Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jiro posted:

So we don't know what happens to Urahara, Isshin, Ryuken, Yoruichi?

Well, we've had Shinagami and Fullbringers- why not Schrodingers? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
These last two chapters were stupid and dry but for some reason I'm not seething with rage.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

sharktamer posted:

These last two chapters were stupid and dry but for some reason I'm not seething with rage.

Meanwhile I haven't read this series since about 7 years ago, and yet for some reason I'm kind of annoyed.

I guess it's the lack of effort.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

bleach is over

and i feel nothingness

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

sharktamer posted:

Bleach is just something you get used to.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
It was a little sad seeing Kubo trying to write his characters how they used to be. You can just imagine Rukia talking in her funny deep voice when she has those big eyes.

Renji didn't get a single line in the last chapter though ahaha.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah you'd think after all these years reading I'd be more annoyed at the end, instead I'm just sort of dryly amused.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Vengarr posted:

People who read through the entire Soul Society arc week-by-week, and then kept reading when Heuco Mundo was revealed to be Soul Society 2.0, just loving baffle me.

Why would you expect anything good after that? I only suffered through Soul Society because I was hoping it was an aberration. When it was revealed to be the New Normal, I jumped ship. And Soul Society was the high point compared to everything that came after! At least it had some good characters, a few good fights, and some cool scenes even though overall it was a total slog.

I know I initially had an attitude of like "Well maybe it'll get fun again" and kept reading on for the longest time. I think around the time that one espada vs. Ishida and Renji fight lasted for almost 8 months and consisted of him pulling stuff out of his rear end, I was in full "click arrow to next page" mode. I think Bleach was just a habit that was hard to break but once you skipped a few chapters, you were free man.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Ichibei: "I am alive because you said my name. However, I have things I must do. Only you can defeat Ywach, Goodbye."

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Remember those dumb shinigami kids kubo wasted like 5 chapters on at the start of the last arc

Thoren
May 28, 2008

slev posted:

Remember those dumb shinigami kids kubo wasted like 5 chapters on at the start of the last arc

No.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm glad Kubo is finally free to write fashion industry shounen like he probably would've rather done these past several years.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Kild posted:

Kubo's assistants were the ones that did the backgrounds. Yes the blank space.

Kubo's assistants are minimalist artists. It's not for everyone.

And are there any hopes of this live-action thing being silly tokusatsu goodness (like, I dunno, Shinkenger meets Garo?), or wil it be some angsty stuff?

Doresh fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 18, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Thoren posted:

Ichibei: "I am alive because you said my name. However, I have things I must do. Only you can defeat Ywach, Goodbye."

except he said ichigo couldn't???

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

except he said ichigo couldn't???

The Almighty is powerless against Opposite Day.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

slev posted:

What if kubo made the worst ending to make sure no one could ever profit from bleach ever again, killing bleach forever and becoming the unsung hero of this thread

He did that in the Fullbringer Arc tho

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Doresh posted:

Kubo's assistants are minimalist artists. It's not for everyone.

And are there any hopes of this live-action thing being silly tokusatsu goodness (like, I dunno, Shinkenger meets Garo?), or wil it be some angsty stuff?

the lack of backgrounds is a deliberate choice by kubo. he is incompetent, not lazy. poo poo, anyone who can put out a weekly manga on a regular schedule for so many years is the exact opposite of lazy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
anyway, i don't hate bleach. aside from a good scene here and there, it has been terrible for years but that is what i am into. i like a lot of awful, awful fiction without needing to pretend it is good.

i am still glad to see it fail because of how kubo never learned a single lesson from his past mistakes. bleach's popularity began waning when he did a ridiculously long arc where every minor character had to get their own fight, even though the main enemy could have won in an instant at any time with his vague handwavey powers.

then he tried to go back to basics with the fullbringer arc, but either neglected to think of an ending or else thought of a really, really bad ending. there was a lot of suspense leading up to that final confrontation. ichigo was alone and outmatched, with his former allies turned against him. he wasn't entirely comfortable with his new power set, either. but then half a dozen of the enormous cast of ghosts popped in, gave ichigo his old powers back and solved everything for him.

then for his next arc, kubo decided to do the arrancar and aizen arc again but worse in every way. all we missed due to the cancellation was this exact same garbage ending after kubo dragged poo poo out for another couple years. did anyone really want to see the rest of the cast take turns popping out their super secret special move on thor only for it to be completely ineffective?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
What a loving chapter.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Serious Frolicking posted:

anyway, i don't hate bleach. aside from a good scene here and there, it has been terrible for years but that is what i am into. i like a lot of awful, awful fiction without needing to pretend it is good.

i am still glad to see it fail because of how kubo never learned a single lesson from his past mistakes. bleach's popularity began waning when he did a ridiculously long arc where every minor character had to get their own fight, even though the main enemy could have won in an instant at any time with his vague handwavey powers.

then he tried to go back to basics with the fullbringer arc, but either neglected to think of an ending or else thought of a really, really bad ending. there was a lot of suspense leading up to that final confrontation. ichigo was alone and outmatched, with his former allies turned against him. he wasn't entirely comfortable with his new power set, either. but then half a dozen of the enormous cast of ghosts popped in, gave ichigo his old powers back and solved everything for him.

then for his next arc, kubo decided to do the arrancar and aizen arc again but worse in every way. all we missed due to the cancellation was this exact same garbage ending after kubo dragged poo poo out for another couple years. did anyone really want to see the rest of the cast take turns popping out their super secret special move on thor only for it to be completely ineffective?

