Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
It's funny to read that strip in retrospect, because it implies that pre-genocidaire V has more emotional maturity than someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Taciturn Tactician posted:

And that doesn't apply to Thunt? Doesn't that "cheats fate" or whatever donation drive thing earn him literally thousands of dollars?

DolphinCop posted:

well he also earns literally a thousand dollars every time the comic updates, going by his patreon subscription rate

With his update schedule he still probably makes less than $15k a year.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, Thunt may be doing relatively decently or whatever, but he's Rich's creative peer and arguably competitor. In almost all cases, it looks tacky when people call out their direct peers/competitors in the field, especially when you're in a business that's largely dependent on fan goodwill, like webcomics.

Harry Potter, meanwhile, is so huge that satirising it is like satirising Sherlock Holmes, or Alvin and the Chipmunks. No matter how cruel your jape, you are only playing on the steps of a titanic cultural monolith.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Harry Potter is absolutely punching up. If JK Rowlings gets her feelings hurt she can wipe the tears away with hundred dollar bills.

If JK rowling gets her feeling her she will write you as the most hated character in the world's most book series. Or make sure that book is difficult to pronounce with your lisp, so you look silly doing the audio book.

JK rowling is definitely not someone to gently caress with.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shwqa posted:

If JK rowling gets her feeling her she will write you as the most hated character in the world's most book series. Or make sure that book is difficult to pronounce with your lisp, so you look silly doing the audio book.

JK rowling is definitely not someone to gently caress with.

The story of Stephen Fry and the audiobooks is hilarious:

quote:

Saw Stephen Fry live last week, and he told us this story: Just after the first Harry Potter book had been released, he was offered the role of narrating it for audiobooks. He hadn’t read it, and was simply told it was a children’s book, so figured it would be an easy afternoons work. When he met JK Rowling, she mentioned that she was writing a sequel. Stephen replied very condescendingly “good for you”.

A few years down the line, the books are selling well, and he is doing the recording for the Prisoner of Azkaban, when he runs into the phrase “Harry pocketed it”. Stephen could not say this line. It always came out as “Harry pocketeded it”, unless he said it ridiculously slowly. They tried time and time again to get it right, but to no avail. Eventually, he called up JK and asked if he could say “Harry put it in his pocket” instead. She thought for a moment then said “no”, and hung up.

The phrase “Harry pocketed it” appeared in the next four books.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I can't wait to see how Witch Burlew and his Indestructible Thumb show up in Harry Potter and the Whatchamacallit of Whodathunk.

(edit) Not saying that Burlew's jab at Harry Potter is mean-spirited, Harry is tough, he can take it.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 17, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hahahaha. I love her, it's certainly petty and I usually feel like authors should always try to hold themselves to a higher standard but I can get behind that.

I believe she also wrote one of the Slytherin girls to be horrible and unmarried because she's based off of someone she hated back in highschool and she didn't want her to be happy. Stone cold.

quote:

I can't wait to see how Witch Burlew and his Indestructible Thumb show up in Harry Potter and the Whatchamacallit of Whodathunk.

I think what he did falls in line as literary criticism and if he's actually read the books despite that it probably isn't mean spirited unless he's made a post somewhere where he affirms it. Regardless I'm glad he's not taken potshots at other webcomic artists. Randall always struck me as particularly classy and good natured.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, the jab against HP is not that surprising. There is a lot of backlash from fantasy fans who weren't teen during the books release and while some it is probably just hype backlash, there is also some pretty valid criticism.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Harry Potter was a fun series that I got a lot of enjoyment out of but nobody should pretend it doesn't deserve all the poo poo it gets.

Hell; people make fun of Lord of the Rings for having plotholes and that is a considerably better story all things considered.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It depends entirely on what you're looking for in a narrative, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter are so far removed from each other they aren't really comparable.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
One of the most disappointing things is growing up in the none-anglophone world and eventually finding out that Harry Potter is in large parts not magical, but just very, very British. It also explains a poo poo lot of stuff I couldn't wrap my head around.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just think it's pretty funny that he knocks "Whatever occurrence or random even is happening in the area always relates to me, personally" after the sheer number of times someone's family member has gotten conveniently caught up in the plot in OotS.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

e X posted:

One of the most disappointing things is growing up in the none-anglophone world and eventually finding out that Harry Potter is in large parts not magical, but just very, very British. It also explains a poo poo lot of stuff I couldn't wrap my head around.

