Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Picking up Aluren in response to enchantment removal seems pretty irrelevant unless you were sitting on the Stalker from the beginning, because they can just kill Aluren before you get Stalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elyv posted:

Picking up Aluren in response to enchantment removal seems pretty irrelevant unless you were sitting on the Stalker from the beginning, because they can just kill Aluren before you get Stalker.

Sure, it only matters in the proportion of games where you draw it before getting Aluren down. That's still a pretty substantial upside a pretty relevant chunk of the time.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Jabor posted:

Sure, it only matters in the proportion of games where you draw it before getting Aluren down. That's still a pretty substantial upside a pretty relevant chunk of the time.

This deck is the reason my legacy jund sideboard has 3 krosan grips in it.

Stupid deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Stupid deck.

Playing non blue decks in legacy is a feel bad.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Stupid deck.

Kills Tops Dead, also Counterbalance, also Blood Moon (with only 1 color of basic). Seems fine anyway.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Is Legacy Food Chain any more real now that Eternal Scourge was printed? Or is it still a bad aggro deck/bad combo deck?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Is Legacy Food Chain any more real now that Eternal Scourge was printed? Or is it still a bad aggro deck/bad combo deck?

The problem was never that it needed more Misthollow Griffins that didn't pitch to Force. The problem was (and still is) that it's a bad combination of BUG Delver and Twin except it's like a 14 card combo instead of 2.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Hellsau posted:

hey we still think travis woo is a doofus right

https://twitter.com/TravisWizard/status/765783071559917568

yeah

Seems like a fair question, actually.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

There are a few locals here who borrow decks and go prize big events. I don't like doing this because it is a lot of cash to loan someone and, as selfish as this sounds, what's in it for me?
I've sunk a lot of money into these decks. Why should I fund someone else's prizes?
It is different at local events. I used to build and loan a lot of modern decks to get our modern night going at a local store. And people who prized would help me pick up cards to finish decks (basically splitting winnings).
What do other folks do? I'm not talking about lending decks to close friends or people you travel with, but like casual acquaintances.
Edit: Other factors include how long the deck will take to build and if it robs from stuff I'm using. There is a big difference between throwing someone you always have together and making something from scratch.
I might sound petty and bitter (and I am) but we just have a few irritating players around here that do this.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 18, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dragonlair is a reprint

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Why does Jund only run one basic Forest in most builds when Blood Moon exists and they have Finks/Thrun/Courser out of the board?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

Why does Jund only run one basic Forest in most builds when Blood Moon exists and they have Finks/Thrun/Courser out of the board?

A lot of game ones where you want to cast liliana on turn three and far fewer game twos where you want to cast Thrun through a blood moon.

Playing a second forest is fine if you want it though.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
What the hell is "Goad target creature"

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Next turn it attacks someone that isn't you.

Edit: Here is the reminder text: (Until your next turn, that creature attacks each combat if able and attacks a player other than you if able.)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

Dragonlair is a reprint

Grenzo is good because of "a creature". Mono-red decks are kind of bad in Commander, but at least they're fun, and you can drop him and swing with a bunch of Goblin tokens to get some of your opponents' spells.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

There are a few locals here who borrow decks and go prize big events. I don't like doing this because it is a lot of cash to loan someone and, as selfish as this sounds, what's in it for me?
I've sunk a lot of money into these decks. Why should I fund someone else's prizes?
It is different at local events. I used to build and loan a lot of modern decks to get our modern night going at a local store. And people who prized would help me pick up cards to finish decks (basically splitting winnings).
What do other folks do? I'm not talking about lending decks to close friends or people you travel with, but like casual acquaintances.
Edit: Other factors include how long the deck will take to build and if it robs from stuff I'm using. There is a big difference between throwing someone you always have together and making something from scratch.
I might sound petty and bitter (and I am) but we just have a few irritating players around here that do this.

I loan modern decks out to kids and adults in my store who don't have modern decks, or are trying to decide what they might want to put together. I haven't had anything stolen yet, because these kids are regulars who know that if it happens, I'm not calling the police or anything, I'm just going to stop loaning them out.

It's paid off pretty well, because they're respectful, and not rough with my cards, and some of the other adults that play have noticed, and have started giving me (cheaper) cards they think I'd like or need. One guy had bought a Spanish promo wurmcoil engine off eBay, they shipped him two and didn't want the second one back, so he gave it to me for my amulet bloom sideboard, and another guy knew I was looking for a couple of collective defiance for game day, and picked me up a copy at a store half an hour away while he was there.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Man; I'm so up in the air right now for FNM tomorrow.

I normally play Jund, but kinda wanna bring Abzan Evolution (Melira combo). However, I'm pretty certain people will be sideboarding for dredge, and that poo poo shuts down the combo pretty hard.

