Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
One of the DLCs should be some pre-made arenas where you can fight all the bosses or some pre-made group of enemies. (Make it a place for pvp too) (Add some balance patch to make other weapons more viable).

Go alone or summon some friends to fight in the arenas, please FROM :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
They've never made a boss rush or arena in any of their games, don't get your hopes up.

I think it's probably because if a boss rush existed for Bloodborne or DS3 I wouldn't replay any of the rest of the game.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Deified Data posted:

If serious, what did chalices offer that the core game didn't?

a challenge. Core BB was easy as hell.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

^^^^^ :negative:

Beat Untended Graves last night. Champ was hard, but it feels like I died more to the spinny blade peeps and definitely died more to the Black Knights (especially the one guarding the hornet ring).

Now on to Archdragon Peak! This blue sky just seems so wrong...

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Anyone want to take a stab at the lore of Untended Graves? I don't get it at all and it's probably because I missed something obvious.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Farming these covenant items is terrible now, I miss the first few weeks of the game, signs everywhere.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

weekly font posted:

Anyone want to take a stab at the lore of Untended Graves? I don't get it at all and it's probably because I missed something obvious.

It's the real Firelink Shrine. The hub you are used to is a "dream" or pocket reality in the same sense as Archdragon Peak. Much like the hub in Bloodborne, it's an unreal version of a real place, which is why it isn't affected by the Eclipse. The real shrine in Lothric is dark and empty because the Lords of Cinder refused to link the flame, and when the Champion (of Ash) Gundyr came to do it, his rear end got kicked (apparently by you). This caused the flame to never be linked and the abyss swallowed up the shrine and the cemetery. I want this to be linked to how Iudex Gundyr in the fake Firelink Shrine contains a Pus of Man, which is clearly an abyss/dark creature, but it's hard to say. There's a couple of things suggesting that the fake Firelink is in the future from Untended Graves, but I don't know how the gently caress that makes sense. Ludleth also knows about the Untended Graves or at least what they mean (if the Lords don't link the flame, the abyss/dark will take over) because that's why he became a Lord of Cinder. It's not obvious at all what is going on and there's no clear answer to what it all means.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

skasion posted:

It's the real Firelink Shrine. The hub you are used to is a "dream" or pocket reality in the same sense as Archdragon Peak. Much like the hub in Bloodborne, it's an unreal version of a real place, which is why it isn't affected by the Eclipse. The real shrine in Lothric is dark and empty because the Lords of Cinder refused to link the flame, and when the Champion (of Ash) Gundyr came to do it, his rear end got kicked (apparently by you). This caused the flame to never be linked and the abyss swallowed up the shrine and the cemetery. I want this to be linked to how Iudex Gundyr in the fake Firelink Shrine contains a Pus of Man, which is clearly an abyss/dark creature, but it's hard to say. There's a couple of things suggesting that the fake Firelink is in the future from Untended Graves, but I don't know how the gently caress that makes sense. Ludleth also knows about the Untended Graves or at least what they mean (if the Lords don't link the flame, the abyss/dark will take over) because that's why he became a Lord of Cinder. It's not obvious at all what is going on and there's no clear answer to what it all means.

I mean, I can't tell you how spatial and time relationships are supposed to work in Dark Souls, but yes the Dark Firelink Shrine is in the past. Gundyr was a champion who failed to arrive in time; by the time he came the firekeeper was already dead and the flame extinguished. He had failed in his mission, and then we killed him. After that he rests there with the coiled sword testing for those worthy to link the flame.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

weekly font posted:

Alternate reality, maybe? Ludleth seems like he knows about the Dark Firelink shrine, and the coiled sword fragment you get from there teleports you directly back to the "normal" (whatever that's suppose to mean in the context of the whole situation?) firelink shrine. An idea that popped into my head while exploring it was that the lords deciding to just say "gently caress it" wasn't really anticipated, and by the time they realized that they weren't going to show up it was too late to ring the bell. Once that went down, Ludleth (possibly Andre as well, considering he's also absent from Dark Firelink) used the coiled sword to get the hell out of dodge and get a new undead to link the fire, notably leaving behind the Shrine Handmaid and the Firekeeper. The significance of the eyes being in Dark Firelink was also lost on me.

