Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

Forgot to say 1PPR so yeah, Matthews is a no brainer. I am just still salty from last year. It really comes down to Diggs, Hill or Carr.

I was just offered Keenan Allen ($47 ) for Lamar Miller ($10)

Is it worth countering Hill and Diggs for Allen? 1PPR, I could be trotting out Allen/Robinson/Matthews and still have plenty of cap space for the draft.

Certainly ask about Hill and Diggs. Hell, if you're really down on Matthews, him plus either is defensible, despite the salary difference. It's just that Allen you'd only keep maybe 2 years given the salary increase, right? Whereas Matthews you can basically hold indefinitely. That's the bigger deal for me than the fact that you could afford Allen this year. Edit: Actually, just reviewed salary increase, 10% each for first three years isn't that much. Matthews + Hill/Diggs for Allen looks a bit more fair, though I still am not positive I'd do it.

I wouldn't do Miller given the salary difference.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Miller is untradable at this point unless I am blown away. Also, as down as I am on Matthews, I don't want to give him away. Allen will be gone in two years, but good drafting will hopefully mean his replacement is in the wings.

Gonna counter with Diggs/Hill.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So Sammie Coates was just dropped to the waiver wire and I was thinking of picking him up to replace Green-Beckham. I've thrown in a low ball bid for now, but I'm not sure how aggressively I should pursue this guy if it enters into a bidding war.

What is your guys opinion on Coates?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

coronaball posted:

Can we get a link to the Beersheets in the OP like we had last year, now that draft season is nigh?

https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/4y91dg/beersheets_20160817_off_the_pup_edition/

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Cervixalot posted:

I'm actually interested to hear your thoughts on this. I enjoy messing around with DFS a bit in-season, but I get a good chuckle out of seeing some of the Twitter guys obsess over preseason DFS.

RAHEEM MOSTERT HYPE TRAIN

I'm fine with DFS, DFS is great, but if you think about fantasy football players as a spectrum with Joan from accounting in your office league picking the cutest players on the left and DFS sharks on the right, that's when DFS advice becomes iffy. DFS is trying to differentiate the best from the best, trying to move further to the right on that spectrum (in some cases you can decide which spectrum I'm referring to), so you get people talking about how Rod Streater is a great DFS play week one because Amari Cooper is iffy and the Saints have an injured corner who can't play in press and blah blah blah (for example). That piece of advice is meant to take a shot at diversifying the exposure to maybe 5% across your DFS lineups to be further right on the spectrum and differentiate.

Joan from accounting could hear this same advice and go out and pick up and start Rod Streater because all she heard was it was a good play, not realizing that the person who said that has about 5% confidence in Streater (which would be based on their exposure to him). DFS strategy is about separating and differentiating the top 1-2% of players that week, and people eavesdrop on the conversation.

Then you get that their week-in, week-out thought process is based around differentiating themselves from that top 1-5% so you get really deep hot takes and deep dives (and counter hot takes) with the chance they play out. These are useless for the casual player who is just trying to figure out if they should start Tony Romo or Philip Rivers.

I honestly think way too much of fantasy football advice has moved to proving the person is smarter than the industry and uncovered a hidden truth rather than trying to actually help people.

Case in point: I'm doing team-by-team primers for fantasy football right now. It's boring. Super boring. I'm rehashing garbage ("OH WOW GUYS MARK SANCHEZ IS BAD") but my friends keep telling me they're helpful draft prep because it helps flesh out the QB, RB and WR situation and it lets them know who has gone where in the offseason. Guys like Evan Silva would probably think this below them because the industry is moving towards a by the industry, for the industry model as they try to jockey for position and to get exposure and be seen.

Case in point: I've heard people say "just look at the ranks! Stop asking!" when referring to start/sit questions because they're tired of answering them. Bro that's why you're here. That's exactly why you're here. To shed light on people's questions and give them advice.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 18, 2016

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

jadebullet posted:

So Sammie Coates was just dropped to the waiver wire and I was thinking of picking him up to replace Green-Beckham. I've thrown in a low ball bid for now, but I'm not sure how aggressively I should pursue this guy if it enters into a bidding war.

