Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Ichigo's lovely haircut reminded me of Gene's lovely haircut at the end of Outlaw Star now that I think about it. Also I guess ghosts can gently caress. That's what we learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I've never watched or read bleach can somebody explain why everybody is flipping their shits over the ending

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

dragon enthusiast posted:

I've never watched or read bleach can somebody explain why everybody is flipping their shits over the ending

A terrible manga with terrible pacing turns out to have a terrible ending with terrible pacing. Also some fans are angry about their ship sinking due to a canon broadside.

Good Listener posted:

Ichigo's lovely haircut reminded me of Gene's lovely haircut at the end of Outlaw Star now that I think about it. Also I guess ghosts can gently caress. That's what we learned.

Where do ghost baby souls come from? Dead Hollows?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

people read this every week despite claiming to hate it but also wanted a really good ending in something that was cancelled early

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

In no particular order:

1. The final battle and ending were hilariously rushed on account of WSJ finally getting fed up with Kubo's terrible pacing and shitcanning his manga.
2. Plot threads major and minor alike were inexplicably dropped in favor of having a few pages of Soifon and Byakuya running around accomplishing nothing.
3. A fan preferred couple everybody had assumed would hook up because they're nerds who over analyze comics for children did not, in fact, hook up.
4. The "And everybody lived happily ever after, let's timeskip to the children of the main characters" epilogue is cliche and feels incredibly out of place in Bleach.
5. People were hoping the special announcement would be that the Bleach anime was getting picked back up, instead it's a live action movie (:lol:)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well that last chapter was incredibly unsatisfying

rip bleach you sure did happen I guess

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spiderdrake posted:

I think this thread (or whatever) gives credit where credit is do.

It's not like people didn't say when they thought a chapter was good.

They didn't though? Even when a chapter was good it was like me and two others and the rest being like "This is dumb and pointless."

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I just want to know why Rukia's kid stepped out of a black hole.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Baal posted:

They didn't though? Even when a chapter was good it was like me and two others and the rest being like "This is dumb and pointless."

They did? On the last 50 or so chapters the instances I can think of where people generally said "this is good" were:

1) The reveal of Kyoraku's Bankai. It was not a "Perfect Counter designed 4 U" and it was hyped for the longest time. It backlashed when it didn't stick in favor for a "Perfect Asspull Counter"
2) Urahara defeating Askin with a non "Perfect Counter". And again when it actually turned out to have stuck (unlike all other instances in this arc were an opponent was believed defeated and turned out ok)
3) Hitsugaya, Byakuya and Kenpachi teamworking Thor down, specially Byakuya finally realising that, yes, I can in fact use this swords to cut. This backlashed when it didn't stick.
4) Aizen outgambiting Yhwach giving Ichigo an opening to finish the fight. This backlashed when it didn't stick and led to an exact rehash with the exact same cliffhanger.

edit: Also, a lot of people were really happy when Ichigo and Orihime were the ones who were going to confront Yhwach as a possible redeeming moment for Orihime. It went dowhill super fast when Orihime was defeated off panel.

As you can see, there were at least 5 moments in which the poster's general consensus was "this is good", with only one upholding after the following chapter caming out and completely undoing the previous one.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 18, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
People were in general pretty happy when the Battle of the Month featured characters they liked too, though naturally people who weren't as enthusiastic about said characters were grumpy.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
So does Ichigo's kid get all the shinigami/hollow/fullbringer/quincy powers and Orihime's vaguely defined reality warping powers? Do quincy powers even exist anymore with Ywach dead? What exactly happened with Ywach there anyway? Is Rukia and Renji's kid a ghost or alive? Why does she look to be the same age as Ichigo and Orihime's kid, shouldn't she age much slower since she's a shinigami? Where's Ichigo's dad in all of this, did he and Ryuken go off to be dad pals somewhere and leave their sons to live their lives? Is this how you end a series? I mean, is this where we go from here? The movie better sure as hell make up for this, I'm telling you right now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I bet this cliff hanger (of course bleach would end on one) will never be revisited because bleach was cancelled and I doubt jump is gonna let kubo follow up on it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ichigos kid is going to have a hard time in school explaining things to his friends/teachers. "Grandpa is a ghost" "Oh dear poor boy, how about your grandma?" "No, grandma is just dead". "Some of my dads best friends are ghosts and their daughter is my girlfriend!"

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I just want to know why Rukia's kid stepped out of a black hole.

Could be the black hole was some stupid thing kubo did with the final boss dying? I honestly think she just stepped through his wall immediately after it disappeared.

I mean the black hole think looked a lot like the hyokygo covered in ywach goop.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

RIP bleach you were a bad manga

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope there is a data book or tweet or something at least that says what happened with the other prominent characters, not that Kubo really cares.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Still can't get over how the ultra-hyped Biggest Bad™ was supposedly undone by a kid sticking his hand inside said Biggest Bad™'s hole. Seems like it's setting up for 'Bleach 2: The Coloroxening' but I'm not willing to bet anyone's wiling to trust Kubo with a project this side of Soul Society.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

What exactly happened with Ywach there anyway?

I see that everyone is confused about this, "Yawach was doing his whole gonna kill you all at your happiest moment" thing showing up when rukia got promoted and when ichigo was gathered with friends and family simultaneously (time shenanigans are dumb) but ichigo killed Ywach instead in the penultimate chapter causing poth of those Ywach bubbles to burst the kid didn't actually do anything.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Someone mentioned that Bleach was over, so I am back! Hey gang, missed all of you who I didn't see in other threads. The last part I read was just after Grimmjow turned up, and I skipped to The End without apparently having missed a single thing. I feel like I could have skipped straight from the old head of Soul Society dying back nearer the start of the arc and not have missed anything else of note.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

They could have skipped 10 years in the future and had kids after fake karakura or even after fullbringers.

