Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

The people of america also want protection from the american government. I don't know if you've heard of a little thing called blm.

Incidentally, are you that insufferable hipster beer/burger/beard guy and if so, why am I bothering to talk to you as though you were a serious intellect amd not just instantly dismissing your worthless opinions?

Okay yeah, my first line there was a bit poo poo.

But that doesn't remove the fact that many of these peoples are well aware of what Russian involvement has brought in the past. Like the post-war deportations of Baltic peoples and Crimean Tartars to Sibera. They can also see how little has changed in the present, with the current and active repression of Tartars in Crimea.

I'm not sure what you're arguing here as you just need to look at how Putin deals with internal dissent (bullets, as Nemtsov found out) to see that he isn't going to be benevolent to any populations that fall into his sphere of influence.

I have no idea who this hipster guy is that you're talking about however :shrug:

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

this place stinks of trolls.
Xerxes is like a fresh wind in the thread.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Xerxes17 posted:

I'm not sure what you're arguing here as you just need to look at how Putin deals with internal dissent (bullets, as Nemtsov found out) to see that he isn't going to be benevolent to any populations that fall into his sphere of influence.

It doesn't follow. Stalin was extremely benevolent to populations under his influence, but also brutal when dealing with internal dissent.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

It doesn't follow. Stalin was extremely benevolent to populations under his influence, but also brutal when dealing with internal dissent.

There's quite a few countries/people who would strongly disagree with the first part there.

Also because of the latter doesn't mean that those who benefitted from this "benevolence" forgave Stalin / the state for what it did to dissenters.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

ewe2 posted:

With reference to the first point, please read this great blog post from Andrew Elder. He too thinks the end is in sight for Nauru and lays out the various reasons why this is going to be the same kind of botch revisionism we've come to know and love from our racists.

quote:

Acquiescence requires ignorance. Dutton is happy to supply as much ignorance as anyone could want, and Labor's embarrassment at the Nauru Files shows their reluctance to fight a weak government on this front. Nothing fosters ignorance like censorship (or the output of Chris Kenny, whose output is so anti-journalism you are less well informed after you've read it).

:drat:

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Xerxes17 posted:

There's quite a few countries/people who would strongly disagree with the first part there.

Also because of the latter doesn't mean that those who benefitted from this "benevolence" forgave Stalin / the state for what it did to dissenters.

Except most of those people are actually butthurt because their fascist relatives got killed. But the only cure for a fascist is a bullet. Also for kulaks.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

For the record, I'm not engaging in any more discussion about imperialism for the moment as I'm self-observing some maoist third worldist perspectives, and that's not good for me or for the thread. Bring back LF tho.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Except most of those people are actually butthurt because their fascist relatives got killed. But the only cure for a fascist is a bullet. Also for kulaks.

So all those Polish and Czech dudes who fought with the Allies against the Nazis and then later got shot/persecuted by the Soviets for their troubles were Nazi's all along...?

Anyway, this is history and we were originally talking about the current day. Looking at the current day state of Russian politics, it's easy to see why many people are going with the plan of "don't touch the poop".

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
The extremely benevolent Holodomor.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Y'all should read this: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/thefeed/feature/first-her-kind-afghan-refugee-australian-soldier

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Yeah, from what I've seen any beneficial side effects to GDP seem to be more coincidental than causal.

Surely there's an argument in favour though with some sort of empirical substantiation?

Doubt it. If anything the opposite is the case because there are now a few studies including a very influential one from the IMF showing that inequality slows economic growth. The main reason the neoliberal poo poo gets pushed is because it's easier to make money by lobbying governments for less tax and regulation than it is to innovate and invest.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Digiwizzard posted:

The extremely benevolent Holodomor.

The Ukrainians were getting fat, this was just to stop them all getting diabetes

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Incidentally, are you that insufferable hipster beer/burger/beard guy and if so, why am I bothering to talk to you as though you were a serious intellect amd not just instantly dismissing your worthless opinions?

You just described like one third of auspol

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Why on earth is at tiny person with grades like that joining the army as a soldier and not an officer?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

starkebn posted:

Why on earth is at tiny person with grades like that joining the army as a soldier and not an officer?

