Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. She was Irene. She was very clearly Maple with the serial numbers filed off but she wasn't Maple.

Shows what I know I haven't played ALBW since it was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
The witch who made potions near the Zora's canyon was heavily implied to be an aged Maple, but it's never stated outright. Her Lorule counterpart is referred to as 'Mapes' at one point, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Obviously an obscure Dune reference

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Maple is cool and chill also she keeps stealing link's dough wtf, jerk move Maple

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Does anyone know of a guide that tells you what each of the My Fairy rental skills do, more specifically than the descriptions in the game? Like, especially information about whether it's something you have to actively use vs. is always passively on, and also how long the effect lasts / how many times you can use it / how strong the effect is.

Like, for instance, is the "XP Master" skill something that applies automatically the entire mission, or is it one of the skills that you manually activate and it lasts for either 1 minute or until you switch characters? Since the former would seem pretty reasonable, and the latter mostly useless unless the XP boost was really, really huge during the small period of time it was active. I haven't been able to find anywhere with information like that, which is frustrating since you have to sink a bunch of food into unlocking a specific skill and you can't even tell if it will be useful at all.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Magic Fountain is easily the most useful skill. I used to keep base technician around just to repair the allied base but now i just fairy nuke everything.

This will easily get me back to where I was on the Wii U version.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
Is there like a guide that can tell you how to get the Magic Fountain skill? I can't be bothered trying to figure it out all myself.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've barely touched the fairy skill stuff. All I know is I have a fairy that gives me Wall of Water to help get A ranks in damage and that's all I use.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Magypsy posted:

Is there like a guide that can tell you how to get the Magic Fountain skill? I can't be bothered trying to figure it out all myself.

Look in the skills for a skill with the description "Magic Meter doesn't deplete" and grind those personality traits (will most likely take a few refreshes and grinding for gratitude crystals so you don't feed it anything that will deplete its stats)

It only lasts for a few minutes at most but its great for cheesing quizzes and defeat all enemy stages.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Magic fountain is amazing, even with the whole "1 activation, only lasts a minute" thing. What you wanna do is get a new fairy or refresh a fairy. Make sure their stats correspond with the stats for the skill at the bottom of the skills list under School (Magic Fountain; starting from the top and moving counter-clockwise it should be Relaxed, Valiant, Shrewd, Resolute, Eager). If they don't have that skill lineup, either find one that does, or raise them up to 99, refresh them, and change a stat (only one per refresh). Don't give them any food (or any more food once you refresh them). Get other fairies up to level 50 and then go to the map and find another fairy. Replace the level 50 fairy with that fairy. You will receive a Gratitude Crystal. Those crystals give +10 to every stat, unless they are the same primary type as the fairy you're raising, in which case all stats are +12. Do not feed your fairy anything other than Gratitude Crystals, and you'll be fine getting the skills before maxing out at 99.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Magic fountain sounds cool but also sounds like a massive pain to get. I've mostly been going with Magic Bonds - you can use it 3 times per mission, and it fills a percentage of your magic bar equal to the fairy's trust level. So if you grind enough trust, then it's at least 3 free fairy nukes per level. Seems like the best option out of the ones that are easy to get, though I haven't really tried others since getting them is a pain (hence my original question).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Whelp! I finally did the insane and got every Heart Container, Weapon, Costume/Recolor, Fairy Costume, and Gold Skulltula on each map in Hyrule Warriors Legends Adventure Mode (including the DLC Maps) + A ranked every square on every Map. (Again, including the DLC Maps.)

Now to wait for the next two DLC Maps so I can get all the rewards on those maps as well. :negative:

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Folt The Bolt posted:

Whelp! I finally did the insane and got every Heart Container, Weapon, Costume/Recolor, Fairy Costume, and Gold Skulltula on each map in Hyrule Warriors Legends Adventure Mode (including the DLC Maps) + A ranked every square on every Map. (Again, including the DLC Maps.)

Now to wait for the next two DLC Maps so I can get all the rewards on those maps as well. :negative:

Do you do anything that isn't playing this game because that is a whole lot of poo poo to do.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Bakalakadaka posted:

Do you do anything that isn't playing this game because that is a whole lot of poo poo to do.

