Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Old people just really don't give a poo poo about anyone younger than them, do they?

I can't wait until I'm real old. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now the biggest source of Austin immigrants wont be from CA it'll be from BGTX.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

what is BGTX

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

blue squares posted:

10 more years....

Looking at the numbers, the 46-65 set are pretty hard in the tank for Trump too, but maybe not enough to offset young+demographic changes, especially since there won't be a friendly SCOTUS to uphold their voting rights fuckery.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

blue squares posted:

what is BGTX

Battleground Texas (I'm assuming)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/765571878823956480

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Parachute posted:

Old people just really don't give a poo poo about anyone younger than them, do they?

I can't wait until I'm real old. :getin:

Why wait until then?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

Republicans really, really seems to be against the high speed rail project. Now individual counties are passing laws to interfere with it and don't you know that's just fine with a bunch of republican lawmakers. So long as you're not banning fracking or plastic bags.

That type of project legitimately has (rich) bipartisan opposition. Texas just has lots of Republicans.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Even without Trump you still have Abbot and the tea party running around like psychopaths , scaring minority and women voters away from the GOP, that's on top of the fall in the price of oil exposing years of mismanagement and fuckery, plus Johnson running around with 5-10% , which is going to gently caress up some of the gerrymanders around Houston and Dallas. .

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXFy-cl46Wc

Austin Tourism video c. 1987.

Can you imagine how much Austin would own if it was still under 500k population.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXFy-cl46Wc

Austin Tourism video c. 1987.

Can you imagine how much Austin would own if it was still under 500k population.

It's easy to romanticize the past. As much as the slacker era seems awesome now, Austin was also a weirdly desperate place back in the day. Like, everything was cheap and low-key but that's because the majority of the city was also fairly poor and didn't have much opportunity to advance themselves. The best jobs were at UT or working for the state, and they weren't that great (especially since they usually required a bachelor's degree).

Also, we were a real amateur city. Like, there was all kinds of interesting experimental art, but the art stayed amateur because nobody would/could pay for it. Like, maybe your band would get $20-$50 for a gig to split between the 3-8 of you, but if you were doing theater or dance or poetry or anything else you were pretty much expected to be performing for free. Austin was a great place to find out what you wanted to do, but if you wanted to actually succeed at it you had to leave for somewhere else. Things were also really insular, and Austin didn't have much cultural cachet anywhere else. I can't remember who said the quote, but I remember it ringing very true in the late 90s - "You can be a god in Austin and not even be able to get laid in St. Louis."

Sure, you could work a part-time job at the IRS from January to April and make enough money to pay your $75/month rent for the whole year, then spend the rest of the year playing with your band and drinking lone star around the firepit in somebody's back yard. And honestly, as much as that can be paradise for a while, it's not exactly something you can plan a retirement around.

Also, the food was absolute poo poo. Notice how they showed a picture of Taco Cabana in the tourist video when talking about local cuisine?

So yea, as much as the tech money (and the new population) hosed up the slacker's paradise that Austin used to be, it also gave more opportunities for awesome poo poo to develop.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah but you could drive on I-35.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Sounds like 1990s Austin was 2000s College Station, but with the state capital.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The Mandingo posted:

Sounds like 1990s Austin was 2000s College Station, but with the state capital.

No, the music scene here in College Station has never been good.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I know nothing of Austin's demographics from that time period but that video made the city look exceptionally white and monoculture.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

e_angst posted:

if you were doing theater or dance or poetry or anything else you were pretty much expected to be performing for free.

It's not like people pay you for theatre, dance, or poetry nowadays, unless you're doing it in the one or two venues per city that have oil money.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dameius posted:

I know nothing of Austin's demographics from that time period but that video made the city look exceptionally white and monoculture.

Well we didn't know about diversity before 1994.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

e_angst posted:

Notice how they showed a picture of Taco Cabana in the tourist video when talking about local cuisine?

Man, honestly I'd kill for some Taco C on the reg. It beats any of the poo poo I can get up north.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
Another Austin time capsule is the 1991 movie Slacker which is odd and plotless but is still definitely Austin alright.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/765990291421691908

Actually, I'm in favor of the OK wall.

The rest is out now:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/766004260047822848

Houston is Texas' baseball team, get hosed Rangers.

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/766005101295202304

Agree.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 17, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

zoux posted:

Houston is Texas' baseball team, get hosed First Place Texas Rangers.

Fixed that for ya.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never liked Dallas teams, dunno why. Except the Cowboys, but that's because my formative football years were the mid 90s.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I still want the Oilers back :(

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I can't really talk about my team anymore. :smith:

I mean, I can, but I don't really want to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

I still want the Oilers back :(

My dad is from Houston and was a massive Oilers fan and I still remember watching that 93 Houston-Buffalo game with him because it was the first time I got that football could be amazing.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
zoux I think maybe we could be friends.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm mostly a rabid UT fanboy so probably not.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zoux posted:

Well we didn't know about diversity before 1994.

And then we learned about it and went a bit nuts. Keep Austin Weird at all costs, y'all!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

I'm mostly a rabid UT fanboy so probably not.

Who's tentatively ready for September the 4th???? Cause I have no loving clue what to expect from this season.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jiro posted:

Who's tentatively ready for September the 4th???? Cause I have no loving clue what to expect from this season.

Same, except from A&M.

Well, I expect at least 3 high profile games we lose, but after Auburn a year or so ago who knows.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jiro posted:

I expect to receive an email every week informing me of where I can and cannot park

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Welp, it looks like Laredo just had a court overturn its plastic bag ban.

quote:

A state appeals court has struck down a plastic bag ban in Laredo in a high-profile fight over local control that could ultimately impact similar laws in other Texas cities.

The Fourth Court of Appeals on Wednesday sided with merchants and free-market groups who argued that Laredo’s ban on single-use bags is illegal because it is pre-empted by state law regulating solid waste disposal.

The 2-1 ruling overturned a lower court’s decision, the latest setback for environmentalists and advocates of local control in Texas.

Laredo, which estimates it once went through some 120 million plastic bags each year, is among several Texas cities — including Austin, Fort Stockton and Port Aransas — that have sought to regulate them to reduce waste.

The city argued that its ban was designed to beautify the city and reduce clogs in storm drains, not to manage solid waste as barred by the state law.

The lawsuit, filed by the Laredo Merchants Association, was the first challenge to such a ban to be heard in court. And it triggered briefs from 20 Texas lawmakers, a prominent free-market group and the Texas Municipal League — who squabbled over cities’ power to regulate commerce.

At this point we're really just turning into a state governed by right wing talk radio.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good gently caress plastic bag bans ¬_¬

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Good gently caress plastic bag bans ¬_¬

Bag bans own and I love them.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I try to use reusables like some dirty Californian, but I tend to forget most times.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I will destroy plastic bags.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Seriously, since I left Austin I've been seeing them everywhere.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Dallas had the ban all of 6 months before they repealed it. It really isn't that much of a burden

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The TribFest schedule has been posted for anyone who's interested. It looks like most of the same people as usual (which includes some big gets), but they also got Vicente Fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

The TribFest schedule has been posted for anyone who's interested. It looks like most of the same people as usual (which includes some big gets), but they also got Vicente Fox.

Ah at last he has returned to America to personally apologize to Donald Trump.

He's gonna be in town next week :negative: