Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
My first golden weapon will be Hanjo for maximum tilt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Main Paineframe posted:

I wouldn't really say it required skill to execute, at least in the FPS sense. There's zero aim required and basically no positioning - it's just a totally free melee attack if you press another button right afterward. That's not exactly hard, it just means you have to practice it a bit to build up muscle memory (or just use a macro). It's not like ultimates would be meaningfully more skillful if you had to press two buttons to use them.

You aren't wrong, but as a person who's played fighting games on a casual level and couldn't animation cancel to save his life, attack canceling with Genji made me feel like a cool dude.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

redweird posted:

My first golden weapon will be Hanjo for maximum tilt

You'll no longer be a hipster if his changes make it through PTR. He is really, really good when he can actually move and no longer has to account for arrow arc.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Teikanmi posted:

Get gold Symmetra gun because no one loving has one

We're both good with Symmetra and Lucio, so either of those would be a compromise. But I know it'll be Junkrat vs Zarya instead.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Internet Kraken posted:

Part of me wonders is if the lore and characters were actually well written, would people on the internet still be absolutely crazy about drawing all these characters doing stupid poo poo? Its like they gave barely enough for people to latch onto these characters which somehow makes people like them more since they can fill in the blanks themselves. All anyone cares about is the fan content. All those shorts and comics Blizzard releases seem to basically be ignored because they suck.

Or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places and people do eat that poo poo up when its released.

The shorts are amazing because of the quality. Like, the best cinematic videogame shorts in the business

The comics.. not so great

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

keyframe posted:

Lack of comp mode in live servers really emphasized how much quickplay sucks rear end. I think I will just play comp on ptr till season 2.

Seriously, playing last night was absolutely miserable. I'm gonna force myself to stay on the live servers until the summer event ends but then it'll be nothing but PTR for me.

QP during the comp season was at least the silly do-whatever gimmick mode. Now it's split between people still treating it that way and people going tryhard as gently caress, and it's just bad.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Playing QP last night, that's all I have played, I noticed way more gimmicky bullshit then when Comp was running. It's just like everyone who was playing Comp decided "well, I played serious for the last month time to gently caress around."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Today's game for quickplay:

If you're in a group, inquire as to which of the opposing team wants to be Wesley. Usually it's whoever's cool. Sometimes you designate a person Wesley.

Wesley doesn't get hurt. Wesley just gets perpetually stunned, frozen, ice walled, or trapped. Just not killed.

Constantly attempt to protect Wesley. Wave at him when he or she shoots you.

Still manage to win, even with Wesley.

Congratulate him on being protected.

We got some amazing reactions out of that one.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Last night I ran into one of two types of comps: gimmick (all reapers, 1 zen, but it was only one match), or the "camp like a motherfucker" comp: Bastion, Rein, Torb, Sym, D.Va, maybe a second Torb or D.Va. Put Genji in there for attack. Hell, one team went dual Bast/dual Rein at the end stretch of Route 66 because we had the cheek to push them that far back.

It was completely and utterly unfun; we weren't playing our best games to be honest, but we kept getting curbstomped the whole night. I think I went something like 3-9 in the end. :negative:

Please come back, comp. I thought I wouldn't like having the playerbase divided, but if it keeps nights like these "optional" I'm all for it.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I try actively to not allow poo poo talking to get to me but drat I had to mute all chat last night. I have never had so many lovely people talking poo poo in any of my matches. People would beat us and still talk poo poo. I miss competitive.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

This is why you turn off chat and the auto joining of choice channels.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Qp to me seems to be the place to just grind xp and be offensive Symmetra and its pretty great so far.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I played my placement matches + 1 game of competitive all season and QP the rest of the time and QP was exactly like comp except for the special rules of course. If there are suddenly a heavy influx of gimmicks and other boring poo poo it's because people from comp are flooding back to QP and loving around more

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Also I epected to see way more golden guns floating around at this point but they're still pretty rare it seems, are people really that bad?

I peaked at rank 56 but only won about 45 games so it's gonna be at least another season before I have enough for gold

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
xposting from the tryhard thread

Does anyone have any tips on PS4 controller sensitivity? I've been using different setups for different heroes - Winston, Genji (though I never play him), Lucio, and D.Va all get relatively high sens for better mobility and quick turns. Everybody else is closer to the default, but i've probably bumped them up by 10 or 15 notches. Trying to balance having quick mobility for dealing with flanks/corners, especially a backline tracer, with not ruining my aim.

