Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So some kid in junior high or some poo poo showed up out of the blue to one of our drop-ins.

Did better than the two other adult goalies that showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Was he taller than you?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I got some of those kevlar socks. Dunno if they will actually protect my calves against skate cuts, but it's nice to have hockey-only socks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I read somewhere that kevlar breaks down when you wash it, and not washing hockey gear is loving gross.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can I cut through those socks and just wear them as ankle warmers?

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
When 3 people ruin it for the whole team...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Does anyone have a suggestion for glasses to use while playing? I tried contact lenses, but my depth perception goes straight to hell without glasses (astigmatism). I'd really prefer to play with a visor instead of cage too.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Six penalties is your leagues max? That seems crazy excessive. I think ours is three or four and if you get a game misconduct you also get a one game suspension.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Coach?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anders posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for glasses to use while playing? I tried contact lenses, but my depth perception goes straight to hell without glasses (astigmatism). I'd really prefer to play with a visor instead of cage too.

Keep moving and glasses won't fog. Think of it as a warning that you're not pushing hard enough.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

Six penalties is your leagues max? That seems crazy excessive. I think ours is three or four and if you get a game misconduct you also get a one game suspension.

4 and 5 happen at the same time, that "event" pushed it over the edge at whatever point.

Really seems like 1 dude ruining it. Dude with an unsportsmanlike at the end seems like he sucks but that happens.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

xzzy posted:

I read somewhere that kevlar breaks down when you wash it, and not washing hockey gear is loving gross.

This is true, I've had some Bauer Kevlar socks and I've washed them after every game. They've degraded to the point where I get little strands that feel like pin pricks. Thankfully when the game starts you don't notice, but that poo poo is annoying when you are sitting around in the locker room.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Try tuff n lites next time, about the same price but aren't Kevlar.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Jovial Cow posted:

This is true, I've had some Bauer Kevlar socks and I've washed them after every game. They've degraded to the point where I get little strands that feel like pin pricks. Thankfully when the game starts you don't notice, but that poo poo is annoying when you are sitting around in the locker room.

My Bauer kevlar socks are loving awful but I have a couple pairs of these http://www.swiftwick.com/cut-resistant-hockey-sock-11820-prd1.htm and they are super comfortable.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anders posted:

If you can afford it, get LASIK. It's the best $5k I've ever spent in my life. The 8 weeks I had to wear glasses prior to the surgery were 8 of the worst weeks I've ever had playing hockey. I don't know how people play with glasses. It felt like every time I moved, the glasses got jostled and moved around on me and it was annoying as hell.

Also, being able to read the clock in the middle of the night is amazing.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

sellouts posted:

Don't wear socks y'all. They're feet condoms and no one likes wearing condoms

I tried wearing socks once and it was the worst. No one should be wearing socks in their skates.

vvv it makes my skates feel full of soggy cotton, which is somewhat accurate. even the really thin ones get in the way and it's not like socks are keeping anyone's skates from smelling like feet.

delpheye fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 17, 2016

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I wear socks but I don't notice the difference if I don't :shrug:

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If you can afford it, get LASIK. It's the best $5k I've ever spent in my life. The 8 weeks I had to wear glasses prior to the surgery were 8 of the worst weeks I've ever had playing hockey. I don't know how people play with glasses. It felt like every time I moved, the glasses got jostled and moved around on me and it was annoying as hell.

Also, being able to read the clock in the middle of the night is amazing.

Doesn't that poo poo destroy your eyes later in life? Or have they fixed those issues?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Maddot_66 posted:

Doesn't that poo poo destroy your eyes later in life? Or have they fixed those issues?

My dad got it done almost 10 years ago and has never once complained about it, I imagine a decade of improvement hasn't hurt the process either.

I guess wearing socks + liking custom insoles = minority here? I dont feel soggy unless I'm doing two 3v3 sessions in a row but it turns out my VH skates dont have holes on the bottom to drain the grossness.

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

I started wearing glasses a couple years ago and when I started playing again I had to cut pieces of my helmet to fit my glasses. My current helmet fits fine with glasses, but if I get hit in the head(which happens at least once a game it seems) they go crooked and I have to take my helmet off to readjust them. It's not too bad, but I still want to get lasik.

Sockchat: I wear any socks I have available, and if I forget some I just play with no socks. I can't tell any difference really.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I bought hockey socks which pad areas of my feet where there is substantial contact with the boot but are super thin and light elsewhere.

