Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Holy poo poo about time. Now I'm excited to see where this depressing arc ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

RevKrule posted:

While on the subject of gore, Invincible is ending (about loving time).

http://www.skybound.com/robert-kirkman-on-the-end-of-invincible/

Maybe I should catch up then? I stopped at around Issue 75~

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
So Wik+Div... wow! I was kind of expecting a scene like that at the end but not this early, I've got no clue where they're going to go now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Speaking of gore, is anyone but me still reading Spread?

Only when I notice a new issue, which isn't often. At this point I may be trade-waiting by default.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
Picked up these today:

Snotgirl #1: Finally managed to get this, second printing. Love everything about it, interested to see how O'Malley writes the story around a character most would find completely unlikable and unrelatable.

Horizon #2: The first issue didn't have much for me to latch onto, and this issue does little to change that. None of the characters seem very interesting, their designs generic, and some of the paneling is hard to follow without rereading. The basic premise is interesting but it's just not being written in an interesting way. I'll pick up one more issue but unless something changes, probably no more after that.

Demonic
#1: Super dark, super violent. Went into this blind, didn't read a summary or tag line or anything. Halfway through I thought it was almost too dark for me to enjoy, but then what the plot actually is surfaces. Protagonist's motivation is kind of generic, but past that the character is interesting. Love Sebela's thoughts at the end. Looking forward to #2

the Gaffe fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 18, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not gonna follow Horizon, it looks too slow burning for my tastes.

Also lol looks like stuff worked out in WicDiv

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 18, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
man sometimes I find the dialogue in WickDiv iffy, but that was a great issue :drat:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up some books today:

Black Hammer #2 was good, providing more context for the situation the heroes find themselves in. I like the reverse Shazam ripoff, but it did feel kind of odd to get an in-depth look at one of the characters when the situation as a whole is still fairly open ended.

Demonic #1 was ok. Pretty generic cop guy and then he becomes a demonic killer. Its interested to contrast this with Kill or Be Killed, which had a somewhat similar premise but was just a better book. It's a 6 issue mini so there's a good chance I just stick with it and see how it plays out. My one big complaint is that the panels didn't seem to flow very well, especially in the hospital, where it flipped from inside to outside for no reason I could tell.

Brigs Land #1. This was a great first issue and I'm really looking forward to reading the next one. I like the concept of a matriarch taking over Waco, possibly by fighting her sons to do so, and the art and dialogue was pretty on point. Definitely the highlight of the week.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

man sometimes I find the dialogue in WickDiv iffy, but that was a great issue :drat:

Yeah, big laughs out of Woden's inner thoughts and 'Oh god, someone's probably jacking off to this'

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is Welcome Back any good? I know nothing's new under the sun but I just got immediately turned off by how it felt like someone had just recently read Spirit Circle.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I liked it, I think it's finished in a really abrupt "and the adventure continues" way, never heard of Spirit Circle though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a Mignolaverse thread anywhere or is this it?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

READ MORE BALTIMORE-- I mean, yeah, all that good Dark Horse stuff is in this thread so far.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

zoux posted:

Is there a Mignolaverse thread anywhere or is this it?

I'm excited/sad to see the main Hellboy-related titles winding down. This week's BPRD was pretty great and I loved the crossover with Hellboy in Hell.

It looks like the retro BPRD titles will carry on, at least.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like I've barely learned anything about what's going on or who's who in Horizon so far in two issues.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Welcome Back started off with an interesting premise and a pretty art style, then suddenly changed artists towards the end of issue 2 or 3 and got way more generic looking. I ended up dropping it because of the art switch and the story going in a really boring direction.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow Abrahm's a huge loving dick in Black Hammer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've decided to change the way I buy ongoing indie books from now on. Unless it's a creative team I know can crank something out on time, or it's specifically solicited mini I'm not going to get into any new books only to have them hit ridiculous delays. As much as I like Hickman I'm not going to read Black Monday Murders unless it keeps a decent schedule for several issues. The last Hickman book I got into and loved was delayed into who knows when. This goes for books by other writers as well. I'm just tired of liking new books and then having to wait months between issues. I'll either buy them in collections later or buy singles when an arc is finished.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Space Fish posted:

READ MORE BALTIMORE-- I mean, yeah, all that good Dark Horse stuff is in this thread so far.

