Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

but the final defeat of it takes place in the 80s!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Now it doesn't. The whole point is the cycle and those kids coming back as adults, the specific eras don't matter.

Production-side, it's probably also easier to stage only one lost era than two :v:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

yeah that Bev looks like a slut who'd gently caress all her friends

Looks like the most irritating bunch of kids. It's crucial for us to like these kids and want to see them not get bullied. I think I want to see them bullied.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I feel like it specifically being set in 1958 was a large part of the setting and am now feeling trepidation.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I just think that, with the unforseen popularity of Stranger Things, the people running the new production of IT are going to start running with terrible ideas trying to capture the popularity and fandom of that series instead of, you know, capturing what makes IT special.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I just think that, with the unforseen popularity of Stranger Things, the people running the new production of IT are going to start running with terrible ideas trying to capture the popularity and fandom of that series instead of, you know, capturing what makes IT special.

It'll be the Volcano to Dante's Peak.

The Dreamscape to Nightmare on Elm Street.

The Carnosaur to Jurassic Park! :kingsley:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Seems like IT would be really hard to do decently with just a movie, it's probably gonna be poo poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish the stranger things guys had done It as a netflix show.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

oldpainless posted:

I feel like it specifically being set in 1958 was a large part of the setting and am now feeling trepidation.

Eh, the 1958 part never really felt real to me, probably because it was just too far from my experience as someone born in the 80s. Not that I was super familiar with life in the 80s either, but at least I had like cousins who were.

The biggest problem I'd see with it is that there's a few plot points of earlier It-caused horrible events that people the kids know were around for, and which wouldn't work if the story starts in the 80s - but that can be fixed by having them happen to the parents of those characters instead.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Casimir Radon posted:

The 50s are out, the 80s are in. Maybe they can drag in the 90z kidz by having It dump some Nickelodeon slime on them.

"We drink Surge Georgie...we all drink Surge down here!" *clown's eyes become two silver pogs*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh no guys we're gonna die *all the Losers pull out their cell phones to hail an uber*

*pours adderall down the spider's throat* THIS IS BATTERY ACID YOU SLIME

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

instead of popping out of a book of old pictures, Pennywise will manifest the Snapchat icon's ghost into a REAL GHOST that pops out of Ben's iPhone

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

in this movie the kids only hang out in The Barrens because it's a PokeStop.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
do you think the movie will stay true to the source material, and have Ben having a huge dong?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

A Typical Goon posted:

do you think the movie will stay true to the source material, and have Ben having a huge dong?

It loving better

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Man that kid playing Ben is one of those kids so fat they look like they're made of wax. There's fat kids and then there's fat kids, man...

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

The Berzerker posted:

instead of popping out of a book of old pictures, Pennywise will manifest the Snapchat icon's ghost into a REAL GHOST that pops out of Ben's iPhone

Or an 8-bit Pennywise on a NES.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Canuckistan posted:

Or an 8-bit Pennywise on a NES.

Uhm hello, fangs and red eyes? I thought Penny-wise was supposed to be a funny, happy clown like in the original! Revisionist remake BS, that clown is terrifying, 2/10, would not go see movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't think the time period is all that vital to the story. Been a long time since I read IT though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Aquarium Gravel posted:

Uhm hello, fangs and red eyes? I thought Penny-wise was supposed to be a funny, happy clown like in the original! Revisionist remake BS, that clown is terrifying, 2/10, would not go see movie.

this doesn't work.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't think the time period is all that vital to the story. Been a long time since I read IT though.

The time period is very important.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here's a t-shirt someone sent me a message about. It makes no sense to me, and if there's a joke, I don't get it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I'll blow anyone in this thread for a quarter

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cheerfullydrab posted:

Here's a t-shirt someone sent me a message about. It makes no sense to me, and if there's a joke, I don't get it.

the joke is reading is for nerds.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

fishmech posted:

No, absolutely not. In fact they're quite a big problem for light pollution!

They're a big problem for light pollution but they're better for astronomy because they're such narrowband light, they are easy for astronomers to filter out.

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/...R&filetype=.pdf

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Stephen King: Light Pollution Chat

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have a wait and see attitude about IT. The Internet is fast to prejudge and tear apart anything I'm surprised they are leaking so much this early.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I actually own this shirt. The shirt is worn by a kid in the 80's movie Monster Squad.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 20, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cheerfullydrab posted:

How so? I'm genuinely curious.

The only thing I remembered being important time wise was the passage of years between the two main parts of the book. I don't remember anything vital that's significantly needed for the plot being tied specifically into to the time period.

