Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

jonathan posted:

First I've heard of the game, but that's pretty cool. Also note that ziggurat vertigo was a level in quake 1

It's a roguelite FPS. Gameplay is a little Serious Sam I guess? Lots of enemies spawn in each room and you have to kite them around and try to dodge things, and if you enter a room you have to kill everyone in it.

The "gun"play is pretty good, the weapons have a lot of cool style to them and it's a pretty colorful game. Not the best roguelite I've played, it doesn't have a ton of depth, but it's a decent timewaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Sadly, the weapons also have zero bang to them and everything is a giant HP sponge once you get further into a run, so the gunfeel is absolutely terrible. :(

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

jonathan posted:

First I've heard of the game, but that's pretty cool. Also note that ziggurat vertigo was a level in quake 1

Ziggurat is another game I wrote a bunch of words about awhile back. It has such an enjoyable gameplay loop and so much stuff to find that I keep coming back to it over and over.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CJacobs posted:

When the wall comes down that traps the player in the arena, the bookcases in the hallway drop down so you can use a small tunnel to get back into the arena room (I also included another vent so the player can backtrack if they want to go back for something). Circular level design is fun!

This looks awesome! :toot:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

Ziggurat is another game I wrote a bunch of words about awhile back. It has such an enjoyable gameplay loop and so much stuff to find that I keep coming back to it over and over.

They also kept patching and adding stuff to it. Is a fun little game if you play it on short bursts.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Daikatana.....swamp levels..why am I doing this. Opening a game with a swamp/sewer level should be illegal.

edit: Okay now I'm in a prison, not constantly killing frogs and misquitos has relaxed me.

Sir Simon Milligan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 16, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Listen to the lounge music in the beginning of one of the levels. It may sound a little familiar.

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012

mystic pimp posted:

What's the best way to play Quake 1 DM these days? I heard ProQuake is okay?

I couldn't find a perfect port either, they all had something I didn't like -- quakespasm's r_wateralpha and watervis do not work correctly for me but everything else looked awesome in (faithful) graphic preset.
Some of the ports have godawful texture and sprite replacements, really bad menu replacement called "OpenQuartz" and I couldn't find where it was hiding so I just reinstalled from scratch. Sound effect replacements too, are pretty bad.

I don't know maybe I connected to a bad megaTF server. I wish there was at least one 16-32 player vanilla QWTF because I would play that a lot if I could.

FTEQW is a decent quakeworld port, but most of the older mods I play and mess around with are based on netquake/winquake.

-- I forget how well they worked and looked but you could try the 3dfx glide wrappers Nglide & DGVoodoo2
http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide
http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2.html

Eatpants fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 16, 2016

koren
Sep 7, 2003

mystic pimp posted:

http://nquake.com/ (the latest ezquake with nice config presets)

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Man, I really like Doom Retro. Every time I boot it up I just love the little touches without it making Doom too not Doom, y'Doom?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I just played Scythe, Scythe2 and Scythex with Doom4Doom mod and had a blast (hell, there were some drat hard moments that killed me making me restart the map). What would be a decently long wad that allows me to get a lot of upgrade points?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

Sadly, the weapons also have zero bang to them and everything is a giant HP sponge once you get further into a run, so the gunfeel is absolutely terrible. :(

It's tower of guns all over again, huh?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

It's tower of guns all over again, huh?

It's definitely a recurring problem with these roguelite FPSes, yeah.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm going to take the opposing viewpoint and say that the guns in Zig are fine.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

mystic pimp posted:

koren posted:

http://nquake.com/ (the latest ezquake with nice config presets)

These are both good answers, but in different ways. ProQuake is non-QuakeWorld and ezQuake is QuakeWorld. So it depends on whether you want to play on QuakeWorld servers or not.

ProQuake is a good non-QuakeWorld client tuned for multiplayer in a few ways, like better angle precision when aiming and a built-in server browser. I think Fitzquake Mark V is gradually hoovering up ProQuake's features (same guy working on it) but not everything yet... e.g. I don't think FMV has a server browser yet.

ezQuake is very nice as a QuakeWorld client, but make sure you are using a version 3.x build from https://github.com/ezQuake/ezquake-source/releases . I don't know if the nQuake package has been updated to the 3.x release series yet. If you want to use the nQuake stuff and it is still using 2.x, you could install nQuake first and then replace its ezQuake version with the 3.x release. There's some notes about transitioning your ezQuake config from 2.x to 3.x at http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/topic/6757/ezquake-2x-to-30-upgrade-info

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Segmentation Fault posted:

You want Reelism.

Reelism is a descendant of Robotron/Smash TV/etc, but it's way more... bite-size than Smash TV or Total Carnage. It's more like playing a single, really really hard, Robotron room.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Johnny Law posted:

These are both good answers, but in different ways. ProQuake is non-QuakeWorld and ezQuake is QuakeWorld. So it depends on whether you want to play on QuakeWorld servers or not.

[...]

ezQuake is very nice as a QuakeWorld client, but make sure you are using a version 3.x build from https://github.com/ezQuake/ezquake-source/releases . I don't know if the nQuake package has been updated to the 3.x release series yet. If you want to use the nQuake stuff and it is still using 2.x, you could install nQuake first and then replace its ezQuake version with the 3.x release. There's some notes about transitioning your ezQuake config from 2.x to 3.x at http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/topic/6757/ezquake-2x-to-30-upgrade-info
If you're playing DM, I don't know why you'd want anything other than a quakeworld client tbh. And yes, i'm pretty sure nquake has been updated to 3.0.1.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

I'm going to take the opposing viewpoint and say that the guns in Zig are fine.

