Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Cthulu Carl posted:

- A novel about some kinda cross-country road trip for fried chicken.

This one is called "Chicken Trek," and it was my favorite book as a kid, probably because it was totally goddamn nuts. The plot is that a kid breaks an extremely expensive invention prototype made by his mad scientist uncle and has to pay him back, so he and his uncle team up to have the kid win a contest to be the first person to eat fried chicken at every location of a huge multinational chicken chain, whose stores are all shaped like giant chickens. The uncle has a pickle-shaped teleporting van, which helps with the travel time, but eventually it's more of a struggle against the kid's growing aversion to eating more fried chicken. I forget whether the kid actually won or just barely lost, but whatever prize level he won included a giant paper bag styled like the chicken chain's take-out bags, and he set it up in his room and would climb into the bag to sit when he needed solitude for thinking.

Children's literature is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Daniel Pinkwaters stuff is also really insane.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Acne Rain posted:

Journey to Terezor, I think.
I remember it had an interesting setting where aliens abduct entire towns and take them into trumen show domes on another planet.
The aliens are all dead and the Orbs rule in their place, and also they reprogram an orb to be on their side.
Also there's a plant that will turn you into any alien depending on what dirt is on its roots... that part was dumb

Maybe? The cover seems familiar but I swear it had a more futuristic setting. I also remember pyramids, but I could be imagining that. I may have to find a copy and attempt to read it to verify.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Antivehicular posted:

There have to be a couple fakeposts in this thread but damned if I can tell them apart from the real deal.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
the pyramids might be from a part where main character visits dome for another alien with a more primitive living situation

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Acne Rain posted:

the pyramids might be from a part where main character visits dome for another alien with a more primitive living situation

Could be. It was over 20 years ago when I read this, so there's no telling what plot details I've added over the years.

Here's another one. A kid (or kids?) use a clock or a watch or something and are time traveling. Something happens and he starts hopping backwards in time into his younger self but he still has his memories from when he was older and can't figure out how to get back to the present.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

This one is called "Chicken Trek," and it was my favorite book as a kid, probably because it was totally goddamn nuts. The plot is that a kid breaks an extremely expensive invention prototype made by his mad scientist uncle and has to pay him back, so he and his uncle team up to have the kid win a contest to be the first person to eat fried chicken at every location of a huge multinational chicken chain, whose stores are all shaped like giant chickens. The uncle has a pickle-shaped teleporting van, which helps with the travel time, but eventually it's more of a struggle against the kid's growing aversion to eating more fried chicken. I forget whether the kid actually won or just barely lost, but whatever prize level he won included a giant paper bag styled like the chicken chain's take-out bags, and he set it up in his room and would climb into the bag to sit when he needed solitude for thinking.

I can't imagine there being multiple "Fried Chicken Road trip" children's novels, and the cover art seems familiar to me, so I think this is the one.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I remember some dope af books about two brothers who travel to exotic and unexplored jungles to collect rare animals for their dad's zoo. There's usually some evil trappers or some other bad guys who get eaten by giant crocodiles or black mambas at the end. I forget what they were called.

Also one about a kid who gets given a hatchet for his birthday and then a plane he's flying on crashes on some remote island and he's the only survivor and has to learn to survive using his new axe until he's rescued. The only thing i really remember was that at one point he swims down to the sunken plane wreckage and finds the pilot's body all eaten away by fishes and it's pretty gnarly. iirc there was a sequel where the exact same thing happens to the same kid like a year later.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The second one it Hatchet by Jack London

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hatchet is by Gary Paulson and the sequel Brian's Winter wasn't the same thing happening again, it was Paulson saying "this book that I sold a bajillion copies of needs a sequel, so uh yeah what would have happened if he never found the plane's black box?" There's another sequel called The River that's about the character returning to the site of the crash as an adult as a kind of pilgrimage.

If you want weird Gary Paulson books though check out his sci-fi novel The Transall Saga.