What is your guys opinion on Coates?

Speaking from a prospect perspective I thought Coates was very similar to DeVante Parker and should have been a second rounder. He didn't have the stats of Parker but he consistently showed up against NFL talent CBs with a way weaker QB throwing to him.

But this is the NFL and I think that he'll be firmly entrenched behind Wheaton until Wheaton goes down or plays too badly to continue being in two wide sets. That's whats lovely about slot guys who deserve those extra few reps of the X receiver. If they do well then the coach keeps them in the slot. If they do poorly then the coach keeps them in the slot.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Why did Martavis have to smoke up?!?! :smith:

Way better than wheaton or coates.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Keeper question: PPR1 league. Keepers are retained for a given round draft pick.

I get up to 4 keepers: Already plan to keep WR Hopkins (2nd), WR Cooper (6th), RB D.Johnson (9th). I can then choose between Doug Martin (7th) or Thomas Rawls (10th). Leaning to Rawls but wondering if that's the Seahawks fan bias.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Tank44 posted:

Keeper question: PPR1 league. Keepers are retained for a given round draft pick.

I get up to 4 keepers: Already plan to keep WR Hopkins (2nd), WR Cooper (6th), RB D.Johnson (9th). I can then choose between Doug Martin (7th) or Thomas Rawls (10th). Leaning to Rawls but wondering if that's the Seahawks fan bias.

Probably a coin flip. Rawls does have the better price tag.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Looking for somebody to take over a team in my mostly goon dynasty league; standard scoring, 8 owner league, 3 player taxi squad for inactive players up until the end of their second year, 7 player bench. Standard positions also. Here's the roster for anyone interested, and the team has first pick in the upcoming rookie draft, which we're trying to start ASAP.

QB: Matt Stafford
RB: Rashad Jennings
RB: Melvin Gordon
WR: Calvin Johnson (lol)
WR: Odell Beckham Jr
TE: Antonio Gates
Flex: Emmanuel Sanders
D/ST: Packers
K: Chandler Catanzaro

Bench:
Andre Johnson
Jason Witten
Davante Adams
Eli Manning

Taxi:
Dorial Green-Beckham
Jaelen Strong
Devin Smith

Obviously has a few holes in the roster, but there's some talent there and 4 open slots once you kick megatron from the roster, and again first pick in rookie draft!

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Nur_Neerg posted:

Looking for somebody to take over a team in my mostly goon dynasty league; standard scoring, 8 owner league, 3 player taxi squad for inactive players up until the end of their second year, 7 player bench. Standard positions also. Here's the roster for anyone interested, and the team has first pick in the upcoming rookie draft, which we're trying to start ASAP.

QB: Matt Stafford
RB: Rashad Jennings
RB: Melvin Gordon
WR: Calvin Johnson (lol)
WR: Odell Beckham Jr
TE: Antonio Gates
Flex: Emmanuel Sanders
D/ST: Packers
K: Chandler Catanzaro

Bench:
Andre Johnson
Jason Witten
Davante Adams
Eli Manning

Taxi:
Dorial Green-Beckham
Jaelen Strong
Devin Smith

Obviously has a few holes in the roster, but there's some talent there and 4 open slots once you kick megatron from the roster, and again first pick in rookie draft!

Not gonna lie that team is a bit disgusting for a 8 team league. haha

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

VietCampo posted:

Not gonna lie that team is a bit disgusting for a 8 team league. haha

Hence first pick in the draft :v:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Spoeank posted:

I honestly think way too much of fantasy football advice has moved to proving the person is smarter than the industry and uncovered a hidden truth rather than trying to actually help people.

This is exactly it. It's the same thing that happens in finance. Guy gets lucky one year and hits on most of his dart throws, then thinks he's a bonafide market guru who's "figured it out" and can't be bothered to do any basic analysis anymore.