Did my placement matches yesterday for funsies and ended up at 64, so I'm not hopeless. But was thinking of making a real go at it for season 2.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zzulu posted:

I played my placement matches + 1 game of competitive all season and QP the rest of the time and QP was exactly like comp except for the special rules of course. If there are suddenly a heavy influx of gimmicks and other boring poo poo it's because people from comp are flooding back to QP and loving around more

I split my time between comp and qp all season and the games in the two modes could not have been more different.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

At least fourth of my matches in QP had chances of lol random comps like 6 torbs or comps designed to be grindy and unfun like the time we had to grind through 2 bastions, torb ,lucio, rein, and junkrat (a couple of pharahs destroy this quite nicely)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Bastion short in a few minutes right

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

followup overwatch hot take - the lore is poo poo and makes no sense in the context of the gameplay

D.Va has a pre-game line where she breaks kayfabe and says "After this match is over..." to Reinhardt. This is the smoking gun confirming that in-universe, they're characters in a narrative-driven sport ala wrestling, as opposed to being on genuine missions.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://www.twitch.tv/blizzardatgamescom

where the short will be I think

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Supercar Gautier posted:

D.Va has a pre-game line where she breaks kayfabe and says "After this match is over..." to Reinhardt. This is the smoking gun confirming that in-universe, they're characters in a narrative-driven sport ala wrestling, as opposed to being on genuine missions.

Blizzard's commentary that gamers are so desensitised to violence that she views killing people in a warzone as a sport that makes her score go up. Video Games Cause Violence.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axPSTHRYpZw

Link to stream going on right now.

New legendary Reinhardt skin, the same armor in the new map.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

That is a really really good skin.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Tomorrows Ace posted:

Blizzard's commentary that gamers are so desensitised to violence that she views killing people in a warzone as a sport that makes her score go up. Video Games Cause Violence.

I will not have any of this sad fanfiction hooey implying that D.Va is anything other than happy and healthy and mentally well.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tomorrows Ace posted:

The fact that she's streaming combat operations live over the Internet from her meka is the darkest thing I've read so far. Those people she's shooting in the face, the things she's watching her teammates doing (eg: Mei)? This game has really genuinely dark undertones.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The reason why try-hards are try-hardering in QP is because the last competition placement took your QP stats into account: imagine if you had started off at rank 65, you would've automatically earned 300 gold-points without having to compete with entire teams of other try-hards all season.

I'm excited sandbagging/twinking/smurf accounts won't be a thing next season, 55-60 was exceptionally hard when the rank 40 mcree is secretly pro-mlg.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Fuuuuck that short was great

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

drat it, I bought Blackhardt like a week ago

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Papercut posted:

drat it, I bought Blackhardt like a week ago

you'll be okay, it's probably only available bundled with a WoW expansion pre-order or something

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Macaluso posted:

Fuuuuck that short was great

Turns out removing dialogue makes Blizzard products pretty loving great.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

youtube link for birdie goodness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to8yh83jlXg

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It won't stream at 1080 without having to pause it for buffering every 10s, ugh Thanks Steam

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 18, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Donnerberg posted:

Turns out removing dialogue makes Blizzard products pretty loving great.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It never ceases to amaze me how outstanding Blizzard Entertainment is at everything except writing. Someone go force Metzen into early retirement.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boogle posted:

The fact that she's streaming combat operations live over the Internet from her meka is the darkest thing I've read so far. Those people she's shooting in the face, the things she's watching her teammates doing (eg: Mei)? This game has really genuinely dark undertones.

Well remember she was usually shooting robots so it was OK. Right?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

The reason why try-hards are try-hardering in QP is because the last competition placement took your QP stats into account: imagine if you had started off at rank 65, you would've automatically earned 300 gold-points without having to compete with entire teams of other try-hards all season.

I'm excited sandbagging/twinking/smurf accounts won't be a thing next season, 55-60 was exceptionally hard when the rank 40 mcree is secretly pro-mlg.

Pretty sure this is just a myth

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

QP MMR and your Initial Comp placement MMR are not even remotely linked.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Skippy McPants posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how outstanding Blizzard Entertainment is at everything except writing. Someone go force Metzen into early retirement.

Yeah man it really peeves me how the writing in this Pixar FPS game just isn't up to snuff. Someone hit me up with the good video game writing ASAP, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
My initial season one comp placement matches had me killing people who were nowhere remotely near my skill level for my first two or three games, and then they slowly started to get a little bit more appropriate against me. I don't think QP MMR had anything to do with initial placement.

When I queued in the PTR comp, though, it instantly placed me in my first comp match with three other people besides myself sporting the top 500 icon, and there were two others on the team that had already placed as masters. I think your previous season's competitive MMR determines your placement match starting point for the next season.