Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
How happy are you with YY because if you provide a range it's more likely to be close to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

I should have clarified that they have already offered above the minimum of the range - if they go backwards then it's an easy no. I understand from the thread that naming a salary range first results in the company offering at the minimum every time; however in this case they have already offered and I stated the range as a result of research to support my counter-offer.

Thinking about it, you're right - I should omit the lower bound and just state the higher number as in the best case the lower number has no effect, and worst case it causes them to stand firm at their number.

Edit: put in actual figures in original post, adjusted wording

Bjork Bjowlob fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 10, 2016

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Dude it's right in the title: OFF THE RANGE

Don't give ranges, give goals. If you want 130k ask for 130k. If you think that's so ambitious that they'll balk, figure out what you want and ask for that.

If you don't know what you want, don't negotiate.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Ok thanks will adjust accordingly.

I want 130k. I don't think they'll get there. I'd accept 125k, which I think is a number they could feasibly agree to. In this case is it best to counter at 125k and stay firm or counter slightly higher at 130k and give ground slowly if required?

I guess what I'm asking is: once the initial offer is received from the company, should I enter salary negotiations expecting and preparing for a back and forth between our starting positions that either reaches a 'know when you've won' number, which I accept, or does not, which terminates the negotiation? Or, should I enter negotiations with a single number that is a compromise between what I want and what I think they'll pay, that is either agreed to or not with no back and forth?

Bjork Bjowlob fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 10, 2016

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

solauran posted:

Ok thanks will adjust accordingly.

I want 130k. I don't think they'll get there. I'd accept 125k, which I think is a number they could feasibly agree to. In this case is it best to counter at 125k and stay firm or counter slightly higher at 130k and give ground slowly if required?

I guess what I'm asking is: once the initial offer is received from the company, should I enter salary negotiations expecting and preparing for a back and forth between our starting positions that either reaches a 'know when you've won' number, which I accept, or does not, which terminates the negotiation? Or, should I enter negotiations with a single number that is a compromise between what I want and what I think they'll pay, that is either agreed to or not with no back and forth?

Don't start off stating a compromised position, because then during the course of negotiation you will not demonstrate to the other person that you are compromising what you want. Additionally, you'll have ceded to their position out of the gate without demonstrating that you've given anything.

People think that you're asking for what you want the first time out the gate, regardless if it was a compromise from what you really wanted or not.

So if you want $130k, ask for $130k.

The ONLY time you should be tuning down what you are asking for is if you can confidently predict that you won't have another similar opportunity and can't afford to have them balk and walk away from negotiations entirely.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks, that all makes sense.

This:

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

The ONLY time you should be tuning down what you are asking for is if you can confidently predict that you won't have another similar opportunity and can't afford to have them balk and walk away from negotiations entirely.

is a concern for me which I think led me to make the mistake of being initially soft on the counter-offer. I didn't want them walking away out of hand however I didn't want to risk leaving significant money on the table. Even so, I can see now that it's better to state a hard number than a soft one.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Golluk posted:

Never really did any negotiating, the number that came out was a 13.5% increase. So yeah for that. Of course it probably means I'm underpaid if I'm getting raises like that without having to change jobs or negotiate.

Something D Eisenhower said really resonated with me when I posted here a year or two ago. Basically I was underpaid and found a job that paid way beyond my mental target. I tried to negotiate, b/c I learned you should always negotiate, but had already made a lot of mistakes in the process so they wouldn't move from the first offer. I posted here asking if I should keep going with negotiation and the advice was that I should stop and just take the job. The new job totally changed my life's trajectory and happiness.

Don't let "more" trap you. Thats a nice increase, you should be happy / proud. Whether or not you could have asked for more, or if you're underpaid is separate from this positive event.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
Hi BFC,

I've been working for company A as a mechanical engineer for a little over a year now, straight out of college. It's your typical larger company, >10k employees, offers 401k matching, insurance, all the stuff big engineering companies do.

Long story short I'm REALLY looking to leave company A and that field of engineering in general (toxic environment, too much red tape, lack of feedback from bosses on work done, and literally no one is really taking career development seriously).