Also, Beer4thebeergod, I'm probably just a moron, but why can't I edit any of your beersheet excel files? I'm just trying to black out drafted players and highlight my own, but it doesn't change anything. Could be a problem on my end, but just wanted to see if there was something obvious I was missing.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Mikey Purp posted:

This is exactly it. It's the same thing that happens in finance. Guy gets lucky one year and hits on most of his dart throws, then thinks he's a bonafide market guru who's "figured it out" and can't be bothered to do any basic analysis anymore.

Also, Beer4thebeergod, I'm probably just a moron, but why can't I edit any of your beersheet excel files? I'm just trying to black out drafted players and highlight my own, but it doesn't change anything. Could be a problem on my end, but just wanted to see if there was something obvious I was missing.

For me the Excel sheet opens in protected view and you have to enable editing, mabye that's the issue?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

If you can't actually edit the file then you need to enable that. Otherwise try seeing about the formulas and if they're automatically updating; it's under the option. The updates also apply to conditional formatting.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Probably a coin flip. Rawls does have the better price tag.

I feel like Dougie has a higher floor, and I'd pay that price. 7th vs. 10th is pretty inconsequential, especially in a 4 player keeper, where it's essentially an 11th vs. a 14th.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

Select the cells you want to edit -> go to conditional formatting -> clear rules -> cells selected. If you remove all the formatting it'll remove all the tiers.

I would select all the cells between the columns of Name and .5/1/P remove the formatting and then add back in your tiers. Should be good after that.

RisqueBarber fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 18, 2016

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Cool, that was it. Thanks guys!

keldegar
Sep 27, 2004

what, you don't like pizza?
Any idea how I can sort beer sheets by VAL to make a top 200 to input into ESPN for auto-drafting purposes?

edit: figured out I can copypasta into another sheet and sort it... duh. thanks anyway! haha

keldegar fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 18, 2016

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Its Miller Time posted:

One more call - join in on the 3rd inaugural $50 buy in fantasy football league I am running again. We only have 1 more spot open.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3786119

Details:
9/1 draft at 6:30PM PST, snake, order posted once 12 people have paid using a RNG
12 teams, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 flex, no kicker with 20 total spots.
PPR, 6 points per passing TD
ESPN, Leaguesafe.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Sago posted:

I feel like Dougie has a higher floor, and I'd pay that price. 7th vs. 10th is pretty inconsequential, especially in a 4 player keeper, where it's essentially an 11th vs. a 14th.

I agree. I don't know much about keeper value.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Anyone else sitting here hoping Marvin Jones ADP doesn't rise too much like me?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

VietCampo posted:

The only thing this is really doing is solidifying my targeting of Matty Stafford even more.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Did something happen or was that just a general question?

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Metapod posted:

Did something happen or was that just a general question?

He's looked p good so far today with Stafford and there's been nothing but good news about him doing good in lions camp and becoming Stafford's go to receiver lately. I'm just not wanting his ADP to rise too much where he's no longer a great value.

sidenote: Holy poo poo owners of steelers players better not hope Ben gets injured again. Landry Jones has 4 INT'S in the first half.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 19, 2016

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Jim Schwartz Eagles D + them specials teams.

9 turnovers in 6 quarters. 4 interceptions in just this half of this game right now.

Just saying, y'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllll

Offense looks like dumpster fire, however

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

VietCampo posted:

Yeah I'm with you on Jones. He seems like a great value. Runs a full route tree and ought to command a 20% or higher target share, even in the red zone.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

My guess is he's going to leap into the 6th and WR... 30? 31?

Right now on FP it's

30 J Matthews
31 Moncrief (what)
32 John Brown
33 Devante Parker
34 DJax
35 Lockett
36 K White
37 Crabtree
38 Marvin Jones

My guess is Matthews drops, Moncrief takes his spot, Brown plummets, and Jones leapfrogs everyone but Moncrief.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

by the way this is the type of poo poo I was talking about with people going way too deep to try to show how genius they are

https://twitter.com/4for4_John/status/766430425682104321

I have great respect for Paulsen but 15 targets?

