Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Does iracing still have unrealistically difficult handling that feels like every track is made of ice? I remember trying it a few years ago and finding that it felt nothing like driving a real car and getting frustrated because it suffered from the "difficulty=realism" thing so many racing sims suffered from before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I don't know whether it's better or if I've just gotten used to it, but I don't notice it as much any more. There still isn't the physical feedback you'd get in the real world so it'll always feel a bit 'ghostly' to drive, but it's not horrible skatey bullshit at least.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GutBomb posted:

Does iracing still have unrealistically difficult handling that feels like every track is made of ice? I remember trying it a few years ago and finding that it felt nothing like driving a real car and getting frustrated because it suffered from the "difficulty=realism" thing so many racing sims suffered from before.

The grip is fine in iracing. There's probably less than in forza. Iracing is fun and good. Everyone goes in thinking there's not enough grip because they are used to arcade games. There's plenty of grip once you get a grasp of how to drive the cars.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Let's do some Assetto Corsa again this sunday and get a bit more use out of the server before the funds run out. Also so people who only have Assetto Corsa can join and be yelled at to buy Automobilista.

Assetto Corsa:

Haven't decided on track/car yet.

Edit:
I'm up for some AMS on Friday or Saturday if anyone is interested.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The one weekend I'll be out of town. :|

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

The grip is fine in iracing. There's probably less than in forza. Iracing is fun and good. Everyone goes in thinking there's not enough grip because they are used to arcade games. There's plenty of grip once you get a grasp of how to drive the cars.

Well I'm not really comparing it to forzas, I'm comparing it to something like pcars or assetto corsa which both manage to feel realistic without being frustrating. It's cheap enough to give iracing another try so I should just check it out

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Well I'm not really comparing it to forzas, I'm comparing it to something like pcars or assetto corsa which both manage to feel realistic without being frustrating. It's cheap enough to give iracing another try so I should just check it out

Like Vando said, I don't know if it has gotten better or if I've just gotten used to it. I do know that I never end up thinking I don't have enough grip.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Coming from a lot of Pcars play, I'd say iRacing grip is comparable if not better in my limited experience so far. The transition from Pcars to iRacing has been pretty painless I'd say.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Also: iRacing thread!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

Like Vando said, I don't know if it has gotten better or if I've just gotten used to it. I do know that I never end up thinking I don't have enough grip.

Either it's gotten better or I've gotten better. Either way, I have iRacing again and I like it now. Looking forward to some goon racing. I'll hit up the thread.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Make sure you have the skip and join us tonight for Skips at old Phoenix. Jump in the discord https://discord.gg/DNQkVRN

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Did anyone pick up F1 2016 yet? Impressions?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Norns posted:

Did anyone pick up F1 2016 yet? Impressions?

On the PS4. Haven't played it yet as I'm still at work. So far the reviews are very positive.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I got it on PC and played a few hours last night. It's pretty fun. I'm liking how they set up the campaign and team goals and car upgrades and stuff.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is last year's soft rear end post processing filter gone?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
GB has a quicklook for it up http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-f1-2016/2300-11502/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ars was pretty favorable towards it:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/f1-2016-review-just-like-the-real-thing-except-not-boring/

tl;dr:

quote:

The Good:
A lot of depth to career mode to keep you playing
Quite accurately reflects the need to multitask in the middle of a race
Dynamic weather and track conditions
Tweakable difficulty to suit almost every ability level
Good cut scenes and interstitials that look a lot like the real thing

The Bad:
F1 cars sound so boring now
Losing a race because you listened to advice from your engineer

The Ugly:
Why are so many of the rendered characters cross-eyed?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

quote:

Losing a race because you listened to advice from your engineer

The True Ferrari Experience

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I picked up f1 2016. you can yell into your mic for your engineer to shut up. I miss bathurst. the game feels good with a gamepad though and monaco is cool

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Got it on PC as well, FFB is way improved, AI is prone to stupidity on starts as always but much better behaved once things spread out. Voice recognition is improved too and helps to manage the in-car adjustment and strategy changes much better. Damage is better too, front wings don't disintegrate if you tap someone else's rear end even on full damage, and in bigger crashes the cars break apart real nice. There's also a lot more options for single races, some time of day presets so you can run Singapore or Bahrain in the morning instead of night, or do Spa at sunset. All around it's a massive improvement over 2015 and deserves the praise it's getting.

There seems to be more mechanical issues that don't result in retirements too, like in my first career race Danny Ricciardo was running in 4th, then with 5 laps to go I got a radio message saying he had an engine problem and was slowing. He didn't retire, but finished 8th after me and some AI blew past him like he wasn't even there.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Is last year's soft rear end post processing filter gone?