In addition to this job, I've been working part-time for a year now with a friend who is CEO at company B; he found out I knew AutoCAD and what started as tidying up a few drawings for him has grown into, well, a loving amazing side gig. He basically acts as my project manager and is my main interface with the company.

A few months ago I talked with him about the possibility of transitioning into a full-time position and he happily welcomed the idea; we're currently working out the details of a full-time offer. He's on travel a lot and in the midst of a big vacation now so I haven't heard too much back from him recently.

Company B is <50 people, and doesn't have the traditional benefits package and such that I'm used to seeing for job applications. Could someone with experience going from a large company to a pretty small one offer any advice?

The position itself would be unlike anything else at company B, so there's insane negotiation potential due to the lack of precedent, and the general flexibility of company B / the CEO being awesome. This is a bit untraditional as well, since rather than going through HR with offers / counter offers, we'll just meet up at a coffee shop or somewhere to directly hash out the details and such.

Mainly, I just want to make sure that I get all the things I may take for granted at a larger company allotted for either through company plans, or salary increases that would cover them. Does this sound like a good line of thinking? Any other things I should consider?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What do you mean "Does not offer a traditional benefits package" - can you elaborate on that?

I work for a 45-person outfit and we receive excellent health, good dental and vision, a FSA to cover all of our out-of-pocket copays, and 401k matching at 50 cents on the dollar up to $18,000. Being small isn't an excuse to not offer adequate benefits and you should require additional compensation to make up for any gaps in the benefits package.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What do you mean "Does not offer a traditional benefits package" - can you elaborate on that?

Sure - i don't have too much info on it, but it sounds like things like insurance are the employee's responsibilities. I made it clear that I'd be looking to get compensated for insurance similar to what I have now in my salaried offer, and he was fine with that idea.

As far as retirement contributions, that's definitely on my list to talk about, but we haven't had a chance to discuss it yet.

I'm considering asking some of the other full-time employees about it for more details, but don't want to sidestep our talks. It's just really hard to be patient when I'm so excited about the opportunity :)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Deadly Intersection posted:

Sure - i don't have too much info on it, but it sounds like things like insurance are the employee's responsibilities. I made it clear that I'd be looking to get compensated for insurance similar to what I have now in my salaried offer, and he was fine with that idea.

I'm not an expert but if you're in the US I am almost positive this is literally illegal for FT employees now unless they're (probably erroneously and also illegally) flagging all of their FT staff as "independent contractors." This kind of seems like a red flag to me if true.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

I'm not an expert but if you're in the US I am almost positive this is literally illegal for FT employees now unless they're (probably erroneously and also illegally) flagging all of their FT staff as "independent contractors." This kind of seems like a red flag to me if true.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm sure I just need to get more info but I'll keep that in mind for when we talk next. To this point, nothing at all has seemed shady about the business so I hope it stays that way!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Health/dental/life/retirement/other benefits can add up to a lot of money. Make sure you're not undervaluing those because the salary itself is potentially higher.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Big company vs small company is an interesting choice. I've worked at both and I much prefer small upon reflection. I'm going to assume both companies are pretty well established companies that happen to be differently sized - established vs startup is a separate dichotomy. Most of the reasons people cite to prefer big companies are actually about established companies.

At a small company you'll have to wear more hats and take on more responsibilities that aren't in your direct purview. This may mean making your own photocopies or printing shipping labels or whatever. Sometimes you'll have responsibilities that there was an entire team for at big companies. (This was extremely apparent going from a huge company that had dedicated testing teams to one where we had to pretty thoroughly prove our code ourselves.) This can be both a burden and on opportunity - being known as a guy who makes stuff happen regardless of what your stated domain is will hopefully be noticed and rewarded. You can be a big fish in a small pond and see tangible business results of the things you do.

There's also less in the way of you improving something outside of your stated domain as well. If there's a whole team dedicated to a task, they'll often end up being resistant to change that comes from outside. They may well work in a different building or city or country, such that they view you as an outsider even if you work in the same company. Compare this to a small company where you can most likely walk over to the CEO and propose something if you want. People will be much more welcoming of improvements to their stuff because they also wear many hats and are happy to have a load taken off.