I do, since I live alone. I don't get money by lazing around after all.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Folt The Bolt posted:

I know! It feels like it's taking forever. Give me my fix, Koei Tecmo! And it's not thaaaaat insane. Now completing all the highest "difficulty" in Legends Mode (with no real reward), that would be insane.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

mastajake posted:

I know! It feels like it's taking forever. Give me my fix, Koei Tecmo! And it's not thaaaaat insane. Now completing all the highest "difficulty" in Legends Mode (with no real reward), that would be insane.

I've done that on the Wii U one, haven't even A-ranked all of Termina yet. It really isn't that hard.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

mastajake posted:

Oh, I'll be doing that too.

In other news, Fi is no longer the worst character to pick in the game, whether you pick her in Wii U or in Legends. Another character now holds that title, and she is actually significantly worse than Fi as well.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Oyster posted:

I've done that on the Wii U one, haven't even A-ranked all of Termina yet. It really isn't that hard.

Is not hard, but it sure is tedious, given the health of enemies.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

Oh, I'll be doing that too.

In other news, Fi is no longer the worst character to pick in the game, whether you pick her in Wii U or in Legends. Another character now holds that title, and she is actually significantly worse than Fi as well.
Marin?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I doubt it's Marin, Marin's pretty great.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Tetra seems to be the main target of 'worst character' nowadays.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tetra is pretty awful. None of her moves seem good or effective for anything.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i was gonna say impa

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Agitha will always be at the bottom of my list with Ruto.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I don't hate using anybody! Everyone is fun. Tetra is cool. Agitha is my friend. Ruto is fun to play. Fi ... is fine.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I used to dread playing as the King but now I can just spam fairy bombs.

This is also true of characters who have low amounts of AoE attacks.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The King is great though?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Folt The Bolt posted:

I thought I was doing well to have done this for the original maps :smith: I just finished them yesterday.

I have no idea how to play the bird flappy thing, but her c5 is good

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Folt The Bolt posted:

What does it say about me that I finished doing this about a week after Marin came out?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Tetra seems to be the main target of 'worst character' nowadays.

We have a winner.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Folt The Bolt posted:

We have a winner.

How are you sorting all this out, anyway? Like, earlier you mentioned that lightning was a 'better' element than fire but what makes one better than the other? Like are more monsters weak to lightning or does it have a better 'secondary' effect or what?
Are you counting in stuff like how easy or hard it is to use someone? Does the existence of Fairy Magic change anything?

Sorry I just like knowing how all this works.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

YggiDee posted:

How are you sorting all this out, anyway? Like, earlier you mentioned that lightning was a 'better' element than fire but what makes one better than the other? Like are more monsters weak to lightning or does it have a better 'secondary' effect or what?
Are you counting in stuff like how easy or hard it is to use someone? Does the existence of Fairy Magic change anything?

Sorry I just like knowing how all this works.

A combination of what enemies the element deals more damage to + what it's elemental effect is. Like, Dark deals more damage to Link, Zelda, Sheik, Fi, or more characters in general than any other element (if you're playing Legends) and has what's probably the best elemental effect (a dark effect boosted WPS from f. ex. Ganondorf deals an incredible amount of damage) which is the primary reason for having it above all the other elements. With the dark effect on a weapon, Gohma's WPG typically poses little to no trouble to take down in one go as well due to it's WPG being susceptible against attacks with the dark effect (and Gohma recovers incredibly fast, especially in Legends).

Lightning deals more damage to at least half of the monsters that matter: Dinolfos and Aeralfos of the -fos family (tricky little buggers who dodge a lot and has super armor frames on most attacks + quickly recovers out of your attacks), Shield Moblin of the Moblin duo (Moblins have a lot of super armor frames and different knockback mechanics than the rest meaning comboing them is a pain), Darknut of the undead knight duo (who otherwise loves to immediately guard after the first hit or if you're anywhere close to them, meaning they're somewhat hard to start a combo on, thank God for the attack -> dodge to the side WPG exposure they have), and Big Blin of the Blin duo (who is essentially Moblin lite, having everything other than the knockback mechanics), + two or three characters depending on the game (Lana, Ruto, and Marin) which is one more than the other enemy officer elements (fire and water) has, + the elemental effect associated with Lightning is much better to have than anything that isn't the Dark effect. The Lightning effect also lets you deal with Argorok's WPG better than the rest, since Argorok's WPG is susceptible against attacks with the Lightning effect (though this is more important in Wii U than Legends).