Bruce Coville (My Teacher Is An Alien, Aliens Ate my Homework, Space Brat) is awesome because his book series always start with basic kid-level hijinks like "oh I saw our new teacher talking to his watch in a weird language and I'm pretty sure he's wearing a mask" to completely insane conclusions. In the My Teacher series, the main character who has been telling the story in the first person fuses mentally with his school bully and the girl that he liked, creating a single entity with three bodies - and it's implied they want to connect EVERYONE in that way. The Rod Albright (Aliens Ate My Homework) series ends with the main character stuck in the body of some blue dog thing. They always end up with weird body horror/weird science stuff and it's great.

I read this one lovely YA book once, it was called Tangerine I think and was all about how the main character was basically blind from staring at the sun and it ruined his whole life but it turns out he was actually blind because his shithole murderer older brother held him down and sprayed spray paint in his eyes.

I also recall one called The Wrecker, I think, about this guy who is sick of being bullied and teams up with this weird genius inventor kid to build "the wrecker", which will take care of the bully forever. They build and use the mysterious device and the bully's whole personality gets erased, like he turns into a placid animal. The kid that teamed up with the inventor ends up weirdly pissed that the bully didn't actually die IIRC.

There's also some books that I can remember the title but absolutely nothing else about them, like The Egypt Club and The View from Saturday.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ryoshi posted:

The Egypt Club

Oh gently caress, I think I read this one! Like a bunch of kids made up a backyard Egypt cult and they accidentally stumble across some criminals or something and can't do their Egypt stuff for a while because they have to lay low, but Egypt stuff is too important so they sneak out to do it anyhow and get caught by the criminals but somehow things work out ok

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows

DrowningInDreams posted:

I remember a book about mitochondria being angels or something and the sun was dying and something something old testament.

A Wind In The Door, by Madeline l'Engle. It was the sequel to A Wrinkle In Time. Then there was a third book,"A Swiftly Tilting Planet."

Cerebral Mayhem fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 17, 2016

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Wicker Man posted:

I could have sworn that Interstellar Pig went under a different name, because I strongly remember some kind of Z word being associated with it (only in the book itself?). I mostly remember the back cover showing a kind of unfinished tabletop game with the little glowing pig piece sitting there.

And that's got to be like the 4th Maniac Magee reference. Screw that kid, I wanna know more about old schlubs bringing down the antichrist while teaming up with blow job giving monkeys :argh:

They made a movie called Zathura that completely bit off of Interstellar Pig, I'm pretty sure that's what you're remembering.

Cthulu Carl posted:

- Something called 'Space Cadets' that was a series about cadets in a space academy getting into "wacky" space hi-jinks.

Lol, I had a few of those when I was a kid. I got them from one of those subscription YA dealies where they send you a few books every month. They also sent some other pretty drat good ones...I remember some updated Tom Swift books where he makes a flying surfboard but then an old enemy of his dad completely takes over his science compound, and one where he punches a hole in the space time continuum and his evil twin from another universe comes through and fucks his life up. There was also another book I vaguely remember getting one month called Turbo Cowboys about this post apocalyptic world where the government is completely fascist and keeps orphans locked in some sort of concentration camp out in the desert. Some total dude bro best friends 4 lyfe escape after stealing some apples and meet up with this old desert hermit that gives them beans and cactus beer. They find these old rear end dirt bikes and siphon some gas out of an old wrecked tanker and just kind of blast around in the desert until the fascist dudes start looking for them. I don't really remember what happens but I know they trick the fascists guys into wrecking this Mad Max style modified half-track by stunting all around it on their bikes and setting it on fire or something. Then they steal the gas out of the half-track. gently caress I don't know.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I think there were at least two stories in this book but the two I remember made it obvious that the author masturbated to the ideal of Texas.

The first story was about some kind of settlers? Or something in space and they used their space ships to drive around in space submarines and harpoon giant worm dragons and store their fat in warehouses. A lot of emphasis on these space settlers being hardy badasses harvesting these worms.

I'm pretty sure also in the book was a story about a texas space ambassador that saved the day with his quick draw ability. There may have been a space barbecue and space dog people but the main point of the story was that the guy used a fake future holster to get the edge on everyone else trying to outdraw him. He also won favor? with the delegates for being able to draw his guns so fast?