:agreed:

I think that the guns are fine. Nothing special but not as bad as Tower of Guns bad. The game has colorful graphics, fast gameplay and even if the map layout is simple, you can get a lot of gameplay for its price and got nice support from the devs. To me is a better Hexen.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
This Golden Eye game is OK, but it is a little simple to play. Just move very slow and if you want to aim you move even slower, I thought you people criticized games that you moved slow? A little inconsistent, I think.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shayu posted:

This Golden Eye game is OK, but it is a little simple to play. Just move very slow and if you want to aim you move even slower, I thought you people criticized games that you moved slow? A little inconsistent, I think.

Just for the record, have you played GoldenEye on n64? Personally I really dig GS Source, and I also really dig say Quake 3 which is really fast, different games can pull off having a different feel well. GS Source doesn't even really feel slow to me, in a server with 16 people it's ridiculously fast paced.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 18, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Semi-related, but Digital Foundry recently did a tech analysis of Goldeneye 64 / Perfect Dark. I never realized just how awful the frame rate was in those games (especially in 4-way multi).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx3_beBwsZ0

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Linguica posted:

Semi-related, but Digital Foundry recently did a tech analysis of Goldeneye 64 / Perfect Dark. I never realized just how awful the frame rate was in those games (especially in 4-way multi).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx3_beBwsZ0

I'm guessing it's rose tinted glasses. At least it was for me when I recently revisited those titles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They were fun in spite of those technical limitations. It's easy to look down on them now in the era of 3D gaming that looks good and runs smooth.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lurdiak posted:

They were fun in spite of those technical limitations. It's easy to look down on them now in the era of 3D gaming that looks good and runs smooth.

Oh I agree. The way you said it is much better :)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah pd always ran like dogshit okay not that bad but pretty poorly and i remember my group of friends outright banned the tranqs and those concussion grenades because they literally made the game unplayable from the framerate tanking so hard

Cool link thanks

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If someone ever watched a Golden Eye 64 speedrun, they're mostly looking at the ground because it's the only way to have smooth framerate. I recommend the 2 player coop run in AGDQ 2014:

https://youtu.be/hWDRtyq3Yhg

Well, it's a 2controller1player run wich makes it even more :psyduck:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So how does HacX (specifically the free, 2.0, IWAD version) hold up? Worth a look or should I just stick with regular Doom 2 WADs?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mordja posted:

So how does HacX (specifically the free, 2.0, IWAD version) hold up? Worth a look or should I just stick with regular Doom 2 WADs?

I had fun with it, it's not great but better than half the stuff on idgames.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The levels in the cyberspace are atrocious though. But overall it plays less like Doom and more like an early draft of Duke Nukem or Shadow Warrior.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Early 3D (console) games in general always ran like crap in one way (framerate) or another (draw distance). But back then it wasn't like there was a bunch of 1440p 60fps titles running around. Playing Quake III and Unreal Tournament years later was great, but it didn't really take away from Goldeneye for me. Perfect Dark, however, always felt worse to play than Goldeneye and I just couldn't get into it as much.

I kind of miss the days where game developers would employ all kinds of trickery and wizardry to get a game running on a console that probably shouldn't be able to run on the hardware at all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mordja posted:

Hacx 2.0 is an unfinished mess; you probably mean Hacx 1.2 which is the slightly cleaned-up standalone version.

Hacx 2.0 is supposed to be a complete overhaul to fulfill the original vision, but it's complete vaporware.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

laserghost posted:

The levels in the cyberspace are atrocious though.

I thought you were talking about System Shock for a second and we were about to have A Confrontation.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Wooo just finished RF1024. There was a really annoying tendency to drop in like three Archviles at the end of a stage, and teleporting enemies were way overused, but overall I had a lot of fun with this one!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I thought you were talking about System Shock for a second and we were about to have A Confrontation.

To be fair, cyberspace in System Shock does play kinda weird. The vector look can make it somewhat difficult to navigate and the controls are different from walking, or at least they are if playing the Enhanced Edition.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, there's also the whole "always moving forward" thing that you don't have to contend with in meatspace - though, IIRC, that isn't a thing on lower Cyber difficulties.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Since we bring up Shadow Warrior 2013 every now and then, here's a 12 minute gameplay of Shadow Warrior 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu3A54rz5XQ

Looks amazing in my opinion and from what I've read yes, you can disable the damage numbers and that stuff. Doom and Shadow Warrior being healthy IPs in 2016 is great news!

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, there's also the whole "always moving forward" thing that you don't have to contend with in meatspace - though, IIRC, that isn't a thing on lower Cyber difficulties.

It's not a thing most of the time on any difficulty, except in the little corridors between "rooms".

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Really? I could've sworn it was a thing in the main rooms too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Those of you talking about how OG GoldenEye and Perfect Dark are difficult or frustrating to revisit owe it to yourselves to buy/play the Perfect Dark remastered version on XBL if you haven't already. It is seriously amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I wish I owned an Xbox to play it on, I miss the days of tossing Laptop Guns and explosive Dragons on the ground.

8 MeatSims + 4 Players with nothing but timed and remote mines was funny as hell, too.