Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone done a collarbone yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Report: Russian boxer who won controversial match won't fight again in Rio

Lol whoops, the Russian guy who 'won' the other day is so jacked up he can't compete anymore. "Russian coaches indicated Nikitin’s “face is a mess".

A whole bunch of Russian bribe money gone with nothing to show for it I guess.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ryan lied to his mom because he was embarrassed about breaking something and peeing in the store
http://deadspin.com/report-ryan-lochte-and-his-rowdy-swimming-pals-defiant-1785452472

Shameful behavior for any 3 year old

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

WhyteRyce posted:

Ryan lied to his mom because he was embarrassed about breaking something and peeing in the store
http://deadspin.com/report-ryan-lochte-and-his-rowdy-swimming-pals-defiant-1785452472

"The Associated Press is reporting that Conger and Bentz have admitted to police that Lochte fabricated the story. The AP’s police source says that a security guard had a gun, but didn’t brandish it. From the report:"

Ryan is a class A douche for leaving his friends in Brazil.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I thought about posting this as a new thread but it doesn't really deserve one so I'll just ask it here:

Why is virtually every sport separated into Men's and Women's? I mean, it makes sense for the majority of events related to strength or speed, but what about table tennis? Shooting? Archery? Same goes for winter events...Bobsledding, Curling, hell even some of the snowboarding events could be co-ed since it's not a race or anything.

As far as I can tell Equestrianism is the only one that's currently co-ed. But is there any reason whatsoever to have both Men's Sailing and Women's Sailing??

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Cooties

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

timp posted:

I thought about posting this as a new thread but it doesn't really deserve one so I'll just ask it here:

Why is virtually every sport separated into Men's and Women's? I mean, it makes sense for the majority of events related to strength or speed, but what about table tennis? Shooting? Archery? Same goes for winter events...Bobsledding, Curling, hell even some of the snowboarding events could be co-ed since it's not a race or anything.

As far as I can tell Equestrianism is the only one that's currently co-ed. But is there any reason whatsoever to have both Men's Sailing and Women's Sailing??

There's mixed doubles tennis. I think badminton too.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Partial CCTV of the Lochte debacle:

https://twitter.com/rioproblemas_/status/766310467979456512

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

timp posted:

Strength and speed are factors and everything you've listed there with the exception of shooting I believe. This is not the social justice hill you want to die on considering you clearly don't understand most sports.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

CubanMissile posted:

Strength and speed are factors and everything you've listed there with the exception of shooting I believe. This is not the social justice hill you want to die on considering you clearly don't understand most sports.

Oh...........

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Besides. It's BOB sledding. Not EVE sledding.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Isn't there something physiological about women that make them better shooters?

I am sad, though, that I never got to see Michael Phelps and Katie Ledecky race. I'd love to know who would win that one. They'd swim so fast the water would light on fire.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Bean posted:

I am sad, though, that I never got to see Michael Phelps and Katie Ledecky race. I'd love to know who would win that one. They'd swim so fast the water would light on fire.

I can tell you with certainty who would win

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Saint Freak posted:

Report: Russian boxer who won controversial match won't fight again in Rio

Lol whoops, the Russian guy who 'won' the other day is so jacked up he can't compete anymore. "Russian coaches indicated Nikitin’s “face is a mess".

A whole bunch of Russian bribe money gone with nothing to show for it I guess.

Not nothing, he gets a bronze medal as a semi-finalist.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

timp posted:

Part of the reason people think ski jumping was not allowed too be done by women is that they might have a longer record distance than men, and that can't happen.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
https://www.theguardian.com/observer/osm/story/0,,543962,00.html

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bean posted:

We looked at their times for one of the 200m races, and it looked like Ledecky is faster.

Also Lochte is clearly being framed by a Brazilian government employee wearing an Anderson Cooper wig in these faked videos.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

he's probably regretting that stupid hair color now.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Kurtofan posted:

Not nothing, he gets a bronze medal as a semi-finalist.

Putin didn't shell out for a loving bronze so I hope he enjoys his time in the gulag.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WhyteRyce posted:

Somehow this story is even better than "Rio is a shithole where everyone gets robbed."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On the bright side, women also have the edge in living longer, being more resistant to disease, and better overall mental health

Just, cant really make mamy olympic sports out of those (let alone find the bribe money)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cravius posted:

I can tell you with certainty who would win

I've just compared her 400m freestyle to the men's finals, and she would have finished like 8 seconds after the last finalist. So, um, yeah.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Somehow this story is even better than "Rio is a shithole where everyone gets robbed."