Mostly agree except the bolded point, the fullbringer arc got rushed to a hasty conclusion because it went over like a lead balloon in Japan because the popular shinigami characters were nowhere to be found.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sydin posted:

Mostly agree except the bolded point, the fullbringer arc got rushed to a hasty conclusion because it went over like a lead balloon in Japan because the popular shinigami characters were nowhere to be found.

giving fans what they say they want is the worst idea imaginable.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

giving fans what they say they want is the worst idea imaginable.

Tell that to the WSJ editors.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

...I never even got into Naruto, but didn't people say that they actually liked the ending to that one?

Relatively speaking, anyway.

The chapter before the last was pretty okay.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

I tell ya, if it wasn't for the cancellation, this Thor raid would've gone so long that Kenpachi would've had time for another power-up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Doresh posted:

I tell ya, if it wasn't for the cancellation, this Thor raid would've gone so long that Kenpachi would've had time for another power-up.

Oh! I meant to ask: Did Kenpachi get another powerup after learning to swing his sword with two hands?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh! I meant to ask: Did Kenpachi get another powerup after learning to swing his sword with two hands?

he got a shikai and then it turned out yachiru was his bankai, to the surprise of absolutely no one. we don't know what either of them were supposed to do aside from be strong.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

he got a shikai and then it turned out yachiru was his bankai, to the surprise of absolutely no one. we don't know what either of them were supposed to do aside from be strong.

...so was his Zanpakuto just named 'yachiru', then?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sydin posted:

tbh the early parts of the fullbringer arc weren't any better than the lame ending. it was more like when ichigo got back from ss and was depressed than it was the early, fun bleach and most of the characters you'd think might have gotten some time to shine never did. if kubo was trying to evoke the pre ss stuff, he failed spectacularly

also the new characters were all either bad (the fullbringers) or totally pointless and dropped immediately (ichigo's boss and her son)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Just so there're no surprises, gonna leave this thread open for a bit - maybe a day or so - for everybody to post their piece, after which I'm gonna lock it and let it sink to the bottom of the board.

The series is finally over so in lieu of any active discussion we probably don't need a long-term thread dedicated to pissing on its grave. If you liked the series, I'm sure Kubo has something else up his sleeve for you in the near future. If you hated it, it can't hurt you anymore, though you're clearly still capable of hurting yourself considering you didn't drop it.

Peace.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

I hope Kubo does some art dumps of everyone. Especially those who were not in the ending. One last fashion hurrah.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Just so there're no surprises, gonna leave this thread open for a bit - maybe a day or so - for everybody to post their piece, after which I'm gonna lock it and let it sink to the bottom of the board.

The series is finally over so in lieu of any active discussion we probably don't need a long-term thread dedicated to pissing on its grave. If you liked the series, I'm sure Kubo has something else up his sleeve for you in the near future. If you hated it, it can't hurt you anymore, though you're clearly still capable of hurting yourself considering you didn't drop it.

Peace.

Account sharing is forbidden, WSJ management

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Spiritus Nox posted:

...so was his Zanpakuto just named 'yachiru', then?

Well... he named her, his Zanpakuto, Yachiru when he found her in TBTP. He named her that because that's the name of the person he respected the most, the 11th Kenpachi, Unohana Yachiru. But yeah, Yachiru, his vice captain, is actually a sword that has it's own zanpakuto, shikai, and bankai, that are separate from Zaraki's.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Well... he named her, his Zanpakuto, Yachiru when he found her in TBTP. He named her that because that's the name of the person he respected the most, the 11th Kenpachi, Unohana Yachiru. But yeah, Yachiru, his vice captain, is actually a sword that has it's own zanpakuto, shikai, and bankai, that are separate from Zaraki's.

...huh. Confusing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bleach was something I started reading way back from the beginning, so honestly I've mostly kept up on it out of sheer habit. Lord knows I didn't actually read every chapter, but Bleach isn't a series where you need to do that anyways.

I like reading lovely stuff too, but Bleach got kind of soul killing even then in that nothing cool ever happened. Oh sure there were a lot of stylish "woah look at that thing" moments, but since I didn't give half a poo poo about any of the characters none of it connected. We've had like 15+ fights with endless gigantic splash stages ever since Ywach reached the Soul King's palace and I can only barely remember the details.

I just didn't care about this stupid comic at all. Good thing most of this thread agreed so we could all join in on weekly shitflinging.

In closing I can't believe Ichigo spent the final arc running up and down Snake Way and getting his sword broken. He may be the most pathetic shonen protagonist in all of existence.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, you have to remember that naruto once had a panic attack and started hyperventilating when someone told him that sasuke was a huge rear end in a top hat, terrorist and murderer and no one else even wanted him to come back.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

sharktamer posted:

"I'm not angry, just disappointed"

Bad Seafood posted:

Please let us poo poo on Bleach forever.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

well, you have to remember that naruto once had a panic attack and started hyperventilating when someone told him that sasuke was a huge rear end in a top hat, terrorist and murderer and no one else even wanted him to come back.

If we're talking panic attacks and sudden depression, it's really hard to beat Ichigo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So did urahara, Grimjow and Nel just die then?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

If we're talking panic attacks and sudden depression, it's really hard to beat Ichigo.

ichigo just mopes around, he doesn't collapse and start foaming at the mouth like naruto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Bleach was the first anime I watched in japanese after finding out that anime was a thing that was separate from "normal" cartoons. I was super into it up until the end of the soul society arc because it was entertaining and because all the hallmarks of a generic shonen were super fresh and cool and DEEP to me back then. I powered through the arrancar arc for the sake of closure and finally dropped it during the fullbringer arc when I realized I could no longer give a poo poo. Skimming through the rest of the plot points, it looks like In the end it was just a bunch of cool ideas and pin-up battle poses slapped together without any intention of making a cohesive whole or giving any character a complete arc. I'm glad it's finally dead. That was my bleach story

• Locked thread