Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

He's right.

Wanted to see because if it's a single hairline crack with no point of impact and no damage to the clamshell it's covered. Something impacted it. Sorry dude. It's damage done from something.

Well, drat.

So is this something I can conceivably fix myself, or am I going to have to shell out the $600? I'm guessing I'd have to replace the whole display(like I can't just replace replace the cracked screen, I have to replace everything), so I'd have to buy something like like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

idontcare posted:

Well, drat.

So is this something I can conceivably fix myself, or am I going to have to shell out the $600? I'm guessing I'd have to replace the whole display(like I can't just replace replace the cracked screen, I have to replace everything), so I'd have to buy something like like this?

See if ifixit has a guide. Or there are places you can send it in to be fixed for $300 - just google MacBook screen repair

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Hey y'all, my 2009 Mac Pro has been acting up and I'm wondering what it might be. Quick specs: 16 gig, SSD drive, 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon. ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB.

Been having issues booting/sometimes locks down/takes a while to boot up.

Zapped the PRAM/disk util/etc. Doesn't matter. Can only get a boot screen after 10 minutes.

Someone on some other internet forums that the video card could be dying?

The ram is a couple of years old, but not as old as the system.

Would rather buy a video card than a new system on my current budget.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

See if you can borrow / buy a known working card, take out the 4870, try the new card.

Some suggestions:

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/661-5008...ay-p-40636.html

Not the fastest but it can drive two 30" Apple Cinema Displays at once, $129.00

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/661-5718-Apple-Video-Card-ATI-Radeon-HD-5770-1GB-Graphics-Upgrade-Kit-for-Mac-Pro-2008--2012-p-37969.html

The standard video card for MP 2010's and later, will work just fine in yours, $199.00

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My 13" rMBP takes about and extra 30 seconds to boot if I had it connected to my TV with HDMI, like its timing out looking for the monitor or something. Anyone else have something like that happen?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
So how do Blu Rays and plain old DVDs look on the current MacBook Pro 15"?

Seriously thinking about getting one but I'm a little worried that the 2880 X 1800 resolution will make all my movies look like crap.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Scent of Worf posted:

So how do Blu Rays and plain old DVDs look on the current MacBook Pro 15"?

Seriously thinking about getting one but I'm a little worried that the 2880 X 1800 resolution will make all my movies look like crap.

They look great.

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones
Just as a heads up for those who have a newer airport or time capsule, there's a weird bug with Back to my Mac, that's causing a crash in bonjour leaving them unable to be accessed by airport utility.

You can access the devices via IP and airport utility still.

The problem though is that if you have a time capsule, your backups will start failing, but the devices will still route.

The fix is if you have back to my Mac enabled, if you disable (by removing the accounts via airport utility.)

This bit me over the weekend, and was a little annoying as I had thought my time capsule had started to die.

https://www.macintouch.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=471 has some more information.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I know it is a long shot, but if apple puts the new Nvidia 10x0m chips in the new iMacs I will have to look at upgrading mine. I have a first gen 5k and its still good, but could use some more gpu power.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lol like Apple is going to give enough of a gently caress about mobile graphics to make them thick enough and run hot enough for that.

Edit: never mind mid read you as talking about rMBPs. Yeah they would be rad in an iMac.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol like Apple is going to give enough of a gently caress about mobile graphics to make them thick enough and run hot enough for that.

Edit: never mind mid read you as talking about rMBPs. Yeah they would be rad in an iMac.

I thought they were putting mobile GPUs in the iMacs these days.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MrChupon posted:

They are, but with the newest chipsets nVidia is killing the mobile/desktop distinction. The main difference is going to be that the laptop chips are a bit underclocked, but not by huge amounts.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MrChupon posted:

It's all moot because every indication seems to be that Apple is going to continue with exclusively AMD GPUs in this year's refresh. They've even removed the GTX 750 from the 15" rMBP to be replaced with some AMD mobile SKU.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Twerk from Home posted:

It's all moot because every indication seems to be that Apple is going to continue with exclusively AMD GPUs in this year's refresh. They've even removed the GTX 750 from the 15" rMBP to be replaced with some AMD mobile SKU.

