Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Was that interview with Sharlto Copley as awkward as it seemed to me?

Yeah especially when he tried to make an African-American art joke that Trevor didn't seem to appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The whole thing was very short and abrupt with no real visible editing cuts and no 'go to web for full interview.'

I really thing Trevor was deeply offended by his 'I did as much as I could, I voted to free Mandela' schtick.

I had to think what was going through Trevor's head was "Did you protest? Did you get assaulted by the police? We're you outspoken to your insulated world to try to change opinions? No? You didn't do poo poo, get the gently caress out of here."

I would have to imagine that "I voted to free Mandela" is the South African equivalent to "I have black friends."

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Yeah, it kind of felt like it started going downhill once he said something about white South Africans never getting heroic roles.

I think the shortness was probably due to them doing two interview segments in one show, but he certainly did zip offstage as soon as possible.

Parasol Prophet fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 17, 2016

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The Nightly show's entire run was all just leading up to the moment they made that animation of Godzilla Trump and Hillary fighting over the white house complete with tiny Trump hands.

There was no point to keep the show running at that point, it peaked.

Oh man, I never noticed the tiny hands.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm glad we finally got to see Larry and Franchesca argue about something.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Can we please get a Scott Thompson hosted show? I just want to see more Buddy Cole segments.

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 18, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SyRauk posted:

Can we please get a Scott Thompson hosted show? I just want to see more Buddy Cole segments.

gently caress it, just bring back Kids in the Hall for 11:30.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

SyRauk posted:

This is such a great idea, which is exactly why it's statistically impossible to ever happen.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

raditts posted:

Having it come out that you raped a few dozen women tends to have that effect.

What I was saying about the Cosby thing is after he got "outed" everyone turned on him so fast I think some people forgot that he used to be so beloved, and watching that interview post-mortem gave it a different perspective. I remember seeing him on other shows, Letterman, etc., in recent years, and he would appear like a creepy old senile man, which I guess was his schtick? But totally weird, uncomfortable, and unfunny, and in Colbert's interview you could tell he was in love with Cosby, and I almost thought he was going to get under the desk and suck him off.

If I'd seen the episode live it would've looked goofy, but after the fact it's almost terrifying.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Atomizer posted:

What I was saying about the Cosby thing is after he got "outed" everyone turned on him so fast I think some people forgot that he used to be so beloved, and watching that interview post-mortem gave it a different perspective. I remember seeing him on other shows, Letterman, etc., in recent years, and he would appear like a creepy old senile man, which I guess was his schtick? But totally weird, uncomfortable, and unfunny, and in Colbert's interview you could tell he was in love with Cosby, and I almost thought he was going to get under the desk and suck him off.

If I'd seen the episode live it would've looked goofy, but after the fact it's almost terrifying.

Oh, okay. Yeah, I noticed that too, I could never tell if he was pretending to be going senile as an act, or if he actually was. Honestly, I still can't tell.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

raditts posted:

Oh, okay. Yeah, I noticed that too, I could never tell if he was pretending to be going senile as an act, or if he actually was. Honestly, I still can't tell.
Yeah, I saw him twice on Jimmy Fallon when he first got the Tonight Show and he was getting really creepy, like you weren't sure if he was really losing his mind. This was still way before the rape stuff came up and I was weirded out.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So turns out the formatting problems were Larry's idea.

quote:

When you formulated the nightly show, what was the ultimate goal you had in mind in terms of audience and style of humor?
Well, John Stewart pitched the show to me. He thought it'd be great to have a show that showcased voices you don't normally get a chance to hear from, in a panel-packing format. The show was originally pitched as an all-panel show. I felt it was important for me to establish my opinion in the show first and have what's become that opening monologue, kind of Daily Show–like segment, first. So it felt like some kind of like a hybrid.

http://www.vice.com/read/maybe-i-got-what-i-deserved-larry-wilmore-reflects-on-the-cancellation-of-the-nightly-show

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm still not sure that would have necessarily saved things, just by virtue of the fact that you're probably not going to get enough people for a quality panel 4 days a week.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I don't think Larry was even wrong there. The panels were consistently the weakest part of the show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think a panel show would have worked if they'd tuned it around being a panel show instead of a panel show, a comedy show, a game show, etc.