As an anecdote, in my testing case, our testing was kind of useless. We ran extensive tests that had a relatively high false negative rate. It was high enough that, upon being informed that tests failed for a given change, most developers didn't even consider that they might be the cause. I proposed some improvements, and proposed that I spend my own time on them, but the answer was always the same. The manager of their team in another state wanted his people to take care of things themselves, things had to stay the same because XYZ, he promised it would get better, and then nothing. It's like his job was preserving his fiefdom and not letting anyone see inside or interfere, even at the expense of the company's success. In the second, smaller company, I built and rigged up an automated test system that ended being used by the everyone, and caught major bugs that could have cost us a ton of money. I was in no way asked to do it, but it was something we needed and so I did it.

On the other hand, a smaller company is going to be more resource constrained. You'll end up closer to the business aspects no matter what (for me this is a plus but I can see the appeal of staying out of it). You'll probably be much more cognizant of what things cost and how money is spent. You'll feel more invested in the overall performance of the business. A big company is much more likely to have access to the newest and best tools and products while a smaller company is more likely to try and cut costs on things like that. Both sorts of companies are going to have politics(sorry), but a single bad relationship is going to have a larger impact at a smaller company. There are political pitfalls that don't exist nearly as much in public companies that can exist at small places, like the entire management staff being family members of the owner or whatever other nonsense you can dream up. In my experience, coworkers are closer to one another at smaller companies, but that might just be my small sample set.

I'd say overall, a decent small company is strictly better than working at a big company, but watch out for red flags because they can be pretty bad at their worst. No need to look past the benefits being worse at a small company - if you're losing on perks, get compensated for it. If your contract terms are worse, get compensated for it. (I once negotiated a $20,000 pay bump because, as part of an acquisition, I was losing out on free lunches and dinners at the office.)

EDIT: Jesus I typed a lot of words about that. Maybe I've been pining for someone to ask this question...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 12, 2016

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I agree with everything you just said and also love and prefer working at an established, healthy small company (~85 people total). Growth is natural/organic, not a feverish desire to grow grow grow at all costs to please some VC or shareholders. We've got a flat management structure, first-name basis with everybody including all the leadership, and I mostly know how every employee fits into the organization at some level. We're given the power and freedom to generally do the right thing for the business and customer, and there's very little "well, that's not my job" syndrome among my colleagues. Which, to relate it to this thread, means that you can do and be recognized for your accomplishments and drive your own career growth and promotions/raises/bonuses very directly.

Having also worked at/for large companies, the red tape, bureaucracy, and silo culture is loving maddening.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 12, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I guess I didn't even talk about bureaucracy in a discussion about large companies, jesus. Office space stopped being funny as each joke became reality. I did eventually reach 8 bosses before leaving.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Inept posted:

Health/dental/life/retirement/other benefits can add up to a lot of money. Make sure you're not undervaluing those because the salary itself is potentially higher.

This is truth. The employer paid contributions towards healthcare, 401K, and other benefits is easily 30% of my cash compensation. I'm not even counting the 6 to 10K a year in employee paid training we get.

In fact one of the first things I look for when a company has an opening is what their benefit package looks like. I've not applied to many jobs because the company benefits aren't up to par. I do feel kind of stuck at my current position though. I have so much vacation time right now there are no jobs I could change to that would give me the same amount of time off with my family.

solauran posted:

Thanks, that all makes sense.

This:

is a concern for me which I think led me to make the mistake of being initially soft on the counter-offer. I didn't want them walking away out of hand however I didn't want to risk leaving significant money on the table. Even so, I can see now that it's better to state a hard number than a soft one.

I've read several of your posts, I'm not a regular in here or anything, but what kind of position are you in? Do you need this job? Can you walk away from it if they only go to 110K? Where did you get the 130K number from?