Why you're capable of getting there? ... Well, time and space are concepts that have never really been given firm rules, have they? Whatever the reason for it is, I strongly doubt that there is an euclidean reason for the transition. It's also worth noting that both versions of Firelink are geographically within the same place on the map; if you noclip out of normal firelink through the same way you use to enter untended graves, you'll end up in the Consumed King's arena, but if you then double back you end up in dark firelink.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 19, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The eyes belong to the firekeeper of that shrine. There's been a poo poo ton of firekeepers so that at least makes sense to me.

The question I have is, if Gundyr never caused the flame to be linked, the shrine fell into the abyss, and the age of dark began, why is the rest of Lothric still relatively sunny when you show up? It's not like you can see a big pool of abyss/darkness at the bottom of Lothric Castle where the Shrine should be either.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Finally picked up the Winged Knight Halberd and goddamn does it feel good to pwn noobs with this beautiful beyblade

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

skasion posted:

The eyes belong to the firekeeper of that shrine. There's been a poo poo ton of firekeepers so that at least makes sense to me.

The question I have is, if Gundyr never caused the flame to be linked, the shrine fell into the abyss, and the age of dark began, why is the rest of Lothric still relatively sunny when you show up? It's not like you can see a big pool of abyss/darkness at the bottom of Lothric Castle where the Shrine should be either.

Multiple timelines that mix and repeat themselves are kind of a thing for Dark Souls as a series.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The eyes you find are of the first Firekeeper - or at least, so they say.

The whole series is based on cycles, and the whole debate about the ending of DS1 (and Demon's Souls, I believe) was whether choosing to start the cycle anew or break it was the good/bad ending.

Much like in DS2 where folks in Drangleic acknowledge that there's been plenty of kingdoms on the same spot, Untended Graves may be a vision of a failed cycle - or, since it was possibly the "first" cycle it's remained so all future cycles can see a "here's what happens if you don't link the fire, dipshits".

I would've loved if the Shrine Handmaiden suddenly remembered you from the dark Firelink though.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
She does, if you never talk to the light version of her before meeting the dark one.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The presence of the crystal pupil and some of the background lore about sorcery suggests that Oceiros may have been experimenting with ~~time travel~~, although I dunno if I buy that or not. We do know from DS2 that there are ages of fire and ages of "dark" or the abyss (like the state of Drangleic in that game, since Vendrick chooses not to ascend the throne of want and everything falls apart). Presumably someone, maybe Ludleth, finally got their poo poo together and linked the fire to end that cycle and began the one in which DS3 takes place. That would at least help explain why Ludleth alone is still lucid of the remaining Lords, he's the most recent. His archaic word choice reflects the fact that he's from an entirely vanished era.

My pet theory is that letting the fire fade is the "good" ending because the abyss only exists because it is cast by the First Flame, an analogy that comes from Scholar. The world is going completely to poo poo because the influence of the abyss is inversely proportionate to the weakness of the Flame. At the same time, it won't just die off on its own, which is why the Lothric Bros deciding to abandon their duty actually just condemns reality to becoming increasingly awful instead of being a heroic act.

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 19, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheAnomaly posted:

a challenge. Core BB was easy as hell.

the only challenge to chalice dungeons is not falling asleep

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Untended Graves is the Timeline in which the Twin Princes linked the flame, but afterwards nobody else did and when it went out Gundyr was too late. So the world has fallen to the abyss. Ludleth is actually from that timeline, and he did something special to force the timeline to change, so that he'd linked the flame when nobody else would and set up the Lords stuff because he's really screwed the pooch with this action.

So original timeline is Twin Princes link, flame goes out, Ludleth wills himself Lord resetting Timeline, game. In the game Ludleth linked before Gundyr showed up so Gundyr sticks around.

The original Timeline still technically exists because Ludleth can't actually reverse time in totality he can just create a situation where the flame could be linked again. This is where the silly Lords thing comes from, because Ludleth came up with a new method of linking the fire that will hopefully fix it permanently. Specifically they're all meant to match up with one of the most important characters from Gwyn's stuff. Yhorm is probably Seathe, a descendent of a great and powerful race that ruled over humanity/hollows but allied with them. Lothric, last hope of his line, is Gwyn, first of the gods. Ludleth is the Pygmy, small but powerful. The other two are a mess but you could probably argue either way for both, Aldrich was a normal person who became a monster (Witch) but he's also a mass of corpses (Nito), and the Abyss Watchers are specifically Undead (Nito) but they're also a group of people united by blood (Witch+daughters).