I didn't start on Bleach until 2008, so by the time I caught up it was just getting into the swing of the Fullbringers arc. I was absolutely baffled; the end of Fake Karakura was the obvious point to end the series at, even, if it was all in aid of nothing and didn't really explain much. At least the bad guy was defeated and there was closure to Ichigo's time as a shinigami.

Then suddenly there was a brand new arc where they were just doing poo poo in the real world and I thought, hey, maybe they're taking it back to how the series was in the beginning. A soft reboot I can get behind! Then the 'final arc' starts, which was even more confusing, because it meant they undid the end of the last major arc for one last hurrah, which then went on to last loving years and gave us even more unresolved threads.

Doresh posted:

So it was either Orihime or Tatsuki, if the latter still exists somewhere.

Did Tatsuki even show up in the final chapter? She was the original Dropped Plot Thread, a harbinger of things to come.

I am glad I dropped this and wish I had before. Bitching about Bleach really is the best part of Bleach, and even that is just attempting to make the best of having wasted years of our lives.

Good loving lord.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
Seems weird that nothing about Urahara was brought up considering he's been a major character since the beginning of the series, really feels like he should have given that dumb courage speech instead of Aizen.

Also Ichigo/Orihime's pureblooded ShiniQuincyFullbringerHollowGami healer kid managed to take out the last vestige of Ywach by sticking his hand in a random-rear end hole, cool

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Did Tatsuki even show up in the final chapter? She was the original Dropped Plot Thread, a harbinger of things to come.

I am glad I dropped this and wish I had before. Bitching about Bleach really is the best part of Bleach, and even that is just attempting to make the best of having wasted years of our lives.

Good loving lord.

yes she did. so did ichigo's other ghost-seeing c lister friends

they were there for like 2 panels and tastuki's face is half covered by a text bubble in the second one

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That final chapter was poo poo, Ichigo fighting Quincy Lemmy was poo poo, his dual swords didn't do poo poo, new bankai didn't do poo poo. Since when were you under the impression that it wasn't poo poo? :smugdog:

I hope the live action movie is made by the people that did Turkish Star Wars at least that would be entertaining.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Protodude posted:

Also Ichigo/Orihime's pureblooded ShiniQuincyFullbringerHollowGami healer kid managed to take out the last vestige of Ywach by sticking his hand in a random-rear end hole, cool

Ichikid has all the ShiniHowFulQuinMan powers AND is capable to properly reject reality.

He is like, that villain from the reigai arc who had gamebreaking powers but was a chump, and only after splitting his powers and rejoining them again in a clone body was he able to properly use them.

He rejected Yhwach out of existence, like his mother should have, but couldn't, because she is a female character in Tite Kubo's Bleach manga.

You see, it was all part of Aizen's Keikaku.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 18, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
In my mind, the series ended with Decide and the Fullbringer arc was the epilouge. The Quincy arc had its moments, but I basically consider it author-written fan fiction.

Renji and Rukia's kid looks awesome.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I just went and looked at a couple of the previous chapters and holy poo poo, Nel, Urahara, Yoruichi and whoever the gently caress else just got left in a death bubble and didn't even get a final panel to let us know they were okay.

Did we really need the final Ywach fakeout? Could they not have just had a montage of characters so we at least know that Halibel didn't starve to death in a ghost nazi sex dungeon?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Can't wait to read Bleach Boruto complete with terrible artwork drawn by an assistant who butchers Kubo's style.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Sydin posted:

Can't wait to read Bleach Boruto complete with terrible artwork drawn by an assistant who butchers Kubo's style.

If you butcher Kubo's art, there is nothing redeeming about recent Bleach.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Kubo's art the last few chapters looked even more rushed than normal

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Rukia got with loving Renji?

loving lol

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Sydin posted:

It's going to have soaring, amazing backgrounds, and characters with no detail at all.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubeTheory posted:

It's going to have soaring, amazing backgrounds, and characters with no detail at all.

I'd unironically read that, though.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

What if kubo made the worst ending to make sure no one could ever profit from bleach ever again, killing bleach forever and becoming the unsung hero of this thread

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
People who read through the entire Soul Society arc week-by-week, and then kept reading when Heuco Mundo was revealed to be Soul Society 2.0, just loving baffle me.

Why would you expect anything good after that? I only suffered through Soul Society because I was hoping it was an aberration. When it was revealed to be the New Normal, I jumped ship. And Soul Society was the high point compared to everything that came after! At least it had some good characters, a few good fights, and some cool scenes even though overall it was a total slog.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
In the sequel, Ichigo's kid decides to ally with his great grandfather, Ywach, and destroys soul society after realizing that he now has the shrift "A" for the Almighty.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Soul Society was fun, although I probably would have had less fun if I had been watching/reading it a week at a time.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

Rukia got with loving Renji?

loving lol

Have people been ignoring like the last three years of the book? I wouldn't blame you actually. It was always obvious that Ichigo was going to marry the big titty clone of his mom that has an insane crush on him. So we don't know what happens to Urahara, Isshin, Ryuken, Yoruichi?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I thought Orihime was technically a Fullbringer like Chad, or did I miss something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Scyantific posted:

I thought Orihime was technically a Fullbringer like Chad, or did I miss something.

she is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Scyantific posted:

It was never officially confirmed despite all signs pointing to yes.

--

Kubo's assistants were the ones that did the backgrounds. Yes the blank space.

• Locked thread