I know the company I work for, when we want to hire for a position, we open a requisition and go through all the back end corporate bullshit before we even get to the interview/job posting process. HR and Finance approve the req, assign a grade, pay range, approve the funding in the budgets, all the stuff that needs to happen beforehand. Then the job is open and can be applied for. If their offer is 95K, I would be pretty sure the internal range assigned to the job opening isn't going to go to 130K, generally the ranges are smaller, 20 or 25K tops. For the right candidate we've gone back and adjusted the grade and pay range if a more senior person blows us away, but it doesn't happen often and involves getting people with Chief and President in their titles to sign off on it.

An example of above: We open a req for a software engineer (grade 2) with a range of 85 to 110K, someone comes in that we love but wants 120, we have to walk the req back through the process and reclassify to staff software engineer(grade 3) which gives us a better pay range to work with and can accommodate the 120.

So what I'm getting at I guess is, shoot for your 130K, if thats what you think the market rate is for someone like you, go for it, but try to understand your position on the negotiation. You might also have to get creative, asking for a sign on bonus or extra vacation time are ways I've seen compromises made with folks we've brought on board. One gent wanted a specific workstation setup that we provided as part of his on board.

I wouldn't worry about being too aggressive, polite, and firm is fine. We've only ended it with 1 candidate that I'm personally aware of during the salary negotiation phase. They asked for an extreme number, way at the top of the market, we explained our range and countered with what we thought was fair. They insisted on their extreme number and we decided at that point it just wasn't going to be a good fit. Finding the right candidate is hard, and costs a lot in time and resources, salary negotiation usually isn't that big of a deal as long as both parties have realistic expectations.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

skipdogg posted:

I've read several of your posts, I'm not a regular in here or anything, but what kind of position are you in? Do you need this job? Can you walk away from it if they only go to 110K? Where did you get the 130K number from?

I don't strictly need the job - I've been out of work for a few months now however financially I'm very secure and my partner is currently working so there's money coming in.

skipdogg posted:

So what I'm getting at I guess is, shoot for your 130K, if thats what you think the market rate is for someone like you, go for it, but try to understand your position on the negotiation. You might also have to get creative, asking for a sign on bonus or extra vacation time are ways I've seen compromises made with folks we've brought on board. One gent wanted a specific workstation setup that we provided as part of his on board.

I wouldn't worry about being too aggressive, polite, and firm is fine. We've only ended it with 1 candidate that I'm personally aware of during the salary negotiation phase. They asked for an extreme number, way at the top of the market, we explained our range and countered with what we thought was fair. They insisted on their extreme number and we decided at that point it just wasn't going to be a good fit. Finding the right candidate is hard, and costs a lot in time and resources, salary negotiation usually isn't that big of a deal as long as both parties have realistic expectations.

The tricky part for me is in quantifying the market rate for my skillset and experience. I was nominally employed as a mechanical engineer at my last job however while I was there I carried out a significant amount of software/technological development work as well. I'm looking to switch to a more software-focused role as I prefer that type of work. The position I'm negotiating for is software engineering-focused however it is in the same industry as my previous job and the product I'll be working with directly relates to the type of engineering challenges that I have significant experience in solving. I feel that having experience on both sides of the fence is very useful for the position and would be valuable to the company. So I derived the 130K figure via researching the salary range for the position on Glassdoor, Payscale and the Hudson 2015 and 2016 technology salary guides (the position is in Australia) and taking a value close to the upper bound to account for the additional value I felt that the combined experience offered. On the other hand, as I'm (kind of) switching professions I understand that it may require taking a step back in terms of seniority and therefore salary as I may not have the more rounded and deep skillset that someone with the same years of experience in a pure software engineering role would have. So I was willing to consider a range of offers, and if I looked at it from the company's perspective I could understand how they might not be willing to come up near the top of the range.

Ultimately it looks like I either overestimated the range the company had in mind for the position or overestimated the value of the combined experience - the company countered at 100k, an increase of 5k over their initial offer. In essence their position is that they prefer to reward outstanding performance rather than starting at a high salary. I'm assuming that this is a fairly common stance for a company to take during salary negotiation and may not be reflective of their actual approach to handling pay raises if I were to take the job.