I personally think that the Deep and the Abyss are not the same thing but similar. Abyss comes from wild humanity/dark soul, the Deep comes from wild death/Nito's Soul. Which is what cinches Aldrich=Nito for me.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
is there any reason why you think that Super Lothric Bros have anything to do with the dark shrine or is it just a best guess?

same goes for Ludleth being a time wizard

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

the only challenge to chalice dungeons is not falling asleep

I've literally done that and been startled and woken up to the death screen more than once but I still chalice dive all the time

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
The only game I've ever fallen asleep while actively playing was eve online. That game is boring as poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've done it playing Diablo 3 but I was very tired

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

skasion posted:

I think it's just the past not an alternate reality or version of reality.

Flame starts going out, Bell is rung, Gundyr is late, the Firekeeper gets visions of what would happen if the flame goes out, Ludleth and crew freak the gently caress out, cut out her eyes (and probably start blinding every firekeeper since, because cutting out their tongues was forgotten about between DS1 and 3) and Ludleth goes to link fire himself because he's just that scared (he says this when you show him the eyes). Gundyr finally shows up, while Ludleth and crew are away and as punishment he gets to be Judex and judge the next champions. The reason it's dark is because waiting for Gundyr until Ludleth finally went and linked it himself cut the whole thing really close.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RottenK posted:

is there any reason why you think that Super Lothric Bros have anything to do with the dark shrine or is it just a best guess?

same goes for Ludleth being a time wizard

The first is just based on the location of the Dark Shrine, and that the Lothric Brothers being the last to link works thematically as they're the last you kill.

The Dark Firelink Shrine has some extreme time fuckery going on, because it's in the past for the Shrine Handmaiden, Ludleth and presumably Gundyr. But it's also a future for Yoel of Londor because his ashes can be found there and the Coiled Sword became the Coiled Sword Fragment at some point. Which is why I reckon it's a timeline where the fire actually faded, and thus the Sun went out, like it is doing so at the end of the game. Ludleth says he remembers it and thus willed himself a Lord, to paint a new picture, which sounds to me like someone doing something extreme for one last chance, such as actually straight up re-writing the past, after all the fading of the flame distorts time as the first game said so instead of calling upon a hero of the past as we do Ludleth went the other way and changed the past himself.

Also probably why this linking requires a re-enactment of the first finding, as it's a last chance. The Lords of Cinder are awakening because this is the true last chance, either the fire is linked or it goes out forever, and even linking it might not be enough. They didn't the last time because Ludleth hadn't done whatever he did to paint a new picture.

Gundyr was meant to link the fire, but either it had already gone out in the original timeline or Ludleth had linked it himself in the re-written timeline. His soul also suggests that on his personal timeline the Dark Firelink Shrine is the past, as you get his soul from there so he cannot drop it in the current time.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 19, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Not only that, his armor straight up says that after you beat him in Untended Graves he became sheath to the coiled sword that you pull out of him in the tutorial. Time is bullshit.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hm. The Untended Graves stuff is interesting with all the timey-wimey-ness. I think I was mostly confused about its location in the game, what with being behind a random wall beneath Lothric Castle. The varied timelines in regards to a linked/not linked fire would probably lend to my pet theory that Dark Souls 2 takes place in the timeline where the fire is linked and Dark Souls 3 takes place on the branch where it wasn't, but I'm no Vaati and I ain't putting in the work to write a thesis on it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just assume Dark Souls exists in the same universe as Silent Hill, time and space don't mean the same thing anymore

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Will attacking Yuria after the Wedding cancel the questline?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Friendly Humour posted:

Will attacking Yuria after the Wedding cancel the questline?

