Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still don't get why I should care about the NX when the Wii U was a commercial failure. It seems like Nintendo should be going in a completely different direction now and get out of home consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Still don't get why I should care about the NX when the Wii U was a commercial failure. It seems like Nintendo should be going in a completely different direction now and get out of home consoles.

You don't consider combining home & mobile consoles to be a new direction?

And I'm pretty sure Splatoon and Mario Maker weren't commercial failures... considering consoles themselves are often sold at a loss, that's not something that should be overlooked.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 18, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

I said come in! posted:

Having a home console you can play on the go is extremely cool and it will blow the pants off everyone with its amazing line-up

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

You don't consider combining home & mobile consoles to be a new direction?

If that is what Nintendo is really doing, they probably are not.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I said come in! posted:

They should make mobile games.

Wait a just a minute!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why should I care about Coke, New Coke was a commercial failure

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

It's the thing that PC gamers complained about for about 5 years because it meant they couldn't play games in DOS anymore ("muh resources!")
ok

whats a direct x

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Great Joe posted:

whats a direct x

It's a Nintendo Direct about the Nintendo X (NX).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

smell this posted:

They should make mobile games.

Wait a just a minute!

Okay, so they are going to do both at once and be good at neither as a result.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Hmmmmm I guess we'll have to wait and see when the games come out.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

I said come in! posted:

I too remember when social phenomenon Pokémon GO was a massive flop

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Do you want Nintendo to keep makibg games or not

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Great Joe posted:

ok

whats a direct x

It's a thing that makes it so you don't need to know your sound card's IRQ anymore

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I too remember when social phenomenon Pokémon GO was a massive flop

Except that Nintendo has nothing to do with Pokemon Go?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If Nintendo had made Pokemon Go they'd have shot themselves in the dick somehow like only releasing it on Windows Phone or forcing you to buy a Bluetooth GPS receiver that doesnt work as well as the one in your phone to play it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Except that Nintendo has nothing to do with Pokemon Go?

"Nothing" is inaccurate.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Do you think working on a game system is going to take precious resources from thier mobile game development?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

"Nothing" is inaccurate.

lol their logo isn't even shown anywhere on Pokemon Go. Other then owning 30% of Game Freak, Nintendo has close to zero involvement with Pokemon. Nintendo is making almost nothing off of Go.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tengames posted:

Do you think working on a game system is going to take precious resources from thier mobile game development?

Especially if said system unifies their handheld and console divisions.

I said come in! posted:

lol their logo isn't even shown anywhere on Pokemon Go. Other then owning 30% of Game Freak, Nintendo has close to zero involvement with Pokemon.

It seems to be doing well for their stocks and profits.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 18, 2016

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

If Nintendo had made Pokemon Go they'd have shot themselves in the dick somehow like only releasing it on Windows Phone or forcing you to buy a Bluetooth GPS receiver that doesnt work as well as the one in your phone to play it.

yeah but that Pokemon/Miiverse integration though......

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Especially if said system unifies their handheld and console divisions.

It seems to be doing well for their shares and profits.

They were doing well but it didn't last long: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-25/nintendo-set-to-plunge-after-saying-pokemon-go-s-impact-limited

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

When's the Waluigi Amibo out?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you don't understand why you should be interested in the NX wth are you doing wasting our time and eyeballs posting in the NX thread :mad:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

When's the Waluigi Amibo out?

November 4th, also glow in the dark Boo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

smell this posted:

yeah but that Pokemon/Miiverse integration though......

...would have been the first thing western audiences expected to be there, and for some reason it wouldn't be. Nintendo would react to people asking why in a way that makes it clear that it never occurred to them.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

also glow in the dark Boo.

the crown jewel

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

I said come in! posted:

If that is what Nintendo is really doing, they probably are not.

Honestly I don't think so, I think they are killing their home console and this happens to be a handheld you can connect to a TV.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you don't understand why you should be interested in the NX wth are you doing wasting our time and eyeballs posting in the NX thread :mad:

Warn everybody that they can get third-party games and better hardware by buying a gaming PC PS4 because it's powerful but not confusing and scary and $5,000 that I still believe gaming PCs are valued at.