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Didn't you write an article about turning over every cheap rock to find value at TE?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
I'm only a quarter in, but Langford looks like the better 2nd year player than Kevin White this game. Stat sheet isn't going to tell that whole story either - had some some of his better runs called back (including a really sharp spin around a Jamie Collins missile).

Still have serious reservations about Langford but he looks better on the ground so far than he did last year.

White looks like highly drafted rookie. I know, pretty much exactly what you'd expect given the circumstances.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spoeank posted:

My guess is he's going to leap into the 6th and WR... 30? 31?

Right now on FP it's

30 J Matthews
31 Moncrief (what)
32 John Brown
33 Devante Parker
34 DJax
35 Lockett
36 K White
37 Crabtree
38 Marvin Jones

My guess is Matthews drops, Moncrief takes his spot, Brown plummets, and Jones leapfrogs everyone but Moncrief.

Any reason you think Brown is going to plummet?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Tiptoes posted:

Didn't you write an article about turning over every cheap rock to find value at TE?

Paulsen of all people knows 15 targets means nothing is my point but he's gotta be ahead of everyone else.

It's not actionable information.

RVProfootballer posted:

Any reason you think Brown is going to plummet?

He's had scrambled brains for two weeks and we're reaching the "oh gently caress this could be bad" territory. His ADP will probably dip then spike.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

C. Mike slips on first run. The dream is over...

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Paulsen of all people knows 15 targets means nothing is my point but he's gotta be ahead of everyone else.

It's not actionable information.
It's a list of SIXTEEN tight ends and you're nitpicking because he tweeted a thought about Virgil Green. If he liked what he saw on film and that player now has a larger role, that limited data may still have value. Opportunity is the biggest determinant of TE1 value and that's sometimes found in places we don't expect.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Tiptoes posted:

It's a list of SIXTEEN tight ends and you're nitpicking because he tweeted a thought about Virgil Green. If he liked what he saw on film and that player now has a larger role, that limited data may still have value. Opportunity is the biggest determinant of TE1 value and that's sometimes found in places we don't expect.

IN a list of 16 Tight Ends, a dude who has been in the league since 2011 on the same team has racked up such impressive numbers as:

Receptions: 48
Yards: 379
TDs: 2

And last year when he was the TE1, he saw about 383 snaps and had 14 receptions and 1 TD. On one hand yah its a list of 16 TE's but this is not inspiring any sort of confidence that he should be anywhere near that list.

Edit: This was based on me quickly checking stats from Rotoworld and if I missed something let me know.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 19, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So I have the option of taking the following in our 1PPR keeper auction draft:
- Antonio Brown: $48
- DeAndre Hopkins: $26
- Brandon Marshall: $10
- Devonte Freeman: $2

It's such an embarrasment of riches, but I'm leaning DeAndre. Thoughts?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm driving myself crazy trying to pick my keepers in a 16 team league. I've got six slots to fill, four of whom are obvious (Aaron Rodgers, Eddie Lacy, Julio Jones, Donte Moncrief, Greg Olsen). It's the last spot vexing me. Right now, I have it set as Jay Ajayi. My other options are Tevin Coleman, Tyler Lockett, Vincent Jackson, and Steve Smith Sr.

Realistically, I think my choice boils down to Ajayi and Lockett. I'm starting to feel like I only have Ajayi in the keeper slot because I was so excited about stashing him away last season, and that the Arian Foster signing completely changed things and now Lockett is a much less risky keeper pick.

Thoughts?

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Picking last again in a 14 team league. I got Gronk and Julio Jones in PPR with my first and second picks last year and won it all. I don't think I'll be as lucky this year. My plan is to scare everyone into a QB run in the first round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Boon posted:

So I have the option of taking the following in our 1PPR keeper auction draft:
- Antonio Brown: $48
- DeAndre Hopkins: $26
- Brandon Marshall: $10
- Devonte Freeman: $2

It's such an embarrasment of riches, but I'm leaning DeAndre. Thoughts?

Hopkins. Freeman 2nd. Brown is too expensive imo.

• Locked thread