I'm still interested in the position as I feel it is a good opportunity to make the switch into software engineering, the work itself and the workplace culture sounds great, and it potentially involves an overseas relocation that would satisfy one of my career goals. So I would prefer to continue negotiating rather than walking. I see my options as being:
  • Stick to my guns. I feel that this would be the same as walking away from the negotiation.
  • Recognize that their internal range for the position is lower than expected and/or I overvalued my skillset, and counter at 110k. Based on their counter I'm not sure they'll come up this high.
  • Accept that they are not willing to come up on the initial salary, and start negotiating for other benefits (increased leave, better benefits, yearly return flights home, etc) along with getting a shorter (6-month) salary review baked into the contract to give me more frequent opportunities to ask for pay raises after proving I can do the job at a high level.

Apologies for the long post. Any advice for the next step is appreciated :)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

solauran posted:

In essence their position is that they prefer to reward outstanding performance rather than starting at a high salary. I'm assuming that this is a fairly common stance for a company to take during salary negotiation and may not be reflective of their actual approach to handling pay raises if I were to take the job.

You're right. Everyone says this, but few companies actually do it. Don't get paid in promises.

solauran posted:

I'm still interested in the position as I feel it is a good opportunity to make the switch into software engineering, the work itself and the workplace culture sounds great, and it potentially involves an overseas relocation that would satisfy one of my career goals. So I would prefer to continue negotiating rather than walking. I see my options as being:
  • Stick to my guns. I feel that this would be the same as walking away from the negotiation.
  • Recognize that their internal range for the position is lower than expected and/or I overvalued my skillset, and counter at 110k. Based on their counter I'm not sure they'll come up this high.
  • Accept that they are not willing to come up on the initial salary, and start negotiating for other benefits (increased leave, better benefits, yearly return flights home, etc) along with getting a shorter (6-month) salary review baked into the contract to give me more frequent opportunities to ask for pay raises after proving I can do the job at a high level.

Apologies for the long post. Any advice for the next step is appreciated :)
I think a combination of #2 and #3 could work. But, what is a win in your book? What number would you be happy with?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Listen to Dik, don't take their word for it because when your annual performance review comes around there'll likely be a bag of excuses and nobody will remember past promises.

I made the mistake of giving a range once (before reading the thread) and got lowballed. After that they tried the whole "start low but move up quickly" schtick. For me that was a red flag and while I explained why I would not accept their offer I had some more alarm bells go off.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Thanks for the the advice all :) I ended up going with a combo of #2 and #3, countered at 110k and after some to and fro we settled on 105k plus some decent relocation benefits, which I accepted. The new location (different country) has a lower cost of living and some interesting tax breaks so while I didn't get my target salary locally, once the relocation happens it looks like my net effective salary will be closer to target.

In review I could definitely have played it better (and will do so next time around) however I did get an additional 10k over their initial offer just for negotiating so I feel like that's a win.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

solauran posted:

Thanks for the the advice all :) I ended up going with a combo of #2 and #3, countered at 110k and after some to and fro we settled on 105k plus some decent relocation benefits, which I accepted. The new location (different country) has a lower cost of living and some interesting tax breaks so while I didn't get my target salary locally, once the relocation happens it looks like my net effective salary will be closer to target.

In review I could definitely have played it better (and will do so next time around) however I did get an additional 10k over their initial offer just for negotiating so I feel like that's a win.

You got the 10k / year and some valuable experience.

Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted. If you internalize the opportunities for improvement and execute on them real next time around you will likely do even better on your next round of the negotiating game. And even with the opportunities you missed, $10k is nothing to sneeze at!

If you're comfortable documenting your experiences, we've compiled a record of what simply asking can get here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nSJHNBoljONE0lu4Yi_a5JUOzv3cS5FbC6m8lxT9i3E/edit#gid=245510761

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

solauran posted:

If it makes you feel any better, you get that $10k every year for the rest of your stint at that company, and future raises will compound it if they're given in the traditional X% increase style.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I'm planning on asking my boss for a raise tomorrow morning and wanted your opinions/thoughts. I'm not sure what I'm worth. Do I specify or do I let my boss? Reading the OP, it's clear I give a solid number and not a range. But if I do, how do I know what I'm worth? 10% would be $1. Looking at Glassdoor, the average is $11-13. that's full time though. I'm thinking of asking for a 10% increase (or $1). But if that's my aim, should I ask for 15% or even 20% or is that laughable?