Baltimore really is surprisingly good.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

X-O posted:

I've decided to change the way I buy ongoing indie books from now on.
I did something similar to this a while back. I got fed up with the delays of books I really like, so I basically read every indy book in trade only now. I'll get a #1 issue to see if I think it'll be worth buying in trade, and if I like the #1, I pick the trade up eventually when it comes out. I've added Kill or Be Killed, Black Monday Murders, and Briggs Land to my buy-trade-eventually list recently. It's a lot easier to keep a little Google doc of the stuff you want to buy in trade and read it all in collections than try to keep up with a story where 5 issues of an arc take 11 months to come out.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Black Monday Murders was the tits. I don't think I've read any indie Hickman before- does he have a bad reputation of massive delays or what?

WicDiv's firing on all cylinders as well. I guess next issue we find out just what Ananke was preventing with her little murder cycles. Looking forward to next month's one-shot, too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I know I say this every time a Wicked + Divine issue comes out, but please spoiler text things that happen in comics that are fresh off the press in a general interest thread that doesn't explicitly about discussing spoilers. I think it literally only happens with this comic and I have no idea why.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

I've decided to change the way I buy ongoing indie books from now on. Unless it's a creative team I know can crank something out on time, or it's specifically solicited mini I'm not going to get into any new books only to have them hit ridiculous delays. As much as I like Hickman I'm not going to read Black Monday Murders unless it keeps a decent schedule for several issues. The last Hickman book I got into and loved was delayed into who knows when. This goes for books by other writers as well. I'm just tired of liking new books and then having to wait months between issues. I'll either buy them in collections later or buy singles when an arc is finished.

This makes sense. I'm just starting to get into comics and buy singles and the value proposition is pretty piss. You get part of a story that may take years to finish, at a pretty substantial markup.

My own approach so far is to buy singles starting at #1 from authors I like, or mini-series. So in the last month or so I've grabbed Black Monday Murders, Brig's Land, Black Hammer, Kill or Be Killed, 2nd a handful of mini-series, but I've also passed on some stuff that seemed interesting (and most of the big 2, and Valiant, which I love but prefer in trades). I figure if I like the creators I can justify spending money to support their books even if the value proposition is weak.

Any money I don't spend on a new indie book can buy me 1-4 old indie books from the loonie / toonie bins at some of the local shops or weekend flea markets.

