Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, there is a podcast with Renee Gracie on the ABC.

I had no idea who Renee was either, but she is the only female V8 Supercar driver on the grid. She's nice, classic Aussie girl, down to earth and good to listen to. Certainly get the feeling Renee's Daddy paid for Renee to get into the sport, she's also got a little bit of the spoilt daughter attitude too.

But it's a good podcast, hear about her running Bathurst last year alongside Simona de Silvestro.. about the 'cool suits' they have to wear and laugh about how important 'balance' is to a Supercar driver (getting the weight over the front wheels on turn-in or that loving boat will understeer out to New Zealand!).

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/conversations/renee-gracie/7730062

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Mine is nowhere near as good as yours and I find the gsync improvement dramatic. Not having to choose between input lag or tearing is a glorious thing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I don't have a gsync monitor but I will tell you the diffrence between 60Hz and 144Hz was massive for me. I'll never go back to a 60Hz montor, even moving the mouse cursor looks better.

Ultrawide vs triples talk. I'll ditch my triple setup once I settle on a headset and pair it with a 34 inch ultrawide. Currently the single ultrawide doesn't provide enough fov for oval racing in iRacing.

All I play are sims and WoW. I'm the worst.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

3 monitors rule. I love them I don't know if an ultra wide would do the same. My monitors are on an angle which helps with the visuals and perception that I'm actually looking out the side of the car.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ShineDog posted:

Mine is nowhere near as good as yours and I find the gsync improvement dramatic. Not having to choose between input lag or tearing is a glorious thing.

Yea. It's a solid piece of tech. I spend far less time playing with settings to find a place to hold a solid frame rate.

I got it just after upgrading to a GTX 1080 too.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, I've been getting back into regularly playing race sims again over the LAN with a couple of guys I know (Race07 - I know, we're only nine years behind the times now! We were playing V8 Supercars Australia 3/Race Driver 3 previously, when we last played race sims), however I just want to know if there is any documentation on what changing all the car settings (you know, increasing as opposed to decreasing camber, rear tire toe-in, etc etc etc) do. I already checked the OP and there didn't appear to be anything there, so apologies if this gets asked regularly.
I used to know all this stuff, but it's been a while so I need a bit of a refresher. So if any info could be provided, that would be greatly appreciated!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's a solid setup guide here, though it's formatted horribly the info is solid. Really though when you're building setups the key things are tire pressure, brake bias and downforce. Just remember though it's all about making the car drive how you want unless you're oval racing.

Also Race 07 still rules, I was playing STCC 2 just last week.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ShineDog posted:

Not having to choose between input lag or tearing is a glorious thing.

Adaptive sync was added in the newest nvidia drivers for multiple monitors. I haven't tried it out yet but hopefully it helps with some of this for triples a bit.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

So I've finally gotten into iracing and I'm addicted now haha.

I'm still racing in the rookie series, mostly the MX-5 cup on the road courses. My question is how much difference is tire degradation actually making over the course of one of these 10-20 lap races.

I feel like I lose grip on turn-in after a handful of laps but maybe that's just me losing my focus?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Me personally, I don't really notice it much. Sometimes my fastest laps come late in races. :shrug:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Race07 is still good, agreed. I used to play it on my HP Mini using the mouse control when I used to work at a paint store years and years ago. Sunday's were slow so I'd do a mini championship - maybe two if no one came in (which was common).

Years later I'm teaching drivers education and I'll bring my wheel and pedal setup to the last day of class and see if the teens can get around Monza short. Used to keep a tally of times to put classes against classes.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Larrymer posted:

Adaptive sync was added in the newest nvidia drivers for multiple monitors. I haven't tried it out yet but hopefully it helps with some of this for triples a bit.

Adaptive sync is fine but it just dials between tearing and a synced 60. It's much better than syncing down to 30 but you've still got tearing and that smidge of input lag even at 60, though it's not quite a big deal for racers.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ShineDog posted:

Adaptive sync is fine but it just dials between tearing and a synced 60. It's much better than syncing down to 30 but you've still got tearing and that smidge of input lag even at 60, though it's not quite a big deal for racers.

Right, it's not perfect but felt it was worth mentioning to folks with triples.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Lou Takki posted:

So I've finally gotten into iracing and I'm addicted now haha.

I'm still racing in the rookie series, mostly the MX-5 cup on the road courses. My question is how much difference is tire degradation actually making over the course of one of these 10-20 lap races.

I feel like I lose grip on turn-in after a handful of laps but maybe that's just me losing my focus?

In a relatively short road race and a relatively tame car like the MX-5 you won't see significant tyre wear - at the end of a full fuel stint in a GT3 race or 100 laps of a NASCAR oval there is significant loss of performance though (especially on the oval, since the bulk of the work through constant fast left turns is being done by the front-right). You can see how much your tyres have worn as well as pressures and temperatures at the end of the race by going into the garage tab after the finish, you probably have 95% or so tread remaining at the end of Mazda Cup so the tyres are still nearly new.

Also join us in Gooncar.

Larrymer posted:

Me personally, I don't really notice it much. Sometimes my fastest laps come late in races. :shrug:
At the end of the race you're dragging much less weight in fuel around with you :science:

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 17, 2016

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yes everyone do iRacing. Now featuring a Friday timeslot with at least one free car/track combo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Helicon One posted:

At the end of the race you're dragging much less weight in fuel around with you :science:

Not in a skip barber. :v: I've only ever seen myself get a decent amount slower when we've done the endurance races. After an hour or so I've definitely lost some time and grip.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's probably just you then. The Skip uses road tires so the tires aren't going to noticeably wear over the course of a race.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Tyres on the skip shouldn't wear at all; nor will losing fuel help you a great deal since there isn't much in the tank anyway. The big thing that probably governs max pace is traffic and whether you get a draft more than anything.