I'm pretty sure they were in the same book because I was always confused if the space whalers were related to space texas.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

garfield hentai posted:

Couple horror books I remember reading when I was little, not Goosebumps or anything

One of them had a house that was haunted or otherwise spooky for some reason, and one of the key revelations was when the protagonist was in the attic and realized it didn't have a window despite there being an attic window visible from outside the house so there must be a second secret extra scary attic. Maybe this second attic had a ghost or a corpse or something I forget

The other one I remember that I think is from the same series had a guy/ghost that the protagonist saw through a sliding glass window, he lifted his hat or turned towards him or something to reveal empty eye sockets while moaning THEY TOOK MY EEEEYYYYYEEEEESSSSSS

I thought of these books while watching Stranger Things because I (mis?)remember the title font being the same

Okay this was bugging me a lot so I just looked it up and found the eyes one was The Eyes of the Killer Robot by John Bellairs

What I remembered: The eyeless guy going around moaning "THEY TOOK MY EYES"
What I did not remember: The reason his eyes were gone was they were used to power a magic robot that played baseball

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cerebral Mayhem posted:

A Wind In The Door, by Madeline l'Engle. It was the sequel to A Wrinkle In Time. Then there was a third book,"A Swiftly Tilting Planet."

There's more than that, there's Many Waters when the twins go back to hang out with Enoch and Noah in the Old Testament and get hella sunburnt, and I think one about the daughter of the protagonist of A Wrinkle In Time that gets born during A Swiftly Tilting Planet.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Oh gently caress, I think I read this one! Like a bunch of kids made up a backyard Egypt cult and they accidentally stumble across some criminals or something and can't do their Egypt stuff for a while because they have to lay low, but Egypt stuff is too important so they sneak out to do it anyhow and get caught by the criminals but somehow things work out ok

Something like this, yeah. I want to say that there was a spooky old man in the apartments above the club that they thought was some kind of a creeper or something and he ends up being the one who saves everyone.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I remember there being actually a large number of Doctor Doolittle books, including ones where he's abducted by a giant moths and goes to the moon and becomes slightly mutated

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

blk96gt posted:

Could be. It was over 20 years ago when I read this, so there's no telling what plot details I've added over the years.

Here's another one. A kid (or kids?) use a clock or a watch or something and are time traveling. Something happens and he starts hopping backwards in time into his younger self but he still has his memories from when he was older and can't figure out how to get back to the present.

I'm pretty sure the second one is a goosebumps one called Clock of Doom, there's an antiue clock and if the cuckoo head is turned backwards what you said starts happening. If I remember right, he quickly realises that despite his knowledge of the future he can't actually change events like breaking his arm and so on, and he eventually turns into a baby as he realises he's not got long left until he just ceases to exist. He eventually fixes the problem, but knocks the year 1988 off the clock when he does so, when he returns to the present, his bratty younger sister was never born, and he just leaves her to her oblivion.

I didn't read very many YA books overall, I skipped straight from dumb kids books to dumb fantasy novels for adults. Aside from the ones I've mentioned and Goosebumps, the only series I remember reading religiously at the time was a YA series called Broken Sky that was some dude writing an anime/Final Fantasy inspired book. The main male character had a sword and magic stones in his spine that let him do kamehamehas, the plot was a good rebellion verses a white haired androgynous evil emperor. It was, thinking back on it, very cliche. The main guy falls in love with the daughter of the emperor, there is a "wise beyond her years" little girl, the main girl gets amnesia when working as a slave in some evil badguy mine. But the books were filled with poo poo like wyvern-rider cavalry, interdimensional travel, assassins that can warp through mirrors. evil hive mind spider-people and the last book had a device that summoned kaiju. It probably wouldn't hold up, but I have very fond memories of those books.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I think I read most of the sci-fi and fantasy books in my tiny school library. I remember there being a lot of weird sex stuff in all the fantasy books.

Anyway, there was one space book where a family was cryogenically frozen and going to settle a new planet. Some sort of malfunction caused the youngest boy to wake up early and he was dicking around on the spaceship alone for 70 years and is now an old man. I want to say he befriended a robot and road around on a tricycle? The family wakes up a and I guess they reach their destination at some point. There may or may not be bug aliens involved.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Hopefully someone can identify this book for me I read as a kid.