Background is I'm a young college student who works part time at the nicest (and most profitable) hotel in town, an independent 4-star. I was initially hired almost one year ago as a Front Desk Agent, but moved to Night Audit six months later. I started at $10 and that hasn't changed despite not only learning more and taking on more responsibilities, but also working graveyard shift. I only work Fri and Sat, but those are by far the busiest nights here (we're in the heart of downtown). I constantly deal with drunks, sometimes hostile ones.

My boss and I usually chit chat in the morning before I take off. She's friendly and to the point, so I'm assuming this would be the best time as it's quiet and we don't see each other otherwise.

I'm thinking of saying "I'd like to talk about my salary." We've talked about how my one year with the company is coming up before. And if need be, I'll mention that I've proven myself to be reliable and have taken on a lot more responsibility than when I was initially hired. I know how to do two positions and move according to what's needed. I'm the only one here at night and have developed problem-solving skills because of it. E.g. I've picked up valet, cleaning the lobby and back office, and have even dealt with the police because a fight and subsequently cleaned blood off the elevator floor and walls. I've also covered for the full time night audit countless times because he's routinely under the weather.

I'm certain no one else in the front desk staff has agreed to come in more than I have, and my boss often praises me for not having to repeat herself (she vents about new employees occasionally because we have a high turnover rate)

I'm sort of rambling here but I figured It'd be best to give a clear picture of my situation.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 20, 2016

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Is night audit a step up? Is there a performance review or any kind of annual check in with your manager about performance? If there is that would be the time to force the issue as it were but you would ideally have a banter with your manager where your aspirations and good works were acknowledged in an informal manner. If I were you I would ask for a time to talk about your performance with your manager. Get feedback and say you want to be moving forward and then digest the results of that conversation and make an informed decision about your goals. I don't know what's normal for your exact line of work but 11 an hour would be a non starter for me. A 10% raise at that level won't be felt really. You should be aiming for a 5-10 an hour raise or moving on in my opinion. Again caveat I don't know where you live or you. I think the high turnover rate might be a big clue to how this will end for you sadly. If you have to do this tomorrow I would try and angle your new role vs your initial hire and say you feel the hours and responsibility has changed and so should compensation. Good luck!

particle9 fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 20, 2016

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Hi uhhh I just did one of those payscale.com evaluation things (self-)prompted by a company-wide survey question which asked if I was satisfied with my compensation. To my dismay and utter validation, I am grossly underpaid. My 3-year anniversary is coming up next month and I just had a mid-year review with very high marks, but we're quite slow right now (it's a consulting firm). Do I just sit down with my managers and inform them of this fact, or am I supposed to wait until we are super-slammed with work?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Who are you comparing to? I find consulting pay benchmarks are very unreliable, and I just tried PayScale - it doesn't really jive with my understanding of the market because of job title issues. Are there other people at your firm that do similar work at your level? Do you know what they get paid?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Who are you comparing to? I find consulting pay benchmarks are very unreliable, and I just tried PayScale - it doesn't really jive with my understanding of the market because of job title issues. Are there other people at your firm that do similar work at your level? Do you know what they get paid?

I have a standard job title, Environmental Engineer. And there's really only one other person here remotely at my level but the situation is quite different because I'm much older and have 2 degrees, so it's kind of apples/oranges.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

psychokitty posted:

I have a standard job title, Environmental Engineer. And there's really only one other person here remotely at my level but the situation is quite different because I'm much older and have 2 degrees, so it's kind of apples/oranges.

So it sounds like what you should do is find out how much you're worth, and the best way is to get a job offer.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

psychokitty posted:

To my dismay and utter validation, I am grossly underpaid.

