelords.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Norway in the 80's and 90's sounds like a whimsical place where you could just mail people crucified mice, shotgun shells and pieces of brain willy nilly with naught a care for the authorities. *A simpler time*

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a garbage man

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

WickedHate posted:

This is the most black metal name ever. What a bunch of edgelords.

That is probably the most apt description. Fed up with living in some of the most peaceful and safe countries in the world, they decided to act out in the most extreme ways possible, to "scare the normals".

Also, I believe Euronymous didn't even want to record or sell anything, and when he did finally decide to sell tapes through his store "Helvete" ("Hell"), he originally wanted people to fill out application forms, in order to even be allowed to buy their music. Basically, you had to prove you were evil enough for him.

I have a friend who's got a gigantic tape collection of mostly black metal. Most of it is like 1 of only 20 tapes ever made of that album, released on various extremely obscure Eastern European or South American labels that you can only order from if you know someone who knows someone. Forget about online stores or even email, for most of them you have to send a letter or call them directly. Or you have to know which obscure unannounced tape trader get-together to attend. It's even more ridiculous than it sounds.

And of course 99,9% of these tapes sound like absolute poo poo. A running joke in my group of metal-listening friends is that proper black metal must be recorded on a busted Fisher-Price tape recorder using the built-in microphone, stuffed inside an empty oil barrel in the middle of a blizzard.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I just spent a lot of time looking stuff up about this and yeah, Euronymous was a huge prick who only cared about image. Cliche as poo poo too. "I just want to spread EVIL, I worship EVIL, misery and pain is good for it furthers the causes of EVIL!" How the hell could he think this was fooling anyone?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

He did fool a lot of impressionable teenagers, mostly.

Try reading the black metal thread in NMD, it gets pretty ridiculous sometimes. And don't you dare imply that black metal and the whole obsession with being as EVIL as possible is a bit silly. It is vitally important to dedicated black metal fans that the music is never described as "beautiful" or "pleasing" or another other such "weak" adjective. The whole point of it to them is that the music is as ugly and divisive as possible, in order to "scare the normals". They also don't give a poo poo about murders, nazis or any other deplorable things happening in the scene, some of them actually applaud it, as it just makes it even more edgy.

So yeah, everything is as it has always been in the BM scene. Varg still has a huge, slobbering fanbase that worships his every word.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 10:55 on Aug 18, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So, this?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah pretty much, they're all hipsters at heart.

Black metallers will never be as extreme as GG Allin, so they're pretty much just posers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm learning nothing I didn't already know about Bands That Go "Wuuurgh!" here, but the write-up is good. Keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Or, indeed, this