They are incredibly comfortable and I don't skate without them.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Same - for sock chat today I'm wearing a fairly thin'ish sock with a slight extra bit of more-sock built into it where the laces be cause I get lace bite now and then.

It helped me get babby's first hat trick last night.

Signed,
A satisfied customer. :toot::siren::siren::siren::homebrew:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Pooping in the dressing room toilet: yes/no?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's better than pooping in the urinal in there or on the locker room floor.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Anders posted:

I'm 33, have been wearing glasses fulltime since about 10 or 12 years old and been playing hockey since I was 5. So I've basically played my entire career with glasses. I just wear my same glasses I wear every day, though in the past I've had spare sets and used a spare set for hockey just in case. Yes I've had glasses break inside my helmet and I wear a cage, but they were really old frames. It is true that as long as you keep moving they won't fog and if they fog on the bench they'll usually clear within a second or two on the ice. If you're new to it then I can understand it is probably hard to get used to it but I don't find it that big of a deal. I only really have to readjust them after a really big collision but playing no-check beer league and pickup it doesn't happen very often. If your glasses are falling off every time your head gets bumped your helmet is probably too big or your glasses are too big for your face.

Are you going pro/semi pro and play in a league or have aspirations to play in a league where you would be required to wear a visor over a full cage? If not, just wear a cage, your teeth and nose will thank you later. If you just can't see through the bars man than I can tell you I have seen guys wear glasses with a half shield but its usually like once in a blue moon and its because they are out of contacts or forgot them or something, not a regular every skate thing.

RE: pooping in the locker room bathroom - not if there is an easily accessible bathroom that is not attached to the locker room.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Poop in one locker room, then change in the other. It'll really set the pace for the game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I poo poo in the locker room and my team says don't do it but I have to poo and I'm not holding it for a whole game

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Have we forgotten already?

...poop in your competitors glove. duh.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

There was no coach. That was just a bench minor, not sure why it says that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poop at home before the game you cretins.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Speaking of, Bauer/PSG about to maybe get a big ol' deuce dropped on it:

Owner of Bauer hockey accused of fraud and trying to ‘deceive the market’
http://www.tsn.ca/owner-of-bauer-hockey-accused-of-fraud-and-trying-to-deceive-the-market-1.549259

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Nike sold Bauer for $200M. Pretty much every NHL player uses their skates or uses Tuuk runners, to say nothing of their sticks.

The Leafs or Habs or (big team) should have bought Bauer as an in house advantage.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Chemmy posted:

The Leafs or Habs or (big team) should have bought Bauer as an in house advantage.

in house glam advantage!!

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

prom candy posted:

Pooping in the dressing room toilet: yes/no?

Poop in one of the other bathrooms. Like whatever exists for spectators.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Today I am getting my skate blades replaces because my old ones have be sharpened so much I ground out during turns. Also one of them literally bowed a bit (as in was no longer straight but bent).

I haven't skated in 3 months because of this. How hosed and I when hockey starts in October?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Bauer has just been comically inept of late

They rushed a release on the new 1x when it's almost exactly the same stick as last year's with a new paint job, but...

30 dollars steeper.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I hope this doesn't result in them shutting down their Experience stores, that's the only place in town I trust anyone I hand my skates to to not gently caress up the sharpening entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWcTvql6aIA

Here's an even smaller 3v3 rink vid where I'm playing 4v4 with a bunch of college kids and an ECHL guys out there too.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

doctor 7 posted:

Today I am getting my skate blades replaces because my old ones have be sharpened so much I ground out during turns. Also one of them literally bowed a bit (as in was no longer straight but bent).

I haven't skated in 3 months because of this. How hosed and I when hockey starts in October?

Not at all? hit pickup/stick&puck before your first game to shake off the rust and unless you're suffering from amnesia, you can still play hockey just as well as you could before.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

titanium posted:

I hope this doesn't result in them shutting down their Experience stores, that's the only place in town I trust anyone I hand my skates to to not gently caress up the sharpening entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWcTvql6aIA

Here's an even smaller 3v3 rink vid where I'm playing 4v4 with a bunch of college kids and an ECHL guys out there too.

What's with the pushups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Blech, we lost 3-0 last night and I was on and playing defense for all 3. I wasn't expecting to beat this team but it sucks to feel partially/completely responsible for all 3.