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016
Volume three of March has been excellent, but wow was it slow going; I had to stop every couple dozen pages because parts of it are so difficult to get through. It's beautiful to see how dignified, kind, and courageous people can be, but at the same time there are just so many depressing, infuriating examples of hatred and violence. I'm very glad they made the choice to intersperse bits from the more optimistic present throughout the series instead of leaving it to the end, but even that wasn't enough at times.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Well, I finally read The Fade Out and Y the Last Man. The way everyone talked about the former I thought it was still a running series like The Fix, so I was kind of surprised and disappointed when it suddenly ended, but it was a nice contained little tale and the ending was perfect...I just didn't know the last issue was coming, thought it would be more of an epic sized Image series, there seemed like there was more to explore with the world and characters and I didn't expect everything to get wrapped up like that. But still, great series. RIP GIL.
With Y, it was one of those series people kept telling me I had to read, and I'd enjoyed some of BKV's other stuff...but for some reason Y was always the one that I'd get like X issues into and then forget about for four years. I think I got as far into them going to like, Japan, my first read ages ago, and dropped it. I don't know why, maybe it just wasn't compelling or the premise seemed like it had too much harem potential. I was wrong, of course...my feelings on it are still really odd though. I thought the final issue was really really good, I feel like Y had a perfect ending, and yet I feel like a lot of the reasons and motivations for things happening and the things that happened up till then seemed kind of silly and comic booky (well, it's the medium). I guess they excuse it with Y being an impulsive manchild, but a lot of the decisions made throughout the story kind of feel gimmicky and half-formed, like him immediately rushing out on Beth at the end when he finds out what she was going to say to him. Like, IMMEDIATELY? You just spent the entire story searching for this lady, littered with flashbacks about the emotional involvement she's had in your life thus far, and then you just run out? I'm not saying it was the wrong decision, but it just felt kind of silly the way it was executed. Sure, 355 calls him out on that, but where's the line there with a work of fiction shielding itself from apparent story flaws by calling them out? It just felt super scatter-brained, and for all of its length and scope it really felt like it was just rushing around on ADD around the world encountering these kind of gimmicky groups of people.
And I know that's called back with old Y's last words about cowboys and ninjas and robots or w/e and it's part of the silly charm or whatever, but even by "calling" that flaw out it still felt like it was just like NOW THERE'S A JAPANESE WOMEN FACTION AND THEY'RE NINJAS AND THEN THERE ARE COWGIRLS AND CRAZY ISRAELIS, like every "faction" seemed like a gimmicky G Gundam thing if anyone gets what I mean by that. I half expected like, female Royal Canadian Mounties to show up or like VE ARE ZE FRENCH WOMENZ FACTION. Kind of shallow and silly and almost like it had a short attention span. G'DAY MATE WE'RE THE AUSSIE WOMEN FACTION NOW MATE. AND HERE'S SOME WOMEN PIRATES!!!! OH poo poo IT'S THE VATICAN NOW, THEY'VE GOT MILITANT NUNS AND WOMEN SWISS GUARDS ATTACKING.
It kind of felt like a cheap costume party or like the climax of that one unofficial James Bond movie no one talks about anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN3xZAq1gfQ

But again I guess that's sort of just the charm and a part of the medium. It's not like you don't get that sort of silly over the top poo poo in Preacher, and at least Y the Last Man lacks that Garth Ennis cornball xTREME bullshit (although 355 should've slapped the poo poo out of Y when he was all wittily "nigga please", as if white boy).

All this aside, like I said, I did enjoy it and find it a pretty good series overall. I mean, I did binge through it. The ending just felt so much more, emotionally impactful and better executed than any other aspect of the series up till then...which I guess is what you want from an ending, but there's always the danger of an "unearned" ending. Somehow I didn't find this one unearned, despite my thoughts on the plot up till then. I think that's more of a credit to the ending.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 20, 2016

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
You know Elvis had a twin brother?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Y was fantastic (not perfect though, the goofy factions thing was definitely a problem), but is exhibit #2 of how BKV can't stick endings. I honestly would have preferred it if he had just ended when 355 dies. He could have left out the running away from Beth thing, or included it but left it vague as to whether he stays with her. None of that future flashback stuff was needed, and the future stuff was just bad.

Exhibit #1 is Ex Machina. gently caress that last volume so hard.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Jesus, what's with the calling Y a harem comic again.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

GrandpaPants posted:

I know I say this every time a Wicked + Divine issue comes out, but please spoiler text things that happen in comics that are fresh off the press in a general interest thread that doesn't explicitly about discussing spoilers. I think it literally only happens with this comic and I have no idea why.

But we've known what Ananke's been doing for... like three or four issues by now? Ohh, you mean that my post implies that they stopped her. Didn't even notice when I posted it, sorry. Also my method of dealing with this is I do not read this thread until I've read the new WicDiv because I know it's the most frequently discussed new comic in here. I'm not trying to be a snot, honest. I don't wander into "GeneralFantasyTV.com" on a Tuesday and hope nobody's discussing the new GoT episode I haven't seen yet, either.

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016

Jordan7hm posted:

Y was fantastic (not perfect though, the goofy factions thing was definitely a problem), but is exhibit #2 of how BKV can't stick endings. I honestly would have preferred it if he had just ended when 355 dies. He could have left out the running away from Beth thing, or included it but left it vague as to whether he stays with her. None of that future flashback stuff was needed, and the future stuff was just bad.