You need a degree to be an officer.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

what the gently caress is wrong with your brain

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

BBJoey posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with your brain

He's been oppressed too much and it broke the "anarchy is actually good" part

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Xerxes17 posted:

You need a degree to be an officer.

Nope. You either go to the academy and get a degree and become an officer over 3-4 years or you go to Duntroon and become an officer in 6 months

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
AusPol has gone soft

Full Stalinism Now

Said by someone who is clearly a clear thinker

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

congratulations to bill leak, the newscorp cartoonist, who won the coveted cartoonist of the year award, presented by newscorp :yum:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
wasn't newscorp really pissed at the print media awards about not getting enough awards? the australian specifically? I guess this is one way to fix that.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

BBJoey posted:

congratulations to bill leak, the newscorp cartoonist, who won the coveted cartoonist of the year award, presented by newscorp :yum:

"I'd like to thank the traditional owners of this land, white people."
*applause*

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Maybe with that impressive ATAR, she was able to see sense and not become a CO.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Redcordial posted:

Maybe with that impressive ATAR, she was able to see sense and not become a CO.

Seems like she is keeping her options open and or getting a feel for what she wants to do.

"The medical component is appealing to Kbora.

Her mother, Shereengul, was a nurse in Afghanistan before they came to Australia,

and Kbora says she’s looking into a future with the medical corps while moving up the ranks.

That could involve further officer training at the Australian Defence Force Academy (ADFA)."

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BBJoey posted:

suck on that, regressive leftist media

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lid posted:

AusPol has gone soft

Full Stalinism Now

Said by someone who is clearly a clear thinker

But they had those cool uniforms! *stamps feet, calls out for more chocolate milk*

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
to be fair to stalinism, all the key quality of life indicators have dropped massively in russia since the fall of the ussr.

stalin probably shouldnt have done all that killing though, that wasnt very nice of him.

Both stalin and putin are poo poo but honestly i feel that stalin at least killed a metric fucktonne of nazis and that has to count for something and im pretty sure putin would do the same genocidal nonsense if he was at the helm of the ussr.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
giving stalin all the credit for the successes of the USSR while absolving him of all blame for the failures is pretty classic Big Man historicity and is dumb as dogshit.

also fuckin lol at thinking putin is any better than the shittiest fascist on the planet.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birdstrike posted:

You just described like one third of auspol

If he included three more B's he would have captured basically the entire population.

Beer/Burger/Beard/Birb/Bay/Bears

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

battlestar galactica

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Bad sportsteams

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bareback

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

thatbastardken posted:

giving stalin all the credit for the successes of the USSR while absolving him of all blame for the failures is pretty classic Big Man historicity and is dumb as dogshit.

also fuckin lol at thinking putin is any better than the shittiest fascist on the planet.
I said stalinism not stalin but i know what you mean, even some of his success came from royally screwing people over but the ussr like any state it needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis (there were good things about the ussr, there are good things about america there were bad things about the ussr and there are bad things about america).

Putin is the shittest of shitcunts and im pretty sure it would be a bad thing if he got more power. I really dont get how some nominal leftists excuse him, like i get the enemy of my enemy but if those same lefties were espousing the rest of their doctrine in russia they would get disappeared.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Wow are you telling me these dictators are gigantic pieces of poo poo????

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Remember when Gerry Harvey advocated for a dictator for Australia to sort it's poo poo out?

What a loving nob.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

I really dont get how some nominal leftists excuse him

consider the following: death to amerikkka

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Beet, Bongs and Bicycle Helmets

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Is NSW still talking about expanding privatised prisons? Wonder if the recent US announcement will affect public perception of the idea.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Remember when Gerry Harvey advocated for a dictator for Australia to sort it's poo poo out?

What a loving nob.

Yeah but in Gerry Harvey's case he thinks the only person good enough to be that dictator is Gerry Harvey.

Commission based wages for all!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

Is NSW still talking about expanding privatised prisons? Wonder if the recent US announcement will affect public perception of the idea.

If the kids for cash scandal didn't do it I can't see what would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I discovered not all manufacturing is dead in this country; I spent a few days helping out in a factory that makes razor wire and security fencing for prisons and they've got more orders than they know what to do with.

• Locked thread