I'm curious as I'm Anglo-Canadian and wonder what I'm missing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The division of schools into competing "houses", perhaps?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

I just think it's pretty funny that he knocks "Whatever occurrence or random even is happening in the area always relates to me, personally" after the sheer number of times someone's family member has gotten conveniently caught up in the plot in OotS.

Oh god you just reminded me of slogging through all of Elan's family and their issues

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Totally. I figured the idea of different houses who compete which each other for points to win a house cup was an entire magical idea to me. But essentially everything. Everything I thought of as Rowling inventing something whimsical and weird was mostly just British stuff.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

e X posted:

Totally. I figured the idea of different houses who compete which each other for points to win a house cup was an entire magical idea to me. But essentially everything. Everything I thought of as Rowling inventing something whimsical and weird was mostly just British stuff.

I loving hate Harry Potter because any positive portrayal of the utter hell of bullying and elitism that is British private school can go gently caress itself.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

e X posted:

So there really are trees that punch you, house elves, mismanaged government agencies that try to hide awful crimes against humanity, and giant spiders in Britain?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Calaveron posted:

So there really are trees that punch you, house elves, mismanaged government agencies that try to hide awful crimes against humanity, and giant spiders in Britain?

Three out of four.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ZearothK posted:

Three out of four.

Yes, the spiders on the British isles are all reasonably small.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I loving hate Harry Potter because any positive portrayal of the utter hell of bullying and elitism that is British private school can go gently caress itself.

I'm not sure why you consider it a positive portrayal when half the books are dedicated to "Hey, maybe it's kind of lovely things are set up this way" and multiple major characters say it is wrong and the latest book explicitly is about how someone is unfairly bullied for being in the wrong house.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure why you consider it a positive portrayal when half the books are dedicated to "Hey, maybe it's kind of lovely things are set up this way" and multiple major characters say it is wrong and the latest book explicitly is about how someone is unfairly bullied for being in the wrong house.

Probably because I quit reading the series early on.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Probably because I quit reading the series early on.
I, too, loving hate things I can't be bothered to read or finish.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

FMguru posted:

To be fair, it's a bigass series of books. "The early books were shite" is a pretty good reason not to read them all, and it doesn't necessarily discredit criticism.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I much prefer the earlier books to the later ones.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

e X posted:

It's less British and more English, mostly.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

FMguru posted:

That's the same thing a dude told me when I said I wasn't interested in reading the My Little Pony/Fallout crossover series. I've since stopped using that argument.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

New one!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Helium from the Elemental Plane of Air, in the comic that has established the existence of Chlorine Elementals and the like? You disappoint me, Burlew.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lord help me but I giggled at "falling rocs"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This ship isn't really magical, it's just magically light, magically strong, and magically conjures its fuel.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If you built a car with a mythril body, adamantine hubcaps, and a glassteel windshield, and used minor creation to make vegetable oil for it to run on, but still had a typical internal combustion engine, is it a magic car?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Wanderer posted:

If you built a car with a mythril body, adamantine hubcaps, and a glassteel windshield, and used minor creation to make vegetable oil for it to run on, but still had a typical internal combustion engine, is it a magic car?

Yes because it's made of magic materials.

This was a pretty lame page (besides falling rocs).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

No, nothing you described was magic other than the creation of the vegetable oil, which is functionally no different than non-magically created vegetable oil.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Wanderer posted:

Only if Phil Smeeton is behind the wheel

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
From a game mechanics standpoint, if it functions in an antimagic field, its not magical.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

greatn posted:

This ship isn't really magical, it's just magically light, magically strong, and magically conjures its fuel.

Roy's a good guy but also the worst sort of "Well, ACTUALLY" kind of guy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RandallODim posted:

Yes because it's made of magic materials.

This was a pretty lame page (besides falling rocs).

I lold

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

greatn posted:

This fighter isn't a wizard, he's just magically strong, magically fast, magically tough, and magically talented with his magical weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume the difference is that it functions under logical rules and if you count find another power source it would continue functioning under those rules where as a magic ship is held together by wishful thinking. Y'know, like Roy said.