I guess it's hard to say what it might have been, but I found Larry's daily show style intros to be kind of weak and unfortunately too often rehashes of what the actual daily show just did. I feel like they made sure not to do that very often when Colbert was in that slot.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I dunno, I kinda remember Colbert doing almost the same jokes about the same topics kinda frequently.

They definitely didn't coordinate to make sure that didn't happen

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bass Bottles posted:

I dunno, I kinda remember Colbert doing almost the same jokes about the same topics kinda frequently.

Sometimes they found different stories to cover but when something really major happened they had no choice but to both talk about it. Usually they tried to at least make different jokes.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I remember both TDS and Colbert Report both doing a montage of pundits and politicians, ending with Admiral Ackbar, declaring that some political thing Obama wanted to do with Republcians was a trap for them on the same night.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
TDS and the Report weren't terribly redundant but there was a two week period back in 2010 or 2011 when they felt very very deja vu with topics and jokes.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, I saw him twice on Jimmy Fallon when he first got the Tonight Show and he was getting really creepy, like you weren't sure if he was really losing his mind. This was still way before the rape stuff came up and I was weirded out.

If he was doing an act, it was bad, and if he really was going senile, well, I actually can't decide which is worse.

If you haven't heard, btw, Cosby, who is finally on trial for one of his rapes, has been playing up the "frail old man" angle for sympathy and claims to be completely blind now (although he has had keratoconus for years.)

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah it's going to be hard for any TDS-style show to not overlap especially given the nutty stuff Trump keeps doling out. Colbert and TDS definitely had tons of overlap in their heyday.

Last Week Tonight is probably the most separated from the pack here since they take a Dateline-esque focus on a topic, but even then you have him doing a monologue opening of current events.

I liked Larry's monologues. I personally didn't like it when it turned into monologue + sketches, as most of them were duds for me. I get the panel show concept but I don't think it was something that was going to succeed 4x a week, and you saw that through the format changes down to 1 guest per episode.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Atomizer posted:

If you haven't heard, btw, Cosby, who is finally on trial for one of his rapes, has been playing up the "frail old man" angle for sympathy and claims to be completely blind now (although he has had keratoconus for years.)

Luckily, he can be blind and a giant piece of poo poo.

It's nice having never watched The Cosby Show, I didn't have to deal with any real affection for his work as these allegations came forward.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yay, Jon Stewart on Nightly Show. Maybe the panel won't be awful if he sticks around.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jon's showed up to bury The Nightly Show, how nice.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If there's any show that doesn't need a supercut of its character skits, it's this one. Kinda wish they'd just opted for a panel.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm going to miss Larry. He wasn't the most consistantly funny host, and the panels sucked. but TNS could hit it out of the park occasionally.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
It's dogged focus on race issues was something I appreciated if only because it allowed for stuff that even Trevor only occasionally touched on.

I wish there was a format that would showcase that better.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

raditts posted:

If there's any show that doesn't need a supercut of its character skits, it's this one. Kinda wish they'd just opted for a panel.

Agreed, it just felt like a disjointed montage of segment cuts which, with no context, were neither funny nor rang a bell at all to their respective skits, or even what current event story the bits were covering.

That being said... that embrace between the two when Jon Stewart was making his exit from the first act was a freaking thing of beauty...what a genuine, real dude

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Luckily, he can be blind and a giant piece of poo poo.

It's nice having never watched The Cosby Show, I didn't have to deal with any real affection for his work as these allegations came forward.

The Cosby Show was on (new) when I was growing up, but I was young enough where I didn't quite get it, and even though this was its first run it felt like an "old" show, along the lines of watching something like I Love Lucy or Get Smart or even all of the old Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes cartoons or whatever (they were still airing stuff from the '30s and '40s, at least when I was little) except that all of that other stuff was so much better than Cosby.

Anyways, I was disappointed that Tuesday's episode of TNS was basically a clip show. :smith:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The major thing I miss from a year ago was Colbert's focus on academics and intellectuals. My booklist was always full of authors he brought on and bantered with.

So it was bizarre when Wilmore's panels seemed to deliberately exclude academic voices.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Watching Daily Show on Hulu.

It's presented by Arby's.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Steve Vader posted:

Watching Daily Show on Hulu.

It's presented by Arby's.

Well, now that Jon's gone....