A collection of European(?) folk tales, I only remember two stories:

- An old hag catches a bear in a bear trap but he gnaws off his arm and escapes. The hag makes stew out of the arm but the bear comes back and kills her.

-Two princes fight a super strong lizard knight to save a maiden. The lizard man bashes one guys head in and throws him into a pit.

I remember it was beautifully illustrated as well..

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Bananaquiter posted:

I think I read most of the sci-fi and fantasy books in my tiny school library. I remember there being a lot of weird sex stuff in all the fantasy books.

Anyway, there was one space book where a family was cryogenically frozen and going to settle a new planet. Some sort of malfunction caused the youngest boy to wake up early and he was dicking around on the spaceship alone for 70 years and is now an old man. I want to say he befriended a robot and road around on a tricycle? The family wakes up a and I guess they reach their destination at some point. There may or may not be bug aliens involved.

That is a short story titled The Days Between that became part of Allen Steele's Coyote series if you ever want to revisit it. It's actually a great set of short stories/novellas.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man
There was this book about some park ranger who was trying to investigate a fire. He met a 14 year old kid with a weird tent that ended up being fireproof and able to survive a blaze.

That book taught me the words cocksucker and prick when I was in like 4th grade.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Ryoshi posted:

The Egypt Club

I remember this one. I won some writing contest in fourth or fifth grade and got to meet the author. Nice lady.

Another one I can't remember the name of was kind of like Cube, but instead of a series of cubes it was a series of Escher style staircases that would go on for ages. At one point they met some obscenely fat girl that got stuck in there with them, but all she did was hang out next to this glowing sphere and repeatedly stick her tongue out at it. Every time she stuck her tongue out it would give her some kind of salty pork-like product. They kept trying to convince her to help them escape, but she just wanted to sit on her rear end eating slim-jims. If anyone know what the holy hell this book is please let me know.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it. It's called, fittingly enough, House of Stairs.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 18, 2016

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
The Stainless Steel Rat series. I really liked them as a kid, it's like a comedy spaceship version of James Bond.

He went on fun adventures and made me laugh :)

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
My mom and I used to read The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks books together. I don't remember much about the books themselves, but I do feel like they were pretty fun and nonsensical. :3:

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Cheese Pain posted:

My mom and I used to read The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks books together. I don't remember much about the books themselves, but I do feel like they were pretty fun and nonsensical. :3:

Is that the one where two bros have two plants and one feeds it good poo poo and the other gives it junk food so good poo poo plant is normal but fatplant evolves into like a venus fly trap that eats horrible poo poo?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've got two series I kind of remember. I think they were popular for their time?

The first was some sort of post-apocalyptic fantasy thing that I think actually took place in Australia, or maybe just the author was Australian? Anyway, everyone lived in a big castle and I think there was some weird sort of colour (not skin colour, mind) based caste system going around, and I think everyone had magic, talking shadows or something. Sooort of like The Golden Compass but it wasn't that. I think the main kid got banished into the wasteland and returned at the end of the series as part of some sort of revolt. One specific detail that I remember is that they played some sort of chess-like with magically animated or holographic pieces.

The other one was by some relatively famous author. I only read one of the books, though. There was an evil lord of the kingdom and the main dude was part of some rebellion (again) group and the bad dude had these bigass flying monsters he used to keep the fear in them but one of said beasties got injured and he nursed it back to health. It may or may not have died tragically at the end of the story and the MC may or may not have been the original prince of the land.

Any clues?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Mordja posted:

I've got two series I kind of remember. I think they were popular for their time?

The first was some sort of post-apocalyptic fantasy thing that I think actually took place in Australia, or maybe just the author was Australian? Anyway, everyone lived in a big castle and I think there was some weird sort of colour (not skin colour, mind) based caste system going around, and I think everyone had magic, talking shadows or something. Sooort of like The Golden Compass but it wasn't that. I think the main kid got banished into the wasteland and returned at the end of the series as part of some sort of revolt. One specific detail that I remember is that they played some sort of chess-like with magically animated or holographic pieces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seventh_TowerThe Seventh Tower by Garth Nix

It had a lot of poo poo going on, there were shadow pokemon creatures and coloured towers and an infinite wasteland with barbarians and an alternate reality with monsters

he also released six of them in two years.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
poo poo, that was fast. The wiki says Lucasfilm was involved so I'm kinda surprised they weren't made into a film franchise.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

Claven666 posted:

Is that the one where two bros have two plants and one feeds it good poo poo and the other gives it junk food so good poo poo plant is normal but fatplant evolves into like a venus fly trap that eats horrible poo poo?