IMO dismay is the opposite reaction you should have. It's a sign of opportunity that you can make significantly more either at your current job or (more likely) by jumping ship.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

But I really like my job though. So you're saying I need an offer to dangle in front of my managers, which I wouldn't take? But then I wouldn't take it but what if they won't give me more money?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

psychokitty posted:

But I really like my job though. So you're saying I need an offer to dangle in front of my managers, which I wouldn't take? But then I wouldn't take it but what if they won't give me more money?
No - you need an offer to convince yourself what you're worth so you can ask for it confidently. Once you tell your managers here, you're done at your current job, even if they match it. You're forever marked as disloyal. If you want to be paid fairly, you need to drop the loyalty to your current place of work. Lots of people are somewhat happy and complacent with their jobs, and guess what? They're underpaid, that's how it works. Face your fear of the unknown and be prepared to walk is my advice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

psychokitty posted:

Look, you can go to them and draw a line from some increased value add to your compensation and see if they bite. But if they don't, you're going to go ahead and continue to be paid at the same low rate because you like your job. You have to decide what's important to you. Does the money and or perception of value matter to you more than the fact that you like your job?

Manny Ramirez (famous Boston Red Sox superstar, if you're not a ball fan) was paid about $906,000 on a biweekly basis. He routinely had multiple pay checks floating around in his locker, uncashed. He didn't actually care about the money, but he cared about being directly, tangibly valued as one of the best players in baseball.

I would take a short trip back through this thread from the beginning to get your head right on why counteroffers are important, but first you need to decide if you actually are willing to change jobs. If you aren't, don't expect a high degree of success in your efforts to get paid more.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

No - you need an offer to convince yourself what you're worth so you can ask for it confidently.

And I mean confirm you're actually not making the market wage, yes? Because maybe that data is flawed.

Another line of thought. Assuming you can't get better pay If you like your job but can confirm you're paid less than market, you could use that knowledge in negotiation for more PTO or other noncash benefits.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Xguard86 posted:

And I mean confirm you're actually not making the market wage, yes? Because maybe that data is flawed.

Another line of thought. Assuming you can't get better pay If you like your job but can confirm you're paid less than market, you could use that knowledge in negotiation for more PTO or other noncash benefits.

Thanks and yeah I'm fairly confident that I make less than market (I have been convinced of this for a while but today I actually found some evidence), but they don't like PTO here. I'll figure it out.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

No - you need an offer to convince yourself what you're worth so you can ask for it confidently. Once you tell your managers here, you're done at your current job, even if they match it. You're forever marked as disloyal.

This is not true at all places. Six years after showing an offer to my employer from another place, I'm still working at the original place and making about 35% more right now than the second place was offering at the time, over 110% more than what I was making before showing the offer.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 22, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

This is not true at all places. Six years after showing an offer to my employer from another place, I'm still working at the original place and making about 35% more right now than the second place was offering at the time, over 110% more than what I was making before showing the offer.
Cool cool - good deal. You probably would have gotten raises and whatnot at the other place as well, but who knows if they'd amount to 35%, so fair enough, thanks for the data point. I have to imagine it's pretty rare to ever double your salary while sticking with the same company but who knows? I guess my takeaway is use your judgement here - some companies/managers will be more vindictive than others. If you absolutely aren't willing to leave your job, it's risky to show another offer letter. You certainly ought to think carefully as to how you approach it. Maybe making it sound like external factors are pressuring you to earn more is a good bet? (man boss I love it here but my mother-in-law is really on my case :argh:)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not sure if this article has been posted before, but I really liked this article by Robert Park, yeah it's on medium.com but I thought it made a couple good points.

https://medium.com/the-future-of-money/negotiation-isnt-just-about-money-fca4d1a8ccde#.msq9y72ri

quote:

The goal in salary negotiation is not to get the highest offer. It’s to get the best offer without compromising your relationship with the employer.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
That excerpt sounds like self-serving crap to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah that excerpt is referred to in the title but it's only really one little paragraph of the article. I think it's completely wrong even if the rest of the article is fine. I don't know what range offers are typically negotiated in, but at least in my industry, the margins the company has to make on an employee for them to be worth keeping are way higher than any typical salary negotiation could net anyone. I'm pretty skeptical that he actually knows someone who lost their job because they negotiated their salary too high - pretty sure they would have lost their job anyway if they weren't deemed competent enough for the role.