Nope, provided you've married already

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

Nope, provided you've married already

She even reacts differently at that point; IIRC she does not turn hostile and basically just takes it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Speaking of lore, I'm really interested in the way Vaati on Youtube is suggesting Angels vs. Sable Church of Londor is 'the real backstory' - very interesting stuff.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is tge game basically the same as launch? gonna replay just want to see if anything has changed really

any recommendation for pvp lvl range in Anor, and maybe a decent melee build?

are greatswords still kind of meh?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It's pretty much the same, couple balance changes but nothing gigantic. You should get tons of hits in AL anywhere from SL50 to SL100 really, after that it thins out a bit but you can still find plenty of PvP/fight clubs right after Sulyvahn at pretty much any level. As far as builds go, I think Raw->Heavy Great Axe is a great way to play the game. Farm it up soon as you get to High Wall, use the raw gem from later in High Wall to get gigantic damage, then switch to the heavy gem you get from Hawkwood once you get the Farron Coal. Pump STR to 40 and you have yourself a weapon for the whole game, with a good option to change over to Yhorm's if you find the short reach on the great axe to be a problem. It's ok for PvP but you have to free aim a lot more and probably get good at parries.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Unless they nerfed it, I imagine the easiest way to make your way through the game is to get the Astora's Straight Sword and infuse it with raw, and then put all your points into Vigor or other survivability stats.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

caldrax posted:

Thanks, that seemed just weird enough to give a shot, but unfortunately, no dice with the cable thing. It works in big picture and with every other game that requires a controller, so I have to think it's something with the Dark Souls patch (as it worked before the patch, too). I've tried DS4 Tool and DS4 Windows, and that hide from other programs thing (admittedly, I can't get that to work, if I close steam and every single other thing on my computer related to games, it still says "close steam and uplay" type things, Googling that gives a bunch of people stabbing in the dark with no real solutions, also). drat.

I've been having controller problems as well. I'm using a PS3 controller and the thing that seems to have fixed it for DS3 Tool was setting my clock back to 2014. If you're using a PS4 controller idk if that would do anything though.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Eonwe posted:

is tge game basically the same as launch? gonna replay just want to see if anything has changed really

any recommendation for pvp lvl range in Anor, and maybe a decent melee build?

are greatswords still kind of meh?

Game is basically the same and a good pvp level for Anor Londo is 50-65 for the Aldrich covenant or any level for honorabruru 1v1 duels.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Who keeps disliking my videos on youtube? I'm genuinely getting annoyed at these dudes who keep posting rubbish on my videos and disliking them too. I swear no one likes my videos because they are all haters and have their own version of how dark souls should be played. Case and point this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCjr4bjxOng which keeps on getting dislikes because I estus'd during a duel because this dude was using a cheap bleed build combo on me. Everyone's like HUR DUR CAN'T DO THAT IN A DUREL U GIT GUD SCRUB!!!! I still see people estus in duels but now I wait for them to estus first so I have an excuse saying I wasn't the first one to do it and I still kill them so jokes on them!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I chug all my estus in front of my challenger as soon as the duel starts because I don't care if I lose and think chugging during one is lame regardless what cheap build my opponent is using. I didn't dislike your videos because I'd rather play the game rather than spend my time watching other people duel on YouTube, but I do dislike your post whining about your YouTube videos' ratings.

I hope the upcoming dlc is good and comes out soon.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Happy Hedonist posted:

I chug all my estus in front of my challenger as soon as the duel starts because I don't care if I lose and think chugging during one is lame regardless what cheap build my opponent is using. I didn't dislike your videos because I'd rather play the game rather than spend my time watching other people duel on YouTube, but I do dislike your post whining about your YouTube videos' ratings.

I hope the upcoming dlc is good and comes out soon.

Why can't you chug from Cheers emote

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MarshyMcFly posted:

Who keeps disliking my videos on youtube? I'm genuinely getting annoyed at these dudes who keep posting rubbish on my videos and disliking them too. I swear no one likes my videos because they are all haters and have their own version of how dark souls should be played. Case and point this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCjr4bjxOng which keeps on getting dislikes because I estus'd during a duel because this dude was using a cheap bleed build combo on me. Everyone's like HUR DUR CAN'T DO THAT IN A DUREL U GIT GUD SCRUB!!!! I still see people estus in duels but now I wait for them to estus first so I have an excuse saying I wasn't the first one to do it and I still kill them so jokes on them!

probably the most bitchmade post out of any dark souls thread, good work loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MarshyMcFly posted:

It's because your videos are poo poo+boring/