Tyre wear in short races is a much bigger issue on ovals in Stock Cars just because of the car and type of track: you can sometimes lose a second a lap in the first ten-fifteen laps depending on the track and setup. Last Friday at Charlotte in the goon car race in the free trucks my call to take tyres in the first yellow (only after ten laps or so, folk were laughing at me at the time) helped a load: sure I was screwed up less by the dumb gently caress restart but they just felt like they made me so much faster than everyone else... On road tracks it's generally less of a factor because the cars eat their tyres a lot less; maybe in modern F1 cars but I dunno whether any games quite have the ability to model how bad Pirelli are...

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You gain about 0.8-1s total in the skip over a 12-16 lap race due to fuel weight loss. It's not huge but it's not negligible either. Tire wear for 12 laps is indeed negligible though, unless you're throwing it around a lot.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

It's probably just you then. The Skip uses road tires so the tires aren't going to noticeably wear over the course of a race.

Right, I meant I only noticed tire wear during the endurance races (with GT3s and such).

Diet Crack posted:

You gain about 0.8-1s total in the skip over a 12-16 lap race due to fuel weight loss. It's not huge but it's not negligible either. Tire wear for 12 laps is indeed negligible though, unless you're throwing it around a lot.

When the car loses a gallon or two? I don't think 10-20 lbs is going to account for that kind of gain unless the physics are really hosed.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah when you start on borderline empty to begin with, 3.1 gal.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

So, the way I'm reading the feedback so far is that in the MX-5 car I probably wouldn't notice any real tire wear during a 15-20 minute race right?

Should I be concerning myself with tire temperatures at all in this car? I usually do a burnout at the start, am I lighting up my rear tires when I shouldn't be?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you heat them up, they might get a little slippery for a bit but they'll be fine once they go back to normal.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

If you heat them up, they might get a little slippery for a bit but they'll be fine once they go back to normal.

Okay, I'm going to stop overthinking the tires in the MX-5 then. I'm fairly sure all the effects I'm "noticing" are probably just in my head.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

njsykora posted:

There's a solid setup guide here, though it's formatted horribly the info is solid. Really though when you're building setups the key things are tire pressure, brake bias and downforce. Just remember though it's all about making the car drive how you want unless you're oval racing.

Also Race 07 still rules, I was playing STCC 2 just last week.

Thanks! And yeah, I've been (mostly) able to remember the more important things you mentioned, but the other guys I play with tune their virtual cars quite a bit, and I notice that it's actually giving them a bit more of an edge - I've been managing to keep ahead of them in our Hockenheim GP events, but there's been a noticeable decrease in gap between our cars ever since they started tuning all aspects of theirs (since when we were using stock I was fairly comfortably ahead), while I've only been touching a few things. I'll go through this though on Friday before our races, and see if I can make some modifications to increase the size of that gap between first and second places again! :D

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I just realized tomorrow is the day to be disappointed in Codemasters again.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GhostDog posted:

I just realized tomorrow is the day to be disappointed in Codemasters again.

oh oh whats' geting released / updated?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
F1 2016

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

For people who've had it early apparently the safety car trucks around at race pace atm. Unless its a pirate thing.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
If that is true I might get it because that sounds hilarious

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm pretty stoked to play a fun F1 game over the weekend. And then Assetto Corsa comes out on consoles at the end of the month. I hope Kunos spent time sorting out a good gamepad control method.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Read the OP, thoughts on the Thrustmaster 150 wheel/pedal setup for someone who just wants to dick around for maybe one night a week and I don't give a poo poo if it is super-realistic and I'm not builting a cockpit?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Goetta posted:

If that is true I might get it because that sounds hilarious

It got better one of the codemaster team posted this

"We felt it better to have the SC go a bit quicker than in reality just so it doesn't feel too painful while you're behind it so it's maybe not completely unexpected that that AI don't all form up if you're well in to a race and everyone is spread out."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Then why even have the safety car?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
So that you can say your game has a safety car

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

LLJKSiLk posted:

Read the OP, thoughts on the Thrustmaster 150 wheel/pedal setup for someone who just wants to dick around for maybe one night a week and I don't give a poo poo if it is super-realistic and I'm not builting a cockpit?

If you can swing the 300rs it's a good wheel with decent pedals.. the 150 pedals look like toys imo.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

tater_salad posted:

If you can swing the 300rs it's a good wheel with decent pedals.. the 150 pedals look like toys imo.

These are the 3 I'm considering. The Logitech one actually was $40 cheaper yesterday but stock ran out.

Worth the extra $180 for the rs?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

WOAH WTF.. the T300RS was around 299 when I bought it. 379+ now, :drat: Guess I got lucky
I guess get the 150 which is a decent wheel and then drop another $150 for the T3PA pro pedals later on if you like racing.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 18, 2016

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

tater_salad posted:

WOAH WTF.. the T300RS was around 299 when I bought it. 379+ now, :drat: Guess I got lucky
I guess get the 150 which is a decent wheel and then drop another $150 for the T3PA pro pedals later on if you like racing.

I just ordered the T300RS from the warehouse for $315 since that's probably the best deal I'll find on it.

Thanks for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the good news is if you hate sim racing it you can sell it for not much of a loss. I sold my driving force GT for a profit (I bought used) when I sold it to finance my T300.