They've used a mobile Radeon in the rMBP since the 2015 models, so the change isn't new, and they could easily go back. They probably aren't since Polaris support is in Sierra, but you never know (especially with nVidia hiring OS X driver developers).

eames
May 9, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

They are also upset with Intel for their Skylake/Kaby Lake delays, so why not go all in and put Zen-APU in all mobile Macs.
Now that would get iPad Pro sales going. :stonklol:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple removes 'store' from the name of its retail outlets.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/08/18/apple-drops-store-branding/

So apparently we're taking machines to the Fruit, not the Fruit Stand.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

probably to make room for all those new MacBooks :smithicide:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Binary Badger posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/08/18/apple-drops-store-branding/

So apparently we're taking machines to the Fruit, not the Fruit Stand.

It fits in with their infuriating branding regarding products (talking about iPod as opposed to talking about the iPod). Not much of a difference in regular use imo; just as easy to say "take it in to Apple" vs "take it in to the Apple Store."

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Still easier to say "phone fruit".

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Quick RAM compatibility question: I've got a Mac Pro 5,1 (2x2.4GHz quad-core Xeon) that's got 1066MHz RAM in it. I'm planning on upgrading the CPUs to a pair of 3.46GHz X5690s and I'm wondering if I can also throw in some 1333MHz RAM. Is this possible and worthwhile, or will the RAM be throttled back down to 1066MHz?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Quick RAM compatibility question: I've got a Mac Pro 5,1 (2x2.4GHz quad-core Xeon) that's got 1066MHz RAM in it. I'm planning on upgrading the CPUs to a pair of 3.46GHz X5690s and I'm wondering if I can also throw in some 1333MHz RAM. Is this possible and worthwhile, or will the RAM be throttled back down to 1066MHz?

Are you sure that You don't have PC10666 RAM which is 1333mhz, not 1066mhz ram?
Edit I understand the lower end 5,1's came with 1066mhz ram (pc3-8500)
If you mix ram it will all clock down to the slowest speed

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 19, 2016

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Bob Morales posted:

Are you sure that You don't have PC10666 RAM which is 1333mhz, not 1066mhz ram?
Edit I understand the lower end 5,1's came with 1066mhz ram (pc3-8500)
If you mix ram it will all clock down to the slowest speed

System Report says I've got eight 4GB DDR3 ECC 1066MHz cards.

EDIT: I want to replace it all with 1333MHz, not mix n' match it with the old cards. Will the tower be able to make use of the higher speed RAM or should I just stick with 1066?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 19, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's processor dependent, according to this note from Apple. If you only have a single processor installed then top RAM speed is 1066, if you have a dual processor unit then it's 1333.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

It's processor dependent, according to this note from Apple. If you only have a single processor installed then top RAM speed is 1066, if you have a dual processor unit then it's 1333.

Even single-processor systems can have 1333 if the processor supports it: I put an X5690 in my (firmware flashed) 4.1 and put in 3x 8 GB 1333 and it recognized it as operating at 1333.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SourKraut posted:

I put an X5690 in my (firmware flashed) 4.1 and put in 3x 8 GB 1333 and it recognized it as operating at 1333.

This is what I was going to do with my 5,1 - install a pair of X5690s - so it should work just the same then and I should spring for the faster RAM?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, it should. I should have added that I specifically bought 1333 RAM from OWC - there was cheap 1333 server ram on eBay, but I've heard that if the RAM doesn't have a compliant thermal sensor, the Mac Pro's front fan at least will always run at 100%. Seemed worth it to confirm the RAM was compliant, and I haven't had any issues with it.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Can anyone tell me how smooth the workflow for 1080p video editing with stabilising and light color grading (Film Convert) in FCPX would be on a 13" rMBP?