Well yeah cause that's true regardless.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Earlier in the thread someone enlightened us by revealing that at least in shooting men and women used to compete together until women, y'know, got good and might've won a title or something so they needed to be given their own competition ASAP. These days everyone is mostly cool with it because it means more people, both men and women, get to compete in the Olympics, even if this time that is a pretty dubious honor to bestow upon someone.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
First three stories on the front of cnn.com on my phone are about Ryan. lmao

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Did anybody catch the story on NBC just now? They made it sound like Lochte et all got robbed after they pissed on the gas station.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Good job NBC for on-site reporting at the gas station in question catching a camera guy coming out of the bathroom zipping up his fly.

Still sounds like they paid the security guard to let them go since the police never responded.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Naxuz posted:

Earlier in the thread someone enlightened us by revealing that at least in shooting men and women used to compete together until women, y'know, got good and might've won a title or something so they needed to be given their own competition ASAP. These days everyone is mostly cool with it because it means more people, both men and women, get to compete in the Olympics, even if this time that is a pretty dubious honor to bestow upon someone.

"men don't compete with women in sports because they're scared of being beaten"
- salon.com

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It is unfair that transsexuals can not run in the Olympics.
I want to see wig extensions and stuffed bras flapping as they run goddamn it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

If there were a sport where women were better then it should be segregated for obvious reasons.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cthulu Carl posted:

There's mixed doubles tennis. I think badminton too.

There is a mixed sailing class or two also based on the schedule, although I didn't catch any of it.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

synchronized swimming is just plain dumb, it's like a holdout from the 50s or something

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Internaut! posted:

"men don't compete with women in sports because they're scared of being beaten"
- salon.com

Remember when a supposed world class soccer team got beat by some jr high boys?

and serena williams challenging that one male tennis player and after losing being all " holy poo poo I didn't think it'd be that HARD"

men don't compete with women so as to give women an actual chance.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

timp posted:

Why is virtually every sport separated into Men's and Women's? I mean, it makes sense for the majority of events related to strength or speed, but what about table tennis?

Table tennis? Men hit way harder than women. We're not talking about basement ping pong. High level men's table tennis players use their legs and hips to whip their relaxed arm as fast as possible. Longer arms generate more speed than short ones as well. The top chinese women's players could do well against many men as they are so good but still they might not crack the top 50 men.

CarlosTheDwarf fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 18, 2016

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

synchronized swimming is just plain dumb, it's like a holdout from the 50s or something

on that note modern pentathlon is the worst

it's only still there due to politics, shock

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

More tragedy, less d&d chat!

Rio Olympics 2016: Boxing chief moved from role after criticism

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37125939

The man in charge of the Olympic boxing tournament has been "reassigned" after criticism of judging decisions in Rio.

The International Boxing Association (Aiba) said its executive director Karim Bouzidi would be given "a new role within the organisation" and and another official put in charge.

Loving the clandestine use of inverted commas

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Just pulling a bow requires a great deal of upper body strength. It's incredibly difficult. Good bobsledding relies heavily on a very fast push start, women just can't run as fast. In snowboarding, women can't consistently catch the same air as the men which gives them less time to do spins and everything. For curling I imagine the faster you are able to push that broom thing means you can have more control over the stone. I don't know anything about sailing but I'd have to assume men would have an advantage cranking those sails into the wind.

Mixed sports just doesn't make any rational sense. I suppose you could force coed teams but I imagine both sides of the sport would suffer from it. I doubt USA women's gymnastics wants the men anywhere near their team.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Table tennis? Men hit way harder than women. We're not talking about basement ping pong. High level men's table tennis players use their legs and hips to whip their relaxed arm as fast as possible. Longer arms generate more speed than short ones as well. The top chinese women's players could do well against many men as they are so good but still they might not crack the top 50 men.

Didn't the Spanish team have a man in his 50's do considerably well? You telling me there's not one woman who could hit harder than that geezer?

I'm sure he's more skilled, being older, but to say that it's an unfair matchup from a strength standpoint, eh, I'm a bit incredulous on that one. He didn't even look like he was in excellent shape or anything.

e: here he is, he's 54

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He_Zhiwen

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, men have a whole lot more upper body muscle mass than women and this is a factor in almost every single sport. and even in sports that shouldn't have a difference (like chess lol), having women tournaments helps them start out at the same level of everyone else in sports that were previously only allowed to be played by men

apart from crazy people I don't see anyone complaining about male and female tournaments as some sort of "biologic inequality" which is totally not the point. people fight for equal rights, not biological equality, it would be the same as gay people fighting for the right of procreation from same sex and minorities to change their skin color.

the whole transgender thing might complicate things though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

So the US women's 4x100 relay team gets to run alone tonight as a do-over for another team's runner interfering with a US hand-off.

The runner that interfered? Brazilian. So Brazil is now disqualified.

I hope they practiced running while getting booed and maybe garbage thrown at them.

And apparently, they have to beat 42.70 seconds which will knock China out and the Chinese are just fine and dandy with tha-phhhhbbtt haha just kidding. They already filed a protest.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/18/12537698/rio-2016-us-womens-4x100-relay-empty-track-rerun

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 18, 2016

• Locked thread