But wait for the next version of the PS4 to get the most RAMs and TFLOPs.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

November 4th, also glow in the dark Boo.

This is really very good, thanks. 👻

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

It's a thing that makes it so you don't need to know your sound card's IRQ anymore
I'm just having one of those times like when somebody calls a flat plane a "texture"

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

How would you even get DirectX to work on a Linux ARM system?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

katkillad2 posted:

Honestly I don't think so, I think they are killing their home console and this happens to be a handheld you can connect to a TV.

It's six in one, half a dozen in the other now that mobile tech is as good as it is, and iterating to new heights much faster and much more frequently than consoles. We might very soon live in a world where new NXes are hitting every year like phones.

Provided they can convince customers to do so. That's the part I think they'll most have trouble with as people don't keep up with the Joneses in video games like they do with phones.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Saoshyant posted:

That's an apples and oranges comparison. Sega kept reducing the price of the Dreamcast throughout 2000 to try and sway people away from the PS2 hype. Their logic was that they would recoup the costs with software sales. When that turned out not to work due to piracy and a very small installed user base, all the while the price of the components did not go down, Sega just started bleeding money on every system sold and bleeding hard. They had to stop.

Nintendo's Wii? They kept earning money for every system sold. The huge number of users also meant that for every 1 people that would pirate, there were 100 others who would legitimately buy games because they didn't know/care that they could pirate.

also the dreamcast exploit was a problem with the media CD stuff being able to boot unsigned code and they simply removed media CD functionality for the dreamcast version that can't pirate games. as far as i know nobody has actually cracked the dreamcast's copy protection it was just easy to circumvent

the wii, though.... oh geez. it has a co-processor that bootstraps the main OS and also manages hardware functions like USB and such, and the code that it executes is called IOS. instead of having one version of IOS it actually has multiple branches and variations of the same software, and not even in it's totality. if you run a game that requires an IOS that your system doesn't have installed it will install it. so any given wii has like a dozen variations of the same system software with minor variations for different games and peripherals. this is good for compatibility i guess, because a wii game will p much always work on any wii regardless of it's system software. this is bad when the primary entry point for your console is a save game exploit for a launch game that you can't patch without possibly loving up compatibility with any other game that uses one of the launch IOS

theres so many save game exploits for the wii for that reason, and nintendo could never possibly patch them. stuff like the system menu exploits like bannerbomb were easier for them to patch but at that point the system was already cracked wide open

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Great Joe posted:

you install an arm version of windows

direct x is microsoft's graphics API. its like openGL but microsoft. technically there really shouldn't be a difference but these ports are done by like two people and rather than painfully recreating some stuff that they can't directly port over they just went gently caress it and didn't include them

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

:confused: I don't understand how not killing off every other division means that stuff like the AC mobile game has to fail.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Nintendonkadonkadonx

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Great Joe posted:

Well, first you port it, then you optimize it. It has to be optimized otherwise games won't run well.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

DF has an actually capture x1 comparison video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm16p4qYjF4

its much stronger than the xb360 but held back by andriod's lack of direct x in this particular port
ok but uhhh

nigga crab pollock posted:

direct x is microsoft's graphics API. its like openGL but microsoft. technically there really shouldn't be a difference but these ports are done by like two people and rather than painfully recreating some stuff that they can't directly port over they just went gently caress it and didn't include them
oh so direct "x" is better in every way than opengl, got it

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Great Joe posted:

ok but uhhh

oh so direct "x" is better in every way than opengl, got it

And also, even though the X1 looks good on an old game like Resident Evil 5, it just won't keep up with newer games in the next 3 - 5 years and will run into the exact same problems as the Wii U did with 3rd party support. Another person above said that they think the NX will have a custom tegra processor so maybe like an X1.5 instead of going the full X2 route for cost savings. That would be at least a bit better for future proofing the console a bit. Just hope they don't go with an X1 stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I think it's clear that Nintendo has long since stopped caring about third party multiplats. If they sell enough cheap consoles the third parties will come to them with their usual just-on-Nintendo shovelware garbage. See also: DS and Wii

You already have a PS4 for Madden anyway.

• Locked thread