It's still there, but post-processing can be turned off completely in the graphics options now rather than having to edit an INI file. They have learned a lot from Dirt Rally.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah it looks much better than 2015 did at release. My framerate goes to poo poo when you're sitting in the team lounge for some reason but on track it's always solid.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm real excited to start my career with Lotus and experience a truly disappointing F1 career.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm real excited to start my career with Lotus and experience a truly disappointing F1 career.

You're about to be more disappointed than you think.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cojawfee posted:

Er Renault.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also since the game now has 7 difficulties instead of 5 from 2015, you should probably start a step up from what you used in 2015. I ran medium in 2015 and was absolutely destroying it in 2016. They really should stop trying to do human models though.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

she looks like she's had a hard night

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

lol

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

From my first qualifying

Seems legit.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've seen a few people see Rosberg getting DQ'd, I've also noticed the Renaults are prone to mechanical issues. Jolyon Palmer's retired from both my career races so far.

Also, AMS 1.0 confirmed for release next week :toot:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there anything special coming with 1.0 or is it just "It's 1.0 now"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Formula Vintages, new layouts for Not-Suzuka, VIR and Mendig, some graphical reworks for some cars and the throttle mapping stuff that's made a bunch of cars way more fun to race.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So after playing F1 2016 a bit more, getting used to it and finding the best settings I could find for my wheel, my impression went from alright to good. The driving model probably isn't quite as sophisticated as other sims, but it feels pretty sim-y to me. The important thing is how much it makes me miss the "game" part in all the other games. Having short-term and long-term goals, upgrading your car, even the gamification of the practice sessions where you earn upgrade points for reaching certain targets - it adds a lot to the overall experience, simcade or not. There are things to nitpick, the FFB is still pretty mediocre and if you think all racing game AI is worthless this one will not convince you otherwise, but all in all I think they finally managed to tie things together and fulfill on the promises of the series such as they are.

Now get back to the original TOCA/DTM race driver idea, before you turned it into GRID.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Also:

Next Event:

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 21, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The game part is critical to why I'm enjoying F1 as much as I am. Just going from race to race building setup in practice, hotlapping in qualifying and then doing a race gets old in all games. But having to fit in setup building around doing practice programmes, seeing the actual data given to you from those programmes like what corners you're struggling with, how fast your tires wear and how that affects your lap times and also hoping you can pull together enough development points before the end of the weekend to get an upgrade is holding my attention. It's also super fun having changing strategies in there based on damage, like yesterday I hit a Sauber and lost half my front wing, then changed strategy to pit for a new wing and go onto mediums so I could stick to the one stop. Worked and helped me get some positions back until late in the race when everyone on softs and super softs just started destroying me.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Count me as another who's super positive on F1 2016. I'm seriously enjoying the career mode, as it has enough gameplay hooks beyond a very fun and engaging driving model.

Codemasters has done a lot to lift their studio with this F1 iteration and Dirt Rally. They're pulling together a nice string of fun games.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Really. Really?!

The new Codemasters F1 game is good. You fuckers better not be yanking my chain, coz I would poo poo my pants for a good 'gamey' f1 metagame with damage and stuff.

It's like 50 bucks on G2A. Hrm. The wheel and everything is right here.. I was iRacing just before.

ALRIGHT

edit: lol codemasters. So I load it up, and holy poo poo it looks amazing, doesn't it. Started in Melbourne and it looks like it's on TV. I was playing 2014 last and it's a massive improvement. Switch it to elite, spend time using that menu I think I saw in Dirt as well.. I need saturation at 100 to make my 1080 degree wheel behave normally. Once I can see the guys hands in the cockpit turning in perfect unison with my own, I do some laps. It's great! Holy poo poo the power, that torque just wanting to shred the rears at any time. It's a lot of fun to drive.

I just went into the controls to bind the clutch and.. there is NO clutch. No clutch. I mean I know it's basically a rocketship, but it's got a clutch. lol.

edit2: I always ate up the 'pretend to be a f1 driver' bits in the career and this one is amazing :) I chose Ferrari first and there is ArrivaBene sitting there on the couch, I was a bit intimidated lol and decided to restart with a backmarker first.. and at Sauber I have the Indian woman (whose name I can't remember now) as my team boss as it should be.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 21, 2016

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Tony Montana posted:

I need saturation at 100 to make my 1080 degree wheel behave normally.

The game expects your wheel to be set to 360 degrees. It can't do it by itself like the other sims. Upping the saturation probably makes everything terribly non-linear.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
F1 drivers don't use a clutch on every gear change, just the starts and most wheels don't have another paddle to use as a clutch paddle anyway.

This game does simulate a clutch start with holding the upshift paddle during the start.

I suspect you're using a thrustmaster or fanatec wheel since you mentioned 1080 degrees. The thrustmaster should have software that lets you change the degrees of rotation, and the fanatec you change directly on the wheel. Logitech you do it in the software and can set up a game based profile so it just does it automatically when it detects the game running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Dammit guys I don't have time to play f1 2016 but it sounds so good.