So I'll probably just take Jund again. In the end it doesnt really matter, so I'm wasting energy even thinking about this

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Time to take my Purphoros EDH deck out of mothballs.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 18, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:captainpop:

Bravo

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah. It's also doable card generation in a color that sucks balls at it. Too bad it is cast instead of play, but it IS only 2CMC.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Neato. So if you attack with 4 critters, does that mean you get to exile the top 4 cards? Or just 1?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Not parsing that last line at all. "if you guessed correctly for a card named Spire Phantasm"?

what?

(edit: VVV Ah, okay, that makes sense, yeah.)

odiv fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 18, 2016

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

odiv posted:

Not parsing that last line at all. "if you guessed correctly for a card named Spire Phantasm"?

what?

If you draft multiples you only need to get one correct. Or if you get both correct you're not going to be able to tell the difference between the two copies when you play it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I used to lend cards to people all the time. Nobody has ever given me anything, but I have gotten stuck waiting to get my cards back for 2 rounds that I didn't want to be there for. So I don't let people borrow cards anymore unless I'm planning on sticking around after drawing all lands 4 games in a row and 0/2 dropping.

Edit: I lied. I let someone borrow my judge Flusterstorms for the GP a few months ago and he brought me a bunch of sweet rk post tokens for my cube.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 18, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If someone loans me a substantial amount of cards or a full deck for a tournament and I cash I buy them dinner. But I also loan out cards all the time and don't expect anything in return other than being able to borrow cards from that person hopefully in the future if needed.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I loaned a buddy an entire modern deck for a PPTQ. If he won it I wouldn't have even thought about asking him for anything... I'm surprised there would be any expectation for compensation beyond "thanks, buddy." It's not like the cards were doing anything sitting in the deckbox at home.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Owen Turtenwald was loaned his first constructed deck for one tournament and won it. Really makes u think.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The type of person that would expect me to give them part of the prizes when they loaned me cards is the type of person I wouldn't borrow cards from. The "whats in it for me" type of person isn't a type of person I would hang out with.

I definitely loan more than I borrow though. So far I haven't ever had any issues.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Walked posted:

Man; I'm so up in the air right now for FNM tomorrow.

I normally play Jund, but kinda wanna bring Abzan Evolution (Melira combo). However, I'm pretty certain people will be sideboarding for dredge, and that poo poo shuts down the combo pretty hard.

So I'll probably just take Jund again. In the end it doesnt really matter, so I'm wasting energy even thinking about this

Play UW TurboFog

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ThePeavstenator posted:

Owen Turtenwald was loaned his first constructed deck for one tournament and won it. Really makes u think.

that piece of poo poo

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

When I loan cards to someone I make sure that they pay me the delta of TCG Low while the cards are in their possession (if the cards have increased in value). For amounts under $1 I obviously don't expect immediate payment (lol), so I just keep a ledger and apply a modest interest rate.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

rabidsquid posted:

that piece of poo poo

He talks about how he knew Owen as a kid and has said to him "I'm proud of you kid" jokingly on more than one occasion. He's like a proxy sports dad but for MTG.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

odiv posted:

When I loan cards to someone I make sure that they pay me the delta of TCG Low while the cards are in their possession (if the cards have increased in value). For amounts under $1 I obviously don't expect immediate payment (lol), so I just keep a ledger and apply a modest interest rate.

Someone actually did this to me when I went in a 5K not long after I started.

I got second so it actually worked out, but it was still a poo poo thing to do in retrospect.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

80s James Hetfield posted:

Play UW TurboFog

Took this deck to Modern FNM last week and regretted it halfway through round 1. Just play Jund and get some reps in with it, didn't you just put it together or was that someone else?

More generally, how do you all get in practice with decks? I'm finishing up Junk and trying to test it out but my store only does Modern once every 3-4 weeks, and I don't have any friends around here who play. People at our last Modern event were happy to playtest in between rounds but I'm not the kind of guy who can randomly roll up to a LGS and talk people into throwing down (provided they have Modern decks in them in the first place)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sickening posted:

The type of person that would expect me to give them part of the prizes when they loaned me cards is the type of person I wouldn't borrow cards from. The "whats in it for me" type of person isn't a type of person I would hang out with.

I definitely loan more than I borrow though. So far I haven't ever had any issues.

mcmagic posted:

If someone loans me a substantial amount of cards or a full deck for a tournament and I cash I buy them dinner. But I also loan out cards all the time and don't expect anything in return other than being able to borrow cards from that person hopefully in the future if needed.

I loan out and borrow cards all the time. Hell I borrowed the base for miracles as I pick it up, but I'm not buying into a legacy until I test drive it for 6 months.

But for standard and modern we loan cards back and forth all over the place and never expect anything in return.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Well, that's certainly a reprint.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Oh boy. Hopefully this makes the beautiful white boarded unlimited one go down in price...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Well, that's certainly a reprint.

gently caress YES.

My legacy infect is almost complete....

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Welp, legacy infect just got a bit easier to buy into. Would shockland infect be fine against everything except burn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mehall posted:

Welp, legacy infect just got a bit easier to buy into. Would shockland infect be fine against everything except burn?

Mythic rare

• Locked thread