I don't think that happened, I just recall the one plant only ate dirty socks and the other plant only ate clean socks because it was owned by a neat freak kid. I don't remember the dirty sock one mutating, but it's been years, so who knows?

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is the one about a group of siblings who are like , on a road trip or somethjng and their parents are maybe dead or something and the older sister takes care of them and one of them is like a toddler???????

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Cheese Pain posted:

I don't think that happened, I just recall the one plant only ate dirty socks and the other plant only ate clean socks because it was owned by a neat freak kid. I don't remember the dirty sock one mutating, but it's been years, so who knows?

Yeah, my memories of this story are lost to time but I vividly remember the slob brother shoving junk food into the plant soil and poo poo. I just looked on amazon and I definitely remember that cover.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
I remember reading this boring thing when I was in Jr High:

Post apocalyptic story, some anti-war chick hears about someone finding a still working submarine (I think it had nukes), and raising a small army.

Chick gets a bunch of people together to go protest the submarine.

EDIT: never mind my stupid brain suddenly remembers it was "Doomsday Plus Twelve," a title that obviously took the author an entire smoke break to come up with.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2335052.Doomsday_Plus_Twelve

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 18, 2016

library cat
Feb 12, 2016

canpakes posted:

What is the one about a group of siblings who are like , on a road trip or somethjng and their parents are maybe dead or something and the older sister takes care of them and one of them is like a toddler???????

Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Around 4th grade I read some book set in the US in like the early or mid 1800's or something. I think the premise involved some teenage kid being sent to a new homestead or property or something in order to fix or build a cabin, ahead of the rest of the family arriving like a year later or something. Since I guess that's a thing that makes perfect sense in the 1800's or whatever. I think the kid was alone, maybe had a dog. I distinctly remember the character got really excited over the idea of installing greased paper windows in the cabin.

What was this loving book.

Did he befriend an Indian boy? Sounds like Sign of the Beaver.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
The harrowing tale of a trailer park supervisor trying to overcome his alcohol addiction, with the help of a bisexual sidekick.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I had some book which was less of a novel and more of a (fictional) journal/diary complete with doodles and poo poo, of some bratty kid in a comically awful school, complete with sadistic teachers and rear end in a top hat classmates. Never have been able to remember any names and the "bratty kid at terrible school" trope is so common I've never been able to find it again.

I also once borrowed a poo poo book called Bananagram about someone writing a message on a banana.

library cat
Feb 12, 2016

DrowningInDreams posted:

I remember a book with a guy who received radio transmissions on his tooth, and an evil alien that died from eating too many red pepper flakes.

I think this one is Fat Men from Space by Daniel Pinkwater?

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Cowboy Pope posted:

There was this book called The Eyes of Kid Midas that was about some dumbass kid that kept getting relentlessly pranked on by some much stronger boy. On a camping trip or something he was apparently taking with his aggressor, he comes upon a pair of sunglasses sitting in a beam of light on a plateau like a burning bush. He throws them shits on like any desperately uncool teen, and soon realized his new hater blockers have properties. He makes wishes, and they are granted, and everything goes real great until it gets to the point where everything he thinks immediately comes true and he glasses fuse themselves to his face. He tries to cut them off with hedge clippers to no avail, they are a part of him. The book climaxes with him laying in a bathtub full of freezing water in an attempt to deprive the glasses of the energy they need to tear the world apart based on the whims of his adolescent brain while they're just ruining everything. I do not remember what happened after that. Kind of a weird book for kids.
I read this once or twice as a kid. I remember that he accidentally made 1+1=3 at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

liquorlanche posted:

The harrowing tale of a trailer park supervisor trying to overcome his alcohol addiction, with the help of a bisexual sidekick.

Was it Mojo? That sounds an awful lot like what I described. Were they martial arts enthusiasts?

• Locked thread