Exhibit #1 is Ex Machina. gently caress that last volume so hard.

You seem like a good person to ask: What is the problem with the ending of Ex Machina? It's been a while since I've read it, but I remember finding it a pretty logical conclusion to most of these characters' arcs.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I hated the end of Ex Machina too, to the point where I sold my TPBs afterwards.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The ending of Ex Machina was way too bleak. It felt like a big gently caress you to the reader for daring to enjoy the comic.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He had stuff in the earlier volumes about how the mayor was an rear end in a top hat, but that last one just took is to an unprecedented level. It felt out of character and like a total tonal shift for the story.

Basically it read like BKV didn't know how to end the series so he just went for the nuclear option.

In other news I've been reading a ton to indie stuff lately as I try to overcome jet lag:

Chew volumes 1-10... The story is dumb and over the top violent but I like the vibrant and exagerated art, and the story itself is fun through most of the run. It gets kind of dark towards the end, reminds me of Invincible going into darker places. Both stories were always really violent and gory but emotionally pretty light, but then they went real dark emotionally too. Invincible turned around from that from what I understand (I stopped when the space adventure started), maybe Chew will too? I have no idea where the series is right now. I think this brough me to issue 55. A lot of comics.

Luthor Strange... Talents, legend, and legacy. It's fine. Reminds me of a Western version of what I assume Dragon Ball Z is about, crazy beefcake fighting violently. I wouldn't really seek out other Justin Jordan work based on this book though. The ending is hopeful, though I didn't like any of the lead up to it. I am pissed they didn't finish the story about the incest siblings in the back matter of the issues. It wasn't particularly good I just don't enjoy being stopped at 3/4 chapters of a story.

Morning Glories vol 1 & 2. Not sure I'm going to continue this. Not much to say about it. The art is kind of boring and the story is not nearly as compelling as a story about a school of .... you know, the problem is that I don't know what these kids are in this school for. Are they training to be assassins or something? Two volumes in and I don't see the point of all this.

I Kill Giants. Owns.

Four Eyes. Also owns. I like Joe Kelly apparently. He does a great job in both books of writing very different kids.

Memetic. Meh. The art, outside of the meme itself, isn't particularly impressive, and the story is really just another zombie story except here it's for aliens or something? The positive portrayal of an LGBT protagonist is nice but that's not enough to carry a book.

Pax Romana. Its Hickman, therefore I am predisposed to like it. No letdown here. I like the concept and the worldbuilding, the art is nice, and the story itself is fairly self contained. Two issues: I didn't like the lettering, and it seems like this was supposed to be the start of something larger that never came to fruition. Hickman even talks about how he rewrote the first issue to change when the moderns arrive in Rome to allow for better additional stories.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 20, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

hadji murad posted:

Jesus, what's with the calling Y a harem comic again.
I was alluding to my mistaken impressions/assumptions, luckily it avoided that sort of thing. I don't have high expectations for comics as a medium so when I see something with that setting I tend to assume the worst.

I maybe need to give Ex-Machina another chance and try to finish it, now that I did that with Y...but all the tired "grandpa talking politics" hot takes kind of wore me out in the early issues. BOY AINT MODERN ART RIDICULOUS???

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The political stuff in Ex Machina is bad the whole way through. It you have a low tolerance for south park politics, avoid avoid avoid.

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016

Jordan7hm posted:

He had stuff in the earlier volumes about how the mayor was an rear end in a top hat, but that last one just took is to an unprecedented level. It felt out of character and like a total tonal shift for the story.

Basically it read like BKV didn't know how to end the series so he just went for the nuclear option.

In other news I've been reading a ton to indie stuff lately as I try to overcome jet lag:

Chew volumes 1-10... The story is dumb and over the top violent but I like the vibrant and exagerated art, and the story itself is fun through most of the run. It gets kind of dark towards the end, reminds me of Invincible going into darker places. Both stories were always really violent and gory but emotionally pretty light, but then they went real dark emotionally too. Invincible turned around from that from what I understand (I stopped when the space adventure started), maybe Chew will too? I have no idea where the series is right now. I think this brough me to issue 55. A lot of comics.