Light has fewer characters weak to it than the other character element (Dark) if you're playing Legends, but does get some which are weak to it which are probably even more annoying and/or dangerous to encounter than Dark does: Wizzro, Midna, Zant, and Skull Kid (in Legends) f. ex. are some of the most annoying/dangerous characters to fight against. However, the elemental effect is significantly worse than the effects of Dark and Lightning. It's elemental effect is also the worst boss-killing elemental effect in the game, or the best, depending on which game you're playing: In Hyrule Warriors, The Imprisoned recovers immediately at half gauge while Ganon recovers incredibly fast, faster than any other boss, which means that it's typically impossible to take down the latter in one go for the majority of the characters. In Hyrule Warriors Legends, they received a nerf + Phantom Ganon was introduced which means anyone that has (or is supposed to have) the Light effect (which primarily consists of Light users) have a distinct advantage against these three bosses when it comes to taking down their WPGs.

Fire is the clear loser damage-wise: It can only take down the other half of the Moblin duo (Moblin) and the undead knight duo (Stalmaster) + one or two characters depending on the game (Agitha and Tingle) when it comes to enemies you'd want to do supereffective damage against. However, admittedly, Moblins may possibly be even worse than the -fos family and it's elemental effect is just so much better than the water effect that it becomes simply better than Water by that alone. Even better, attacks with the fire effect can take down Manhandla's WPG faster than any other attack which means Fire users (primarily) have a distinct advantage against one of the more annoying bosses in the game. Legends also adds Helmaroc King to the list of bosses weak against the Fire effect. The only slight problem with this is that both bosses' WPGs are easily taken down by a decent amount of the characters.

Water is better than Fire is on the damage side: being effective against the other half of the -fos family (Lizalfos and Fiery Aeralfos) + the other half of the Blin duo (Stone Blin). It's also effective against Volga (if you have trouble with him) and Darunia (who does have some annoying attacks). However, that's where the advantages end. Water has what's indisputably the worst elemental effect in the game, due to being a DoT that flinches enemies instead of being a usual DoT. Adding to that, only King Dodongo's WPG is suscpetible to the Water effect, and King Dodongo is the one boss whose WPG the majority of the characters can take down in one go.

That said, we only really look at the elemental effects when it comes to determining a character's performance (because you'd probably want to avoid using attacks with the Water effect too often for example + it might make a difference in terms of how many bosses you can take down and the like). Other things we check on include how good they perform against enemy officers, enemy characters, multiple officers/characters, crowds, and giant bosses. Wevalue some of these more than others due to how powerful some of these are over others combined with the frequency of their appearances. From those categories, we're able to glean things like how safe they are in general, how powerful they are, how good of a combo game they possess, and how fast they're able to get things done. Thus, through knowledge and practical testing, we get the overall performance of a character.

For Tetra, she has some things she does better than the spirit of the Master Sword: crowds and giant bosses, and she outmatches Fi better in these than Fi ever outmatches her in the other categories (Tetra is decent at these, Fi merely functions). However, the categories that Fi does better in are also more important due to how powerful and how frequent that officers and enemy characters are compared to the easily killed hordes of mooks and the uncommon giant bosses. On top of that, the other side of the coin, Tetra struggles badly against enemy officers or characters, while Fi in turn can function against them, and Fi's multiple officer capability is also rather functional compared to Tetra being worse in that regard. So Tetra almost cannot deal with some of the most important parts, while Fi is bad all around but can still be expected to adequately deal with the challenges and objectives that the game throws at you.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Wow, after the Termina Map that windwaker map was a piece of cake.

Is the Links Awakening map just as easy? I've only done the first couple of squares and with the level 4 weapons things are a breeze.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What does f. ex and WPS mean?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

FirstAidKite posted:

"for example" and "weak point smash", I'm guessing.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Kin posted:

Wow, after the Termina Map that windwaker map was a piece of cake.