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
R.I.P. The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!
Bummer :( the show was starting to hit its stride, especially with that "The Unblackening" graphic.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

IRQ posted:

The show being about race should have helped it if anything, because, sadly, we're having a whole lot of very prominent issues with race in this dumb country right now. I dislike the term "mining outrage" as applied to John Oliver/Jon Stewart but man if Larry had wanted to go hard on that route he could have. But instead he did all the stuff that has already been pointed out as being bad about the show and sat there giggling.

And yeah I love Norm but that sports show was a disaster. I don't think Norm has it in him to do a regular show like that.
Norm reminds me a lot of Adam Corolla in that regard. You kinda enjoy him but only in small doses, and hopefully as a supporting cast member. Neither of them can command a room and discussion like Colin Quinn or Jon Stewart.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I love Norm MacDonald stand-up. I love how he just bulldozes a joke's premise and things you take for granted. His special "Me Doing Stand-Up" has been on my DVR for years.

The comedians who used to love Cosby were not usually that way due to The Cosby Show, which was certainly a massively popular show at the time - I remember some point in the 90s, TV Guide described it as "the last show we all watched together," meaning both as families and as a country, before cable really hit its stride and splintered audiences. But the big Cosby fans were about his stand-up albums from back in the day - telling stories from when he was a kid who got beat and not the parent beating his kids - because they were so full of complete goofball embellishment, weird voices, and exuberant charm that they made him a highly entertaining storyteller. I listened to those albums constantly as a boy and they informed a great deal of what coalesced into my sense of humor as an adult, and I imagine it was the same for a lot of comedy appreciators/practitioners. And that's why it was such a huge, arresting moment when I saw some random person on tumblr refer to Bill Cosby as a rapist and my brain went into panic mode. "WHY WOULD SOMEBODY SAY THAT? I HAVE FAT ALBERT T-SHIRTS!" And the more I learned, the more devastated I was that this guy I'd enjoyed so much was a goddamned creep-monster. And of course, I have friends who love making edgy Cosby rape jokes that just make me nauseous to this day. I kinda like Jim Jeffries, but I turned off his new special when he started going into Cosby stuff. I still feel horrible about it.

Even before that really broke, though, he was looking really "off his meds" on talk shows. The last thing I remember seeing that was fun was when he was on Letterman and he actually climbed a ladder up to the balcony to hang with the fans up there. He was on Jimmy Fallon not long before everything crashed and he was kind of wandering the whole set like he might as well have been drunk.

Sometimes, his bits from "Why Is There Air?" that I memorized pop up on my shuffle, and I'll spend some time listening to things that used to make me happy and now make me sad, because wistful reminiscences aren't as funny when you're just wondering whether or not he'd started raping people by the point he's telling you about his football experience against Hofstra. I'm not sure why I haven't taken everything off the iPod yet. Maybe I'm just reminding myself never to have heroes.

If Steve Martin ever turns out to be secretly horrible, though, I'm done.

Anyway, I'm glad Jon Stewart came back to pep talk Larry Wilmore the same way David Letterman came on Jon Stewart's last MTV show to comfort him about cancellation - even, I believe, quoting Letterman's advice to him about not confusing cancellation with failure.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't share the reverence you do for the Cos, but you can separate the author from their work and still enjoy the latter for what it is. I can think of quite a few cases where you need to do that to varying degrees. That said, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to, especially in the case of Cosby, Michael Jackson, Roman Polanski etc.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

I don't share the reverence you do for the Cos, but you can separate the author from their work and still enjoy the latter for what it is. I can think of quite a few cases where you need to do that to varying degrees. That said, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to, especially in the case of Cosby, Michael Jackson, Roman Polanski etc.

Like with a certain mod and his Trek gifs?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

IRQ posted:

Yeah, I can still sometimes quietly enjoy it by myself, but I have to put myself back in the before-time, when he was just a lovably silly man and not a shitbag (even though I know there was no time he was not both). It's a little easier with music than comedy, which is a lot more directly relies on identifying with the actual human being.

I guess the difference may come in being able to enjoy what you already have/know, but any further actual support of the person or his work should probably be stopped.

I'm thankful I never really got into Woody Allen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Thanks for that, I understand much more now. Jim doesn't stay on subject for overly long, I'd recommend skipping ahead five minutes and giving that special another shot. :) It was excellent.

• Locked thread