I think the ending was always what he had in mind. I also think that a lot of character revelations were carefully set up throughout the series right from the beginning. A lot of what Vaughan seems to be trying to get across with the ending is that it's actually pretty difficult to accurately judge a person's character, that character can change depending on circumstances (with the suggestion that many of us who proudly pat ourselves on the back over how moral we are have simply never had our character tested), and that "real heroes are just a fiction we create".

Agreed on Chew though; it's pretty ridiculous but a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to seeing how it wraps up.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I maybe need to give Ex-Machina another chance and try to finish it, now that I did that with Y...but all the tired "grandpa talking politics" hot takes kind of wore me out in the early issues. BOY AINT MODERN ART RIDICULOUS???

I think one of Vaughan's chief flaws is a fairly shallow understanding of a lot of issues (political, social, art, gender). That said, I greatly appreciate how much his past decade's work has focused on the absurd tragedy of Iraq War II, and I also suspect that some of the naive politics in Ex Machina is deliberate.

Has anyone read Fuse? I thought the first issue was pretty good, but it looks like it's turning into a long series, so I'd like to know if it goes anywhere (or takes a sudden downturn in quality) before investing a lot of time and money in it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love Chew. It would have been a difficult read with a more realistic (DC/Marvel house style) artist, but Guillory's energetic, cartoony style keeps the book feeling light and comedic, even when they pile on the violence and gore and disgusting stuff. I find the whole thing very cleverly written, often veering into silly territory, but anchored by some real heart and surprisingly heavy emotional stakes. The whole thing feels like it could take place in a shared universe with Madman, The Tick, and The Venture Bros., but never loses its way into Adult Swim-style "wacky random" absurdity.

Discovering and binge-reading Chew and Savage Dragon have probably been my most enjoyable comic-reading experiences of the last year and a half or so.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've started checking out non-mainstream superhero comics more and more lately, and it's been a breath of fresh air even though I still like to read superhero comics.

I read through We Stand on Guard which I thought was incredibly lame, and then I read Chrononauts which I thought was a bunch of silly fun.

Now I've got a bunch of stuff lined up to read: Black Magick, Lazarus, Outcast, Black Science, Low, Tokyo Ghost, Saga, Chew, Manifest Destiny, Astro City, Deadly Class, The Wicked + The Divine, East of West, Preacher, The Sandman, Global Frequency, Daytripper, Irredeemable, and I Kill Giants. I already caught up on Southern Bastards, Sheriff of Babylon, and The Autmnlands and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

gus rules ok posted:

That said, I greatly appreciate how much his past decade's work has focused on the absurd tragedy of Iraq War II,
Wait, which works of his? I only knew about Pride of Baghdad.

I figure I'll just give up on Ex-Machina for now and start reading Paper Girls. I imagine that's a solid bet, I seem to remember people in this thread always having nothing but good things to say about it. Looks like BKV's stab at a 20th Century Boys type thing maybe?

Man, the more the taste lingers the more I wish Brubaker and Phillips would do more period pieces like The Fade Out. Not that I was left unsatisfied by it, I just really want more, it gripped me in a way their other contemporary setting series haven't really. I love James Ellroy and they managed to explore that setting without making it too derivative considering how much fiction you have set in 1940s-1950s LA.
I guess they're just doing Kill or Be Killed now, which seemed ehhh, okay. For some reason for me it kind of felt (well judging just off of one issue) like Wanted but without all the Mark Millar lameness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Wait, which works of his? I only knew about Pride of Baghdad.

I figure I'll just give up on Ex-Machina for now and start reading Paper Girls. I imagine that's a solid bet, I seem to remember people in this thread always having nothing but good things to say about it. Looks like BKV's stab at a 20th Century Boys type thing maybe?

Off the top of my head, Ex Machina, Pride of Baghdad, Saga, and We Stand on Guard to greater or lesser extents.