Every now and then I'm recording classical musicians for YouTube and I'm currently using an ancient copy of Premiere CS5 on a 5-year old desktop PC with an i5-2500k. Editing is reasonably smooth but rendering is a tad slow (just did a 9min h.264 1080p video that took 45 min to export). I will be travelling much more in the future and need something that does the job on the go without being too expensive and it seems that a rMBP + Final Cut is much more efficient for my needs and I would struggle getting similar performance/portability out of a Windows laptop with Premiere, plus FCPX doesn't need a monthly subscription. My audio recording software comes with a Mac license, too, and my CS5 is way too old, so there's no problem for me to switch to another OS. I'm also able to wait for the new rMBPs later this year, so it's not super urgent.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'd really consider a 15" for an video editing work. It's well worth the extra money. I was using FCPX for a while on a 13" and the lack of screen space is a real pain. I have a 15" rMBP (late 2013 model) now and it's like night and day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

This is what I was going to do with my 5,1 - install a pair of X5690s - so it should work just the same then and I should spring for the faster RAM?
Edit: I can't read

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'd really consider a 15" for an video editing work. It's well worth the extra money. I was using FCPX for a while on a 13" and the lack of screen space is a real pain. I have a 15" rMBP (late 2013 model) now and it's like night and day.

Hm, I was afraid of that. The 15" rMBPs are just sooo ridiculously expensive here in Germany. :negative: 2200€ for a laptop is a pretty serious commitment. Also I worry a bit if the 15" models fit on a standard train folding table, which would be great. :ohdear:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

As someone's who's been doing video work between a 13" and a 15" for the last six years I'd REALLLLY recommend at least trying to borrow one and seeing how you feel about the 13". Reminds me of the time my GF was gonna buy an iPad mini for film work. I was convinced she'd need a full size one. I had a Mini2 in work so I gave it to her for a bit and she hated it.
You don't have to buy one straight away is what in saying, maybe a friend could let you use one for a while?

e: biggest pain in the rear end on the 13" is scrolling between your timeline and your source monitor. Every time you shrink your video down to a postage-stamp size screen you'll die inside.

e2: one of the dudes I used to work with years ago used to do editing work on his 17" MBP, that thing was loving glorious. RIP 17" :negative:

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 19, 2016

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Honj Steak posted:

Can anyone tell me how smooth the workflow for 1080p video editing with stabilising and light color grading (Film Convert) in FCPX would be on a 13" rMBP?

Every now and then I'm recording classical musicians for YouTube and I'm currently using an ancient copy of Premiere CS5 on a 5-year old desktop PC with an i5-2500k. Editing is reasonably smooth but rendering is a tad slow (just did a 9min h.264 1080p video that took 45 min to export). I will be travelling much more in the future and need something that does the job on the go without being too expensive and it seems that a rMBP + Final Cut is much more efficient for my needs and I would struggle getting similar performance/portability out of a Windows laptop with Premiere, plus FCPX doesn't need a monthly subscription. My audio recording software comes with a Mac license, too, and my CS5 is way too old, so there's no problem for me to switch to another OS. I'm also able to wait for the new rMBPs later this year, so it's not super urgent.

I'm not a video editor but your quad core desktop CPU is going to have much more raw power than any crummy dual core low voltage part.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

~Coxy posted:

I'm not a video editor but your quad core desktop CPU is going to have much more raw power than any crummy dual core low voltage part.

Plus you get a GPU in the 15"

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I was hoping that the higher efficiency of FCPX compared to my old-rear end Premiere would make up for that difference, especially seeing that people on YouTube seem to be able to edit 4k in FCPX even on a 12" rMB reasonably smoothly. But yeah I really need to try it out anyway before I buy one. :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Does the 2 week return policy not apply to computers?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

Does the 2 week return policy not apply to computers?

It applies to everything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Having the GPU on the 15" is a really good point actually. Rendering is so much faster.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

For what it's worth I've used 15" MPBs on trains in Germany before. It's not exactly spacious, but you can do it and it's not uncomfortable or anything. You're a tad more limited if you're on of the people who wants your hinge at a super oblique angle while using your laptop, but if you're OK with just a tad over 90 it's no big deal.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
^^^^^ thanks, that's valuable knowledge :)

Doesn't the dedicated GPU come only with the higher-specced 15" rMBPs? That would be almost twice the price of a 13" rMBP :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Honj Steak posted:

^^^^^ thanks, that's valuable knowledge :)

Doesn't the dedicated GPU come only with the higher-specced 15" rMBPs? That would be almost twice the price of a 13" rMBP :ohdear:

True, but the $1299 13" model is a dual-core, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD machine with Integrated graphics
The $1999 15" model is a quad core, 16GB, 256GB SSD machine with slightly better integrated
The $2499 15" model is a quad core, 16GB, 512GB SSD machine with a GPU

Buy the $2499 model as a refurb IMO