I can't think of a reason they can't move it up a decade or two.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BiggerBoat posted:

How so? I'm genuinely curious.

The only thing I remembered being important time wise was the passage of years between the two main parts of the book. I don't remember anything vital that's significantly needed for the plot being tied specifically into to the time period.

I can't think of a reason they can't move it up a decade or two.

Some of the earlier cycles of It's evil were directly experienced by parents/grandparents in the book, but that's easy enough to fix by making them happen to an earlier generation.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

Except it isn't at all

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's not important, technically, but I really enjoyed the queasy 50s vibes and I felt like they provided a lot of atmosphere. It was just such a totally different time, and the "golden era" setting really complimented the brutal, unforgiving horror of not only IT but of the world around them. Little things like the x-ray machine really set it apart.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I have a wait and see attitude about IT. The Internet is fast to prejudge and tear apart anything I'm surprised they are leaking so much this early.

I actually own this shirt. The shirt is worn by a kid in the 80's movie Monster Squad.

In a better world, Fred Dekker takes Mick Garris' place and directs some of the greatest Stephen King movies of all time.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The only reason the 50's were really important to IT is that King is at his strongest when he's writing in that era. A lot of why that book is so good is because King is so good at telling stories about being a child in the 50's and 60's.

The story would work in another time frame, but King's writing would have been much weaker.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Untrue. Compare the writing of the kids in IT to the writing of the child characters in Under the Dome and they are equally well written.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Speaking of Under the Dome, I just finished it, and while I enjoyed it a lot, this is a dark, dark book. I guess it's not entirely nihilistic, since the message at the end seems to be "people or aliens can not be dicks, sometimes", but it's a very ugly view of humanity nonetheless. It made for hard reading at times, just because King does well at making some truly awful people.

Also while everything in the plot does build up to the big fire, and it does fit with the whole "we destroy ourselves" theme, it's still a very abrupt and not entirely satisfactory ending to the big town plotline. I mean, the actual conclusion to Rennie and all that is fitting, it just feels like more could have been done with the town fully under his control and the resistance before everything goes to poo poo. I know, King endings and all (although I didn't really have a problem with the actual ending to the Dome).

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thanks to this thread, I'm reading IT again for the first time in 23 years. The book has its problems, but drat, what a ride.

I know a lot of people would pick "The Stand", but for me this has always been King's opus.

The ugliness and menace lying just under the surface in Derry is amazing.

And the first time I read it in '93, it was especially disturbing because it of this belief I had when I was a kid, that there was some evil thing that grownups just didn't believe in, weren't capable of believing in, but that could be made flesh by my belief in it. And my fear of it. And I thought it could read my mind, and sort of be drawn by my fear.

Then about fifteen years later I'm reading about Pennywise, and it's kind of like being seven all over again!

One thing I do wonder about the remake is how the child murders and other heinous poo poo in Derry can escape national attention in 1989 and 2016.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lord Hydronium posted:

Speaking of Under the Dome, I just finished it, and while I enjoyed it a lot, this is a dark, dark book. I guess it's not entirely nihilistic, since the message at the end seems to be "people or aliens can not be dicks, sometimes", but it's a very ugly view of humanity nonetheless. It made for hard reading at times, just because King does well at making some truly awful people.

Also while everything in the plot does build up to the big fire, and it does fit with the whole "we destroy ourselves" theme, it's still a very abrupt and not entirely satisfactory ending to the big town plotline. I mean, the actual conclusion to Rennie and all that is fitting, it just feels like more could have been done with the town fully under his control and the resistance before everything goes to poo poo. I know, King endings and all (although I didn't really have a problem with the actual ending to the Dome).

King wrote Under the Dome when he was coming down from the nightmare of the Bush years. A lot of the negativity that he was feeling about politics bled through to the novel. Rennie is supposed to be an amalgam of Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I thought the villains in UTD were kind of caricatures. I didn't believe in them. I know it was satire but.....

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the time period is somewhat important considering why it wakes in 1984. it's certainly something that could happen nowadays still but it's far more likely and believable all those years ago (especially since the murder actually happened).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the time period is somewhat important considering why it wakes in 1984. it's certainly something that could happen nowadays still but it's far more likely and believable all those years ago (especially since the murder actually happened).

Couldn't that murder just become part of the backdrop? I don't think the time period is as important as some people act like it is, but they want it to stay the same just so they're more familiar with the story. Updating it won't hurt it, since they're going to be telling the It story all the same.