Is the Links Awakening map just as easy? I've only done the first couple of squares and with the level 4 weapons things are a breeze.

The DLC Maps aren't gonna be too overly difficult, I think, since DLC characters get their Heart Containers and weapons from their respective maps (Master Wind Waker in particular feels much like the Wii U Adventure and Master Quest Maps in terms of difficulty spread throughout the different zones). But there's a clear increase in difficulty between the hardest Termina missions and the hardest Koholint Island missions, due to the level increase we got with the newest patch (but the increase is nowhere as big as the difference between the hardest Adventure/Master Quest and Twilight missions from the Wii U version).

FirstAidKite posted:

Alacron posted:

"for example" and "weak point smash", I'm guessing.

Basically that.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Folt The Bolt posted:

The DLC Maps aren't gonna be too overly difficult, I think, since DLC characters get their Heart Containers and weapons from their respective maps (Master Wind Waker in particular feels much like the Wii U Adventure and Master Quest Maps in terms of difficulty spread throughout the different zones). But there's a clear increase in difficulty between the hardest Termina missions and the hardest Koholint Island missions, due to the level increase we got with the newest patch (but the increase is nowhere as big as the difference between the hardest Adventure/Master Quest and Twilight missions from the Wii U version).

Hmm, yeah some of the 4+ weapon maps are still a bit tricky and my level 60 characters are in dire need of some levelling. Where's the best place to do that now on Legends? I assume it's somewhere on Koholint if you use the instrument to double rupees, in combination with the apothecary and rupees+ and maybe Young Link spamming his magic meter mode.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Holy poo poo the Master Quest map has like eight of the ugh "Guard the Allied Keeps With Your Life" missions. That's probably eight more than I wanted.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Holy poo poo the Master Quest map has like eight of the ugh "Guard the Allied Keeps With Your Life" missions. That's probably eight more than I wanted.

It's the one where that mission type got introduced after all, and it was only the second Adventure Mode map made for Hyrule Warriors.

(The rest luckily doesn't use that mission type too much.)

EDIT:

Kin posted:

Hmm, yeah some of the 4+ weapon maps are still a bit tricky and my level 60 characters are in dire need of some levelling. Where's the best place to do that now on Legends? I assume it's somewhere on Koholint if you use the instrument to double rupees, in combination with the apothecary and rupees+ and maybe Young Link spamming his magic meter mode.

I don't think the instrument that doubles Rupees and the Apothecary potion that does the same thing stack. It's probably better to use the Weapon Instrument and do the "Stop the enemy merger!" Lv. 13 mission (or do the Termina Moon missions) using Weapon Rank Up III potion and equipping a Star+ Slot+ weapon and get the Rupees that way by selling the excess weapons.

Alternatively, level the characters the hard way using the potion that gives you more experience (or the instrument if you're on Koholint), go into a relatively short mission with a decent amount of hard enemies, and do it over and over again.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Folt The Bolt posted:

It's the one where that mission type got introduced after all, and it was only the second Adventure Mode map made for Hyrule Warriors.

(The rest luckily doesn't use that mission type too much.)

EDIT:

I don't think the instrument that doubles Rupees and the Apothecary potion that does the same thing stack. It's probably better to use the Weapon Instrument and do the "Stop the enemy merger!" Lv. 13 mission (or do the Termina Moon missions) using Weapon Rank Up III potion and equipping a Star+ Slot+ weapon and get the Rupees that way by selling the excess weapons.

Alternatively, level the characters the hard way using the potion that gives you more experience (or the instrument if you're on Koholint), go into a relatively short mission with a decent amount of hard enemies, and do it over and over again.

Cool, i just gave the first option a few turns and got just 6 weapons ranging from between the 5k-10k range, averaging maybe about 40k per run. Didn't really feel super speedy and it was eating through my gold materials like crazy (none were dropping on the map).

I think the latter option is going to be the way to go really as it uses less materials, plus almost all of my characters have the unsealed 25k skill on one of their weapons now. If i at least aim to grind that out on each of them (and then move it over to one of the 4+ weapons) then by the time it unlocks they should be a powerhouse.

• Locked thread